[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

18 minutes ago, ItCameFromDuna said:

I have a feature request for the coming update: Can the reactor structure on NFE be made so the default is "TopNode" (somehow that auto-corrected to Gilmore)? I find it annoying to have to place my reactor on top of my spacecraft, change the part type, and then place it where I want. If the answer is no, can someone tell me how do change this for myself?Thanks!

I believe that has been done already :)

On 6/11/2017 at 2:58 PM, TheRagingIrishman said:

Thank you for being one of the few people who actually read an OP before posting :rolleyes:

i read it. figures that just as ckan gets fixed, and i decide to get back into ksp, squad would do a breaking update

I'm down to one task for the 1.3 update... cleaning up the IVAs for the PPD-1 and Mk4-1 pods. This is fixing holes, tweaking prop locations, adjusting lighting... This is a pretty annoying process, but look! The Mk 3-9 is about done!

9LLoHfi.png

It also got some general improvements to the textures and wow, a normal map!

Looks grand :) Time after time NFT is my most anticipated mod set. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is it breaking my Nerva powered tugs because iirc NFT swaps LF for LH2... No matter though I guess since I'll be redoing all of my old super efficient lithium powered hauler designs :D

You know something I wondered before... I remember way back someone created a B9 design exposition thread where people showed off what they did with the pack... Has anyone ever created anything similar for NFT?

Edited by Immashift

6 hours ago, Immashift said:

The only thing I'm slightly worried about is it breaking my Nerva powered tugs because iirc NFT swaps LF for LH2...

NFT hasn't done that for a long time now - that functionality has moved to Kerbal Atomics, another of Nertea's mods. :wink: 

2 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

NFT hasn't done that for a long time now - that functionality has moved to Kerbal Atomics, another of Nertea's mods. :wink: 

Hah. Honestly I bundle everything Nertea creates wholesale into my saves so I forget exactly what does what. Good to know though, thanks.

On 6/13/2017 at 3:49 PM, Nertea said:

I'm down to one task for the 1.3 update... cleaning up the IVAs for the PPD-1 and Mk4-1 pods. This is fixing holes, tweaking prop locations, adjusting lighting... This is a pretty annoying process, but look! The Mk 3-9 is about done!

9LLoHfi.png

It also got some general improvements to the textures and wow, a normal map!

That looks absolutely outstanding, I love it. I hope the 1.3 release includes electric. I just need those capacitors redone and I can resume my old career. I am just concerned looking at that cockpit that I may be having to land this  baby from third person constantly because from first person it's going to have to be a landing by instruments with that view.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

On 6/13/2017 at 8:00 PM, Immashift said:

You know something I wondered before... I remember way back someone created a B9 design exposition thread where people showed off what they did with the pack... Has anyone ever created anything similar for NFT?

An NFT Showroom? I wanna see! :P I own the OPT Spaceplane Showroom and in it someone posted a mothership with sistership, both of which run on Lithium. According to the poster they have near-exact dV, around 15km/s.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

10 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

An NFT Showroom? I wanna see! :P I own the OPT Spaceplane Showroom and in it someone posted a mothership with sistership, both of which run on Lithium. According to the poster they have near-exact dV, around 15km/s.

Obligatory image of my old .25 mothership + lander before Lithium existed in NFT. Gonna have to do a redesign :P this thing had 27km/s and did the entire planetfactory system. 

CNPzyly.jpg

qTIXpgU.jpg

was also before I started forcing myself to play with life support... 

Edited by Immashift

14 minutes ago, Immashift said:

Obligatory image of my old .25 mothership + lander before Lithium existed in NFT. Gonna have to do a redesign :P this thing had 27km/s and did the entire planetfactory system. 

was also before I started forcing myself to play with life support... 

If you have many more like that you can open the NFT Showroom yourself, you know. :wink: I have one or two craft waiting to post there.

What did it run on to have 27km/s? And surely the burn times would have driven you mad.

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

If you have many more like that you can open the NFT Showroom yourself, you know. :wink: I have one or two craft waiting to post there.

What did it run on to have 27km/s? And surely the burn times would have driven you mad.

Perhaps I'll start one up when I get home from work then. Not sure how many more I have. My screenshot folder got deleted between versions so I only have what I saved elsewhere or posted here. But I know more people than just me have designs kicking around they can show off. 

That thing ran on xenon. I wasn't a super huge fan of xenon but it was the most efficient thing to run it off of back then. I plan on remaking it with life support, a new lander, and using Lithium engines as soon as NFT is updated. :)

I was actually working on a life support version that ran on hydrogen and converted tanks of water produced by greenhouses into fuel. Buuuuuuuut then hydrogen and NFT sort of separated :P

Burn times weren't incredibly bad. Usually something like 16 minutes for an injection or transfer burn. The big ol' heat shield was fun to aerobrake with.

