[1.3+] Stockalike Station Parts Expansion [retired]

Nertea

50 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Ok, I'll provide that eventually. Mostly things are just multiples of hitchiker lengths, so that's fairly simple. Eg. all the short parts are 1x hitchiker, all the long are 2x hitchiker, with some exceptions

Sounds perfect. The easier it is on everyone, the better. As @TheRagingIrishman mentioned, close enough is good enough in this case, especially when dealing with any weird shapes, such as extendable parts.

Oh, and also a huge thanks for agreeing to offer this info. I really appreciate it.

Edited by Merkov
Where are my manners?

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

Ok, I'll provide that eventually. Mostly things are just multiples of hitchiker lengths, so that's fairly simple. Eg. all the short parts are 1x hitchiker, all the long are 2x hitchiker, with some exceptions

So important note: This version of SSPX will actually be a completely different project/path. This is to be nice to people who want to upgrade, as literally nothing will survive unchanged. This means that SSPX is only being maintained up 1.3.1 now. You can follow its development in the new git project I created.

In addition, I have finalized the 2.5m parts list. This is fairly ambitious.

• [Rev.] PPD-A2 Pressurized Crew Tube
  • [Rev.] PPD-A4 Pressurized Crew Tube
  • [Rev.] EVAC-U-8 Service Airlock
  • [Rev.] Pressurized CZ-15 Radial Attachment Module
  • [New] PPD-8 'Wharf' Station Core: replaces old station core
  • [Rev.] PPD-24 Observation Module
  • [Rev.] PPD-20 Shanty Habitation Module
  • [New] PPD-F412M Hydroponics Module: Hydroponics lab
  • [New] PPD-TRUSS-L Storage Module Orbital-looking cargo bay
  • [New] PPD-TRUSS-S Storage Module Orbital-looking cargo bay - shorter!
  • [New] PFD-A Inflatable Habitation Module: BA-330-alike
  • [New] PFD-B Inflatable Habitation Module:  Half BA-330
  • [Rev.] PPD-HEX Multi-Point Station Connector
  • [New] PPD-175 Extensible Centrifuge Module: Rigid extending centrifuge (2 arms)
  • [New] PPD-225 Extensible Centrifuge Module: Rigid extending centrifuge (3 arms)
  • [New] PFD-C Inflatable Centrifuge Module: Large (15m) centrifuge
  • [Rev.] PPD-PTD Adapter
  • [Rev.] PPD-Series Flat Adapter

This sounds awesome! And thanks for having it as a new-ish mod so that our massive stations won't break, although probably end up restarting anyways haha.

>mfw seeing all these parts :cool:

Well, these will be appreciated! Also, would you consider improving on the 3.75m parts? i.e a cupola similar to the stock one in that there's only a glass top

Edited by Saltshaker

So, some model work:

Telescopic Clamp-O-Tron Docking Module and PTD-C Compact Adapter

iTEdWf0.png

5wKSVOK.png

15 hours ago, Saltshaker said:

Well, these will be appreciated! Also, would you consider improving on the 3.75m parts? i.e a cupola similar to the stock one in that there's only a glass top

I don't see the point of making something that's just the same but bigger. 

Yes!
Hell yes!
Hell F***ing Yes!

A humble request: short crew tubes without windows or pipes. Something between current 1x tubes and radial attachment points, or 1/2 of current 1x tubes. It would serve two purposes: a good base for radially sticking docking ports or other parts (hex+ symmetry), and sometimes you need to extend a stack just a little bit less/more than current 1x tube allows.

So, not to be pushy or anything, but do you have the list of 3.75m parts for the new mod? Because, honestly, just reading the previous two lists was like going through the Sears Wish List catalog before Christmas when I was 8.

4 hours ago, Psycho_zs said:

Yes!
Hell yes!
Hell F***ing Yes!

A humble request: short crew tubes without windows or pipes. Something between current 1x tubes and radial attachment points, or 1/2 of current 1x tubes. It would serve two purposes: a good base for radially sticking docking ports or other parts (hex+ symmetry), and sometimes you need to extend a stack just a little bit less/more than current 1x tube allows.

Mmm, texture space on the 1.25m sheets is already used up unfortunately...

41 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

So, not to be pushy or anything, but do you have the list of 3.75m parts for the new mod? Because, honestly, just reading the previous two lists was like going through the Sears Wish List catalog before Christmas when I was 8.

