[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

27 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I know about this and don't know how to fix it. 

Maybe someone from the devteam can help? There must be some kind of mechanic, that decides if a vessel floats or sinks? Probably some kind of mass/volumia-equotation (like in real world the density decides). Maybe you can reduce the part mass to a very small value as soon as it splashes down to ensure floating? Not a nice fix, as this is not the way the world works, but maybe a way to compensate for a bug... just an idea... I don't know if it is possible to change part properties on flight. Ugly dirty fix, but maybe a way if the root issue is unknown.

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

I'm sure there's a way, and I'm sure it has to do with drag cubes, and I'm sure it'll be icky. 

As you say drag cubes, I have got a question i'd like to ask you since a long time ago: So some of the capsules are on their widest point wider, then the on the baseplate fitting heat shield. Is this a problem for a highspeed interplanetary intercept direct atmophere entry? With the stock Mk1-3 capsule all of the capsule hides behind the heat shield, but I'm not sure about the NFSC-pods. Eg. the engine housing of the Nereld or the thetys: Will those engines in this housing burn up, on re-entry, as the can't be protected by a heat shield?

Mounting a wider heatshield, that matches the widest point of the capsule is kinda ugly. How is it meant to be used?

Minor not so important sidenote: if you mount on the NFSC-Pods a stock heat shield (on most of the pods) the pod's base plate clips through the heatshield sides, so the attachment node might not fit perfectly. (Thetys, Pandora, Mk4-1) Not a complaint, just a sidenote for a future release. (And another sidenode: The kerbal cam is pushed forward in some pods, so that the Kerbal Eyes clip through the plane of the camera, e.g. the Nerald).

Edited by Rakete

@Nertea Update on the Kerbal Cam of NFSC:

I took the time to test all of the capsules for you: Only the Mk1-L Nereld is buggy in terms of ugly Kerbal Cam-Pictures due to clipping of their heads and especially their poor eyes into the camera plane. All other Commandpods are alright. So if you put your hands on fixing the Nerald in terms of sinking to the ocean, you may also consider fixing this visual thing too? Than it's perfect

These are a lot more work to address than you think... I'll try to remember but you should really fix your github login and put them there. Don't know when I'll look at NFS next

Edited by Nertea

1 hour ago, Rakete said:

As you say drag cubes, I have got a question i'd like to ask you since a long time ago: So some of the capsules are on their widest point wider, then the on the baseplate fitting heat shield. Is this a problem for a highspeed interplanetary intercept direct atmophere entry? With the stock Mk1-3 capsule all of the capsule hides behind the heat shield, but I'm not sure about the NFSC-pods. Eg. the engine housing of the Nereld or the thetys: Will those engines in this housing burn up, on re-entry, as the can't be protected by a heat shield?

Mounting a wider heatshield, that matches the widest point of the capsule is kinda ugly. How is it meant to be used?

Do you have some hints for me on this question here?

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

These are a lot more work to address than you think... I'll try to remember but you should really fix your github login and put them there. Don't know when I'll look at NFS next

Already there...

And annother question. What's this box on the top of the pandora pod for? Is there a matching part, that fits to this box? Somehow I can't attach anything to this "balcony box" on the top. 

Edited by Rakete

9 hours ago, Cosmonaut15 said:

Hello @Nertea, I know you're very busy with updating tons of your great mod.

I found a bug for NF Spacecraft. The Mk1-L Nereid command pod is sinking into the sea under some specific circumstances. Here is the step to reproduce this bug;

1. Assemble the craft from top to bottom as follow ;

Reveal hidden contents

a. Mk16 parachute,

b. Nereid command module

c. Mk12-R drogue chute

d. 1.25 m heat shield reduced ablator to 40u

e. TD-12 decoupler

f. FL-T400 fuel tank

g. LV-T30 Reliant engine 

2. add a kerbal

3. launch the craft 

4. shutdown the engine, DO NOT decouple the tank and engine yet, activate both chute normally,

5. let it fall to the sea, will notice that the pod would sink more than normally did

6. as soon as you decouple the tank and engine, the pod would fall to the seabed

7. tested again with tank and engine decoupled mid air, the pod sank with all parachutes still opened

8. already repeated the step with Mk1-3 pod and Mk-1-TMA and found no issue. Haven't unlock other pod yet so I cannot test further.

Game version 1.12.2, owned both DLC. Playing on PC.

All mods are up-to-date and were installed via CKAN.

