[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

All NFE reactor parts have 2 sets of fission reactor modules (2 independent sets of controls and temperature readouts  when right-clicked in flight). Engine reactors don't have this. I delted it from GameData and reinstalled but it's still there. Any idea of what might be causing this?

Edit: Nevermind, got it. It was leftover patches from before SystemHeat was split into core & extras.

Edited by Apelsin

22 hours ago, ssd21345 said:

does anyone have weird glitch that micro control moment gyroscope from near future exploration cause orbit changes when turning?

Hide contents

log : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ilw0h5bh3ubuwss/AABX26dhN9Jl6I_7q_eDFoU_a?dl=0

Is that this bug perhaps? Are you playing KSP 1.11?

On 1/12/2021 at 1:08 PM, Souptime said:

Oh cool, never heard of that one

Oh yeah, i can see the similarities between the AR 1 and the BE 4

It was Aerojet's entry for the Vulcan core stage engine, so they're designed for the same thing, yeah. It's basically an American RD-191.

5 hours ago, derega16 said:

Will NFE reactor and all other parts that generate heat moved to new heat system that using in FFT soon?  now it quite confusing to balance radiators.

FFT (or SystemHeat if you’ve downloaded it separately) comes with a folder of optional patches to convert the Near Future reactors and nuclear engines to use System Heat. I believe it is in the “Extras” folder in the FFT download; take it out and place it in your GameData folder to activate the patches.

9 hours ago, derega16 said:

Will NFE reactor and all other parts that generate heat moved to new heat system that using in FFT soon?  now it quite confusing to balance radiators.

I would rather port them all to the new system but I suspect people would be mad. So it'll be optional for the foreseeable future, however, SystemHeat will continue to get updates; NFE functionality will barely limp along. 

8 hours ago, Nertea said:

I would rather port them all to the new system but I suspect people would be mad. So it'll be optional for the foreseeable future, however, SystemHeat will continue to get updates; NFE functionality will barely limp along. 

I get how it can seem overly complex to someone who hasn’t used the mod, and I guess it is more “complicated” but the tools it provides makes it a lot easier to understand and build around than stock. 

IMO it should be an NFE dependency. 

I was doing a few calculations and I got some funny numbers.

Something like the 'NEXT Ion Thruster - 0.625m' engine. It has an Isp of 6380s and a thrust of 2.1 kN. Engine power in the real world is equal to Isp * 9.81 * Thrust /2, so I get 65.7 MW of power. However, the part mass is only 200 kg. This means the power density is a whopping 328.6 kW/kg.

This continues for all the electric thrusters. The 'VASIMR - 1.25m' engine has an Isp of 6000s and a thrust of 24.9 kN, meaning that it outputs 732.8 MW of power. Power density is at 732.8 kW/kg. 

For comparison, real world electric thrusters have power densities on the order of 0.5 kW/kg, rising to 2 kW/kg with a large design like VASIMR. This means the in-game propulsion is 160 to 360 times more powerful than modern technology allows. 

Is this the intended balancing for NFT, @Nertea?

13 hours ago, MatterBeam said:

I was doing a few calculations and I got some funny numbers.

Something like the 'NEXT Ion Thruster - 0.625m' engine. It has an Isp of 6380s and a thrust of 2.1 kN. Engine power in the real world is equal to Isp * 9.81 * Thrust /2, so I get 65.7 MW of power. However, the part mass is only 200 kg. This means the power density is a whopping 328.6 kW/kg.

This continues for all the electric thrusters. The 'VASIMR - 1.25m' engine has an Isp of 6000s and a thrust of 24.9 kN, meaning that it outputs 732.8 MW of power. Power density is at 732.8 kW/kg. 

For comparison, real world electric thrusters have power densities on the order of 0.5 kW/kg, rising to 2 kW/kg with a large design like VASIMR. This means the in-game propulsion is 160 to 360 times more powerful than modern technology allows. 

Is this the intended balancing for NFT, @Nertea?

Well yes. It's not reasonable, given the lack of tools and support for ultra-low-thrust engines, to provide realistic thrust levels for the engines. People already can't handle the stock ion engine, which has hundreds of times the power density as well.  Anything in that thrust range needs to be scaled to the KSP paradigm, which does provide nonsensical numbers when analyzed with typical rocket engine equations. 

15 hours ago, Nertea said:

Well yes. It's not reasonable, given the lack of tools and support for ultra-low-thrust engines, to provide realistic thrust levels for the engines. People already can't handle the stock ion engine, which has hundreds of times the power density as well.  Anything in that thrust range needs to be scaled to the KSP paradigm, which does provide nonsensical numbers when analyzed with typical rocket engine equations. 

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm loving your mods by the way!

Good morning all,
Beginner player on KSP 1.10.1 I have a small problem and despite my research (perhaps incomplete), I cannot find the solution.
I have stored KSP parts in the "advanced part toolbox mode" and am delighted to be able to organize my own part layout.
Unfortunately, "OPT, Near Future Launch Vehicle and Tundra Exploration" adds a new coin icon to me every time the game is launched. So I end up with a bunch of identical parts icons.
I delete these icons every time, but nothing helps, I tried deleting them directly in "GameData / Squad / Partlist / PartCategories.cfg", but it is useless.
Is there a workaround to keep only one icon of these mods in the "advanced parts toolbox mode"?
Thank you for your advice and for taking the time to read me. Good game everyone.

screenshot50.jpg                                             screenshot49.jpg

Edited by Fulcrum
Insert pictures

So I'm trying to use the Aeronautics heavy lift fans, and I'm having real issues with control authority when hovering with them. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm trying to make a mostly electric powered VTOL scout plane for use on Duna, so if using something else to help then parts using Intake Atmo and electrical power are the main goal. 

Hey, I don't know if the OP is still reading this or if I'm stupid, but it would be great if there were no oxygen check for ducted props working in an electric mode. Built a sweet mission to Duna only to realize my science drones were unable to fly because of the said mission. Was able to change it in the config myself, but I think it's something to consider implementing into the mod.

2 hours ago, Dukemaster said:

Help me out since it's been a while since I've modded without CKAN. Where do I need to extract or unpack the files to?

What @lordcirthsaid, and here's a tutorial:

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Installing_Addons

I'm sure that if you searched this forum, you'll find a topic along the same lines.