[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

Hi! I have a problem with Near Future Solar. I was building a space station, when I noticed, that my solar panels can only be opened, but I can't close it! Maybe You can help me. The version of KSP - 1.7.3, of the mod - 1.0.4. I have installed Module Manager 1.0.4. Thanks in advance for your reply.

P.S. Maybe someone has already write to You about the problem, so I am sorry, If I didn't noticed it) 

1 hour ago, GameXR said:

Hi! I have a problem with Near Future Solar. I was building a space station, when I noticed, that my solar panels can only be opened, but I can't close it! Maybe You can help me. The version of KSP - 1.7.3, of the mod - 1.0.4. I have installed Module Manager 1.0.4. Thanks in advance for your reply.

P.S. Maybe someone has already write to You about the problem, so I am sorry, If I didn't noticed it) 

Most of the blanket ones aren't meant to be closed after being deployed. That's intentional.

6 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

It was an error. The moment I posted experiencing the issue I saw the post above mines. Whenever I open the forums for a mod it starts on page 1. And when I posted my log I expected it to merge but it didn't 

Tap the dark circle/star in front of the topic title to go to ‘last unread’ :) 

On 8/19/2019 at 7:38 PM, tsaven said:

I gotta say, some of these parts from the KSP2 trailer are looking awful familiar . . . ;)

Granted, Nertea did pull a lot of stuff from real concepts, drawings and artwork when building models for his stuff, but yeah, some of the things in the KSP2 trailer looked identical to a few parts from Nertea's Far Future Tech, especially. I mean, some were just as close to Nertea's stuff as the 'vanilla' parts are to stock KSP. Hope they at least give some credit where it's due.

8 hours ago, GameXR said:

Afafsa, oh, I really hadn't known about this, until you wrote. Thank you)

Yeah keep an eye out for when it says "cannot be retracted" in the description. Solar panels that CAN retract are usually a little heavier, but they (usually) won't get blown off in an atmosphere.

Edited by nwillard

23 minutes ago, nwillard said:

Yeah keep an eye out for when it says "cannot be retracted" in the description. Solar panels that CAN retract are usually a little heavier, but they (usually) won't get blown off in an atmosphere.

Ok, I will be attentive. Thanks.

You can always make a module manager patch to make them retractable ;)

Spoiler

@PART[solarpanel-blanket-*]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]:AFTER[NearFutureSolar]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]
    {
        @retractable = true
    }
}

4 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

Hide contents

{
    {
        @retractable = true
    }
}

Oh, I really didn't know how to change module manager config. But can help me with it, If You don't mind. Which files of module manager in GameData directory should I change?

Edited by GameXR
I wrote the wrong message

18 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

- Make a textfile
- place the code above into it
- save it
- rename to "nfsolar.cfg"
- move to GameData directory

You will need modulemanager itself if you are not already running it.

Ok, thank you very much)

10 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

Hide contents

{
    {
        @retractable = true
    }
}

Just two notes here

- This messes with balance, panels that can't retract are cheaper/lighter in KSP. 
 - This specific patch will not work in NFS > 1.0, you should change the part specifier to nfs-* as all the part names changed. 

True on the balance. It was an old example I had dating back to KSP1.3, thanks for the correction!

Side-note: I had FFT running on 1.6.x, but any chance of some sweet lovin' for this wip mod, or not in the planning?

Edited by Jimbodiah

54 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

True on the balance. It was an old example I had dating back to KSP1.3, thanks for the correction!

Side-note: I had FFT running on 1.6.x, but any chance of some sweet lovin' for this wip mod, or not in the planning?

If you check in my dev thread, you might note that a couple weeks ago I officially paused development due to no motivation to work on it. With the advent of KSP2 news, this is in flux, probably won't happen until I can ensure that what I build could transition to that game in the future. 

3 hours ago, Nertea said:

If you check in my dev thread, you might note that a couple weeks ago I officially paused development due to no motivation to work on it. With the advent of KSP2 news, this is in flux, probably won't happen until I can ensure that what I build could transition to that game in the future. 

I mean at least it looks like they are using your art style this time so hopefully you wont have to do as many stock retextures :-p

Im really concerned about ksp 2.0 and modding due to take2's history of not being the most mod friendly dev.  It looks like lots of the features I use from mods are being rolled into stock (near future stuff, reactors, plasma, colonization and offworld construction) but its still the principle of the thing.  It be a slap in the face to the fans to switch from mod friendly version 1 to "no mods" version 2.

