Nertea

[1.7.x] Near Future Technologies (various updates September 11)

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

It does work, but for it to be correct, I would have to clip the panels into the Service Module, which is unrealistic, and may prevent them from deploying

Moving parts shouldn't be damaged by striking other pieces of the same vessel. If you have to bury the panel base in the SM, you can assign a hotkey to deploy the panels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

(Just to say that NF Aero is not in ckan) If someone can fix it... thanks !

Edited by chateaudav
misunderstanding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chateaudav said:

(Just to say that NF Aero is not in ckan) If someone can fix it... thanks !

Per the OP, CKAN is only supported for certain mods (NFE, NFSpc, NFP) at the moment. NFA will probably never be supported because the author of a dependency does not want their work on CKAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish more people took the time to READ the OP...as most mod authors usually say in big BOLD print whether their mod is or is not officially supported on ckan....or if its not even allowed due to a dependency's licensing restrictions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some updates of mods:

NF Propulsion 1.1.1

  • KSP 1.7.x
  • Updated bundled B9PartSwitch to 2.7.0
  • Updated RCS parts to track 1.7 RCS changes
  • Updated RLA ion engine patch to target RLA Reborn (thanks pietralbi)

NF Electrical 1.0.1

  • KSP 1.7.x
  • Updated bundled B9PartSwitch to 2.7.0
  • Updated bundled DynamicBatteryStorage to 1.4.1

NF Spacecraft 1.2.3

  • KSP 1.7.x
  • Updated bundled B9PartSwitch to 2.7.0

NF Launch Vehicles 1.1.11

  • KSP 1.7.x
  • Updated bundled B9PartSwitch to 2.7.0
  • Updated ModuleManger to 4.0.2
  • Updated RCS part masses, costs and unlock cost to be in line with 1.7 RCS changes
  • Added a thrustTransform object to the two bottom RCS outlets for both variants of the aerodynamic heavy RCS

In other news, I'm approaching the 50% mark for the NF solar renos. This is way more difficult than anticipated - hey, let's take your most complex mod and REDO IT COMPLETELY, in the process making it MORE COMPLEX! Remind me never to do this again. Here's a small progress update. 

Yesterday I completed the modeling and animation work on the revised OKEB-500. It now has a different shape overall and inspiration - I wanted to add more clearance to the array, and the old folding mechanisms would have been hideous to animate with the new fidelity level I'm targeting.

truss.png

In tandem, because it will share a texture sheet when I get around to unwrapping, its smaller, sibling - the new OKEB-250 (also fully modeled and animated):

two-fiddy.png

Here's also one of the two Concentrator type arrays, both of which have been fully completed - if you look closely you can see a bit of a lens-type specular effect over the cells (more evident in motion ingame).

juicy.PNG

Also worth showing off the new design style for all Blanket type solar arrays, incorporating the taped kapton look that is iconic on the ISS and most newer fancy-folding panels, such as the UltraFlex and MegaFlex array. Not quite complete in these screenshots but shows the direction:

top.PNG

back.PNG

Finally, an ingame shot of the shielded Orion and Dragon style panels:

screenshot11.png

Really, the only two deployable arrays left to model and animate are the two future SpaceX ones - the ITS and the Starship panels. I'm hoping to complete those within the week, then it's a bunch of texture and unwrap work to get them all completed. Then I have to move on to the static and panels, which won't take as long as I don't intend a full remodel, but at least a re-UV and texture is required to maintain a consistent cell size. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Woohooo! Thank you, @Nertea!

Just one question.
When I download Near Future Spacecraft off of SpaceDock, and extract it. In ...
\Near_Future_Spacecraft-1.2.3\GameData, there's this image file. Just sitting there, right below the Module Manage .dll.
Oven-Baked-Chicken-24.jpg
Filename "Oven-Baked-Chicken-24.jpg"
Now, I like chicken, oven-baked or otherwise. I'm just a little bit confused as to how it pertains to KSP. Is it space-chicken?

Edited by DerGolgo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, DerGolgo said:

Woohooo! Thank you, @Nertea!

Just one question.
When I download Near Future Spacecraft off of SpaceDock, and extract it. In ...
\Near_Future_Spacecraft-1.2.3\GameData, there's this image file. Just sitting there, right below the Module Manage .dll.

Filename "Oven-Baked-Chicken-24.jpg"
Now, I like chicken, oven-baked or otherwise. I'm just a little bit confused as to how it pertains to KSP. Is it space-chicken?

That's embarrassing. It's a test image for the packager, I'm not sure how it got in there :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't be embarrassed! Its funny! I dont think anyone would make fun of you for it, since you are practically a demi-god here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sturmhauke said:

Did somebody say space chicken?

ANiTZ1m.png

LMAO @ work...this is too good to pass up!  Great work btw @sturmhauke  

So when the chicken gets to space, is it technically considered fried, broiled, baked, roasted, grilled, poached, or blanched chicken? *

 @Nertea - yet another sincere thank you for the latest updates and maintenance on all of your mods...your parts are integral to every craft I create and really expand my KSP experience.  Awesome work mate! 

* Instructions

  1. Pat the spaceship dry and season with salt and pepper
  2. Marinate the ship for 6 hours in a large hanger
  3. Carefully add the ship to the launch pad and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes
  4. Launch the ship and cook on high until it reaches 45K
  5. Slice and serve to the space Kraken
:cool:
Edited by Red Stapler
cooking infos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Nertea both for making these mods as well as being so prompt about updating them! I've played KSP for many years now, and ever since I found your mods a few playthroughs ago, I can't play KSP without them. Can't wait for the NF Solar update, it looks great so far! Thanks again :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Klime22 said:

Thank you Nertea both for making these mods as well as being so prompt about updating them! I've played KSP for many years now, and ever since I found your mods a few playthroughs ago, I can't play KSP without them. Can't wait for the NF Solar update, it looks great so far! Thanks again :lol:

Thanks!

