[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

Hey Nertea, just a quick question: You got the NCR-N Nose Cargo Bay, which I like very much. Would it be possible for you to include a flat variant? That would be really useful for designing cargo pods that are not meant for athmospheric reentry. Or is there already a mod that adds that kind of door, so that you can close of a cargo bay and open it from the front?

On 4/22/2018 at 6:37 PM, Penkover said:

I saw a bug with near future Launch vehicles (my favorite) mod. It seems that EX-M9 configurable cluster mount doesnt show his shroud when he is launched, while its OK in the VAB/SPH.

I've run into the same thing. Seems none of the shrouds are showing up in flight (they are present in the VAB).
Album a6Z8bJM will appear when post is submitted
Edited by istathar
Fix link to image?

Not sure if this is a known issue...

I noticed the NF Propulsion RCS units have a high ISP, but the fuel consumption is basically the same as the stock MP rcs units:

RCS:   isp of 200, uses 0.098 units/sec
NF:  isp of 2000, uses 0.095 units/sec (+ Ec).

I have the same issue if I raise the ISP of rthe stock part to 2000, then fuel consumption also goes to 0.095 and doesn't really use any less fuel. This seems to be a KSP thing where maybe for RCS they don't use ISP correctly?

Edited by Jimbodiah

Back in the day, the Mk3-9 capsule was given the optional ability to be used as a probe. Then KSP implemented their comnet system and there were problems with the Mk3-9 being treated as a probe even when it had pilots in it.

I got the impression that had been fixed or something, but in 1.4.2 I ended up with big problems when my crewed Mk3-9 refused to answer commands because I had no signal.

What's the fix for this?

50 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

What's the fix for this?

This is the config setup for a stock command pod:

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleCommand
	minimumCrew = 1
}

This is the config setup for a stock probe core:

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleCommand
	minimumCrew = 0
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		rate = 0.05
	}
}

This is the config setup for the Mk3-9 pod:

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleCommand
	minimumCrew = 0
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		rate = 0.05
	}
}

As you can see, the Mk3-9 pod is set up identical to a probe core. Also, it differs in exactly two ways from a stock command pod: one, it has minimumCrew = 0; two, it has that RESOURCE subnode that makes it consume Ec/s.

I do not know what KSP's CommNet feature uses to determine whether something is a manned pod or not. But since the above is literally all of the config code that governs whether or not a part is a command part, it must be one of those two differences (or even both).

I encourage you to try and make changes, and see what the result is.

Edited by Streetwind

4 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

It's either a probe or manned, you can't have it both ways (probe when no crew, but manned when crew present). Just use mechjeb smartsas, it works without comnets ;)

I was using Mechjeb, and it wasn't working. Possibly this was due to the switch to 1.4.3.

Hey folks, I am trying to use Near Future Technologies with Planetary bases and Modular Kolonization Systems. I am having issues with nuclear fuel and waste transfers. MKS system of maintenance does not refill the MKS parts as it should, and the transfer buttons do not work: when I click on the button it says to click on  part to transfer to but when I do so, nothing at all happens. I've tried every conceivable combination of parts from mall three mods, and nothing can transfer fuel or waste. Not between nuclear fuel or waste containers, not between shut down reactors and containers, not between processors and containers, processors and reactors, nothing. My nuclear reactors are all running out of fuel. Any ideas?

18 hours ago, loverevolutionary said:

My nuclear reactors are all running out of fuel. Any ideas?

I vaguely recall localization screwing with the fuel transfer plugin in 1.3.x. Are you running in native English, or do you have a different language selected?

I have a question, I am trying to make my own engine with variable ISP for private use of course but can't figure out how to get it working for some reason. The engine I am "making" has no multi modes so I'm not sure how to start. Could you show me an example of a patch to get it working on a single mode engine please? Something like this: 

Spoiler

@PART[ExampleEngine]:NEEDS[NearFuturePropulsion]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = VariableISPEngine
        EnergyUsage = 1999.9
        UseDirectThrottle = false
        CurThrustSetting = 50

VARIABLEISPMODE
        {
            name = #LOC_NFPropulsion_Multimode_Argon_Short
            throttleAnimation = VASIMR-25-ThrottleArA
            throttleAnimationLayer = 1
            IspThrustCurve
            {
                key = 3500 134.60
                key = 6000 73.50
                key = 8500 42.50
            }
        }    
    }
}

I'm still on 1.3 but I think its the same thing. 

