[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

On 5/31/2018 at 2:10 AM, dlrk said:

Is there a manual or wiki or anything explaining the reactor GUI and their use?

It has not been necessary up until now. Could you explain what part of the UI confuses you? Perhaps it can be improved.

@dlrk The second one? That's also auto-shutdown! :P

When you change that slider, the numbers that change should look familiar to you: they're the timewarp steps. What this slider does is define an optional auto-shutdown upon hitting a certain timewarp level.

Just checking in the event I'm doing something wrong (which is likely. I'm rather decaffeinated).

I''ve got a reactor fitted to one of my ships. It works fine, cooled appropriately, and combined with TAC-LS keeps enough power to keep my Kerbals alive. Except when I'm advancing time while in another ship, the reactor is not providing power and the Life Support crashes. Is there something missing on this side that may be causing this?

As long as you remain focused on the vessel, your reactor should not stop providing power under time warp unless you have an auto-shutdown threshold defined. Check your reactor control panel.

Does it happen as soon as you enter any form of time warp, or only above a certain level?

@Messernacht It is a known issue with TAC LS, when the ship is unfocused, only stock providers of EC are counted. There are a few other sources that work, but NFT reactors do not. Check the TAC LS thread for moire information. Nertea cannot help you with this one, and JPL-repro is busy but says soon(TM).

On 6/8/2018 at 7:35 AM, Freshmeat said:

@Messernacht It is a known issue with TAC LS, when the ship is unfocused, only stock providers of EC are counted. There are a few other sources that work, but NFT reactors do not. Check the TAC LS thread for moire information. Nertea cannot help you with this one, and JPL-repro is busy but says soon(TM).

That explains it quite nicely. I'll go check in there. Cheers.

4 minutes ago, Kerbal01 said:

@Nertea having an issue with the upper stage engine mount from Near Future Launch vehicles. 1.4.3, all Near Future mods as downloaded from Spacedock. The shroud shows up in the VAB, but not in flight. https://imgur.com/a/GlH4kjF

I have similar issues with some of the Cryo Engines and NF engines. As they seem to be purely visual, I have ignored them. It's possible, however, that they could be an issue with FAR if the FAR voxel-based lift and drag doesn't see the shrouds. But FAR is not released for 1.4 yet.

I believe you mentioned that fusion engines and fusion reactors were when a viable prototype was made.  Recently there have been prototypes of both (as well as smaller molten salt reactors by NASA).

The fusion engine is by NASA and it's a simple pellet engine, like everyone thought would be the first out the door.  A nice big yoke driver coil acts as a fusion augmented mass driver on the fusion pellets.

The functional fusion reactor is by Applied Fusion in France.  I can see why you waited, they are lot different than earlier non-viable prototypes.  They utilize an a plasma injector into a molten metal well, and then compress that well with steam pistons.  This allows rapid reset, self powered reset and an net output of roughly 5-50MW on the final design (less for the smaller prototypes they are working with now to fine tune the process).  It also has no reliance on manufactured fuel pellets.  It's pretty neat looking too, the reactor is this sphere with massive pistons sticking out from every angle and one massive plasma injector yoke.  It's all supported by a huge super-capacitor bank to drive the injector and of course a steam system to drive the compression pistons.

Edited by Ruedii
more details on the fusion engine design.

15 hours ago, Ruedii said:

I believe you mentioned that fusion engines and fusion reactors were when a viable prototype was made.  Recently there have been prototypes of both (as well as smaller molten salt reactors by NASA).

The fusion engine is by NASA and it's a simple pellet engine, like everyone thought would be the first out the door.  A nice big yoke driver coil acts as a fusion augmented mass driver on the fusion pellets.

The functional fusion reactor is by Applied Fusion in France.  I can see why you waited, they are lot different than earlier non-viable prototypes.  They utilize an a plasma injector into a molten metal well, and then compress that well with steam pistons.  This allows rapid reset, self powered reset and an net output of roughly 5-50MW on the final design (less for the smaller prototypes they are working with now to fine tune the process).  It also has no reliance on manufactured fuel pellets.  It's pretty neat looking too, the reactor is this sphere with massive pistons sticking out from every angle and one massive plasma injector yoke.  It's all supported by a huge super-capacitor bank to drive the injector and of course a steam system to drive the compression pistons.

