[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

On 6/17/2021 at 7:04 AM, king of nowhere said:

I discovered a problem with near future electrics.

I have an infrared telescope on a ship with nuclear reactors and rtgs, but it refuses to activate stating that "i need to have an electric generator to activate the telescope".

I have a lot of electric generators, but they are all from NFE, so apparently the game does not recognize them as such. not for the purposes of the infrared telescope. A fix would be good.

This has been an issue forever. It's basically a stock part issue. That camera does not check for the availability of power. Instead, it simply checks to see if the ship has a stock solar panel.

I agree that it's annoying, but it's not Near Future's fault.

Hi, I have a question, I'm trying to figure out at what tier the parts are, I tried every mod together and there are a lot of parts on the lower tiers and it was a bit overwhelming for me, so I wonder if someone could  tell me which ones extend the end of the tech tree with more branches rather than the lower tiers?

Is the Near Future Aeronautics Nuclear Jet Engine's CoM being WAY far forward, outside of the part itself even, intentional? Image for reference, theirs some other parts but all pale in weight too the nuclear jet engine and yet its still way off it:

Spoiler

QyF2CjN.jpeg

7 hours ago, 123nick said:

Is the Near Future Aeronautics Nuclear Jet Engine's CoM being WAY far forward, outside of the part itself even, intentional? Image for reference, theirs some other parts but all pale in weight too the nuclear jet engine and yet its still way off it:

Hide contents

QyF2CjN.jpeg

I think it is so far forward because of the other parts, they may weigh more than the engine... if you can just spawn it by itself, it would probably be more centered

I've got a question:

In NF Launch Vehicles there is 5m fairing. As I have making History, the Mod overwrites my 5m fairing from MC. Since I love the shiny metal look of KSPs stock fairings, I want to know, how I can stop the mod overwriting the 5 m fairing from stock, and let load the original one? Is there a "how-to-do this" ?

The Actions described here don't work:

https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/wiki/Restoring-Stock-Parts

Or ist it possible, to transplant the shiny silver fairing hull to the NF Launch Vehicles 5m Fairing?! The grey one from NF Launch vehicles can't visually compete with the silver metal fairings by squad. Sorry to say so.

Edited by Rakete

14 hours ago, Naeth Kerman said:

I think it is so far forward because of the other parts, they may weigh more than the engine... if you can just spawn it by itself, it would probably be more centered

as i said, its not the other parts. its the engine itself. its 12 tons, everything is a small fraction. there was a better picture but i didnt save it - spawn it alone and you can see the center of mass is way outside of it, if you want. 

On 6/26/2021 at 6:41 PM, mikegarrison said:

This has been an issue forever. It's basically a stock part issue. That camera does not check for the availability of power. Instead, it simply checks to see if the ship has a stock solar panel.

I agree that it's annoying, but it's not Near Future's fault.

The telescope appears to check for the ability to complete a power contract, which is probably something that I can fix. 

On 6/28/2021 at 2:41 AM, 123nick said:

Reveal hidden contents

QyF2CjN.jpeg

Most of the stock jet engines do that too. 

20 hours ago, Rakete said:

I've got a question:

In NF Launch Vehicles there is 5m fairing. As I have making History, the Mod overwrites my 5m fairing from MC. Since I love the shiny metal look of KSPs stock fairings, I want to know, how I can stop the mod overwriting the 5 m fairing from stock, and let load the original one? Is there a "how-to-do this" ?

The Actions described here don't work:

https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/wiki/Restoring-Stock-Parts

Or ist it possible, to transplant the shiny silver fairing hull to the NF Launch Vehicles 5m Fairing?! The grey one from NF Launch vehicles can't visually compete with the silver metal fairings by squad. Sorry to say so.

Delete this file: https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/NearFutureLaunchVehicles/blob/master/GameData/NearFutureLaunchVehicles/Patches/NFLaunchVehiclesOverlappingParts.cfg

12 minutes ago, Nertea said:

IIRC, the reasoning for this is the idea that the "engine" part in KSP is actually just the nozzle of the engine. The real engine is invisible and should be in the center of the craft.

