[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

So the reactors are now rated in kW of electrical output, but everything else is still rated in ec/sec. Which begs the question, how many ec/sec in one 1 kW? Is it 1:1?

OK, never mind. Just did a quick test and it seems 2 kW = 1 ec/sec

Well, it seems that isn't right either. @Nertea says it is 1:1. See post a few below this.

Edited by mikegarrison

On 1/3/2021 at 10:29 PM, mikegarrison said:

So the reactors are now rated in kW of electrical output, but everything else is still rated in ec/sec. Which begs the question, how many ec/sec in one 1 kW? Is it 1:1?

OK, never mind. Just did a quick test and it seems 2 kW = 1 ec/sec

1kW = 1 Ec/s. What test gave you the 2:1 relation?

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

1kW = 1 Ec/s. What test gave you the 2:1 relation?

Well 1:1 is kind of what I thought it would be.

I later realized that that you had drastically changed how the reactors worked since I last played. It used to be that you could set a power setting and it would control both how much power it made and also how much uranium was "burned". Now it seems that you just turn on the reactor and it automatically supplies the power that is demanded, but uranium life is a set value?

I think maybe what happened is that I built a ship that happened to need 200 ec/sec, and slapped a 400 kW reactor on it. Turned everything on at the launch pad and the reactor met the demand with no excess, so I assumed it was 2:1. I didn't realize at the time that you had changed the control system so that the reactor supplies power on demand.

Side note, I also got burned by a mistake I now remember making a few years ago when I last played. I built a nuclear powered satellite for the "map 12 asteroids" contract, spent a year of game time putting it into the correct solar orbit, and then found out (again) that despite having a NUCLEAR REACTOR and plenty of electricity, the game decided that the infrared camera needed to have a power source on board that it recognizes, so it wouldn't turn on because it claimed it had no power.

Seems that Squad decided that rather than check to see if the craft actually had power, it would just check to see if it had a solar panel onboard. I suppose that's because they never did build in a reliable stock way to test for power consumption in an unfocused ship.

Edited by mikegarrison

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

Well 1:1 is kind of what I thought it would be.

I later realized that that you had drastically changed how the reactors worked since I last played. It used to be that you could set a power setting and it would control both how much power it made and also how much uranium was "burned". Now it seems that you just turn on the reactor and it automatically supplies the power that is demanded, but uranium life is a set value?

I think maybe what happened is that I built a ship that happened to need 200 ec/sec, and slapped a 400 kW reactor on it. Turned everything on at the launch pad and the reactor met the demand with no excess, so I assumed it was 2:1. I didn't realize at the time that you had changed the control system so that the reactor supplies power on demand.

Side note, I also got burned by a mistake I now remember making a few years ago when I last played. I built a nuclear powered satellite for the "map 12 asteroids" contract, spent a year of game time putting it into the correct solar orbit, and then found out (again) that despite having a NUCLEAR REACTOR and plenty of electricity, the game decided that the infrared camera needed to have a power source on board that it recognizes, so it wouldn't turn on because it claimed it had no power.

Seems that Squad decided that rather than check to see if the craft actually had power, it would just check to see if it had a solar panel onboard. I suppose that's because they never did build in a reliable stock way to test for power consumption in an unfocused ship.

If you installed SystemHeat and all its patches, you should understand that things change a bit. In the new implementation, you have a choice between manual operation (button in the UI to expose the old slider) and automated operation, the latter of which supplies power as required by the ship and adjusts automatically (with a response time). 

31 minutes ago, Nertea said:

If you installed SystemHeat and all its patches, you should understand that things change a bit. In the new implementation, you have a choice between manual operation (button in the UI to expose the old slider) and automated operation, the latter of which supplies power as required by the ship and adjusts automatically (with a response time). 

Yes, I did install it. But it didn't exactly come with an instruction manual, as far as I could find. So I've been kind of puzzling out how it works. I did find the manual slider for power, but not right away.

12 hours ago, DarkTheFailure said:

Have you ever considered to make a planetary base/colony mod? like near future colonies or something?

Between Planetary Base Systems (not Nertea's work) and Space Station Parts Expansion redux (Nertea's work) including some nice landing leg options, base-building should be covered.

BTW @Nertea I noticed there's two modulemanager DLLs in the NFAero release on github (haven't checked the other mirrors).

EDIT:

Also caught this on load: duplicate pass identifier

[WRN 12:30:14.022] more than one pass specifier detected, ignoring all but the first: NearFuturePropulsion/Patches/Waterfall/NearFuturePropulsionWaterfallHallEffect/@PART[ionArgon-0625]:NEEDS[Waterfall]:FOR[NearFuturePropulsion]:FOR[NearFuturePropulsion]

It's harmless, but MM does throw a warning about it. Minimum priority fix, just making it known.