On 4/29/2018 at 9:17 AM, loverevolutionary said:

Hey folks, I am trying to use Near Future Technologies with Planetary bases and Modular Kolonization Systems. I am having issues with nuclear fuel and waste transfers. MKS system of maintenance does not refill the MKS parts as it should, and the transfer buttons do not work: when I click on the button it says to click on  part to transfer to but when I do so, nothing at all happens. I've tried every conceivable combination of parts from mall three mods, and nothing can transfer fuel or waste. Not between nuclear fuel or waste containers, not between shut down reactors and containers, not between processors and containers, processors and reactors, nothing. My nuclear reactors are all running out of fuel. Any ideas?

There's a bug, fixed in dev but I haven't had time to test and release in 1.4.3 .

2 hours ago, dave1904 said:

I have a question, I am trying to make my own engine with variable ISP for private use of course but can't figure out how to get it working for some reason. The engine I am "making" has no multi modes so I'm not sure how to start. Could you show me an example of a patch to get it working on a single mode engine please? Something like this: 

Can't tell much without seeing the actual engine module. Make sure it's ModuleEnginesFX, not ModuleEngines, and make sure the mode ID is the same as the name of the VARIABLEISPMODE node

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

Can't tell much without seeing the actual engine module. Make sure it's ModuleEnginesFX, not ModuleEngines, and make sure the mode ID is the same as the name of the VARIABLEISPMODE node

I'll be updating to 1.4.3 from 1.3 as soon as all the mods I use are updated. I also forgot to say how good your mods are and I can't really understand how the hell you make so many top quality parts. Thank you for that. 

Ok I swapped the ModuleEngines to ModuleEnginesFX but its the mode ID I don't get. Do it need an ID if it doesn't have multimode? Here is the engine, its the vista from ksp interstellar but I would only like this engine and not the rest. The engine works great so far but I really would love variable isp :) 

Edit: I don't use LqdHydrogen in my game and have added a resource LH2 because I prefer it in drawgauge incase you're wondering. 

Spoiler

PART
{
name = VISTAEngine2
module = Part
author = Zzz

mesh = model.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.47383, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.671957, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 3

//fx_exhaustFlame_blue_small = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_exhaustFlame_blue = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_exhaustLight_blue = 0.0, 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, running

sound_vent_medium = engage
sound_rocket_hard = running
sound_vent_soft = disengage
sound_explosion_low = flameout

TechRequired = fusionRockets
entryCost = 2500000
cost = 1250000
category = Engine
subcategory = 0
title = Vista Fusion Engine
manufacturer = Kerbal Ignition Facility Junkyard Co.
description = The Vista propulsion system is an engine that utilises laser induced interial fusion for propulsion.  Pellets of Deuterium and Tritium are compressed to ultra-high densities using a high power laser.  By default it will use maximum power (up to 2 GW for D-T ) but this can be changed in the settings. The crew onboard are shielded by the engine from the intense neutron flux of the fusion reaction but because the reaction occurs outside the ship, other nearby vessels aren't so protected - Beware!

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,0,1,0,0

mass = 2.5
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 12
breakingForce = 1500
breakingTorque = 1500
maxTemp = 3200
heatConductivity = 0.01
emissiveConstant = 0.95

DRAG_CUBE
{
    cube = Fairing, 6.62,0.7777,1.916, 6.62,0.7765,2.172, 11.32,0.9724,0.1658, 11.72,0.7357,1.605, 6.586,0.7747,2.033, 6.586,0.7752,1.969, 0.01087,-0.1446,0, 3.872,1.722,3.883
    cube = Clean, 4.298,0.5887,3.015, 4.298,0.589,2.889, 11.32,0.9724,0.1644, 11.32,0.721,1.607, 4.262,0.5827,2.897, 4.262,0.5976,2.991, 0.01068,-0.1367,-4.525E-08, 3.804,1.706,3.814
}

