[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

2 hours ago, dlrk said:

Does anyone else find NFLV engines don't show up under Engines, only in the NFLV category?

Its intentional, when NFLV was redone the old methalox engines where deprecated to make room for the new kerelox engines. I think that Nertea said that they will be added to Cryo Engines in the future.

On 6/12/2020 at 2:52 AM, Alsos said:

Its intentional, when NFLV was redone the old methalox engines where deprecated to make room for the new kerelox engines. I think that Nertea said that they will be added to Cryo Engines in the future.

I don't quite follow, do you mean the NFLV engines are deprecated and should not be used?

3 hours ago, dlrk said:

I don't quite follow, do you mean the NFLV engines are deprecated and should not be used?

Sorry I wasn't very clear. The engines are deprecated so they can be moved to the cryo engines mod. Since there being moved to another mod and not deleted you are probably fine still using them, but if you want to be on the safe side or use them in an un-deprecated state I would suggest downloading an older version of the mod and dragging the "engines-lfo-advanced" folder into your game data. (You will still need NFLV for the plumes though.)

Edited by Alsos
Clarification

Hey I have a bug report, I was used to be able to use tweakscale on the Near future series but now I cant use tweakscale on them anymore, what happened? Is there something wrong with one of my files?

Edited by Foefue
Grammar

1 hour ago, Foefue said:

Hey I have a bug report, I was used to be able to use tweakscale on the Near future series but now I cant use tweakscale on them anymore, what happened? Is there something wrong with one of my files?

NF Add'Ons are being refactored, with some better practices being introduced. However, you can't have the cake and eat it too - some changes make old patches incompatible.

On the bright side, I just finished TweakScale Companion for Near Future, adding up to date support for all Near Future Add'Ons. You will be able to download and test a beta version in a few hours. Check the TweakScale Companion Program thread for instructions to download it.

3 hours ago, Lisias said:

NF Add'Ons are being refactored, with some better practices being introduced. However, you can't have the cake and eat it too - some changes make old patches incompatible.

On the bright side, I just finished TweakScale Companion for Near Future, adding up to date support for all Near Future Add'Ons. You will be able to download and test a beta version in a few hours. Check the TweakScale Companion Program thread for instructions to download it.

Very interesting, thank you!

Got a request for you, any chance you can update the version file for "Near Future Propulsion Extras: Reduced Thrust Configs" so that it shows as 1.9.1 or "any" in CKAN? I'm trying to uncheck all 1.6 and 1.7 mods because I've been getting a lot of critical errors and such so I want to drop the "KSP versions" from having 1.5 through 1.9 checked to just 1.8 and 1.9. This is one of the last mods that has 1.6 as its version number. I know its just a config so I know it should be compatible with any, which is why I was just hoping you'd change its version number in CKAN. I've got every one of your Near Future mods on there. :P

7 hours ago, hello there said:

what happened to the kite engine i cant find it

The kite alongside the other original NFLV engines were deprecated in the latest update. You can find them by searching by module. Also please look over the previous couple of pages before asking questions, just since this question has been asked a multitude of times.

3 hours ago, NateDaBeast said:

Does anyone know how you're exactly supposed to attach engines to some of the engine mounts? For example: https://i.imgur.com/nZpmdd4.png

Looks like you're trying to attach it in surface mode but want it on a stack node. To disable surface attach mode (and therefore only attach things by their nodes) you can hold down the "alt" key (at least by default) and you should be able to maneuver it to where you want it.

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

I am rewriting the reactor code for SystemHeat now and I am now wondering - does anyone actually use the reactor UI? If so, why? 

I kinda want to get rid of it.

I find it helpful to use when I have multiple reactors on a craft, and its also a much better way to view data about reactors than just the part info, so I use it to monitor my crafts with reactors on it. I think the mod is better with the reactor UI, but I think that including some parts of it with the SystemHeat UI would be a great replacement.

Edited by EStreetRockets

4 hours ago, Nertea said:

I am rewriting the reactor code for SystemHeat now and I am now wondering - does anyone actually use the reactor UI? If so, why? 

I’ve never really used it, but I also only include one or two reactors to feed some of the crazy engines in your other mods so I may not be the target for such a reactor UI.

6 hours ago, Nertea said:

The only time I ever use it is to turn on the reactors if I am too lazy to bind the turn on or toggle function to an action group. 

Edited by MechBFP

@Nertea, how would you feel about adding a small number of tank options to the B9 switcher on the Octo-Girder Micro and Mini?  Those parts are too small for things like LFO tanks, but the Mini would nicely fit xenon or ore, and both Micro and Mini would fit "support" (batteries and monoprop).