4 minutes ago, Temeriki said:

It be a slap in the face to the fans to switch from mod friendly version 1 to "no mods" version 2.

The new developers say they understand that a large part of the appeal of KSP is the mods.

The old developers say they are going to continue supporting KSP 1.

Sounds like we are covered.

6 hours ago, Nertea said:

Understandable @Nertea. I would have loved to use your mods in combination with some kind of life support mods in KSP 1, but it makes sense to at least know what your effort will yield first. Your mods are required on installs of KSP for me, so I just go without LS mods.

2 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

The new developers say they understand that a large part of the appeal of KSP is the mods.

The old developers say they are going to continue supporting KSP 1.

Sounds like we are covered.

Neither of those statements are legally binding, hence why I hope they honor it but im not betting on it.  Take2 has a history of going lawyery on modders in the past and has gone pretty microtransaction heavy even on their AAA cost titles.  So far Take2 has been pretty hands off with Private Division but who knows what the future holds. 

Either way the video cinematic for Ksp 2 made me instantly think of Nertea's art style and mod set, with some MKS and ELP functionality tacked on with some KSPIE endgame engines.  Im curious to see if they lean closer to Nertea's Near and Far Future engine/fuel complexity or go full Kspie and its ISRU system complexity or that with Real Fuels, or somewhere in between.  It also made me instantly think of this persons Imgur mission albums https://imgur.com/a/EHUwh and im kinda super pumped for Ksp2.0, but ive also been burned in the past so i can only get so excited.  Either way its like at least a year away so im thinking to myself I could be playing my last ksp1 modded playthrough.

4 hours ago, Temeriki said:

Neither of those statements are legally binding, hence why I hope they honor it but im not betting on it.  Take2 has a history of going lawyery on modders in the past and has gone pretty microtransaction heavy even on their AAA cost titles.  So far Take2 has been pretty hands off with Private Division but who knows what the future holds. 

Either way the video cinematic for Ksp 2 made me instantly think of Nertea's art style and mod set, with some MKS and ELP functionality tacked on with some KSPIE endgame engines.  Im curious to see if they lean closer to Nertea's Near and Far Future engine/fuel complexity or go full Kspie and its ISRU system complexity or that with Real Fuels, or somewhere in between.  It also made me instantly think of this persons Imgur mission albums https://imgur.com/a/EHUwh and im kinda super pumped for Ksp2.0, but ive also been burned in the past so i can only get so excited.  Either way its like at least a year away so im thinking to myself I could be playing my last ksp1 modded playthrough.

I wouldn't be worried. Either it's moddable, and everyone is happy, or it's not and people are mad. At this stage in the project development there is no likelihood of changing that no matter what you or I do. 

I discovered that somehow when I removed the light in the last release of NF solar, the prefab got reset (thanks Unity) and deleted all the colliders. I'll have a fix eventually but I'm massively busy so time in front of my modeling comp is very limited this week. 

Edited by Nertea

On 8/27/2019 at 9:34 AM, Temeriki said:

Either way the video cinematic for Ksp 2 made me instantly think of Nertea's art style and mod set, with some MKS and ELP functionality tacked on with some KSPIE endgame engines.  Im curious to see if they lean closer to Nertea's Near and Far Future engine/fuel complexity or go full Kspie and its ISRU system complexity or that with Real Fuels, or somewhere in between.

Some of the media at Gamescon are expecting KSP 2 in possibly even the 1st quarter of 2020, and they confirmed it will have mod support.

Given how KSP in general works, I'd be VERY surprised if they go much more complicated than what Nertea has done with NFT and FFT. KSP has always been about keeping it simple, almost to a fault.

But to be honest, all the KSP 2 trailers made me want to go build more stuff with NFT and FFT :p

Small issue, my gasspectrometer is showing plenty Argon but I cant harvest it with the cryoseperator. Just shows inactive, any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Edit: Disregard I'm an idiot, turning it off and on did the job.

Was adding resources to my babies, sorry for this. Nertea u provide the base for my ksp playthroughs :) thank you

Edited by Black034
Wheres that power switch?

17 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

I discovered (rediscovered, actually) that the overly stupid "must be able to generate power" contracts not only do not count nuclear reactors as power, but also apparently the curved solar panels. I consider this to not be the mod's fault.

Hmmm. We do have this: https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/NearFutureElectrical/blob/master/GameData/NearFutureElectrical/Patches/NFElectricalContracts.cfg, which should do the job for the reactors. Anyone have any insight here?

There is definitely nothing for NF Solar though.