[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

Over the last few days I’ve tried figuring out why I haven’t been able to get the Nereid pod to float. Buoyancy seems off with it and it sinks like a stone no matter what I do. 

I tried adding the Comfortable Landing buoy part which should keep pretty much anything from sinking but it hasn’t been able to keep the pod above the surface. 

Has anyone else noticed this and have a solution? Any other pod from other mods and stock that I splash down will bob on top of the water properly. 

How do I remove the 5m tanks from NFLV?

I have a low RAM, and everything effects my loading time, since this mod is quite large, I’m trying to remove the 5m tanks as I already have making history and it’s just loading 2x of the same texture. However when I delete the 5m parts from the files, no tanks show up, and when I delete the CFG file that hides the mh tanks, I get a B9 parts switch fatal error warning when loading my game.

How do I remove them?

(BTW, I love this mod, I’m not trying to be rude by trying to delete it lol, I just need to for my sanity with loading times lmao)

43 minutes ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

How do I remove the 5m tanks from NFLV?

I have a low RAM, and everything effects my loading time, since this mod is quite large, I’m trying to remove the 5m tanks as I already have making history and it’s just loading 2x of the same texture. However when I delete the 5m parts from the files, no tanks show up, and when I delete the CFG file that hides the mh tanks, I get a B9 parts switch fatal error warning when loading my game.

How do I remove them?

(BTW, I love this mod, I’m not trying to be rude by trying to delete it lol, I just need to for my sanity with loading times lmao)

I always have to recommend Janitor’s Closet for this sort of thing.

Janitor’s Closet is a lightweight plugin that lets you pick parts out of the VAB parts list that you longer wish to see. Once you have picked it, you can choose to remove it from the game entirely and they will no longer load. Always safer than manually deleting files from folders, and you can easily unblock them again in the future if you want.

4 hours ago, lemon cup said:

I always have to recommend Janitor’s Closet for this sort of thing.

Janitor’s Closet is a lightweight plugin that lets you pick parts out of the VAB parts list that you longer wish to see. Once you have picked it, you can choose to remove it from the game entirely and they will no longer load. Always safer than manually deleting files from folders, and you can easily unblock them again in the future if you want.

Perfect thanks - I have Janitors closet, but I didn’t know it could do that

but will that readd the normal 5m tanks?

Hi all, long-time NF mods user (thanks Nertea!) but first time really using Near Future Exploration.

Is there a handy primer somewhere or maybe specific posts in this thread to better understand the sizes and uses for the different antenna/reflectors?

In my new career playthrough, I'm hoping to be more targeted than just using the biggest relay, etc. Also I'm not entirely clear what the feeder antennas do vs. the direct antennas?

(Of course I've been reading through and searching in this topic... but there's lots of posts in here with "reflector" and "exploration" :confused:)

Edited by scottadges

4 hours ago, scottadges said:

Hi all, long-time NF mods user (thanks Nertea!) but first time really using Near Future Exploration.

Is there a handy primer somewhere or maybe specific posts in this thread to better understand the sizes and uses for the different antenna/reflectors?

In my new career playthrough, I'm hoping to be more targeted than just using the biggest relay, etc. Also I'm not entirely clear what the feeder antennas do vs. the direct antennas?

(Of course I've been reading through and searching in this topic... but there's lots of posts in here with "reflector" and "exploration" :confused:)

Reflectors are a range adder to whatever antenna you use. Point an antenna at a reflector, if the line that shows touches the reflector and turns green, you will get the bonus. The bonus is stronger when used with antennae that don't have their own reflectors; the feeders are best, other 'pointy' things work well too. Direct/Relay stuff is stock KSP stuff. 

On 5/22/2021 at 10:59 PM, Tivec said:

Over the last few days I’ve tried figuring out why I haven’t been able to get the Nereid pod to float. Buoyancy seems off with it and it sinks like a stone no matter what I do. 

I tried adding the Comfortable Landing buoy part which should keep pretty much anything from sinking but it hasn’t been able to keep the pod above the surface. 

