[1.8.x] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.6.0 (Feb 5 2020)

blowfish

These mods are amazing! Since I'm "meh" at aircraft, I especially enjoy the HX series of parts. However, I do have a small gripe. Since I am a fan of inefficiency, I like to perform atmospheric reentry with said HX parts. It would be much appreciated if there was a massive parachute I could slap on there that would fix everything. If such a miracle does indeed exist, could someone be so kind as to direct me in its general direction?

Real chutes is one option. It can be configured in much more ways than stock chutes. Size of chute, number of chutes used, material of chutes etc.
I'm not sure if it would be sufficient for HX parts.

Other option is to use tweakscale and rescale chutes. You might need to write personal MM patch for tweakscale chutes, I no longer recall if there is available MM tweakscale patch for chutes or not.

Edited by kcs123

So I've mentioned this over at the Modular Fuel Tanks thread but there seems to be an issue with MFT and at the very least the MT1 and MT4 rcs fuel tanks from this mod, 

The Issue is that when you place the RCS tanks and launch the craft the RCS tank freezes in mid air and the rest of the craft rotates around the center of that tank, 

It seems to be linked with the "tank type" and when you place the tank in the editor it can't find the appropriate tank type, if you click the arrow it will move to "b9 service module" and the freezing in position at launch does not happen and works as intended, but is extremely frustrating when you just want to add a RCS tank to the side of a spaceplane. 

If you want me to post a log i'll figure out how to do that, but its a 100 percent of the time bug with just b9 and MTF and super easy to replicate.

Ah, I think I see the problem.  The configs have RCSHighEfficiency as the default tank type, but that does not exist in MFT or RF.

Should have a new release within the next few days, whenver I have time to fix this issue and then package it up.

45 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Ah, I think I see the problem.  The configs have RCSHighEfficiency as the default tank type, but that does not exist in MFT or RF.

Should have a new release within the next few days, whenver I have time to fix this issue and then package it up.

I don't know how long it would have toke me to discover that for myself (a lot longer then it toke you thats for sure) but as my quick fix until your next release i just changed the default tank and the available tank type to RCS which is a defined tank type in MFT,

Slowly I'm learning bits and pieces of this coding thing and this helped a bit so it's not entirely bad :)

B9 Aerospace v6.3.0 for KSP 1.2.2 is now available!

• Convert all switchers on legacy tanks to B9PartSwitch.  This may be slightly craft breaking in some scenarios (contact for help)
  • Combine legacy Mk2 adapters into one part.  This may prevent some craft from loading (contact for help)
  • Split up switchers on all HL parts to simplify using them.  This may be slightly craft breaking in some scenarios (contact for help)
  • Fix fuel flow issues on certain engines
  • Fix MFT/RF patches for RCS tanks (they were broken previously)
  • Bring back landing gear using KSPWheel.  They will only show if you install KSPWheel separately.
    • Parameters are still WIP and many effects do not work
  • Fix Mk2b probe core not having control
  • Allow B9 tanks to hold LH2 if you have CryoTanks installed
  • Allow SABRE to use LH2 if you have CryoTanks installed and create B9_SABRE_Cryo folder in GameData (opt in)

A few notes on the above:

If you encounter any of the craft breaking issues above, feel free to contact me and I will help you update your craft and/or save files.

The wheels are back in the legacy pack, but you must install KSPWheel separately (it is not bundled).  The wheel implementation is still WIP and many of the old sound effects don't work yet.  KSPWheel can now be installed via CKAN.

You can now put LH2 or LH2+Oxidizer in B9 tanks if you have Nertea's CryoTanks mod installed (comes with Kerbal Atomics, Cryo Engines).  Mass ratios etc should match CryoTanks pretty well, but still possibly subject to change.  Also, they are the non actively cooled type, so you will get a bit of boiloff (shouldn't be a concern for shortish missions though).

Also if you have CryoTanks, you can optionally convert the SABRE to run on LH2.  Simply create an empty folder called B9_SABRE_Cryo in GameData.

Also really huge shout-out to @Shadowmage for developing KSPWheel,and keeping Adjustable Landing Gear alive as part of Kerbal Foundaries Continued.  I witnessed parts of the development process and I know it was long and sometimes frustrating.  But all your hard work has paid off and the end result is well worth it.

1 hour ago, blowfish said:

Also really huge shout-out to @Shadowmage for developing KSPWheel,and keeping Adjustable Landing Gear alive as part of Kerbal Foundaries Continued.  I witnessed parts of the development process and I know it was long and sometimes frustrating.  But all your hard work has paid off and the end result is well worth it.

Took the words out of my mouth here mate. :D And when KSPWheel reaches real stability the landing gear can be moved to the main pack again. That will be a great thing!

Edited by Flashblade

3 hours ago, Flashblade said:

And when KSPWheel reaches real stability the landing gear can be moved to the main pack again. That will be a great thing!

I'm afraid that it will last only so long until SQUAD reinvent wheels again.

@blowfish thank you very much sir for updating. Have a lot of fun with this mod. Had a question about the wheels. I have KSP Wheel installed and I see B9 wheels as well. So the question is, are the wheels supposed to have the strut and wheel angle/tilt options or is that part still not developed for the B9 wheels as they are for KSP Wheels and KF. 