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleEnginesFX
        engineID = LH2Mode
        thrustVectorTransformName = T_T
        exhaustDamage = True
        ignitionThreshold = 0.1
        minThrust = 0
        maxThrust = 500
        heatProduction = 1500
        maxTemp = 2700
        fxOffset = 0, 0, 0
        PROPELLANT
        {
            name = LH2
            ratio = 1.38337941 // 1.44
            DrawGauge = True
        }
        PROPELLANT
        {
            name = LqdDeuterium
            ratio = 1.38337941e-3
            DrawGauge = False
        }
        PROPELLANT
        {
            name = LqdTritium
            ratio = 1.38337941e-3
            DrawGauge = False
        }
        PROPELLANT
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            ratio = 3
            DrawGauge = True
            minResToLeave = 1.0
        }
        atmosphereCurve
         {
                key = 0 15500
            key = 1 9000
            key = 2 6000
          }
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleGimbal
        gimbalTransformName = T_T
        gimbalRange = 1
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = FXModuleAnimateThrottle
          animationName = e22
        dependOnEngineState = True
        responseSpeed = 0.5
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleJettison
        jettisonName = fairing
        bottomNodeName = bottom
        isFairing = True
        jettisonedObjectMass = 0.1
        jettisonForce = 5
        jettisonDirection = 0 0 1
    }

RESOURCE
    {
    name = LqdDeuterium
    amount = 160
    maxAmount = 160
    }

RESOURCE
    {
    name =    LqdTritium
    amount = 160
    maxAmount =    160
    }
}

Edited by dave1904

1 hour ago, dave1904 said:

I'll be updating to 1.4.3 from 1.3 as soon as all the mods I use are updated. I also forgot to say how good your mods are and I can't really understand how the hell you make so many top quality parts. Thank you for that. 

Ok I swapped the ModuleEngines to ModuleEnginesFX but its the mode ID I don't get. Do it need an ID if it doesn't have multimode? Here is the engine, its the vista from ksp interstellar but I would only like this engine and not the rest. The engine works great so far but I really would love variable isp :) 

Edit: I don't use LqdHydrogen in my game and have added a resource LH2 because I prefer it in drawgauge incase you're wondering. 

Reveal hidden contents

PART
{
name = VISTAEngine2
module = Part
author = Zzz

mesh = model.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.47383, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.671957, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 3

//fx_exhaustFlame_blue_small = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_exhaustFlame_blue = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_exhaustLight_blue = 0.0, 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, running

sound_vent_medium = engage
sound_rocket_hard = running
sound_vent_soft = disengage
sound_explosion_low = flameout

TechRequired = fusionRockets
entryCost = 2500000
cost = 1250000
category = Engine
subcategory = 0
title = Vista Fusion Engine
manufacturer = Kerbal Ignition Facility Junkyard Co.
description = The Vista propulsion system is an engine that utilises laser induced interial fusion for propulsion.  Pellets of Deuterium and Tritium are compressed to ultra-high densities using a high power laser.  By default it will use maximum power (up to 2 GW for D-T ) but this can be changed in the settings. The crew onboard are shielded by the engine from the intense neutron flux of the fusion reaction but because the reaction occurs outside the ship, other nearby vessels aren't so protected - Beware!

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,0,1,0,0

mass = 2.5
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 12
breakingForce = 1500
breakingTorque = 1500
maxTemp = 3200
heatConductivity = 0.01
emissiveConstant = 0.95

DRAG_CUBE
{
    cube = Fairing, 6.62,0.7777,1.916, 6.62,0.7765,2.172, 11.32,0.9724,0.1658, 11.72,0.7357,1.605, 6.586,0.7747,2.033, 6.586,0.7752,1.969, 0.01087,-0.1446,0, 3.872,1.722,3.883
    cube = Clean, 4.298,0.5887,3.015, 4.298,0.589,2.889, 11.32,0.9724,0.1644, 11.32,0.721,1.607, 4.262,0.5827,2.897, 4.262,0.5976,2.991, 0.01068,-0.1367,-4.525E-08, 3.804,1.706,3.814
}

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleEnginesFX
        engineID = LH2Mode
        thrustVectorTransformName = T_T
        exhaustDamage = True
        ignitionThreshold = 0.1
        minThrust = 0
        maxThrust = 500
        heatProduction = 1500
        maxTemp = 2700
        fxOffset = 0, 0, 0
        PROPELLANT
        {
            name = LH2
            ratio = 1.38337941 // 1.44
            DrawGauge = True
        }
        PROPELLANT
        {
            name = LqdDeuterium
            ratio = 1.38337941e-3
            DrawGauge = False
        }
        PROPELLANT
        {
            name = LqdTritium
            ratio = 1.38337941e-3
            DrawGauge = False
        }
        PROPELLANT
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            ratio = 3
            DrawGauge = True
            minResToLeave = 1.0
        }
        atmosphereCurve
         {
                key = 0 15500
            key = 1 9000
            key = 2 6000
          }
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleGimbal
        gimbalTransformName = T_T
        gimbalRange = 1
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = FXModuleAnimateThrottle
          animationName = e22
        dependOnEngineState = True
        responseSpeed = 0.5
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleJettison
        jettisonName = fairing
        bottomNodeName = bottom
        isFairing = True
        jettisonedObjectMass = 0.1
        jettisonForce = 5
        jettisonDirection = 0 0 1
    }

RESOURCE
    {
    name = LqdDeuterium
    amount = 160
    maxAmount = 160
    }

RESOURCE
    {
    name =    LqdTritium
    amount = 160
    maxAmount =    160
    }
}

You need an ID because the VariableIspEngine module looks for engines by their ID.