Edited by Immashift

NF Propulsion 0.9.0

• ALL ION ENGINE CLUSTERS COMPLETELY DEPRECATED
  • KSP 1.3
  • Updated bundled MM to 2.8.0
  • Updated bundled B9PartSwitch to 1.8.0
  • Updated bundled CRP to 0.7.1
  • Switched to 1.3 string localization
  • Fixed thrust transform on 1.25m VASIMR
  • Completely rebalanced all electric engines
  • Rebalanced all Xenon tanks to have a mass ratio of 4 (including stock Xenon tanks)
  • Modified the effective volume of all Xenon tanks to be closer to stock effective volumes
  • Rebalanced all Argon tanks to have a mass ratio of 4
  • Rebalanced all Argon tanks to contain a similar fuel mass to Xenon tanks
  • Rebalanced all Lithium tanks to have a mass ratio of 4
  • Slightly rebalanced the contents of lithium tanks to match stock volumes
  • Changed nomenclature of thrust/Isp slider on VariableIspEngines
  • Plugin performance optimizations

NF Electrical 0.9.0

• KSP 1.3
  • Updated bundled CRP to 0.7.1
  • Full localization support for parts and plugins
  • New sub-plugin: DynamicBatteryStorage
    • Dynamically adjusts EC storage to combat KSP crap resource mechanics at high timewarp
    • Should dramatically reduce instances of EC loss at high timewarp
  • Revised many part descriptions, tags and names
  • Revised costs of batteries to correctly match stock batteries
  • Revised costs of capacitors to be slightly more expensive (~1.5x) than before
  • Battery and capacitor mass values are now 100% consistent
  • Reactor numbering system revised for better sorting
  • All reactors are now their inline variant by default
  • MX-3L Hermes reactor now generates 6000 kW, up from 5000 kW. All other stats adjusted to match
  • Rebalanced cost and mass of all reactors
  • Reduced electricity storage of all reactors to 50% of kW
  • Rebalanced mass and cost of all nuclear fuel containers
  • Reduced price of PB-AS-NUK RTG
  • Increased mass of Whirlijig Nuclear Reprocessor
  • Adjusted recipes for Whirlijig reprocessing/extraction to be less weird
  • DecayingRTGs patch now cuts price of affected RTGs by 50%
  • Changed CLS patch to behave better when CLS is not around
  • Cleaned up FissionReactor config blocks for clarity
  • Significant improvements to KA integration code

NF Construction 0.8.0

• KSP 1.3
  • Normalized some part internal names
  • Improved naming of most truss parts
  • Converted to KSP 1.3 localization string methods
  • Small tweaks to masses and costs of many parts

NF Solar 0.8.0

• KSP 1.3
  • Converted all part name/descriptions to localization system
  • Rebalanced solar panel masses and costs for more consistency
  • Removed retractable part search tag from parts that are not retractable
  • Renamed some solar panels to increase consistency and ease of inter-panel comparison
  • Reworked manufacturer names to reduce the number of new manufacturers
  • Adjusted position of suncatcher transforms on SOL-A, NIV-3 and NIV-16 panels
  • K7R 1x4 Concentrating Photovoltaic Panels are no longer retractable
  • Adjusted shaders for many panels to improve looks
  • Added K7R 1x4 Concentrating Photovoltaic Panels and K5R 1x3 Concentrating Photovoltaic Panels, variants of two current panels with added shrouds and retractability
  • Added SOL-B Expanding Curved Solar Array (3.75m to 10m expanding curved solar array)
  • Added OKEB-125 Blanket Solar Array (based on NASA asteroid tug concept)
  • Added OKEB-75 Blanket Solar Array (based on SpaceX ITS solar array concept)

NF Spacecraft 0.7.0

• OLD ORBITAL ENGINES FULLY DEPRECATED
  • KSP 1.3
  • Full localization support for all parts
  • New textures for Mk4-1, Mk3-9 and PPD-1 pods
  • New model and texture for PPD-24 Itinerant
  • Improved textures for all monopropellant tanks and service tanks
  • Mk4-1 pod now has toggleable shroud "skirts" that change attachment options and slightly increase thermal tolerances
  • Checked the exhaust transforms on all RCS parts
  • Reduced vacuum Isp of all monopropellant engines by 10-20s
  • All RCS parts have been set to physicsless
  • Many IVA-related fixes
  • Fixed USI-LS patch for Mk4-1 pod
  • Improved Mk 3-9, PPD-24 and PPD-1 IVAs
    •  Fixed some holes
    •  Better lighting
    •  Better diffuse map, new normal maps
    •  Realigned and improved props
  •  Improve Mk 4-1 IVA
    • Fixed some holes
    •  better lighting
    •  Realigned props
  •  IVA RPM integration disabled for now
  •  NF Props updated
    • Now versioned (0.1.0 is current)
    •  Removed many less useful props
    • Fixed transform centering of remaining props
    • RPM functions of RPM-enabled props are now applied using MM, avoiding error messages when RPM is not installed

Great, great thanks to @Streetwind for all his balance work

And now I go to sleep.