[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

4 hours ago, Nertea said:

You would lose the advantage/disadvantage trade space between Argon and Xenon, I don't think it makes things harder or easier, it just gives you fewer options. Argon is still used by some engines under this patch, the HETs are the only things that are changed.

In general installing this will get all the engines using blue glowy plumes.

Aren’t the Argon/Xenon thrusters slightly better when using Argon? That pushed me over the edge to go Argon. 

Is there any way to remove the spotlight from the Pandora command module? It's still pretty busted in the 1.7 version, so the idea came to me to get rid of the buggy light altogether, allowing me to use the pod without constantly illuminating the universe. I'm guessing it boils down to deleting a line of code or two?

Edited by GJdude

29 minutes ago, GJdude said:

Is there any way to remove the spotlight from the Pandora command module? It's still pretty busted in the 1.7 version, so the idea came to me to get rid of the buggy light altogether, allowing me to use the pod without constantly illuminating the universe. I'm guessing it boils down to deleting a line of code or two?

// Command pods have lights on not bound to ActionGroup
// Author: slubman
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleColorChanger]]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[ModuleColorChanger]
	{
		%defaultActionGroup = None
	}
}

// Cockpits and cabins not bound to ActionGroup
// Author: slubman
@PART[*Cabin*|*Cockpit*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
	{
		%defaultActionGroup = None
	}
}

This MM patch is in my career, haven't gotten to Pandora yet, but this should do the trick.

1 hour ago, GJdude said:

Nice, but unfortunately I have almost no idea how MM patches work. Do I paste this into a file somewhere?

Create a directory in <your game>/GameData and call it zzMyMM (or some similar; MM patches are found alphabetically by folder and you want yours to run last).  Copy the text above and paste into a new text file with a .cfg extension created in your MM folder.  Name it for the function it performs.

I also recommend you copy this folder somewhere outside of the KSP directory structure.  If you delete the old game, accidentally or otherwise, you have a backup (I've done this).

Edited by Brigadier
Clarity

1 hour ago, Brigadier said:

MM patches are found alphabetically by folder and you want yours to run last

Alphabetically inside each pass, yes. Module Manager runs multiple passes on startup, so that you have options of sorting patches other than by alphabetical naming. These passes are :FIRST, :BEFORE[mod], :FOR[mod], :AFTER[mod], and :FINAL. Among these, :FIRST is the default pass that runs all patches that do not have any pass specified (or have :FIRST specified, but that's kinda redundant and therefore optional). :FOR[mod] goes after that, and is the pass in which mod authors are supposed to put all the stuff their own mod does; :BEFORE[mod] and :AFTER[mod] are fallback options if they have to work around another mod's changes, and do exactly what they say. Lastly, :FINAL runs after everything else is said and done, and is the go-to pass for the player's individual tweaks.

Since Lathari's suggested patches are already tagged :FINAL, the exact name of the folder they are placed in will not matter, except in the context of other :FINAL patches.

For what it's worth, though, I do normally name my folder "zzTweaks", for the sole reason of not having to search for it in a large modded instance because I know it will always be at the bottom. ;)

I've applied the patch, but sadly it didn't fix the issue - the Pandora still has an ever-present spotlight coming out of the top of it. Might try rooting through some files to see what I can do about it. Not having things with lights map to the light action group by default is very nice, though.

Hi, I'm on vacation but

1) please submit any updates or improvements to external compatibility as pull requests

2) the interaction between the cabin windows and the spotlight causes problems because squad are idiots and the two modules cause conflicts. In fact they even cause conflicts when they're not on the same part. I can't fix this without writing custom code so next update will disable this feature.

4 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Alphabetically inside each pass, yes. Module Manager runs multiple passes on startup, so that you have options of sorting patches other than by alphabetical naming. These passes are :FIRST, :BEFORE[mod], :FOR[mod], :AFTER[mod], and :FINAL. Among these, :FIRST is the default pass that runs all patches that do not have any pass specified (or have :FIRST specified, but that's kinda redundant and therefore optional). :FOR[mod] goes after that, and is the pass in which mod authors are supposed to put all the stuff their own mod does; :BEFORE[mod] and :AFTER[mod] are fallback options if they have to work around another mod's changes, and do exactly what they say. Lastly, :FINAL runs after everything else is said and done, and is the go-to pass for the player's individual tweaks.