Edit- after looking into this I don't think it'll work without a multimode engine.

Edited by Nertea

12 hours ago, Nertea said:

You need an ID because the VariableIspEngine module looks for engines by their ID.

Edit- after looking into this I don't think it'll work without a multimode engine.

Yeah cheers for the help man. I even tryed making a multi mode engine but I can't seem to figure it out. I do have one last question about the engine ID of the vasmir.

Its like this as you know

name = ModuleEnginesFX
        engineID = ArgonMode

but in the VariableIspEngine the name is just Argon instead of ArgonMode right? 

name = #LOC_NFPropulsion_Multimode_Xenon_Short    This is just Argon?
            throttleAnimation = VASIMR-25-ThrottleXeA                       Is this line required? 
            throttleAnimationLayer = 2                                                      Is this line required? 
            IspThrustCurve
            {
                key = 2000 279.00
                key = 4000 124.45
                key = 6000 66.80
            }

I don't get the name part in this case. Do I need to name my primary engineID *****Mode?

Edited by dave1904

Most packs have been updated to 1.4.3. NFLV will follow in time.

NF Propulsion 1.0.1

•  KSP 1.4.3
  •  Updated B9PartSwitch to 2.3.0
  •  Switched versioning to mix/max specification
  •  Additions/fixes to Russian translation

NF Electrical 0.10.1

•  KSP 1.4.3
  •  Updated B9PartSwitch to 2.3.0
  •  Fixed a bug with fuel transfer that caused it to basically never work

NF Solar 0.8.11

•  KSP 1.4.3

NF Construction 1.0.2

• KSP 1.4.3
  • Updated B9PartSwtich to 2.3.0
  •  Fixed lower stack node of S-MINI Adapter being too low
  • Fixed lower stack node of Annular Truss Docking Connector being too low
  • Revised exact positions of nodes on Spinal Truss pieces
  • Fixed slight offset on Pressurized Octo-Truss Mini
  • Fixed tiny misalignment on truss mesh of some Octo-truss variants
  • Fixed lower node height on octo-truss octo-port
  • Fixed tiny misalignment on hollow truss mesh of some Hex trusses
  •  Fixed old window texture emissive for pressurized parts being included instead of new one
  • Fixed misalignment of meshes on angled octo-connector models
  •  Fixed misaligned mesh on replaced Rockomax Micronode
  • Fixed localization error with Planar micro trusses

NF Spacecraft 0.7.9

•  KSP 1.4.3
  •  Updated B9Partswitch to 2.3.0
  •  Updated NF Props to 0.3.3
  •  Disabled drag cube recalculation for B9PS-using engines to work around stock issue
On 5/1/2018 at 6:15 AM, dave1904 said:

Yeah cheers for the help man. I even tryed making a multi mode engine but I can't seem to figure it out. I do have one last question about the engine ID of the vasmir.

Its like this as you know

name = ModuleEnginesFX
        engineID = ArgonMode

but in the VariableIspEngine the name is just Argon instead of ArgonMode right? 

name = #LOC_NFPropulsion_Multimode_Xenon_Short    This is just Argon?
            throttleAnimation = VASIMR-25-ThrottleXeA                       Is this line required? 
            throttleAnimationLayer = 2                                                      Is this line required? 
            IspThrustCurve
            {
                key = 2000 279.00
                key = 4000 124.45
                key = 6000 66.80
            }

I don't get the name part in this case. Do I need to name my primary engineID *****Mode?

name = the EngineID of whatever engine you want to modify. In this case it's Argon but due to a bug in KSP, the localized version of the engine that shows up ingame is also the in-code version. It doesn't affect KSP, it does affect KER

55 minutes ago, Errol said:

What does Dynamic Battery Storage do? Does it conflict with RealBattery?

DBS is a workaround for problems with stock's resource consumption management at high time warp. I'm pretty sure I worked with @Blackline on support for RB in DBS so it should be cool.