[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

15 minutes ago, dlrk said:

Yes, but I only have control when I have a signal to KSC

It is a command module the pilot is in, correct?  I have to ask.

I haven't played that kind of game for awhile so maybe I shouldn't have responded.  I normally always have a probe core and use kOS scripts mostly.  But from what I recall, you should have control if you have a pilot in a command module (to verify, right-click the part the pilot is in and if there is a "control from here" option then it is a command module, I think).

I re-read your post and noted you do have a command pod.  Is the pilot in it?  Maybe try having him EVA and re-enter command pod.

If none of this helps, sorry, but I've never run into that issue.  If you have the pilot in a command module then maybe try going to the Space Center, then back to the craft.  If that doesn't change things then save, exit the game, and then re-enter game.  Obviously I'm spitballing here

Edited by darthgently

i was just messing around in sandbox with the "project Eeloo" nuclear engines from near future aeronautics and couldn't get the air breathing mode to work, despite being able to run a broadsword engine on air breathing mode with the same intake configuration. am i just being dumb or is there something in the configs that i have to change?

3 hours ago, Zulkonit said:

Will near future construction be updated to 1.12 soon? :):):)

Hi @Zulkonit! Welcome to the Forums! 

Are you having specific problems with NF Construction? There are many people (myself included) that use the various Near Future mods in their games without problem. If you aren't having any problems, then don't worry about the version number. It's like the song says, "Age is just a number, and so are KSP versions" (or something like that!). 

If you haven't tried using any of the NF mods, it's usually a good idea to read some of the forum posts. At minimum, the Original Post and at least a few pages back from current. That will tell you if anyone has been reporting significant problems. In this case, on the previous page, on March 4th @Grem helpfully reported that all of the mods are currently working with KSP 1.12.3.

If you are trying to install using CKAN and having issues, note that you can override the version in CKAN.

And, if you have already installed an NF mod and you are having problems, we need information to help you. Follow the instructions in this post.

Again, welcome!

On 4/6/2022 at 3:29 PM, Zulkonit said:

Will near future construction be updated to 1.12 soon? :):):)

The extent of Near Future Construction's "incompatibility" with KSP 1.12 is simply that its docking ports don't have 1.12 docking port rotation features, which doesn't matter because only recently were community modders able to mitigate all of the bugginess of that system- you're much better off using the dockrotate mod instead.

On 4/10/2022 at 1:23 PM, Nertea said:

Well, we're not using any of of mod parts, though there is likely to be inspirational crossover. 

Some of the trusses seen on the larger ships shown are 1:1 equivalents to NFC parts. The parts might not have been ported outright but 'likely inspirational crossover' doesn't really cut it. At 9:30, those are absolutely 5m annular trusses on the right.

I'm trying to create different RTG fuel pellet options using both B9PartSwitch and NFE's DecayingRTGs feature, but NFE is not respecting the HalfLife value specified in ModuleB9PartSwitch. It does respect the BasePower value so I'm fairly certain I have the config written correctly.

Here's a sample config. It's short, I've included only two fuel types for brevity's sake. Identifying incorrect behavior is quick and easy with a test craft with the radically different half-lives.

Spoiler
@PART[rtg]:FOR[NearFutureElectrical]
{
  !MODULE[ModuleGenerator] {}
  @TechRequired = advElectrics
  @description = #LOC_NFrtg_stockRTG_desc
  MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleRadioisotopeGenerator
		BasePower = 0.75
		HalfLife = 87.7
		EasyMode = true
	}
  MODULE
  {
	name = ModuleB9PartSwitch
	moduleID = pelletChange
	switcherDescription = #LOC_NFrtg_pelletselector
	SUBTYPE
	{
		name = RTG_Pu238
		title = #LOC_Pu238
		descriptionSummary = #LOC_Pu238_desc
		descriptionDetail = #LOC_Pu238_detail
		primaryColor = Grey
		secondaryColor = Black
		defaultsubtypepriority = 3
		upgradeRequired = RTGupgrade_Pu238
	}
	SUBTYPE
	{
		name = RTG_Po210
		title = #LOC_Po210
		descriptionSummary = #LOC_Po210_desc
		descriptionDetail = #LOC_Po210_detail
		primaryColor = Grey
		secondaryColor = Cherry
		addedCost = -10450
		defaultsubtypepriority = 1
		MODULE
		{
			IDENTIFIER
				{ name = ModuleRadioisotopeGenerator }
			DATA
			{
				BasePower = 2.25
				HalfLife = 0.38
			}
		}
	}
}

