[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

1 minute ago, RaiderMan said:

@K1productions how much fuel did we end up left with on the second stage the last few times? if I recall rightly it was enough for a deorbit of the second stage but not enough to do anything with otherwise?

About half a tank full, I may shorten the second stage a bit in our next run (which is probably 2 vids away at this point) to compensate

I'm having some issues cooling a NFE reactor using NF radiators.

I'm on ksp 1.2.2. the reactor .cfg says this is NFE 0.7.3.

I'm trying to use the "MX-4 'GARNET' Fission Reactor" but I cannot cool it once it is in a vacuum, on the ground everything is fine but once it isn't it'll overheat even on 5% power. I'm probably missing something here, can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong? Heat mechanics are a bit confusing to me. 

I'm using what I believe are NF radiators, oversized for a reactor this small (seems to me) but it isn't enough even at a fraction of the power.

QFQg4EP.png

wqUKfqA.png

Those are KSP Interstellar radiators, by the right-click menu. The mod as a whole can be ... wonky, and doesn't like to use stock mechanics, which NF does for heat and such. Use a radiator that doesn't have the wasteheat resource assigned and try again.

Is that so? The "manufacturer" for the reactor and the radiator is "kerb kastria inc", so i figured they were both NF.

Either way, looks like all my radiators have a "waste heat" resource assigned. Is this some sort of KSPi patch screwing me over? I'll try editing out the wasteheat resource and see what happens.

Looks like you're definitely getting some KSPI contamination there. Those are repackaged, stretched and recoloured versions of my parts. 

I'm not sure what the latest state of the integration between KSPI and NFT is (it's fully managed by FreeThinker) but if you're trying to run both mods at once, I'd ask him. 

The same configuration with the latest versions of KSPi and NFT installed in 1.3 seems to work just fine, so it is possible this "bug" has been fixed already. I really don't want to abandon yet another advanced career save, so I'll look around for a fix for this 1.2.2. mess, if possible. Either way, thanks!

On 29.08.2017 at 1:31 PM, SilentWindOfDoom said:

The same configuration with the latest versions of KSPi and NFT installed in 1.3 seems to work just fine, so it is possible this "bug" has been fixed already. I really don't want to abandon yet another advanced career save, so I'll look around for a fix for this 1.2.2. mess, if possible. Either way, thanks!

I'd recommend you attemt to port the save over to 1.3. I have done that with mods before so it shouldn't be a problem.

Time to start building a Space Station in orbit.  The new modules also include parts from Nertea's Stockalike Station Parts Expansion https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/155480-130-stockalike-station-parts-expansion-june-26/

and this was a fun-ass mod to play with, just like the Near Future mods ^_^

Trying to min-max an ion engine setup today had me think of an interesting possible feature. It would be nice to have a button or some way to initiate a cascade of every individual capacitor, one after another. (Right now I just do it by hand.) Instead of dumping a metric truckload, a nice long distribution of moderate charge is incredibly useful for some situations. Or perhaps there's some simple way to script this with mechjeb or something?

In a wholly separate vein, I was trying out the lil' reactors, and I have what should be adequate cooling for the two (a pair of small radiators on each, and the reactors are adjacent so they should share the heat distribution). However, if I enter time warp (it is stable during physics warp or just regular gameplay) then the temperature eventually starts to spike and cause an overheat. Should I just use excess cooling or is there another problem here?

4 hours ago, Ivy said:

However, if I enter time warp (it is stable during physics warp or just regular gameplay) then the temperature eventually starts to spike and cause an overheat. Should I just use excess cooling or is there another problem here?

This is a know issue with the stock heat management mechanics during time warp; Nertea has been trying for some time to find a workable solution.  I think the heat management is supposed to get an update with KSP 1.3.1 so we can hope for good things.

21 minutes ago, Nergal8617 said:

This is a know issue with the stock heat management mechanics during time warp; Nertea has been trying for some time to find a workable solution.  I think the heat management is supposed to get an update with KSP 1.3.1 so we can hope for good things.

Oh, good to hear. I'll just have to bear it for now then!

6 hours ago, Nergal8617 said:

I've never worried about heat (as in the use of radiators) before because I never played a game long enough to get to where I needed to.  However, I intend to change that with my current playthrough, so my question is: Is just adding more radiators than necessary a decent workaround until the heat fix?  Or does everything overheat no matter how many radiators you add?

9 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Hey guys, just a note that I'm probably out for a while due to RL stuff. Anyone who steps up to answer questions when I'm gone, it's greatly appreciated.

Hope everything is ok and it isn't "RL from hell".  We'll hear from you when you return.

11 hours ago, MaxxQ said:

I've never worried about heat (as in the use of radiators) before because I never played a game long enough to get to where I needed to.  However, I intend to change that with my current playthrough, so my question is: Is just adding more radiators than necessary a decent workaround until the heat fix?  Or does everything overheat no matter how many radiators you add?

More radiators can work(I think), just keep in mind that some of the larger reactors are going to require insane amounts of cooling if you do it that way.  I personally have never tried to use a large reactor on a mobile vessel, all of my reactors are in ground bases where I have parts from another mod that provide massive cooling while on the ground.

Edited by Nergal8617

On 9.9.2017 at 6:36 AM, Ivy said:

Trying to min-max an ion engine setup today had me think of an interesting possible feature. It would be nice to have a button or some way to initiate a cascade of every individual capacitor, one after another. (Right now I just do it by hand.) Instead of dumping a metric truckload, a nice long distribution of moderate charge is incredibly useful for some situations. Or perhaps there's some simple way to script this with mechjeb or something?

Lack of automation is an intentional balancing decision because capacitors are OP. :P 

On 10.9.2017 at 8:23 AM, Ivy said:

In a wholly separate vein, I was trying out the lil' reactors, and I have what should be adequate cooling for the two (a pair of small radiators on each, and the reactors are adjacent so they should share the heat distribution). However, if I enter time warp (it is stable during physics warp or just regular gameplay) then the temperature eventually starts to spike and cause an overheat. Should I just use excess cooling or is there another problem here?

This genuinely surprises me, because when I last tested reactors on 1.3, I was generally able to cool any size reactor (or anything else implementing ModuleCoreHeat) with a single tiny radiator panel. I even made a bug report about it which Squad confirmed as being reproducable. So either there was a hotfix, or this bug is even more complex than it first appeared.

Back at it again for part IV.  The primary inclusion this time is from the Stockalike Station Parts expansion, though I think that still applies under the broad scope of Nertea's awesome mods.  Also upgraded the Command Module with parts from the Kerbal Reusability Expansion, which gives us some Dragon-style parts.  Can't wait to try landing this thing :P

Also, a side note, the low quality of these vids has been pointed out.  I will try to boost it up to 720p for part 5, if I can navigate my way through settings without breaking something.

Edited by K1productions