7 hours ago, blowfish said:

:) Indeed.  Never thought I would need that much geometry, trig, and calculus knowledge.  Was (and still is) a learning process.

Glad it is working out for you.  I don't anticipate any breaking changes in the near future in regards to the standard wheel modules, so hopefully the API should be stable for you.

2 hours ago, Flashblade said:

I think I would need @Shadowmage to weigh in on this but isn't KSPWheel autonomous from the stock wheel system or if it isn't couldn't it be made autonomous?

That is indeed the case.  KSPWheel uses zero stock (or Unity) wheel code, and is completely custom.  Squad can bugger up the stock gear all they want, it won't effect KSPWheel in the slightest.  Unity updates might be a different story as I do lean on the engine for quite a bit of the functionality, but it is all pretty basic stuff and the chances of them breaking such low level stuff is minimal.

20 minutes ago, mechanicH said:

@blowfish thank you very much sir for updating. Have a lot of fun with this mod. Had a question about the wheels. I have KSP Wheel installed and I see B9 wheels as well. So the question is, are the wheels supposed to have the strut and wheel angle/tilt options or is that part still not developed for the B9 wheels as they are for KSP Wheels and KF. 

That function is specific to the three ALG parts.  I would not expect to see it anywhere else as it is quite painful to do the rigging, setup, and coding.  Technically there is nothing stopping others from using it aside from it being a giant PITA.

(I would however recommend -against- using the ALG functionality in other parts until it is rewritten for the new suspension mechanics, as it will require new rigging and configs at that point and possibly be incompatible with previous saves)

And apparently the CryoTank patches aren't working either.  I guess that's what happens when you assume something that worked a few months ago still works.

Shadowmage will be tweaking the damage model in KSPWheel very soon, so I want to tweak and test the wheels with those changes, then I think it will be time to release a fix for these issues

Small suggestion about the mod- not a bugfix, just an idea.

It is really, really hard to make a good spaceplane using the Mk2b cockpit because the heat tolerance is just a bit too low. In comparison with the other cockpits, even the other B9 cockpits, it has quite a low heat tolerance. I'm not very good at flying/building SSTO spaceplanes, but I don't think that I can get to orbit without hitting 1000 K.

For comparison, while the Mk2b has a max temperature of 1000/2200, the S2 cockpit has a max tolerance of 1300/2500 and the stock Mk2 cockpit has a tolerance of 1400/2500.

Perhaps this could be changed in the next update, but it's just a suggestion. :)

Or I could just use the stock cockpit...

I guess that works too.

5 hours ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Small suggestion about the mod- not a bugfix, just an idea.

It is really, really hard to make a good spaceplane using the Mk2b cockpit because the heat tolerance is just a bit too low. In comparison with the other cockpits, even the other B9 cockpits, it has quite a low heat tolerance. I'm not very good at flying/building SSTO spaceplanes, but I don't think that I can get to orbit without hitting 1000 K.

For comparison, while the Mk2b has a max temperature of 1000/2200, the S2 cockpit has a max tolerance of 1300/2500 and the stock Mk2 cockpit has a tolerance of 1400/2500.

Perhaps this could be changed in the next update, but it's just a suggestion. :)

I think you're right.  I think we originally intended those cockpits to be mostly for atmospheric flight, but given the lack of other options (BahamutoD's Mk22 cockpits are only semi-available nowadays) it probably makes sense to rate them for orbital flight.  And this is Kerbal Space program, after all :wink:

B9 Aerospace v6.3.1 for KSP 1.2.2 is now available!

• Fix CryoTanks patch not working
  • Fix wheels breaking over 10 m/s
  • Remove wheel sounds effects that weren't working
  • Increase load rating and brake torque of larger wheels
  • Increase heat tolerance of Mk2b cockpits

If you're using the wheels, please make sure you update to KSPWheel 0.9.2.11 or later.  There is an important change to how wheels take stress damage in this release.

Edited by blowfish

Actualy, it is quite possible to get B9 Mk2 type cockpit in space. Re-entry is different story, though.

Having less mass, compared to stock cockpit make it also to heat up much quicker, so even with increased heatr tolerance gamebalance is not ruined too much.

13 hours ago, blowfish said:

-Snip-

Great this is what the new thread allows, fast response time to problems. :cool:

BTW @blowfish we have bundled the latest version of SmokeScreen right? That version causes pretty bad frame drop. For now we should bundle 2.7.0 which doesn't have the problem also I do not really have come across the need for the bugfixes @sarbian squashed with 2.7.1.

Edited by Flashblade

16 hours ago, blowfish said:

B9 Aerospace v6.3.1 for KSP 1.2.2 is now available!

• Fix CryoTanks patch not working
  • Fix wheels breaking over 10 m/s
  • Remove wheel sounds effects that weren't working
  • Increase load rating and brake torque of larger wheels
  • Increase heat tolerance of Mk2b cockpits

If you're using the wheels, please make sure you update to KSPWheel 0.9.2.11 or later.  There is an important change to how wheels take stress damage in this release.

WOW! That was fast!

Downloading now...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.