The subtypes will display the correct half-life in the selection menu, and the RTG does as well as in flight in the part info window, but in actual use on a vessel, all subtypes actually decay based on whatever HalfLife I specify in the initial definition of the module. BasePower does work though, and each subtype will use the value specified in its MODULE DATA in flight for that, so as far as I can tell I have written it correctly.

I have tried two other things. First, simply not including a HalfLife value at all in the initial definition and only defining it in the subtypes (a MODULE field was added to the 238Pu subtype). In that case every subtype will still display the correct HalfLife exactly as above, but now the decay will follow whatever HalfLife value is specified in the first listed subtype within ModuleB9PartSwitch. Second, if I define a completely separate version of the RTG using +PART[rtg] and going from there, that will respect the HalfLife defined within that part and I will have two properly working RTGs. I can do that, but I am trying to use B9PartSwitch to avoid cluttering the editor with 3-5 instances each of several mods' RTGs.

Everything else I am trying to do in the above config works. Base power always shows as 0.00 in the editor which is odd, but it displays and functions correctly in flight.

Am I making a dumb mistake in my code, or is this a bug somewhere? I know the MODULE feature of B9PartSwitch is not perfect and occasionally modules don't play nice with it, but since NFE bundles it and uses it extensively, I wouldn't have expected a compatibility issue.

Edited by saxyomega90125
words hard

Running into an issue with NFE and FTL Drive Continued: when I make an FTL jump using a craft with a fission reactor, all of the EnrichedUranium is drained from the reactor when I emerge from the jump. @linuxgurugamersuggested uninstalling NFE to see if the problem persists, but if I do that I'll lose the reactor parts and won't be able to test at all. Suggestions?

From the FTL Drive Continued thread:

3 hours ago, attosecond said:

Is the mod supposed to drain all EC after a jump? I see the EC draining while it spins up, but there's always some left in the batteries when I execute the jump. When I appear next to the beacon all EC on the craft has vanished, from every part. Worse, it's also zeroing out my Enriched Uranium resources, which unfortunately can't be re-charged with solar panels.

57 minutes ago, attosecond said:

if I do that I'll lose the reactor parts and won't be able to test at all. Suggestions?

Test with nuclear reactor parts from other mods, namely Mk2 and Mk3 Stockalike Expansion (which were and should still be integrated by NFE). If the problem goes away then you have confirmation that NFE and FTL's plugins are conflicting somehow.

19 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Test with nuclear reactor parts from other mods, namely Mk2 and Mk3 Stockalike Expansion (which were and should still be integrated by NFE). If the problem goes away then you have confirmation that NFE and FTL's plugins are conflicting somehow.

Testing completed... I ran 3 configurations and have concluded that I don't know what's causing the issue, but it's widespread:

1. Stock + FTL Drive Continued: all EC is removed from a craft after jump execution, even when there's plenty of reserve left after drive spin-up
  2. Stock + FTL Drive Continued + Mk2 Stockalike expansion: all EC is removed, and all Enriched Uranium is removed from the craft, as well.
  3. Stock + FTL Drive Continued + Near Future Electrical: all EC is removed, and all Enriched Uranium is removed from the craft, as well.

I'm leaning towards this being a problem in FTL Drive Continued, so I posted all my screen grabs and videos in that forum thread:

On 1/23/2017 at 4:23 PM, Nertea said:
KSP 1.12.x

Near Future Propulsion [1.3.5] 
Last Updated August 26, 2021

screenshot762.png

This pack contains advanced electric engines for deep space travel. Generally engines split into the following categories:

• Gridded Ion Engines: like the stock Dawn, they have low TWR and great Isp. They run on Xenon fuel.
  • Hall Effect Thrusters: similar to Gridded thrusters, but with better TWR at the cost of some Isp. They run on Argon fuel and are pretty cheap!
  • Magnetoplasmadynamic Thrusters: with the best TWR of all electric engines, these engines are very power-hungry. They run on Lithium fuel.
  • Pulsed Inductive Thrusters: similar to Hall thrusters, they run on Argon fuel and have the unique ability to dump extra electricity into the engine, increasing Isp but generating more heat. 
  • VASIMR Engines: high tech and fancy, these engines run on either Xenon or Argon fuel. They can be tuned for high-thrust, low Isp operation, or low-thrust, high-Isp operation

These engines are all very power hungry - use nuclear reactors or high intensity solar to get the power you need. Their balance has been finely tuned to work with stock mechanics and to extend the KSP experience, particularly in combination with the Community Tech Tree. 

Full Screenshot Gallery

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Will you add a part I want?
A: I have defined this mod as feature complete, and bugfixes are all I plan to add.

Q: The mod album shows parts that look old/don't exist. What's up with that?
A: Keeping the gallery up to date is not super easy. I have it as an action item in the future but this takes time away from real modding.

Q: Does this work well with KSPI-E?
A: Talk to FreeThinker about this, he manages KSPI-E and its compatibility with NFT

Dependencies (Required and Bundled)

• Module Manager 
  • B9 Part Switch
  • Community Resource Pack

Licensing

• All code and cfgs are distributed under the MIT License
  • All art assets (textures, models, animations) are distributed under an All Rights Reserved License.
  • All bundled mods are distributed under their own licenses.

Download
Mirrors

Primary (SpaceDock)
Secondary (CurseForge)

Tertiary (Github)

Issue Tracking and Source

KSP 1.12.x 

Near Future Electrical [1.2.3] 
Last Updated July 21, 2021

kz0PlHa.png

Ever wanted some futuristic energy generation that wasn't too... futuristic? I have you covered here. This pack contains:

• Nuclear Reactors: Turn Uranium into power! Attach nuclear reactors to your vessel and generate large amount of electricity. Ensure that you have enough cooling capacity with radiators for your reactors to work properly.  
  • Refuelling Parts: store extra uranium, reprocess it and extract it from Ore with containers and reprocessors.
  • Capacitors: discharge for a burst of power! These parts can be charge up with normal generating capacity, and once activated will deliver a large amount of power to your ship's electricity banks. Very mass efficient!

Full Screenshot Gallery

Q: Does this work well with KSPI-E?
A: Talk to FreeThinker about this, he manages KSPI-E and its compatibility with NFT.

A: Keeping the gallery up to date is not super easy. I have it as an action item in the future but this takes time away from real modding.

A: I have defined this mod as feature complete, and bugfixes are all I plan to add.

• Module Manager 
  • B9 Part Switch
  • Dynamic Battery Storage

Licensing

• All art assets (textures, models, animations) are distributed under an All Rights Reserved License.

Download
Mirrors

Primary (SpaceDock)
Secondary (CurseForge)

Tertiary (GitHub)

KSP 1.12.x

Near Future Solar [1.3.2] 

1qeyP4m.png

This pack contains many concept solar panels to use on your ships and stations. There are many sizes ranging from small form-factor panels up to gigantic solar arrays. Additionally, some wraparaound solar panels are provided, for coolness. 

Full Screenshot Gallery

• Module Manager 

Licensing

Download
Mirrors

Primary (SpaceDock)
Secondary (CurseForge)
Tertiary (GitHub)

KSP 1.11.x

Near Future Construction [1.3.1] 
Last Updated December 26, 2020

Pox4Cnv.png

This pack contains a good number of skeletal trusses and construction type parts for building those near-futurish ships you see in concept art. You'll enjoy:

• A 1.25m size class triangular truss set
  • A 2.5m size class octagonal truss set
  • A 3.75m size class square truss set
  • A 5m size class annular truss set
  • Adapters and connectors galore!

Full Screenshot Gallery

• Module Manager 
  • B9 Part Switch

Licensing

Download
Mirrors

Primary (SpaceDock)
Secondary (CurseForge)

Tertiary (GitHub)

KSP 1.12.x

Near Future Spacecraft [1.4.3] 
Last Updated August 26, 2021

6P1Wiyj.png

This pack contains a variety of parts for making crewed spacecraft. This means command pods. Pretty much just command pods, but also monopropellant engines in many sizes!