However, IIRC this does not apply to the engines designed to be placed under the wing.

Question: If I want to start a mun based uranium farm (just for fun), how many big drills with a 5-star engineer will I need to feed the whirlijig centrifuge to produce uranium at full speed constantly? (Given that I land them down in an ore-rich-area.) Is there a rule of thump? I tried to test it with a full big stock ore container, but the centrifuge ate up the ore in an lash of an eye. So how many drills should i press in the virgin soil of the mun? Is there a given ore-eat-up-rate (ore units / minute), which I can assume?

(some documentation on these NF parts like the KSP wiki would be a dream. Maybe someone else whos know the drill (pun intended, got it? ;p) of the fantastic NF stuff, as Nertea is too busy with Ksp 1.12 at the moment, i think)

Edited by Rakete

5 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Question: If I want to start a mun based uranium farm (just for fun), how many big drills with a 5-star engineer will I need to feed the whirlijig centrifuge to produce uranium at full speed constantly? (Given that I land them down in an ore-rich-area.) Is there a rule of thump? I tried to test it with a full big stock ore container, but the centrifuge ate up the ore in an lash of an eye. So how many drills should i press in the virgin soil of the mun? Is there a given ore-eat-up-rate (ore units / minute), which I can assume?

Make sure you are on a high concentration area of Ore. 

I think it would be cool to land your base/mining rig and then add more drills using EVA construction. That way you can improve as you go!

16 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Make sure you are on a high concentration area of Ore. 

I think it would be cool to land your base/mining rig and then add more drills using EVA construction. That way you can improve as you go!

Yeah, but the general amount of drills has to be considered before in terms of power supply, cooling, surface area etc. So it makes a difference if we talk about 2-3 drills or 20-30 drills...  so the rate with which the centrifuge consumes Ore would be a nice starting point for calculations.

And a second question: Is there a way to produce goods like Xenon, Argon and Lithium for the NF Propulsion stuff? As I saw there can Xenon be centrifuged out of depleted uranium, which I have to "produce" first by waiting years for a reactor to run dry... But what about Lithium and Argon? Can I somehow generate it on the fly as well? Is saw something like space dust as further mod - but again: no documentation how the stuff works and where to start. (No complaint, but I love reading stuff about how the parts work) Some nice charts/tables with the relevant parameters would be nice. As an engineer in RL, i love datasheets of parts and tables in order to properly plan a mission. Simply trying out for hours is not very engineer-ish.

Edited by Rakete

10 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

For Argon and Xenon, you want Spacedust

Fir lithium, you should be able to make it in the normal ISRU

Yeah, but I still don't get it, how this works... i read all of the star dust thread, but usefull information on how-to are rare. (as I don't understand what the toggles on the bottom line of dynamic battery storage do). Whats missing is a nice how-to-video on YT. But for spacedust I found nothing usefull on youtube. 

Also lithium: whats the conversion rate? As an engineer, i love to look at a datasheet and pull out some excel or my pocket calculator...

Edited by Rakete

7 hours ago, Cheeky_Gaming10 said:

ok sorry was just wondering if they will update since this is a 2017 mod and the dev might not want to update.

What?

These mods have been receiving regular updates. Your misconception probably stems from the date of the first post. If you look at the "last updated" line under the title of the mod you can get a better perspective.

1.12.X updates are coming, just give them time.

19 hours ago, Nertea said:

like mike said, it might make sense for stock jet engines since most of the engine is just abstracted as being within the hull of the plane - airplane plus or SXT actually have some jet engines with models for the rest of the turbine, which are really cool. but for the Fireflash, it looks like the whole nuclear reactor is within the model, and that the engine seems too be mostly complete ,isnt it ?  or am i wrong and the fireflash is supposed too be way bigger than just the model?