Has anyone else noticed this and have a solution? Any other pod from other mods and stock that I splash down will bob on top of the water properly. 

Seems to float for me. Try deleting and regenerating your partdatabase cache.

7 hours ago, Nertea said:

Reflectors are a range adder to whatever antenna you use

Is the range addition a flat value? So if the reflector says it adds 15Mm, that's a flat addition?

Seems to float for me. Try deleting and regenerating your partdatabase cache.

I deleted PartDatabase.cfg and had it regenerate, but no go unfortunately..

Here's a Google Drive folder with two videos - one where I drop the Nereid pod in water using VesselMover, and one where I drop a Squad default pod. In addition I've added KSP.log, the PartDatabase cache, as well as the ModuleManager cache and physics cache.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PS1nVqRc1vySY9Rx_mc5wVbHlqj0EhUS?usp=sharing

I am running a quite heavily modded game, but I have also tested this in a test instance where I only had a couple of mods. I have tried with Scatterer ocean shaders and waves disabled, with Scatterer waves, and without Scatterer installed. I have tried using Rational Hydrodynamics (made it worse), and also with ComfortableLanding floats (slows sinking a tiiiny bit, but then it goes fast once it passes 10m depth).

I'm out of ideas, maybe you can see something that could be the reason for it sinking, especially since no other pods - modded or Squad - are sinking. I have tested a bunch...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 11:44 PM, Tivec said:

Is the range addition a flat value? So if the reflector says it adds 15Mm, that's a flat addition?

I deleted PartDatabase.cfg and had it regenerate, but no go unfortunately..

Here's a Google Drive folder with two videos - one where I drop the Nereid pod in water using VesselMover, and one where I drop a Squad default pod. In addition I've added KSP.log, the PartDatabase cache, as well as the ModuleManager cache and physics cache.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PS1nVqRc1vySY9Rx_mc5wVbHlqj0EhUS?usp=sharing

I am running a quite heavily modded game, but I have also tested this in a test instance where I only had a couple of mods. I have tried with Scatterer ocean shaders and waves disabled, with Scatterer waves, and without Scatterer installed. I have tried using Rational Hydrodynamics (made it worse), and also with ComfortableLanding floats (slows sinking a tiiiny bit, but then it goes fast once it passes 10m depth).

I'm out of ideas, maybe you can see something that could be the reason for it sinking, especially since no other pods - modded or Squad - are sinking. I have tested a bunch...

I haven't looked into this further on my end, but I viewed your video and noticed a very large  RCS delta V in the display. This implies to me that you're trying to float it with the tanks full. The nereid tanks are very large to fuel the abort motors and I'm not sure it'll float like that.

I haven't looked into this further on my end, but I viewed your video and noticed a very large  RCS delta V in the display. This implies to me that you're trying to float it with the tanks full. The nereid tanks are very large to fuel the abort motors and I'm not sure it'll float like that.

I uploaded another video (Kerbal Space Program 2021.06.06 - 09.09.15.02.mp4) to the GoogleDrive link above, empty of all things except electric charge. No parts attached, just the pod. It seems to sink slower, but not enough to stay buoyant. Again, other pods and parts seem to float just fine.. I asked a few people on the KSP Discord to test, and they seem to have found the same issue - I've asked them to post here with their findings.

Hi, I'm people on the /r/KSP Discord.  I used a test setup with just a Mk16 Parachute and the Nereid, which sank regardless of whether the tanks were full or empty.  I also tried attaching the thrusters and a heatshield to the empty Nereid, which made no difference as far as I could tell.

Every other command pod from Near Future Spacecraft floated for me.

Edited by leopardenthusiast

3 hours ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

Hey Nertea, quick question: Do your mods support tweakscale by default and if not do you know of any configs that add tweakscale support?

Tweakscale has configs for the NFT mods included when you download it, however many of the names of the parts have been changed since those configs were written, so you need to manually change them to what the parts are called now for them to work (e.g. decoupler-5-1 to nflv-decoupler-5-1).

