Loading satellites into space planes

I'm trying to set up a comms network by throwing up some satellite in low Kerbin orbit.  I've watched a couple of tutorials and built myself an SSTO with a cargo bay.  I then built a satellite small enough to fit in the cargo bay, but I'm having no luck at all trying to get the satellite loaded into the bay.  How is it done?  I loaded up the SSTO then load/merged my satellite in there but I can't get it to attach to the rear or front of the cargo bay.  I've tried couplers on the satellite and on the cargo bay but no luck.  I tried using docking ports instead of a coupler but that too did not work at all.

What am I missing?  I'm guessing it's something simple that I've not picked up on in the tutorials.  How do you guys load and mount satellites in cargo bays?

Without further information my assumption it's that your satellite lacks a usable attachment node,  if that is the case use the reroot tool to change the root part of the satellite accordingly. 

Otherwise,  please try to provide some images.  It may help us to visualize your problem. 

Generally what I do when merging craft for something like this is to simply re-root the module that you are trying to attach in.  In the VAB and SPH, you have a three button toolbar at the top left of the screen, but to the right of the parts menu.  It has Rotate, Place, Translate, etc.  On the far right of that bar, is the re-root tool, which allows you to change the root part of a craft.  Clicking on that, then clicking once anywhere on your merged craft, followed by clicking on the part you will use to attach, you will be able to use on the now root part to attach it to the inside bay of your spaceplane. 

Thanks for the replies guys.  I'm back home now so I'm going to go try this out immediately.  My satellite core is actually in the middle of the satellite build so I am not attaching the root part but rather a fuel tank.  I'll let you know if it works.

3 hours ago, axeman3d said:

Thanks for the replies guys.  I'm back home now so I'm going to go try this out immediately.  My satellite core is actually in the middle of the satellite build so I am not attaching the root part but rather a fuel tank.  I'll let you know if it works.

Yeah, that would do it. Subassembly and merged parts can only connect by the root. Since your probe core (obviously) doesn't have any nodes open, you're outta luck. Re-root to an endpiece. A decoupler or jr docking port are my pieces of choice. It doesn't matter much though, since you can edit to your heart's content once it's properly attached.

redundant post is redundant, I just wanted to add the bit about being able to edit it all after attaching, so the specifics don't matter as much

Edited by Jarin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.