Just stick with 1.11.2 for a while longer... (advantage: you will directly go to an 1.12.1 or 1.12.2 ans skip a maybe buggy 1.12.0 version, with some bugfixes, as soon, as the mods are upgraded to 1.12.x)

So do I...

@Nertea

Bug Report NF Electrics: minor

Message "Use left mouse button to transfer..." while tranfering uranium between storages does not disappear after successful transfer.

Testcase: Build testship on launchpad with smallest reactor, let it run for a while (timewarp maximum), Stop reactor, transfer depleted uranium from little reactor to whirlijig centrifuge. Transfer works, but above mentioned message does not disappear. Message is only cleared by switching vehicles.

Edited by Rakete

5 hours ago, 123nick said:

like mike said, it might make sense for stock jet engines since most of the engine is just abstracted as being within the hull of the plane - airplane plus or SXT actually have some jet engines with models for the rest of the turbine, which are really cool. but for the Fireflash, it looks like the whole nuclear reactor is within the model, and that the engine seems too be mostly complete ,isnt it ?  or am i wrong and the fireflash is supposed too be way bigger than just the model?

Well I got chewed out for having it in the engine before. I only modeled the reactor, there's still a bunch of compressor hardware that's supposed to be 'in front'.

@Rakete I understand your enthusiasm, but as an engineer you must know that writing good documentation takes just as long as the actual project. Most of the information you're asking for here (e.g specific ore conversion rates) can be accessed by right clicking on the part in the VAB. Everything in the mod suite is supposed to work generally like stock so anything you learn there applies here. Where there is a difference, I've tried to at least overview concepts in the documentation, which is generally found in the GitHub wikis (e.g NFE, SpaceDust, SystemHeat). Anyone who wants to work on improving this is welcome to do it. 

On 1.12

So for 1.12 updates, they're coming, working on Restock and framework mods first obviously. In case anyone is curious, you can now find every mod in the suite on an index page.

There will be a few key changes coming with the 1.12 updates.

1. NF Electrical will move to a SystemHeat backend. SH has been pretty stable in terms of features for a few months and has had very few bug reports not related to NTRs. I'm sure you'll all hate me for that but trust me it's for the best. 
  2. NF Launch Vehicles will have all legacy part assets removed (it's been long enough). Prepare yourself.

I thought there were more but hey just two big things!

Edited by Nertea

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

So for 1.12 updates, they're coming, working on Restock and framework mods first obviously. In case anyone is curious, you can now find every mod in the suite on an index page.

FYI, @Nerteathe "Core Mods" link in the 2nd para on the https://post-kerbin-mining-corporation.github.io/coremods page results in a 404.  The link in the header works though.

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

Well I got chewed out for having it in the engine before. I only modeled the reactor, there's still a bunch of compressor hardware that's supposed to be 'in front'.

@Rakete I understand your enthusiasm, but as an engineer you must know that writing good documentation takes just as long as the actual project. Most of the information you're asking for here (e.g specific ore conversion rates) can be accessed by right clicking on the part in the VAB. Everything in the mod suite is supposed to work generally like stock so anything you learn there applies here. Where there is a difference, I've tried to at least overview concepts in the documentation, which is generally found in the GitHub wikis (e.g NFE, SpaceDust, SystemHeat). Anyone who wants to work on improving this is welcome to do it. 

On 1.12

There will be a few key changes coming with the 1.12 updates.

1. NF Electrical will move to a SystemHeat backend. SH has been pretty stable in terms of features for a few months and has had very few bug reports not related to NTRs. I'm sure you'll all hate me for that but trust me it's for the best. 
  2. NF Launch Vehicles will have all legacy part assets removed (it's been long enough). Prepare yourself.

I thought there were more but hey just two big things!

Can you translate #1 for non-Programmers? I love NF electrical in combination with NF propulsion. What's going to change and why? Just curious. ;-)

Will we have to use SystemHeat (whether we like it or not) to be able to use NF electical in future?:confused:

Edited by Rakete