Edited by Jcking

6 hours ago, leopardenthusiast said:

Hi, I'm people on the /r/KSP Discord.  I used a test setup with just a Mk16 Parachute and the Nereid, which sank regardless of whether the tanks were full or empty.  I also tried attaching the thrusters and a heatshield to the empty Nereid, which made no difference as far as I could tell.

Every other command pod from Near Future Spacecraft floated for me.

Will have to check

8 hours ago, Tivec said:

I uploaded another video (Kerbal Space Program 2021.06.06 - 09.09.15.02.mp4) to the GoogleDrive link above, empty of all things except electric charge. No parts attached, just the pod. It seems to sink slower, but not enough to stay buoyant. Again, other pods and parts seem to float just fine.. I asked a few people on the KSP Discord to test, and they seem to have found the same issue - I've asked them to post here with their findings.

It was worth a try. No idea what's up then. It'll go on the list ...

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

It was worth a try. No idea what's up then. It'll go on the list ...

Thanks for giving it a look, I hope you figure it out :)  I don't know enough about part creation to find a reason for why it would do this. Only two things I could think of - the nodes for the engines (could the game look at them like leaking for buoyancy?) and the collision box for the mesh. Not sure if they have anything to do with buoyancy at all though. Feels like any part should be able to be buoyant based on the numbers in the configs...

19 hours ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

Hey Nertea, quick question: Do your mods support tweakscale by default and if not do you know of any configs that add tweakscale support?

No. You need to install TweakScale Companion for Near Future to have TweakScale support for them! :)

Edited by Lisias
uh... tyops...

Bug Report on the IVA for Near Future Spacecraft.

The IVA-Perspective is a little too pushed forward in Mk1-L Nereld Command-Pod. So the kerbal's heads and their eyes clip through the plane of the camera. Happens for both command seats. Maybe you like to fix this to make the mods even more perfect? Just a hint for you as dev.

@Nertea

I didn 't check them all. Maybe you want to check them and optimize the point of view for these commandpods ?!

yCeKDcD.jpg

Edited by Rakete

On 6/13/2021 at 4:15 AM, Rakete said:

Bug Report on the IVA for Near Future Spacecraft.

The IVA-Perspective is a little too pushed forward in Mk1-L Nereld Command-Pod. So the kerbal's heads and their eyes clip through the plane of the camera. Happens for both command seats. Maybe you like to fix this to make the mods even more perfect? Just a hint for you as dev.

@Nertea

I didn 't check them all. Maybe you want to check them and optimize the point of view for these commandpods ?!

yCeKDcD.jpg

I have to do that for some IVAs at some point so I'll get to that but it'll be very low priority. 

53 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I have to do that for some IVAs at some point so I'll get to that but it'll be very low priority. 

Yeah, no problem. Just wanted to help you by giving hints. Don't feel put under pressure.

I discovered a problem with near future electrics.

I have an infrared telescope on a ship with nuclear reactors and rtgs, but it refuses to activate stating that "i need to have an electric generator to activate the telescope".

I have a lot of electric generators, but they are all from NFE, so apparently the game does not recognize them as such. not for the purposes of the infrared telescope. A fix would be good.

I have a spacecraft with a large nuclear reactor, 4 Vasimir engines, and a lot of stock TCS, but the TCS can't disperse the hear from the reactor, so the reactor heats up and shuts down before completing my burn. Is there any way to fix this? Like a radiators mod or something?

45 minutes ago, The Blazer said:

I have a spacecraft with a large nuclear reactor, 4 Vasimir engines, and a lot of stock TCS, but the TCS can't disperse the hear from the reactor, so the reactor heats up and shuts down before completing my burn. Is there any way to fix this? Like a radiators mod or something?

This is the mod you seek. 

In the title picture of this thread, the long fold-out radiator at the bottom is excellent for managing nuclear fission reactors. Cluster a few of those on and you’ll be good to go.

Just now, lemon cup said:

This is the mod you seek. 

In the title picture of this thread, the long fold-out radiator at the bottom is excellent for managing nuclear fission reactors. Cluster a few of those on and you’ll be good to go.

Nice, thanks!