[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

23 hours ago, VaNnadin said:

can you make it's latest version work with KSP 1.4.5 please? i want to use it with RSS/RO. is it gonna be hard?

RSS works in 1.7. RO, on the other hand, does not support the new NFSolar, because the parts have been changed. So even if you somehow fixed the models, it won't help.

Your best bet is to try running RO in 1.7. It might work, but new mods will be unsupported.

Edited by Guest

On 5/15/2019 at 1:40 AM, Friznit said:

Main use is for electric engines like the hall thruster that need short but intense bursts of high power.  Capacitors are lighter than batteries so are useful in small craft such as probes.

I'm now trying to compare Lithium Air batteries to the EC2501 Capacitator.  Where can I find the conversion rate between KilowattHour and EC?  Or Megajoule and EC?

2 hours ago, GDorn said:

I'm now trying to compare Lithium Air batteries to the EC2501 Capacitator.  Where can I find the conversion rate between KilowattHour and EC?  Or Megajoule and EC?

Probably in the KSPI thread, KwH and MJ are KSPI units.

Near Future Solar 1.0.1

• Fixed OKEB-15 and -45 being retractable
  • Fixed OKEB-150 not being retractable
  • Updated Spanish translation
  • Fixed power output of Ares panels

Near Future Construction 1.1.0

•  Updated ModuleManager to 4.0.2
  •  Greyscale and specular recalibration for all trusses to be consistent with Restock (adapters will be tackled later)
  •  Revised truss lithium tanks to use reflective shader for foil as in NFP 1.1+
  •  Revised truss argon tanks to use reflective shader for internal-style argon tanks as in NFP 1.1+
  •  Revised truss liquid hydrogen tank textures to align with future CryoTanks direction
  •  Removed replacement models for Not-Rockomax Micronode and Octagonal strut (now in Restock)
  •  Propagated fixes from restock to the variants of the Cubic Octagonal Strut Micro-Truss parts
  •  Remodeled part of Octo-Girder Heavy Docking Connector to use the Restock style docking port
  •  Remodeled part of Octo-Girder Docking Connector to use the Restock style docking port
  •  Tuned textures of Octo-Girder Octagonal Docking Connector to match docking design language
  •  Fixed larger radial docking connector's docking transform being recessed into the model too far
  •  Added normal maps to spinal trusses
  •  Added normal maps to annular trusses
  •  Added normal maps to radial adapters
  •  Fixed some warnings related to B9PS 2.7.x
  •  Fixed error in CryoTanks patch for some LH2-containing truss parts

Really tired of working on this kind of update, so I'm going to go concentrate on other, actually fun things for the next little while. 

7 hours ago, Nertea said:

[Lots of amazing stuff]

Really tired of working on this kind of update, so I'm going to go concentrate on other, actually fun things for the next little while. 

If it's any consolation, my eyes widened while reading those changes due to the level of attention to detail that goes into all the work you do. Thank you _very_ much.

10 hours ago, Nertea said:

wow. simply wow. thank you. please do - work on fun stuff (for you) because it will be as much fun for us!

On 5/18/2019 at 10:15 PM, Nertea said:

I cannot reproduce this, can you provide exact steps?

I'll see if I can make some repeatable steps with a clean install and everything. If not, then that fixes the problem for me! It's not a high priority, so don't sweat it until I can give you better data. Sounds like other people aren't having the issue.

Out of curiosity, which module is responsible for doing the inflation/deployment animations and whatnot? I want to see if whatever that is has been messed up somehow.

Edited by AmpCat

Okay, got a general question for everyone. Got a new computer, which is about 3 times faster than the old one. However, due to the single threaded simulation  thread for KSP, my frame rate still sucks for large stations moving between Kerbin and Jool or something.

I like using a life support mod of some sort to give me reason to take more than a command pod on say, a 5 year mission. But with the limit on part count imposed by simulation complexity, I'm trying to reduce the number of parts on such ships. @Nertea's mods are the core of my game play. So far, with a few tweaks to USI Life Support to make Kerbals more tolerant of being away from home, and require living space more realistic compared to how much space real space stations have, (so I don't need 100 tons and 50 parts of crew compartments) I've gotten a pretty basic station (with interplanetary ion propulsion) down to about 60 parts, give or take. That should be sufficient, but the two hitches I keep having is RCS and lighting.

