[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

On 9.3.2018 at 5:09 AM, Smart Parts Wanter said:

Hello,

Thank you for such wonderful mods.

I was wondering if it was possible to implement an EVA feature where we can discharge the capacitors manually?

I'll have to let Nertea answer that one.

2 hours ago, viperwolf said:

Just asking, did the update break the solar panels creating elec, or do i have something else wrong? (disclaimer: Im not asking for an update, just trying to track down a problem i have with dead satellites right now.)

NF Solar did not get updated recently, and the other NF packs don't really interact with solar at all. The only thing that conceivably might is the Dynamic Battery Storage sub-plugin of NF Electrical, but that should still not touch the panels, only the batteries the panels try to put energy into.

Copy your savegame, build a spacecraft with stock parts that reliably reproduces the problem, and then remove NF Electrical. Check if the spacecraft still has the same problem. If that fixes it, please report back (with logs and reproduction steps). If it doesn't, it's likely a different mod. Kopernicus, for instance, has broken solar panels in the past.

And, just to restate the obvious here: no support for KSP 1.4.x yet! :wink:

Not until after 1.4.1 is released most likely, as it's already been announced. I think most modders will not put any real effort into this version yet because of the upcoming patch. I've not seen a single 1.4 release on spacedock yet either.

Edited by Jimbodiah

1 hour ago, Streetwind said:

I'll have to let Nertea answer that one.

NF Solar did not get updated recently, and the other NF packs don't really interact with solar at all. The only thing that conceivably might is the Dynamic Battery Storage sub-plugin of NF Electrical, but that should still not touch the panels, only the batteries the panels try to put energy into.

Copy your savegame, build a spacecraft with stock parts that reliably reproduces the problem, and then remove NF Electrical. Check if the spacecraft still has the same problem. If that fixes it, please report back (with logs and reproduction steps). If it doesn't, it's likely a different mod. Kopernicus, for instance, has broken solar panels in the past.

And, just to restate the obvious here: no support for KSP 1.4.x yet! :wink:

You are right about Kopernicus, bc even my stock panels will not charge. Thank you for the heads up, and its very understandable the modders waiting until after the DLC.

EDIT: Just to back up what you said, i removed Kopernicus and all panels are working again. thank you

Edited by viperwolf

Good news. @NecroBones just released Fuel Tanks Plus fully converted to stock mesh switching. From what I can see, (in FTP case) it is a simple boolean list of objects in each variant. I also messed around with config a bit, multiple instances of ModulePartVariant give multiple selectors for a part, and as long as variants in instances do not contradict each other, those selectors are independent.

Judging from Making History previews it is also possible to manipulate stack nodes, but I've seen no config examples as of yet.

3 hours ago, Psycho_zs said:

Good news. @NecroBones just released Fuel Tanks Plus fully converted to stock mesh switching. From what I can see, (in FTP case) it is a simple boolean list of objects in each variant. I also messed around with config a bit, multiple instances of ModulePartVariant give multiple selectors for a part, and as long as variants in instances do not contradict each other, those selectors are independent.

Judging from Making History previews it is also possible to manipulate stack nodes, but I've seen no config examples as of yet.

I cant wait for modders to take this to the next level.

12 hours ago, viperwolf said:

Sstu has been well beyond this for a while now, even having custom recoloring (rgb, specular, metallic). The tools for this are available to other modders as well in the form of TexturedUnlimited.

Edited by Jimbodiah

I'm having an issue with the Mk 4-1 Command Module from the Spacecraft pack. In version 1.4.0 the mod worked fine with no apparent issues. Now in version 1.4.1 I can't send any kerbals on EVA because it says the hatch is obstructed. I am using the command module on the same exact ship design as I had when it was working yesterday so it's not an issue with a change in ship design.

Edit: I was having other issues with other mods and the base game so I reinstalled everything fresh. I no longer have this issue.

Edited by ddavis425

On 3/12/2018 at 4:22 PM, viperwolf said:

It's limited and not hugely useful for my use cases.

10 hours ago, ddavis425 said:

Edit: I was having other issues with other mods and the base game so I reinstalled everything fresh. I no longer have this issue.

Glad you solved it, but recall - no support for 1.4.1 stuff with 1.3.1 mods.

Speaking of which...

1.4.1 Update Status Breakdown

NF Propulsion

• In the process of working on some 0.625m and radial Li tanks. Update whenever that's done ( > 2 weeks)

NF Electrical

• Testing a number of heat fixes and tunings, as well as code improvements. Update whenever I'm satisfied ( ~2 weeks)

NF Solar

• Recompile needed but otherwise no problems, update SoonTM

NF Construction

• In the middle of some major work on new and revised parts, not updating until done (> 3 weeks)

NF Spacecraft

• Seems good right now, needs a few tests, update SoonTM
  • Also needs NF Props update, not a huge problem. 