List of mods:

Reveal hidden contents

[x] Science! Continued (xScienceContinued 6.0.0.8)
AT Utils (AT-Utils v1.9.6)
B9 Part Switch (B9PartSwitch v2.18.0)
Background Resources (BackgroundResources 1:V0.17.0.0)
BonVoyage (BonVoyage 1:1.4.0)
Breaking Ground (BreakingGround-DLC 1.7.1)
BurstAtomicThrustModule (BurstAtomicThrust 0.1.0.3)
Chatterer (Chatterer 0.9.99)
Chatterer Extended (ChattererExtended 0.6.2)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 1:0.1.10.17)
Community Category Kit (CommunityCategoryKit v5.2.0.0)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 1.4.2)
Community Tech Tree (CommunityTechTree 1:3.4.4)
Cryo Tanks (CryoTanks 1.6.1)
Cryo Tanks Core (CryoTanks-Core 1.6.1)
Cryogenic Engines (CryoEngines 1:2.0.3)
DeepFreeze Continued... (DeepFreeze V0.30.0.0)
Deployable Engines Plugin (DeployableEngines 1.3.1)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued (DistantObject v2.0.2.0)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued default config (DistantObject-default v2.0.2.0)
Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.9.2.2)
Dynamic Battery Storage (DynamicBatteryStorage 2:2.2.5.0)
Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) (EasyVesselSwitch 2.3)
Engine Lighting Relit (EngineLightRelit 1.6.3)
Environmental Visual Enhancements Redux (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 3:1.11.3.1)
Far Future Technologies (FarFutureTechnologies 1.2.0)
Final Frontier (FinalFrontier 1.10.0-3485)
Global Construction (GroundConstruction 2.6.4.1)
Global Construction Core (GroundConstruction-Core 2.6.4.1)
HeapPadder (HeapPadder 0.0.2)
Heat Control (HeatControl 0.6.1)
Kerbal Atomics (KerbalAtomics 1:1.3.2)
Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 1.9)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.9.0)
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems (KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems v1.6.14)
Kerbal Space Transport System (KSTS 2.0.2)
KSPRC city lights (KSPRC-CityLights 0.7_PreRelease_3)
Magpie Mods (MagpieMods 1.5.9)
Making History (MakingHistory-DLC 1.12.1)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.12.3.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.2.1)
Near Future Construction (NearFutureConstruction 1.3.1)
Near Future Electrical (NearFutureElectrical 1.2.3)
Near Future Electrical Core (NearFutureElectrical-Core 1.2.3)
Near Future Exploration (NearFutureExploration 1.1.2)
Near Future IVA Props (NearFutureProps 1:0.7.1)
Near Future Launch Vehicles (NearFutureLaunchVehicles 2.2.0)
Near Future Propulsion (NearFuturePropulsion 1.3.4)
Near Future Solar (NearFutureSolar 1.3.2)
Near Future Solar Core (NearFutureSolar-Core 1.3.2)
Near Future Spacecraft (NearFutureSpacecraft 1.4.2)
PlanetShine (PlanetShine 0.2.6.3)
PlanetShine - Default configuration (PlanetShine-Config-Default 0.2.6.3)
RasterPropMonitor (RasterPropMonitor 1:v0.31.4)
RasterPropMonitor Core (RasterPropMonitor-Core 1:v0.31.4)
RealChute Parachute Systems (RealChute v1.4.8.3)
REPOSoftTech-Agencies (REPOSoftTech-Agencies V1.5.9.0)
ReStock (ReStock 1.4.2)
ReStock+ (ReStockPlus 1.4.2)
SCANsat (SCANsat v20.4)
scatterer (Scatterer 3:v0.0772)
Scatterer Default Config (Scatterer-config 3:v0.0772)
Scatterer Sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 3:v0.0772)
Space Dust (SpaceDust 0.4.2)
SpaceTux Library (SpaceTuxLibrary 0.0.6.1)
Spectra (Spectra v1.4.0)
Stock Waterfall Effects (StockWaterfallEffects 0.5.1)
Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux (StationPartsExpansionRedux 1.4.0)
Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux - Metal Surfaces (StationPartsExpansionRedux-Metal 1.4.0)
Surface Mounted Lights (surfacelights 1.19)
System Heat (SystemHeat 0.5.5)
System Heat - Nuclear Reactor Configuration (SystemHeat-FissionReactors 0.5.5)
System Heat - Resource Converter Configuration (SystemHeat-Converters 0.5.5)
System Heat - Resource Harvester Configuration (SystemHeat-Harvesters 0.5.5)
Textures Unlimited (TexturesUnlimited 1.5.10.25)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.6)
Trajectories (Trajectories v2.4.1)
TriggerAu Flags (TriggerAu-Flags v2.10.0.0)
USI Life Support (USI-LS 1.4.0)
USI Tools (USITools v112.0.0)
Waterfall - Restock (WaterfallRestock 0.2.2)
Waterfall Core (Waterfall 0.6.7)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.1.1)

Thank you in advance and keep up your good work and work-life-balance!