This list doesn't include all of what I want to make. It however does include all that I want to commit to, because without these parts, I specced 33 1.25 and 2.5m parts already. That's idiotically ambitious. 

• [New] PXL-1 'Hostel' Deep-Space Habitation Module: Might as well be new, different dimensions and art
  • [New] PXL-2 'Shelter' Deep-Space Habitation Module: Half-sized Hostel
  • [New] PXL-3 'Asylum' Storm Cellar Module: Windowless Shelter
  • [Rev.] PXL-9 Extra-Planetary Octo-Aperture Module: Observation module
  • [New] PXL-2 'Fate' Deep-Space Laboratory Module: Lab of the large variety
  • [New] R4NCH-3R Hydroponics Module: Greenhouse
  • [New] PXL-10 'Harbour' Station Control Centre: station core
  • [New] PXL-E 'Mercury' Extensible Centrifuge: Three guesses as to what this is... 
Edited by Nertea

1 hour ago, Raptor9 said:

Curious....for the errant Laythe dust devil? :P

Solar storm shelter. You don't shield the entire ship against the maximum radiation levels from a solar flare, just the shelter. Then when you see the flare coming the crew retreats to the shelter for the duration.

16 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Solar storm shelter. You don't shield the entire ship against the maximum radiation levels from a solar flare, just the shelter. Then when you see the flare coming the crew retreats to the shelter for the duration.

I get that, I was sort of jabbing Nertea in the ribs. :D

Another idea: make crew tubes surface attach perpendicularly, same as pressurized attachment points. (and with passableWhenSurfaceAttached=true).

It will reduce part count and simplify creation of docking hubs. I am unable to remember any occasion of wanting to surface attach a crew tube in parallel.

7 hours ago, Psycho_zs said:

Another idea: make crew tubes surface attach perpendicularly, same as pressurized attachment points. (and with passableWhenSurfaceAttached=true).

What do people think of this? It's done this way by convention (practically all KSP cylindrical parts attach like that) but I am open to changing it.

Just now, Nertea said:

What do people think of this? It's done this way by convention (practically all KSP cylindrical parts attach like that) but I am open to changing it.

Personally, I'd prefer if they were following stock conventions. If I ever need to attach something in a wild way, I can always use Editor Extensions Redux to make this happen. Normally, when modded parts try to break the mold with attachment rules, they usually become buggy and clunky to use. Not that would ever be a problem with your parts, but a few examples from other mod comes to mind.

57 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I have used crew tubes both ways, along the side of a craft to emulate passageways to separate crewed areas, or using a radial attachment point to get a firm connection perpendicularly as standoffs for engine nacelle style pieces.

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

I've always used radial attachment points when I needed to, I never found that to be particularly onerous. But I'm fine with it either way.

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

Well, it could be a feature of crew tubes, that sets them apart from structural fuselages:  you can stick it in like a straw.

3 hours ago, Nertea said:

I like to build high part count stations, but I'm on a mid-level laptop, so anything that cuts down part counts is awesome sauce. Plus, if you did this, I think it would be a huge plus for aesthetics...especially since youre going over the top with the textures, not having to "jerry-rig" in stock or mismatching parts that will make things look wonky...
but then i KNOW how much effort and work is involved... I know if you DO it, it will definately be appreciated by many... :wink:

Edited by Stone Blue

I remember now why I did this originally.

It was CLS reasons. It seemed too easy that all crew tubes would be able to surface-attach via CLS into whatever. So the tubes were non-cls-passable, except the attach points.

On 17/08/2017 at 7:06 PM, Nertea said:

Kerbal Planetary Base Systems' tubes have a nice approach, where the nodes on the sides of the parent cylinder have a shroud that appears when you attach the child part's node, so that you get the seamless curved-to-flat join without an additional hub / adapter part. The current generation of MKS parts' hubs have this too.

39 minutes ago, CSE said:

Kerbal Planetary Base Systems' tubes have a nice approach, where the nodes on the sides of the parent cylinder have a shroud that appears when you attach the child part's node, so that you get the seamless curved-to-flat join without an additional hub / adapter part. The current generation of MKS parts' hubs have this too.

I don't believe that's an issue in this case because there aren't any side nodes on these parts.

On 8/16/2017 at 7:36 PM, TheSaint said:

Kerbalism?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.