[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

14 hours ago, hemeac said:

@Krzeszny, The Kite, Eaglet, Buzzard and Osprey engines are deprecated since the 2.0 release in April which is why they don't appear in the VAB.  I haven't had any issues with the replacement engines showing up either in the Tech Tree or in the VAB.  Here's the list for reference:

Spoiler

• KS-1E 'Goldfish' Liquid Fuel Engine: Micro booster engine based on RocketLab Rutherford. 0.625m and Compact variants.
  • KS-1M 'Otter' Liquid Fuel Engine: Tiny booster engine based on Merlin 1D. 0.625m, Boattail and Compact variants.
  • KS-10AJ 'Walrus' Liquid Fuel Engine: Small booster engine based on AR-1. 1.25m, Boattail and Compact variants.
  • KS-107 'Porpoise' Liquid Fuel Engine: Medium booster engine based on TR-107. 1.875m, Boattail and Compact variants.
  • KS-160 'Orca' Liquid Fuel Engine: Large booster engine based on Space Transportation Booster Engine study. 2.5m, Boattail and Compact variants.
  • KS-600AJ 'Manatee' Liquid Fuel Engine: Huge booster engine based on AR-1 cluster. 3.75m only.
  • KR-1E-V 'Angora' Liquid Fuel Engine: Tiny sustainer engine based on Rutherford Vacuum. 0.625m, Boattail and Compact variants.
  • KR-1M-V 'Sphinx' Liquid Fuel Engine: Small sustainer engine based on Merlin 1D Vacuum. 1.25m, Boattail and Compact variants.
  • KR-74 'Lynx' Liquid Fuel Engine: Medium sustainer engine based on RD-704. 1.875m, Boattail and Compact variants.
  • KR-84 'Ocelot' Liquid Fuel Engine: Large sustainer engine based on RS-84. 2.5m, Boattail and Compact variants.
  • KR-701 'Cougar' Liquid Fuel Engine: Huge sustainer engine based on RD-701. 3.75m, Boattail and Compact variants.

The mod that's causing the problem is an extension to CPT, Community Parts Titles Extras: CCK - No Duplicates. It's interesting, since the engines from NF Propulsion show up. It's just the ones from Launch Vehicles that don't.

CPT Extras: CCK No Duplicates description snip: 
If parts are placed in a CCK category, it usually also appeared in the original category. This patch hide all CCK-parts from the original categories. (...)
And it's true - NF Propulsion engines have their own custom categories, while NF LV engines don't.

It's even more complicated:
If the CPT extension is installed, NF:LV engines only appear in Community Category Kit categories.
When the CPT extension is not installed... NF:LV engines appear in stock categories, but don't appear in CCK categories unless they're purchased. Note - stock engines do appear in CCK categories if they're not purchased.

I will forward this information to CPT... or CCK?

Edited by Krzeszny

@NiL @hemeac I've updated the config to do plume switching as well. Try it out and let me know how things go. It includes an altered form of the existing LH2RCS patch which clones and changes the Lithium thrusters for CryoTanks. Obviously that's no longer necessary. (So in case of any crafts that use these, the altered patch soft-deprecates them.)

DOWNLOAD :: OneDrive

bt597bE.jpg

ZPwaR5d.jpg

41 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@NiL @hemeac I've updated the config to do plume switching as well. Try it out and let me know how things go. It includes an altered form of the existing LH2RCS patch which clones and changes the Lithium thrusters for CryoTanks. Obviously that's no longer necessary. (So in case of any crafts that use these, the altered patch soft-deprecates them.)

DOWNLOAD :: OneDrive

bt597bE.jpg

ZPwaR5d.jpg

That's awesome work! Will look after work!

57 minutes ago, ThomasJoseph said:

I just installed Near Future Electric and none of the nuclear reactors are showing up in the inventory :(

That doesn't give us much to go on. Whenever you report a bug, it's best practice to provide a game log. You can find instructions on how to find and post your log here: 

Also just to make sure:

Can you see the other parts from NFE? Are you playing in a game mode where you need to unlock parts, and have you actually unlocked the reactors?

35 minutes ago, TBenz said:

That doesn't give us much to go on. Whenever you report a bug, it's best practice to provide a game log. You can find instructions on how to find and post your log here: 

Also just to make sure:

Can you see the other parts from NFE? Are you playing in a game mode where you need to unlock parts, and have you actually unlocked the reactors?

Never mind, it was my fault. I forgot I was in science mode. I had clicked the cheats once to have everything available, I hadn't realized I had to hit it again if I added new mods. I'm learning the science part. Thanks for the quick reply though! :D

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@RandomKerbal What? The stock linear RCS? It's there (center, 4th row, Restocked). The big white one with its nozzle pointing up. I never use Janitor's Closet.

Oh, I have never used Restock before, so I didn't expect it to have a switchable variant.

Spoiler

I thought that is something else.

Edited by RandomKerbal

On 9/2/2020 at 7:37 PM, coyotesfrontier said:

Speaking of patches, I've created a variation on the patch that turns the ReStock engines into cryogenic ones. Instead of just converting them from LFO to LH2/O, it adds an LH2/O alternate mode instead, preventing you from losing out on the engine's stock functions (For example, with the original patch, the 3.75m size class no longer has any LFO engines. With this, the engines retain their LFO abilities but now can also optionally burn LH2/O). The patch has RealPlume compatibility, but no compatibility for the Skiff's ReStockPlus equivalent, the Caravel:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jIzI05qojgHedQLhj7HNhxakCi7cEnBM/view?usp=sharing

License is public domain, not sure if licenses are required for simple patches

This is more or less why I made the NFLV engines, to provide LFO options when you use realish fuels.

22 minutes ago, adriangm44 said:

Can anyone help me how to use this? I don't even know what units Gm's are 

Gigameters. As in, a billion meters.

1m = 1 meter
1,000m = 1 kilometer
1,000,000m = 1,000 kilometers = 1 megameter
1,000,000,000m = 1,000,000 kilometers = 1 gigameter

The stock KSP altitude meter at the top of your screen (when in flight) uses these same units, by the way. :P They are standard SI units.

I'm not fluent in that language and haven't personally used the planner before, but I'm guessing that slider is for mean distance from the sun.

9 minutes ago, siklidkid said:

There is a missing part, named solarpanel-deploying-2x3-1. I'm trying to load in a craft with that part, and that part is missing.

Those solar panels have been deprecated and removed from the latest versions of NF Solar.  You will have to go to the 1.0.5 version of the mod to pull out those panels if you need to continue to use them.

2 minutes ago, siklidkid said:

Ok.

I might be able to put them into the new folder.

You will want to move the deprecated folder in GameData/NearFutureSolar/Parts/ for the parts to load correctly.  If you want them to appear in the tech tree and VAB as well, you will need to change the category and TechHidden values in each of the parts that you want to appear in the cfg files.

17 minutes ago, siklidkid said:

There isn't a deprecated folder in the latest download.

Or do you mean the old one?

I'm a terrible modder.

You will need to download the 1.0.5 version from Spacedock and copy the deprecated folder from there into your KSP install and place them into GameData/NearFutureSolar/Parts/.  If you do nothing else, that should be enough for the panels to appear in your current crafts that use those parts and will load in the VAB with any craft files that use those parts, but probably will not show up in the VAB parts window unless you modify the config files to change the category and TechHidden values.