NF Launch Vehicles

• No major issues found, update SoonTM

Just for the sake of my own personal curiosity, I tried switching over the Near Future Spacecraft 3.75m orbital engine to Stock's mesh-switchy thing. I discovered that having two instances of the part switcher module in a part works fine, but I wonder if it's possible to add or remove resources with the Squad system... I searched the forums, and apparently Squad has provided precisely zero examples of the full range of possibilities for the switcher (except what I can glean from the handful of part configs in 1.4.1 and MH).

This successfully allowed switching the tanks on/off separately from the mounting hardware:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModulePartVariants
		baseVariant = 375mStructure
		VARIANT
		{
			name = 375mStructure
			displayName = #LOC_NFSpacecraft_orbital-engine_switcher_mount_variant3
			primaryColor = #ffffff
			secondaryColor = #000000
			GAMEOBJECTS
			{
				ColliderA = true
				375mStructure = true

ColliderA_Alt = false
				25mStructure = false

Shroud = false
			}
		}

VARIANT
		{
			name = 25mStructure
			displayName = #LOC_NFSpacecraft_orbital-engine_switcher_mount_variant2
			primaryColor = #ffffff
			secondaryColor = #000000
			GAMEOBJECTS
			{
				ColliderA = false
				375mStructure = false

ColliderA_Alt = true
				25mStructure = true

Shroud = false
			}
		}
		VARIANT
		{
			name = Shroud
			displayName = #LOC_NFSpacecraft_orbital-engine_switcher_mount_variant4
			primaryColor = #ffffff
			secondaryColor = #000000
			GAMEOBJECTS
			{
				375mStructure = false

ColliderA_Alt = false
				25mStructure = false

ColliderA = true
				Shroud = true
			}
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModulePartVariants
		baseVariant = noTanks
		VARIANT
		{
			name = noTanks
			displayName = #LOC_NFSpacecraft_orbital-engine_switcher_tanks_variant1
			primaryColor = #ffffff
			secondaryColor = #000000
			GAMEOBJECTS
			{
				Tanks = false
			}
		}
		VARIANT
		{
			name = yesTanks
			displayName = #LOC_NFSpacecraft_orbital-engine_switcher_tanks_variant2
			primaryColor = #ffffff
			secondaryColor = #000000
			GAMEOBJECTS
			{
				Tanks = true
			}
		}
	}

Anyway, just throwing it out there in case it's useful.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

hello friends!

I seem to have some kind of issue with Near Future Launch Vehicles. For some reason, the engine mounts (NR-M4 and NR-M6) are not showing up in the in-game parts list.

Everything else seems to be there, the huge NF and EA tanks, engines, Mondo docking port... just not the engine mounts. 

I checked the mod files and I see that they are supposed to be in the Structural category... but they're just not there in the game. I also tried searching for their name directly in the parts list - nothing found.

Does anyone have an idea of what I might be doing wrong?

I'm playing Career with KSP 1.3.1, with NFLV, CryoEngines, and CTT.  The CTT engine placement seems odd.  The Chelyabinsk and Tunguska, successive sizes of vacuum engine,  are both in Heavier Rocketry(160).  I seem to remember the Chelyabinsk being in Heavy Rocketry(90) in the past.  The Volcano and Odin, 2 sizes of sustainers, are both in Very Heavy Rocketry(550).  Why are different sizes of engine in the same node?  Unless this is a bug?

8 hours ago, lordcirth said:

I'm playing Career with KSP 1.3.1, with NFLV, CryoEngines, and CTT.  The CTT engine placement seems odd.  The Chelyabinsk and Tunguska, successive sizes of vacuum engine,  are both in Heavier Rocketry(160).  I seem to remember the Chelyabinsk being in Heavy Rocketry(90) in the past.  The Volcano and Odin, 2 sizes of sustainers, are both in Very Heavy Rocketry(550).  Why are different sizes of engine in the same node?  Unless this is a bug?

That's probably a post for this thread:

On 3/14/2018 at 6:50 PM, Nertea said:

It's limited and not hugely useful for my use cases.

Glad you solved it, but recall - no support for 1.4.1 stuff with 1.3.1 mods.

Speaking of which...

1.4.1 Update Status Breakdown

NF Propulsion

• In the process of working on some 0.625m and radial Li tanks. Update whenever that's done ( > 2 weeks)

NF Electrical

• Testing a number of heat fixes and tunings, as well as code improvements. Update whenever I'm satisfied ( ~2 weeks)

NF Solar

• Recompile needed but otherwise no problems, update SoonTM

NF Construction

• In the middle of some major work on new and revised parts, not updating until done (> 3 weeks)

NF Spacecraft

• Seems good right now, needs a few tests, update SoonTM
  • Also needs NF Props update, not a huge problem. 

NF Launch Vehicles

• No major issues found, update SoonTM

Thanks for your work and great parts. I guess NF Solar, and that part where RCS Thrusters are so critical, with 1.4.1 we all left w/o good RCS's for the late game.

4 hours ago, Nertea said:

Sorry work's been crazy and I haven't had any time at all to work on these. 

No apologies required.  Releases come when they come.  I'm just thankful you create all this wonderful stuff to completely overwhelm me during rocket building.:confused: