[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

4 hours ago, Jacke said:

I think the previous poster is confusing the desire with rocket engines with heated high-temperature exhaust to have the lightest average atomic particle mass.  @mikegarrison, you are quite right that engines with electro-magnetic acceleration of the fuel want the highest average atomic particle mass.

The magnetoplasmadynamic lithium-powered engines + the VASIMRs were what I meant to mention - My bad. I've got a custom config working anyway that seems to do the trick!

I've run into a bug with the Rhea command pod. It thinks it is a probe, even when there is crew present.

I ran out of power and lost total control of the Rhea, despite there being crew right there!

KSP ver 1.12.3.3173 (steam)

Near Future Spacecraft 1.4.3 installed from CKAN

I edited the part and replaced "minimumCrew = 0" with "minimumCrew = 1". Problem went away, now says "Full Crew Control" with the crew icon instead of the probe icon in the upper left.

Edited by mwerezak
Additional information

• 3 weeks later...

I know you've deemed this "Feature Complete" but is there a way you could make the reactors compatible with the existing radiators? Maybe give me some pointers on how I could modify the files in the mod to accomplish this myself? I love this mod and I appreciate all the work you've put into it, just this one little thing gets me. Thank you!

Edit: Tried to upload a pic of what is happening, the insane amount of hardware attached to one reactor and the temperature still going up, but the forum doesn't like any of my links...

Second Edit: After some extra research, I can see this post makes no sense. I must have something conflicting with the way systemheat interacts with all the different systems as it's not being distributed properly and/or the parts are not updated correctly. Ugh... Here goes one by one uninstall and reload....

Third Edit: The radiators that are supposed to come with the Near Future Electrical mod aren't showing up in any place that I can see. Not even in a search in parts or in the tech tree.

Edited by KSPMoose
more info

In case I haven't said this before: Your mod collection is awesome, and I thank you for your hard work.

I used the 7.5 parts to create a rocket inspired by mad lad Philip Bono's ROOST concept.

52328912787_8a45e3209a_o.png

52328912927_c29e33f18f_o.png

I had to give it Falcon 9 landing legs because the engine block kept falling off on landing. Also I'm not sure what the use case for this would be outside of messing around in sandbox (which I love).

Edited by Blufor878

VBCi93t.png

Here's a screenshot from inside the Proteus command pod.

As you can see, most of the screens don't work. Also, if you notice, the Instrument Panel lights don't work, nor does any illumination of the buttons (cockpit lights work okay it seems).

The Nereid pod works 100% fine, this is something specific about the Proteus that's busted.

So much of this pod was broken I legit was treating this like a flight simulator and was looking for a switch that said 'battery' or something because I thought nothing had power.

EDIT: Oh my god. OH MY GOD. There ACTUALLY IS A BATTERY AND BUS switch under the red covers on the top right. I was NOT expecting there to actually be one.

@Nertea you absolute cheeky stand-up guy.

Edited by Frostiken

On 9/5/2022 at 6:07 AM, Frostiken said:

VBCi93t.png

Here's a screenshot from inside the Proteus command pod.

As you can see, most of the screens don't work. Also, if you notice, the Instrument Panel lights don't work, nor does any illumination of the buttons (cockpit lights work okay it seems).

The Nereid pod works 100% fine, this is something specific about the Proteus that's busted.

So much of this pod was broken I legit was treating this like a flight simulator and was looking for a switch that said 'battery' or something because I thought nothing had power.

EDIT: Oh my god. OH MY GOD. There ACTUALLY IS A BATTERY AND BUS switch under the red covers on the top right. I was NOT expecting there to actually be one.

@Nertea you absolute cheeky stand-up guy.

I only get IVA for mk1-X, mk3-9 and PD-1. How can you get for other capsul ? even if it does work ^^'

On 8/7/2022 at 7:44 PM, mwerezak said:

I've run into a bug with the Rhea command pod. It thinks it is a probe, even when there is crew present.

I ran out of power and lost total control of the Rhea, despite there being crew right there!

KSP ver 1.12.3.3173 (steam)

Near Future Spacecraft 1.4.3 installed from CKAN

I edited the part and replaced "minimumCrew = 0" with "minimumCrew = 1". Problem went away, now says "Full Crew Control" with the crew icon instead of the probe icon in the upper left.

This is an intentional 'bug'. You have command all the time because it is a probe core. Also because it's a probe core, it has to be powered. 