On the larger Octo-Girder parts, those configurations use models made from repeated instances of smaller objects, so it should just be a matter of re-using parts of models you've already  made, rather than having to make whole new ones.  (For example, just one xenon sphere in the Mini, vs. the two or four spheres in the larger parts.)

In particular, I often find myself wishing for a Mini- or Micro-sized battery option, and a Mini-sized ore tank (similar to the stock 2.5m ore tank, but in an octo-girder).

On 6/19/2020 at 2:53 AM, Nertea said:

Oh please don't, it's very useful in fine reactor control, exeptionally so if the craft has more than one reactor. I can hardly imagine how i'd play without it.

4 hours ago, Roostergod said:

just wanted to confirm something, does the bonus from reflector dishes in NFeX scale with the power of the antenna they're boosting?

The total power of a combination of a feed and a dish is the product of the antenna's feed scale and the sum of the power of feeding antenna and the reflecting dish i.e. Feeding Antenna Feed Scale * (Feeding Antenna Power + Reflecting Dish Power).

When you have a combination of antennas on the craft all feeding into the same or multiple reflecting dishes and want to know the total power of the vessel, you then consider the combinability exponents of each feeding antenna and use the traditional CommNet calculations.

It can get rather complicated, I updated the CommNet Calculator Google Sheets doc to handle NF:Ex mechanics on the 'NF:Ex (Reflectors) Calculator' sheet which may help you visualise what is going on: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qIgFB8OXnlgpPCGsxv7JYUYQq5O671IcZXpumVaStek

On 6/19/2020 at 7:53 AM, Nertea said:

I vote for keeping it, I bury my reactors in parts or in bayload bays (as though shielding it) and sometimes having to play with the camera to access buried parts is just a hassle. Also the control sliders are a little finer-tuned in the US than they are in the PAW

@Nertea,

For Near Future Electrical on CKAN, would you consider adjusting the Dynamic Battery storage dependency? Kerbalism performs the same function as dynamic battery storage, among its features, and conflicts with dynamic battery storage. I would suggest making Near Future Electrical require Dynamic Battery Storage OR Kerbalism.

@Nertea I've got a problem with the nflv methalox patch. MM logs and .configcache show it being properly loaded, but the engines that would be affected still run on hydrolox. I can send logs and modlist if needed.

If it matters, b9ps gives an option for methane tanks.

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron

On 6/15/2020 at 5:16 AM, Vas said:

Got a request for you, any chance you can update the version file for "Near Future Propulsion Extras: Reduced Thrust Configs" so that it shows as 1.9.1 or "any" in CKAN? I'm trying to uncheck all 1.6 and 1.7 mods because I've been getting a lot of critical errors and such so I want to drop the "KSP versions" from having 1.5 through 1.9 checked to just 1.8 and 1.9. This is one of the last mods that has 1.6 as its version number. I know its just a config so I know it should be compatible with any, which is why I was just hoping you'd change its version number in CKAN. I've got every one of your Near Future mods on there. :P

I don't believe this is my mod.

On 6/19/2020 at 8:07 PM, Wyzard said:

@Nertea, how would you feel about adding a small number of tank options to the B9 switcher on the Octo-Girder Micro and Mini?  Those parts are too small for things like LFO tanks, but the Mini would nicely fit xenon or ore, and both Micro and Mini would fit "support" (batteries and monoprop).

On the larger Octo-Girder parts, those configurations use models made from repeated instances of smaller objects, so it should just be a matter of re-using parts of models you've already  made, rather than having to make whole new ones.  (For example, just one xenon sphere in the Mini, vs. the two or four spheres in the larger parts.)

In particular, I often find myself wishing for a Mini- or Micro-sized battery option, and a Mini-sized ore tank (similar to the stock 2.5m ore tank, but in an octo-girder).

Eh... I mean because of variable AO it's never as simple as just re-using the parts. Honestly I have so many things that I want to make that I don't really see this happening anytime soon. 

On 6/22/2020 at 2:11 AM, Clamp-o-Tron said:

@Nertea I've got a problem with the nflv methalox patch. MM logs and .configcache show it being properly loaded, but the engines that would be affected still run on hydrolox. I can send logs and modlist if needed.

What engines do you think should be affected? It shouldn't do anything right now unless you are using the deprecated engines. 

On 6/21/2020 at 3:16 PM, capkirk said:

For Near Future Electrical on CKAN, would you consider adjusting the Dynamic Battery storage dependency? Kerbalism performs the same function as dynamic battery storage, among its features, and conflicts with dynamic battery storage. I would suggest making Near Future Electrical require Dynamic Battery Storage OR Kerbalism.

I have concerns with doing that. Besides, it shouldn't conflict, a few versions ago a check was added so that DBS does nothing with Kerbalism is installed.