Full Screenshot Gallery

Q: What is up with the RPM IVAs?

A: Some exist but now require the ASET props pack to work. They only function for the older (Mk4-1, Mk3-9, PPD-1) pods.

• Module Manager 
  • B9 Part Switch
  • Near Future Props

Licensing

Download
Mirrors

Primary (SpaceDock)
Secondary (CurseForge)

Tertiary (GitHub)

KSP 1.12.x 

Near Future Launch Vehicles [2.2.0] 
Last Updated July 21, 2021

FuJAnku.jpg

The latest and greatest (for size, perhaps) in launch vehicle components. This pack includes

• 5.0m Parts: a balanced and extensive part set that provides a new size of rocket parts. Comes with tanks, adapters, utility parts and specialized components for engine clustering.
  • 7.5m Parts: an extra-large set of rocket parts for those huge constructions. Includes adapters, clustering, cargo and utility parts.
  • Advanced Engines: several new rocket engines based on a whole set of concepts in the 0.625 to 3.75m sizes.
  • Support Parts: new supporting parts that help enhance the large rocket experience, like heavy RCS thrusters.

Full Screenshot Gallery

• Module Manager 
  • B9 Part Switch
  • DeployableEngines

Licensing

Download
Mirrors

Primary (SpaceDock)
Secondary (CurseForge)

Tertiary (GitHub)

KSP 1.12.x

Near Future eXploration [1.1.2] 

wpJiT43.png

This pack contains a set of parts to help enhance and improve the KSP probe experience, particularly in the later game with larger probes. You will find:

• More Probe Cores: A set of eight new probe cores in medium (1.25m) and larger (1.875m) sizes. 
  • Probe Bus Parts:  Cargo bay-like parts that match the footprints of most probe cores (stock and NFX). Useful for storing batteries, fuel and the like
  • Probe Fuel Tanks: New multi-fuel probe tanks in stack and radial sizes that are in the vein of the stock Dumpling and Baguette
  • More Direct and Relay Antennae: More antennae that seamlessly fit into the KSP CommNet system to fill in missing ranges and add more interesting options.
  • Reflector Antennae: A new type of antenna that does nothing on its own, but instead bounces signal from another antenna to amplify its range. Point antenna at a deployed reflector to recieve the bonus. Available in many sizes. 
  • Small Probe Parts: A few small probe parts (battery, reaction wheel) to fill out the probe range

Full Screenshot Gallery

Q: I'm using Remote Tech and something doesn't work!
A: This mod is not compatible with RemoteTech. Some aspects may work but the reflector/feeder system would need to be reimplemented by the RT devs. 

• Module Manager 
  • B9 Part Switch

Licensing

Download
Mirrors

Primary (SpaceDock)
Secondary (CurseForge)

Tertiary (Github)

KSP 1.12.x 

Near Future Aeronautics [2.1.1] 

MskjDXE.png

This pack contains large and powerful aerospace parts, such as jet engines, intakes, and nacelles. It was preciously part of the MkIV Spaceplane system but has been split off. 

• Large Multimode Engines: Big (2.5m), powerful RAPIER-like engines for your wildest spaceplane needs.
  • Large Jet Engines: Hefty 2.5m engines - turbofans and turbojets for big aircraft.
  • Advanced Propeller Engines: Super-efficient low speed propfans and turboprops.
  • Lift Fans: Designed specifically for efficient VTOL and available in many sizes, these engines can run on LiquidFuel and air, or be driven electrically for flight in oxygenless atmospheres.
  • Nuclear Jet Engines: Massive, rewarding engines that let you fly almost forever!
  • Large Nacelles and Intakes: Of course, 2.5m nacelles, engine pods, precoolers and advanced intakes to help out.

Full Screenshot Gallery

Q: CKAN Support Questions?
A: Talk to CKAN folks, CKAN is not supported. This is because KerbalActuators, a dependency of this mod, is specifically NOT listed on CKAN

Q: I don't like the balance of *thisPart*
A: I appreciate suggestions from experience aeronauts for engine balance, it's not really my specialty (Sith lords are).