On 8/23/2022 at 11:21 PM, KSPMoose said:

I know you've deemed this "Feature Complete" but is there a way you could make the reactors compatible with the existing radiators? Maybe give me some pointers on how I could modify the files in the mod to accomplish this myself? I love this mod and I appreciate all the work you've put into it, just this one little thing gets me. Thank you!

Edit: Tried to upload a pic of what is happening, the insane amount of hardware attached to one reactor and the temperature still going up, but the forum doesn't like any of my links...

Second Edit: After some extra research, I can see this post makes no sense. I must have something conflicting with the way systemheat interacts with all the different systems as it's not being distributed properly and/or the parts are not updated correctly. Ugh... Here goes one by one uninstall and reload....

Third Edit: The radiators that are supposed to come with the Near Future Electrical mod aren't showing up in any place that I can see. Not even in a search in parts or in the tech tree.

There are no radiators with NFE. Reactors are totally compatible with existing radiators out of the box, it won't even take a ton. They just will not be very efficient.

On 9/7/2022 at 7:44 AM, Zefnoly said:

Are watefall effects missing for Aeronautics pack?

Missing implies I ever did any. Never got around to it.

Edited by Nertea

I know this is probably not the best place to ask this, but is there an additional required mod to use the included thrusters in the Nereid Capsule? I've looked at action groups and other RClick options/RCS and I've not been able to get it to fire. If someone could give me info on usage of those thrusters (whether I should get a new mod to use them or if I am just being dumb) as well as the best place to post questions like this in the future for this mod, that would be appreciated!

42 minutes ago, Mr_yourface13 said:

I know this is probably not the best place to ask this, but is there an additional required mod to use the included thrusters in the Nereid Capsule? I've looked at action groups and other RClick options/RCS and I've not been able to get it to fire. If someone could give me info on usage of those thrusters (whether I should get a new mod to use them or if I am just being dumb) as well as the best place to post questions like this in the future for this mod, that would be appreciated

I don't generally use RCS that is integrated into capsules but from what I've seen they typically have the same modules as thrusters do.

Look in the "control" section of the capsule pop-up window (part action window, or PAW) and verify RCS is enabled.

Verify you have monopropellant on board and it is unlocked.

Click on "show actuation toggles" in PAW->control and verify that what want enabled is there.

Also, verify you have control of the vessel with regards to power, comm signal, pilot etc (long shot here).

That is just general stuff, hopefully someone more knowledgeable about that capsule will be more specific if required

1 minute ago, darthgently said:

I don't generally use RCS that is integrated into capsules but from what I've seen they typically have the same modules as thrusters do.

Look in the "control" section of the capsule pop-up window (part action window, or PAW) and verify RCS is enabled.

Verify you have monopropellant on board and it is unlocked.

Click on "show actuation toggles" in PAW->control and verify that what want enabled is there.

Also, verify you have control of the vessel with regards to power, comm signal, pilot etc (long shot here).

That is just general stuff, hopefully someone more knowledgeable about that capsule will be more specific if required

Yeah I already checked out the actuators and tried to use main throttle to do it, no luck. Ship has full control and stuff, the small RCS thrusters work when I input forwards RCS but the big side thrusters don't show up anywhere as triggerable. The Nereid is supposed to have large vertical takeoff/landing thrusters that use monoprop but there's no way to trigger them, which is my issue.

13 hours ago, Mr_yourface13 said:

The Nereid is supposed to have large vertical takeoff/landing thrusters that use monoprop but there's no way to trigger them, which is my issue.

You need to install them in VAB into the  engine pods yourself, they are not included in  the pod itself.

Hi,

I noticed that the there's a USI Reactor patch for NFElectrical, but it's missing the entry the 3.75m form factor MKS 'Tundra' Power Distribution Unit, which seems like an understandable oversight (perhaps the 3.75m form factor came out recently?)

In any case, thanks for the mod, I love all the different reactor options :)

1 hour ago, Guolin said:

Hi,

I noticed that the there's a USI Reactor patch for NFElectrical, but it's missing the entry the 3.75m form factor MKS 'Tundra' Power Distribution Unit, which seems like an understandable oversight (perhaps the 3.75m form factor came out recently?)

I think that's a very old patch. I remember trying it before the pandemic.

On 10/4/2022 at 3:49 AM, Guolin said:

Hi,

There are some newer patches for USI and the NF Suite here (Reactor Pack) and here (MKS) that have been floating around. 

(I wrote that second one)

Which makes me think - these should probably be a PR to one of these repos. This question comes up a lot.