Edited by Captain Sierra

Hi,
I just started adding some mods to my KSP and currently having some doubt whether I already installed this mod correctly or not.
As you can see here, https://imgur.com/a/2AiyxFI, I installed the mod using CKAN but in the game I couldn't find the parts.  So my question is:
1. Do any of your mod support installation via CKAN? I know Near Future Aeronautics doesn't, as stated in the FAQ, but I don't see any mention on the other mods.
2. How do I verify that I have installed your mods correctly?
3. Where is the list of parts that every mod adds so I can search them in game and verify that the mods are installed correctly?

Thanks.

Edited by virusarcane

3 hours ago, virusarcane said:

Hi,
I just started adding some mods to my KSP and currently having some doubt whether I already installed this mod correctly or not.
As you can see here, https://imgur.com/a/2AiyxFI, I installed the mod using CKAN but in the game I couldn't find the parts.  So my question is:
1. Do any of your mod support installation via CKAN? I know Near Future Aeronautics doesn't, as stated in the FAQ, but I don't see any mention on the other mods.
3. Where is the list of parts that every mod adds so I can search them in game and verify that the mods are installed correctly?

1. Yes and no, most are supported on CKAN except where a part has been specifically excluded by request of an author, such as Kerbal Actuators.
  2. Well, the NF "Core" mods supply functionality for other mods but no parts by themselves.   Download and install the companion NF, non-core mods, such as NF Electrical and NF Solar, in your case.
  3. No idea.  If they appear in the mod's Parts folder but don't show up in-game, you have another problem.

On 1/6/2021 at 9:23 AM, Captain Sierra said:

Also caught this on load: duplicate pass identifier

This should be fixed in NFP 1.3.1, ensure you have the latest version.

5 hours ago, virusarcane said:

Nominally, the parts show up. Often any issues will present themselves quite clearly in the log files though.

4 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

I have a problem with the enginemounts in NFLV: I have rigid attachement and autostruts active but it looks like this:

1e1058-1610104374.png

I use KSP 1.10.1 but I had this issue in 1.8.x and 1.9.x too. Also it appears with KJR/KJR Next.

There was definitely a general problem with drifting interstages in older versions of KSP, I hadn't seen in in 1.10+. Can you isolate this to any specific interstages?

55 minutes ago, Nertea said:

There was definitely a general problem with drifting interstages in older versions of KSP, I hadn't seen in in 1.10+. Can you isolate this to any specific interstages?

I had this problems with the NR-U3. As far as I know with the ER-U1 and NR-U2 too. Some more information: The Launcher begins to wobble very strong. Only with this interstages.

Edited by Cheesecake

1 hour ago, Cheesecake said:

I had this problems with the NR-U3. As far as I know with the ER-U1 and NR-U2 too. Some more information: The Launcher begins to wobble very strong. Only with this interstages.

Can't reproduce this, has anyone else seen this?

33 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Can't reproduce this, has anyone else seen this?

1 hour ago, Cheesecake said:

The Launcher begins to wobble very strong. Only with this interstages.

I used to have this issue with many parts that identify decouple nodes, including some NFLV interstage adapters, in 1.10x - even with KJR installed. It was odd because I had carried over the same mod list in 1.8.1 where this issue was NOT present. 

What fixed it for me was (unfortunately because I was very fond of the mods) deleting reDIRECT, Habtech, and the SOCK Shuttle from my mod list.

Can only be 50% sure that was the problem, if that, since I run a largish number of mods and they can all interact in unknown ways. But for me that fixed the problem, I just didn’t do any further testing after that point.

Do you have any of benjee10’s mods? If so try backing up your save, removing those mods, and then testing out a craft with the interstages.

Edited by lemon cup

38 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

Yes, I have installed mods from benjee. The problem is: they are only part mods and don`t interact with other mods. Also I´m sure that I had this problem with 1.8.1 too and I hadn`t installed benjees mods at this time.

I totally understand and I had a tough time understanding too. It is very peculiar to diagnose, but I was helping him identify an issue where some of his parts were causing strange issues with drag on stock parts, yet his mods do not patch stock parts in any way.... Other mods probably have similar issues that go unnoticed but in benjees case his mods are very popular and any issues will eventually get noticed by someone. 

You mentioned it did occur in 1.8.1, a good bit of code has changed since then in both the base game and in many mods as well, things that used to play well with eachother might suddenly conflict and vise versa.

I’d suggest just removing them and seeing what happens. Again, it’s a 50/50 shot.