• Module Manager 
  • B9 Part Switch
  • KerbalActuators
  • DeployableEngines

Licensing

Download
Mirrors

Primary (SpaceDock)
Secondary (CurseForge)

Tertiary (GitHub)

Special Thanks 

A big hand to @Streetwind , who basically designed the balance for the whole NFT suite.

If you appreciate this project, please consider contributing to my caffeine addiction! I really appreciate it, and also helps justify this time sink to my wife :wink:, which results directly in more models.  btn_donate_SM.gif

probably one of my favourite mods, well done

On 2/15/2022 at 11:47 AM, leonardfactory said:

Hi @Scotty6644, Kerbalism intentionally modifies many mods resource production systems (and even NFE) because it uses a custom background simulation system, like described here: https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/wiki/Home-~-Mod-Support#why-is-kerbalism-messing-with-mods-and-stock-modules-

So it replaces many modules, included the NFE provided ones. The NFE system is very enjoyable alone, however I'd like to point this out since you may start finding strange interactions (like time warp disable above 1000x, for example), since Kerbalism background simulation needs a consistent system.

Someone should "bridge" the two systems together, like someone did for SystemHeat (https://github.com/judicator/KerbalismSystemHeat) however it hasn't been done right now, so you need to choose between NFE "as-is" with the Kerbalism integration problems, or Kerbalism (Simplex) replacements.

Hey @leonardfactory,

Thank you for the information and the links.

But does that mean, that all mods (in this topic) shouldn't be installed with Kerbalism or can some be "patched" or used with it?

Or @Sir Mortimer ?

Edited by N3N

On 4/25/2022 at 6:23 PM, Ruedii said:

Minor feature request:
Could we get the LFO engine configurations for Near Future Spacecraft to make separate engines with LFO instead of replacing the Monoprop engines?

Untested, but if you replace the contents of OrbitalEnginesLFO.cfg with the below, it should do this:

Spoiler
// Adds LFO variants of the mono engines

+PART[orbital-engine-0625]:FOR[NearFutureSpacecraft]
{
	@name = orbital-engine-0625-LFO
	@tile = #$title$ (LFO)

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
    {
		@PROPELLANT[MonoPropellant]
		{
			@name = LiquidFuel
			@ratio = 0.9
		}
		%PROPELLANT[Oxidizer]
		{
			%ratio = 1.1
		}

}
}
+PART[orbital-engine-125]:FOR[NearFutureSpacecraft]
{
	@name = orbital-engine-125-LFO
	@tile = #$title$ (LFO)

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
    {
		{
			@name = LiquidFuel
			@ratio = 0.9
		}
		%PROPELLANT[Oxidizer]
		{
			%ratio = 1.1
		}

}
}
+PART[orbital-engine-25]:FOR[NearFutureSpacecraft]
{
	@name = orbital-engine-25-LFO
	@tile = #$title$ (LFO)

@MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]
	{
		@SUBTYPE[Integrated]
		{
			@tankType = LFO
		}
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
    {
		{
			@name = LiquidFuel
			@ratio = 0.9
		}
		%PROPELLANT[Oxidizer]
		{
			%ratio = 1.1
		}

}
}
+PART[orbital-engine-375]:FOR[NearFutureSpacecraft]
{
	@name = orbital-engine-375-LFO
	@tile = #$title$ (LFO)

@MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]:HAS[#switcherDescription[Fuel?Tanks]]
	{
		@SUBTYPE[Integrated]
		{
			@tankType = LFO
		}
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
    {
		{
			@name = LiquidFuel
			@ratio = 0.9
		}
		%PROPELLANT[Oxidizer]
		{
			%ratio = 1.1
		}

}
}

Edited by Aelfhe1m
Fixed error with 3.75m engine not being renamed after copy

I tried to search this on google before coming here, no good results or my terms sucked.
I'm experiencing an interesting bug with the Amalthea lander pod, from NFSpacecraft.  Everytime i launch a ship with that command pod, it explodes on the launchpad.So I launched just the pod with its landing engines. This was the result..DHXbWdO.png