As a side note, NFLV now has first party support for CKAN installations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red Stapler said:

LMAO @ work...this is too good to pass up!  Great work btw @sturmhauke  

So when the chicken gets to space, is it technically considered fried, broiled, baked, roasted, grilled, poached, or blanched chicken? *

 @Nertea - yet another sincere thank you for the latest updates and maintenance on all of your mods...your parts are integral to every craft I create and really expand my KSP experience.  Awesome work mate! 

* Instructions

  1. Pat the spaceship dry and season with salt and pepper
  2. Marinate the ship for 6 hours in a large hanger
  3. Carefully add the ship to the launch pad and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes
  4. Launch the ship and cook on high until it reaches 45K
  5. Slice and serve to the space Kraken
:cool:

freeze dried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zer0Kerbal said:
3 hours ago, Red Stapler said:

LMAO @ work...this is too good to pass up!  Great work btw @sturmhauke  

So when the chicken gets to space, is it technically considered fried, broiled, baked, roasted, grilled, poached, or blanched chicken? *

 @Nertea - yet another sincere thank you for the latest updates and maintenance on all of your mods...your parts are integral to every craft I create and really expand my KSP experience.  Awesome work mate! 

* Instructions

  1. Pat the spaceship dry and season with salt and pepper
  2. Marinate the ship for 6 hours in a large hanger
  3. Carefully add the ship to the launch pad and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes
  4. Launch the ship and cook on high until it reaches 45K
  5. Slice and serve to the space Kraken
:cool:

freeze dried.

Alas, I can only like this once ;.;

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies for the threadjack, but after looking over that steak recipe once more, I couldn't help myself.

 

Spoiler

Going CTRL+F on that XKCD steak recipe, I cannot find what temperature they propose to heat it to.
There was something going around Facebook not so long ago, I think the proposed cooking-mechanism was to hit the steak with a bat or racket. I think the temperature that suggested the steak should be heated to was between 350°F and 400°F.
Which would reduce any cut of meat to an inedible briquet.

So I'll assume that, lacking such tight definition, the XKCD recipe is actually useful. They even take into account aerodynamic heating, which that thing on facebook hadn't.
Now I wonder whether a mid-air retrieval, akin to the Corona satellite film-capsules, might be feasible. Obviously, something as small and non-metallic as a steak wouldn't show up on radar. But me, I'll sometimes wrap my steak in aluminium foil before putting it in the air-fried. Would that be allowed, maybe?

Perhaps one could do that, and then attack an aerodynamic stabilizer, a tail, also metallic, either containing a transmitter, or optimized for high radar-cross-section (or both).
I doubt that reentry-steak can be a very economical proposition. But I'm sure, a single "reentry steak dinner", perhaps for charitable causes, might attract the likes of Tony Star Elon Musk, he's calling himself Elon Musk now, or Jeff Bezos.

Would the Rutherford engines on RocketLabs launcher, with the electric pumps, count as an electric grill?

BTW: bestest steaks, even from less-than-hurrah cuts: take your steak and apply meat-mallet (there's nothing "tenderizer" about a wooden hammer with spikes!) or that stampy thing with many little blades that pokes holes in the meat. Cover bottom of a flat container, or a plate, in salt. Rough grain, ideally. Place raw steak on salt. Bury steak in salt completely. Like, no bit of meat visible any more at all, looks just a pile of salt. Let sit for 1 hour for every inch of steak-thickness. Wash off the salt and dab steak dry. Insert the probe of your BBQ thermometer (I recommend wireless, that'll let you play Kerbal while the food gets ready and beeps when it's done).

For preparation in an air-fryer, use the flat pan insert, pre-heat with some grease or oil, place steak on it. Turn once when it's about half done.
Alternatively, wrap steak tightly in aluminium foil, place on the little grill-insert of your air-fryer, and just let it fry.
For a contact-grill ("Foreman gril"), just throw the steak in there like you always do.
Important, for any of the three variants: low temperature. Not more than 160°C (320°F). 130°C works fine when you have no veggies in the air frier that cry for a Mallard reaction. Using my contact grill, I'll set it to 1.5 (where 3 is max).

I know the whole salt business makes it sound like it'll be salty and dry. And the salt does draw some fluid out of that steak.
But believe me, this way, you get a steak that's only a little salty (just right, one might say), and is juicy as heck, while the slow cooking maekes it's evenly pink throughout (or red, if you're into that). It's also nice and tender. You know the strips of fat that are liable to dislodge a tooth? The salt-prep method leaves those almost as soft as warm butter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your continued effort on these mods, @Nertea. Been using them for years and they make the game for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Dude i can't stop my feelings for you cause you're so awesome with yours mods, all your mods !

Marry me now ! :D

 

Good work and thanks a lot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Sadgeras said:

Marry me now ! :D

Whoa there, I don’t think @Nertea has any time to marry you even if he wanted to :sticktongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Whoa there, I don’t think @Nertea has any time to marry you even if he wanted to :sticktongue:

I think so too :kiss:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@NerteaThanks a lot for the RLA Reborn Ion engine patch! I was kinda apprehensive about using it because its overpowered and I didn't know how to fix that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sadgeras said:

Hi,

Dude i can't stop my feelings for you cause you're so awesome with yours mods, all your mods !

Marry me now ! :D

 

Good work and thanks a lot

My wife might have some issues with that... ha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're married and still have time to make those awesome mods? Congrats, you must live into M87's black hole or something... :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.