See Far Future Technologies in Nert's Dev Thread

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/47223-wip-nerts-dev-thread-current-sspx-redux-alphas/

3 hours ago, Windspren said:

Which is IIRC currently on hiatus due to the buggy KSP heat modeling system, leading to random explodifying of the FFT parts. Mind you, I'd like to to see the out and about in KSP 1.4.x, but it might be a while...

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

Where is the new 1.25m Docking Port? I want to disable it so the part reverts to the VSR model, but can't find it.

Unless I am a complete derb, it is part of Space Station Expansion Redux. Look for the appropriate patch file under "...\GameData\StationPartsExpansionRedux\Patches\SSPXr-StockPartReplacements.cfg", the relevant patch is in line 237ff.

1 hour ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Is there any way to install just decaying RTGs and not the entire Near Future Electrical mod? My laptop isn't particularly good, I have quite a few mods installed and I don't have a use for any of the other parts the mod offers.

Just remove everything from "GameData/NearFutureElectrical" folder except folder "Plugins", and do not forget to copy NFElectricalRTGPatch.cfg file from "Extras" somewhere to GameData.

16 hours ago, Judicator81 said:

Just remove everything from "GameData/NearFutureElectrical" folder except folder "Plugins", and do not forget to copy NFElectricalRTGPatch.cfg file from "Extras" somewhere to GameData.

Ah, thanks.

EDIT: Doesn't work, it just turns RTGs into radiators.

EDIT 2: And now all my saves are broken, even after uninstalling the mod all the RTGs from all my mods on all my saves are still radiators. Sigh. Does anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT 3: Fixed-ish

Edited by golkaidakhaana

Sorry, but that sounds like an issue with your install. When in doubt, rebuild it from a clean slate. I always keep a freshly downloaded stock KSP in a zipfile for that express purpose. Just extract it into a new folder, season with mods to taste, and serve.

If you want to troubleshoot the NF Electrical behavior, install only that (plus is dependencies) and no other mods, then see if it works as you expect. If not, please show us screenshots of what happened.

On 6/15/2018 at 1:21 PM, Streetwind said:

Sorry, but that sounds like an issue with your install. When in doubt, rebuild it from a clean slate. I always keep a freshly downloaded stock KSP in a zipfile for that express purpose. Just extract it into a new folder, season with mods to taste, and serve.

If you want to troubleshoot the NF Electrical behavior, install only that (plus is dependencies) and no other mods, then see if it works as you expect. If not, please show us screenshots of what happened.

Hmm, RTGs seem to be working properly now (in addition they still act as radiators). Thanks for the advice anyway.

EDIT: I think you misunderstand, this issue affects all my saves, and I'm definitely not going to just erase a few months of work. I went by a user's instructions under the fair assumption I wouldn't have to test it on a clean install first. I don't see why I would be held responsible for following simple instructions without any prior warning.

Flhux1I.jpg

While it isn't technically game-breaking or particularly annoying, it's still odd nonetheless.

Edited by golkaidakhaana

On 6/15/2018 at 3:18 PM, sslaptnhablhat said:

EDIT: Doesn't work, it just turns RTGs into radiators.

If you referencing to "Core Heat" module of RTG part, then it is not radiator. It's stock feature (ModuleCoreHeat) of some parts that generate heat (another example is Convert-O-Tron 250).

Can you post a screenshot of your GameData folder here?

40 minutes ago, Judicator81 said:

If you referencing to "Core Heat" module of RTG part, then it is not radiator. It's stock feature (ModuleCoreHeat) of some parts that generate heat (another example is Convert-O-Tron 250).

Can you post a screenshot of your GameData folder here?

Not too many mods. Only ProbesPlus / Coatl Aerospace adds RTGs.

4Gm7lAD.jpg