Short of massive monopropellant thrusters, it's hard to get enough RCS to turn a 200ton station with any reasonable speed. And then you need to carry lots of monoprop. The more efficient thrusters are great, but you need dozens to turn at any speed. And aside from other mods, there aren't large reaction wheels (which could be debated on how realistic huge reaction wheels are). I've thought that a centrifuge could act as a massive reaction wheel, but I'm not sure how realistic that is for more than one axis of control. As for lighting.. I just really like the ambiance of having light cast upon spacecraft. Looks very nice when done well. But that means another 10-15 parts, or more for large ships. So I'm left with adding a ton of weight for large monoprop thrusters, or adding around 24 or more small efficient thrusters. And I don't have a lot of options when it comes to lighting. The Aviation Lights mod is okay, but has its issues. I'd like to beef these features up without them alone doubling my part count. I have a large station now and I think it has around 60 thrusters and 30 lights. Probably more.

Seems like NFT should have an answer. Maybe I'm not seeing it, or maybe for large vessels it needs some higher end scaling for high-tier RCS and options for illumination. Thoughts? Ideas?

14 minutes ago, AmpCat said:

Okay, got a general question for everyone. Got a new computer, which is about 3 times faster than the old one. However, due to the single threaded simulation  thread for KSP, my frame rate still sucks for large stations moving between Kerbin and Jool or something.

I like using a life support mod of some sort to give me reason to take more than a command pod on say, a 5 year mission. But with the limit on part count imposed by simulation complexity, I'm trying to reduce the number of parts on such ships. @Nertea's mods are the core of my game play. So far, with a few tweaks to USI Life Support to make Kerbals more tolerant of being away from home, and require living space more realistic compared to how much space real space stations have, (so I don't need 100 tons and 50 parts of crew compartments) I've gotten a pretty basic station (with interplanetary ion propulsion) down to about 60 parts, give or take. That should be sufficient, but the two hitches I keep having is RCS and lighting.

Short of massive monopropellant thrusters, it's hard to get enough RCS to turn a 200ton station with any reasonable speed. And then you need to carry lots of monoprop. The more efficient thrusters are great, but you need dozens to turn at any speed. And aside from other mods, there aren't large reaction wheels (which could be debated on how realistic huge reaction wheels are). I've thought that a centrifuge could act as a massive reaction wheel, but I'm not sure how realistic that is for more than one axis of control. As for lighting.. I just really like the ambiance of having light cast upon spacecraft. Looks very nice when done well. But that means another 10-15 parts, or more for large ships. So I'm left with adding a ton of weight for large monoprop thrusters, or adding around 24 or more small efficient thrusters. And I don't have a lot of options when it comes to lighting. The Aviation Lights mod is okay, but has its issues. I'd like to beef these features up without them alone doubling my part count. I have a large station now and I think it has around 60 thrusters and 30 lights. Probably more.

Seems like NFT should have an answer. Maybe I'm not seeing it, or maybe for large vessels it needs some higher end scaling for high-tier RCS and options for illumination. Thoughts? Ideas?

How much RCS thrust do you need? Even the stock Vernier thrusters create 12kN, and I've never made a craft that couldn't turn with those.

2 minutes ago, lordcirth said:

How much RCS thrust do you need? Even the stock Vernier thrusters create 12kN, and I've never made a craft that couldn't turn with those.

Well, you'd need at least one in every axis. There are mono-prop options in NFT that produce similar thrust. I'll take a look at the Vernier again. I had dismissed them early on, but that might be a good way for this scale.

Also, still getting one last B9 part error:

2Zezo7D.png

Probably already aware, but just in case.

4 hours ago, AmpCat said:

Your other options are Tweakscale or a mod with very big RCS thrusters such as SpaceY.

Lights are a challenge - they do tank frames and there's no reasonable way to light up a whole station without multiple parts that I know of.

3 hours ago, Friznit said:

Your other options are Tweakscale or a mod with very big RCS thrusters such as SpaceY.

Lights are a challenge - they do tank frames and there's no reasonable way to light up a whole station without multiple parts that I know of.