Added your bug report to nerteas github repository as issue.

5 hours ago, Rakete said:

Already there...

And annother question. What's this box on the top of the pandora pod for? Is there a matching part, that fits to this box? Somehow I can't attach anything to this "balcony box" on the top. 

It's just for looks. It matches some real-world capsule design, I think. Can't remember which one right now.

On 8/24/2021 at 12:20 PM, Rakete said:

Already there...

Ingame, it has a light and it looks fun. 

17 hours ago, ElonsMusk said:

Hullo, dear cosmofriends. I have 4 symmetrical black bars in-scene with one of the craft. Curious if this is user error or conflict with another mod. Example under spoiler.

Hide contents

ww5QU1h.png

Log

Can't think what I might do to cause this, don't think it's my fault. 

NF Spacecraft 1.4.3

• KSP 1.12
  • Updated ModuleManager to 4.2.1
  • Updated NearFutureProps to 0.6.5
  • Added docking rotation functions to tiny shielded port
  • Ajusted kerbal viewpoints for Nereid pod, should clip less
  • Added more buoyancy to Nereid, should float ok with heatshield, chute and engines attached

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

NF Spacecraft 1.4.3

• KSP 1.12
  • Updated ModuleManager to 4.2.1
  • Updated NearFutureProps to 0.6.5
  • Added docking rotation functions to tiny shielded port
  • Ajusted kerbal viewpoints for Nereid pod, should clip less
  • Added more buoyancy to Nereid, should float ok with heatshield, chute and engines attached

So I tried to dock the tiny port, seems to work in 1.11.2. How is this possible? Are the new rotational features simply ignored by the old not-rotationable KSP 1.11.2? I expected a gamecrash.

This means also in KSP 1.11.2 the ports with these features won't drift like they do in 1.12, right? (You didn't write the whole rotation feature, but just wrote the rotationable-ready-parameter in the part, right?)

9 minutes ago, Rakete said:

So I tried to dock the tiny port, seems to work in 1.11.2. How is this possible? Are the new rotational features simply ignored by the old not-rotationable KSP 1.11.2? I expected a gamecrash.

This means also in KSP 1.11.2 the ports with these features won't drift like they do in 1.12, right? (You didn't write the whole rotation feature, but just wrote the rotationable-ready-parameter in the part, right?)

The changes are

• Appropriate configuration values in the file
  • Model cut up to support rotation

Neither of these will do anything in 1.11 save that you will see docking port rotation arrows that do nothing on the model . 

16 minutes ago, Nertea said:

The changes are

• Appropriate configuration values in the file
  • Model cut up to support rotation

Neither of these will do anything in 1.11 save that you will see docking port rotation arrows that do nothing on the model . 

So this means, if I import your rotation-ready docking port containing mods (NF LV, SSPXr, etc.) in 1.11.2 i don't import its drift issues to 1.11.2 since the drifty-wobbly code is in KSP 1.12 itself and not in your mods, so my stuff will not drift apart as it would in 1.12, right?

Edited by Rakete

On 8/25/2021 at 4:20 AM, mikegarrison said:

It's just for looks. It matches some real-world capsule design, I think. Can't remember which one right now.

It's from older designs of Russian PTK NP aka Federation aka Oryol spacecraft. I think it was supposed to be a chute container or docking system. Current design doesn't have it thoughSNhf-2s-pTS357lC0x_PAhsoZMUWalDeRi8cfXRU

Hi, I have an observation for the Proteus pod. Not necessarily a bug report, but something to watch out for (especially for the players).

I'm not 100% sure of it yet, but some experiments show that the hitbox of the pod might stretch out slightly further than that of the appropriately-sized heatshield. This is indeed the case visually:

c7722684-2b26-4a40-a8f8-3ef8cfa225ca.png

What this can mean is that when re-entering at high speeds and/or in tougher conditions (JNSQ, deadly reentry, etc), the pod can slowly overheat and explode even though it's behind the heatshield. Just something to keep in mind.

7 minutes ago, limelier said:

Hi, I have an observation for the Proteus pod. Not necessarily a bug report, but something to watch out for (especially for the players).

I'm not 100% sure of it yet, but some experiments show that the hitbox of the pod might stretch out slightly further than that of the appropriately-sized heatshield. This is indeed the case visually:

c7722684-2b26-4a40-a8f8-3ef8cfa225ca.png

What this can mean is that when re-entering at high speeds and/or in tougher conditions (JNSQ, deadly reentry, etc), the pod can slowly overheat and explode even though it's behind the heatshield. Just something to keep in mind.

This is the case with most of the NF Command pods. Especially with the 7-Kerbal one.