Since Lathari's suggested patches are already tagged :FINAL, the exact name of the folder they are placed in will not matter, except in the context of other :FINAL patches.

For what it's worth, though, I do normally name my folder "zzTweaks", for the sole reason of not having to search for it in a large modded instance because I know it will always be at the bottom. ;)

Actually, the FIRST pass is a seperate pass. The legacy no-specifier-pass happens in between FIRST and BEFORE. There's also LAST, which comes just before FINAL.
Agreed with the rest. Adding a z to folder/filenames should be a thing of the past.

More about patch ordering: https://github.com/sarbian/ModuleManager/wiki/Patch-Ordering

Edit: Reading back my "Actually.." I just realized I'm *that guy* right now. My apologies. ;)

Edited by Jognt

8 hours ago, Jognt said:

Edit: Reading back my "Actually.." I just realized I'm *that guy* right now. My apologies.

No worries, you didn't sound rude. :) I appreciate the correction. The behavior is different from what I remember, it must have been changed with an update over time. Like most people, I don't exactly follow the details of MM updates because, you know... it's just there, and it just works!

@fragtzack Tech tree additions...? Near Future doesn't touch the tech tree. It ships a patch that provides support for Community Tech Tree, but out of the box, all the parts go into stock tech nodes.

If you have other mods, check if those might be responsible. If you have Community Tech Tree, check that you installed it correctly and that it works as intended.

37 minutes ago, fragtzack said:

Think figured it out, I have community tech tree and hide empty nodes mod installed.

Check your difficulty settings menu for HETTN settings. The default settings for that should properly grandparent orphaned nodes, maybe that got changed on your install?

REMOVED ALL DEPRECATED OLD SOLAR PANEL PARTS

As I am migrating a save from an older version, is there a list of these deprecated old solar panel parts and comparable replacements?  Would hate to see my 4+ year save go away.   Specifically I get complaints of the following:

solarpanel-deploying-1x3-1

solarpanel-deploying-1x4-1

solarpanel-deploying-1x4-2

Much thanks for your consideration.

Hello

I have to report a bug. It's nothing huge but the near future system manager is showing me wrong values. I have a colossus engine which uses 3000 ec/s but while in flight with the engine on and running near future system manager says it is using 30 ec/s. Since my battery always goes empty when i start it this value is wrong. Anyways i really like this mod!

P.S. It shows the right value in the VAB

18 hours ago, ItchyBrother said:

As I am migrating a save from an older version, is there a list of these deprecated old solar panel parts and comparable replacements?  Would hate to see my 4+ year save go away.   Specifically I get complaints of the following:

If removal of deprecated parts keeps your save from loading, you can import them yourself from an old download. As long as the files are present, your existing vessels in flight should not break.

23 hours ago, ItchyBrother said:

Best to install an older version of the mod and remove those parts from your ships. From the names I suspect those are the Juno, Dragon and Orion panels that you should be able to find an exact replacement (names will be something-juno something-dragon, something-orion).

Best to install an older version of the mod and remove those parts from your ships. From the names I suspect those are the Juno, Dragon and Orion panels that you should be able to find an exact replacement (names will be something-juno something-dragon, something-orion).

You are most kind.  Thank you for your assistance as well Streetwind.

19 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

I apologise if I sound demanding or impatient, but does anybody know what would cause this issue and what I can do to fix it?

Ask BDB to implement it, because CT takes the 'nice' approach and bows out whenever it detects other mods' tanks having switchers and leaves them alone.

On 11/7/2019 at 7:47 PM, Nertea said:
  • REMOVED ALL DEPRECATED OLD SOLAR PANEL PARTS

And, suddenly I understand why a bunch of parts were apparently hidden in the VAB... I guess I should have been paying more attention.  Was this deprecation for balance reasons?...