Actually, I think Near Future Spacecraft has a couple larger RCS options. Maybe it's NF Aeronautics. But they are in the realm of 4 and 12kN (I guess that's the unit of measure for RCS thrust?)

21 minutes ago, AmpCat said:

Actually, I think Near Future Spacecraft has a couple larger RCS options. Maybe it's NF Aeronautics. But they are in the realm of 4 and 12kN (I guess that's the unit of measure for RCS thrust?)

All RCS and engines in KS P are measured in kN, yes.

8 hours ago, jwenting said:

Spacedock seems to think NF Construction isn't compatible with 1.7. Guess simply an error of Spacedock.

Thanks for the relentless work, Nertea. And yeah, do something you like if it gets tedious :)

In my opinion, NF Construction is based on parts only (aka no plugin such .dll file). Also, Spacedock assumes it's a 1.6.1 mod, for this reason it indicates "Outdated mod" warning, but don't worry about this.

I don't have tested lastest NF yet, unfortunately (I'm too busy actually).

The doubt may I have concerns B9 Part Switch (enclosed is v2.7.0 as dependency, but lastest version is v2.7.1 for KSP 1.7.0) because I've read negative comments about it (against KSP 1.7.0). But must be confirmed...

Edited by DomiKamu

7 minutes ago, DomiKamu said:

In my opinion, NF Construction is based on parts only (aka no plugin such .dll file). Also, Spacedock assumes it's a 1.6.1 mod, for this reason it indicates "Outdated mod" warning, but don't worry about this.

Spacedock makes no assumptions.  It just shows what the mod developer clicked at upload time.  (Or what they clicked last time, for updates.)

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

Spacedock makes no assumptions.  It just shows what the mod developer clicked at upload time.  (Or what they clicked last time, for updates.)

Of course (I agree) because NF Construction is tagged as 1.6.1 => Spacedock assumes as "outdated", it's simple ;)

16 minutes ago, DomiKamu said:

The doubt may I have concerns B9 Part Switch (enclosed is v2.7.0 as dependency, but lastest version is v2.7.1 for KSP 1.7.0) because I've read negative comments about it (against KSP 1.7.0). But must be confirmed...

The only problem with B9 Part Switch is it's causing players to freak out. The latest version is actually showing you errors in B9PS configurations from mods that used to only be dumped to the log. The problems have always been there, but since most people don't look at their logs, they weren't aware of the problems. Since B9PS is now throwing it in the player's face they freak out and think B9PS is broken. This is not a problem with B9PS, it's a problem with the mod with the bad config file causing the warning.

2 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

The only problem with B9 Part Switch is it's causing players to freak out. The latest version is actually showing you errors in B9PS configurations from mods that used to only be dumped to the log. The problems have always been there, but since most people don't look at their logs, they weren't aware of the problems. Since B9PS is now throwing it in the player's face they freak out and think B9PS is broken. This is not a problem with B9PS, it's a problem with the mod with the bad config file causing the warning.

Thanks Tonka Crash for this useful info! ;)

11 hours ago, jwenting said:

Spacedock seems to think NF Construction isn't compatible with 1.7. Guess simply an error of Spacedock.

Thanks for the relentless work, Nertea. And yeah, do something you like if it gets tedious :)

Yeah I did a stupid. Here's some fixes and updates:

NF Construction 1.1.1

• Fixed version specification not allowing KSP 1.7.x
  • Updates to Russian localization (Sool3)
  • Fixed some unlocalized strings in older parts (Sool3)

NF Solar 1.0.2

• Some fixed manufacturers (Sool3)
  • Added Russian localization (Sool3)

NF Spacecraft 1.2.4

• Added patch for Universal Storage 2 adding nodes to the 3.75m service tank (thanks Zorg)
  • Updates to Russian localization (Sool3)
  • Removed chicken from distribution

1 minute ago, Nertea said:
  • Removed chicken from distribution

Now that's definitely not something that you often see in those changelogs. :) 

If you'll excuse the chonky test craft :P , here's a preview of the new Universal Storage patch for the 3.75m service tank in NFS. 5x2height wedges on each side for plenty of life support and science equipment.

X7DcNJPh.jpg