Z5qRyFJ.png

The command pod is duplicating itself multiple times in flight, there is one pod also spawned inside the launchpad.
Any ideas why this is happening and how i can make it stop? I have tested all the other pods and none of them are doing this.

heres my ksp.log https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ykqHsSdU2yD8KDUpHcoCa3Grtkh7NSn6/view?usp=sharing

Edited by RickJames
added photo and more detail/ ksp.log

On 4/26/2022 at 6:56 AM, Aelfhe1m said:

Untested, but if you replace the contents of OrbitalEnginesLFO.cfg with the below, it should do this:

Hide contents
// Adds LFO variants of the mono engines

+PART[orbital-engine-0625]:FOR[NearFutureSpacecraft]
{
	@name = orbital-engine-0625-LFO
	@tile = #$title$ (LFO)

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
    {
		{
			@name = LiquidFuel
			@ratio = 0.9
		}
		%PROPELLANT[Oxidizer]
		{
			%ratio = 1.1
		}

}
}
+PART[orbital-engine-125]:FOR[NearFutureSpacecraft]
{
	@name = orbital-engine-125-LFO
	@tile = #$title$ (LFO)

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
    {
		{
			@name = LiquidFuel
			@ratio = 0.9
		}
		%PROPELLANT[Oxidizer]
		{
			%ratio = 1.1
		}

}
}
+PART[orbital-engine-25]:FOR[NearFutureSpacecraft]
{
	@name = orbital-engine-25-LFO
	@tile = #$title$ (LFO)

@MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]
	{
		@SUBTYPE[Integrated]
		{
			@tankType = LFO
		}
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
    {
		{
			@name = LiquidFuel
			@ratio = 0.9
		}
		%PROPELLANT[Oxidizer]
		{
			%ratio = 1.1
		}

}
}
+PART[orbital-engine-375]:FOR[NearFutureSpacecraft]
{
	@name = orbital-engine-375-LFO
	@tile = #$title$ (LFO)

@MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]:HAS[#switcherDescription[Fuel?Tanks]]
	{
		@SUBTYPE[Integrated]
		{
			@tankType = LFO
		}
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
    {
		{
			@name = LiquidFuel
			@ratio = 0.9
		}
		%PROPELLANT[Oxidizer]
		{
			%ratio = 1.1
		}

}
}

Yes there is a patch to replace them, but it replaces the engines.  It doesn't make a separate set of engines. 

14 hours ago, RickJames said:

I tried to search this on google before coming here, no good results or my terms sucked.
I'm experiencing an interesting bug with the Amalthea lander pod, from NFSpacecraft.  Everytime i launch a ship with that command pod, it explodes on the launchpad.So I launched just the pod with its landing engines. This was the result..DHXbWdO.png

Z5qRyFJ.png

The command pod is duplicating itself multiple times in flight, there is one pod also spawned inside the launchpad.
Any ideas why this is happening and how i can make it stop? I have tested all the other pods and none of them are doing this.

heres my ksp.log https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ykqHsSdU2yD8KDUpHcoCa3Grtkh7NSn6/view?usp=sharing

Do you have mirror on?

Noticed something else, if I click the pod that is in the launch pad it opens this window. When I click that new text button it switches pods, they seem to both be manned with the same crew..

G10P0YI.png

w2KdpC3.png

I cannot switch ships using the square brackets, Game doesnt seem to know there are two pods.

Edited by RickJames
forgot pics

On 5/3/2022 at 10:43 AM, RickJames said:

Noticed something else, if I click the pod that is in the launch pad it opens this window. When I click that new text button it switches pods, they seem to both be manned with the same crew..

I cannot switch ships using the square brackets, Game doesnt seem to know there are two pods.

I don't think this would be something to do with this mod, that part is a pretty basic, boring part. Check all your dependencies and try a clean install. 

On 5/9/2022 at 5:52 PM, Chippy the Space Dog said:

I'm having an issue where my space station is running out of power in time warp, resulting in crew dying. I've noticed something odd with the near future interface saying the station isn't generating any power according to NF, though clearly there's power in abundance.  Any suggestions for a fix?

Well, looks like KSPIE in there. When using that mod, NFT warranties are all void. KSPIE has its own power manager you should probably be looking at.