[1.8.x] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.6.0 (Feb 5 2020)

blowfish

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Starfire213 said:

@blowfish

Is there gonna be an update soon for 1.9 or does it already work with it?

Welcome to the forums!

What you should pay attention to are the dependencies.  B9 Aerospace itself is almost exclusively parts, and rarely breaks with KSP updates but the plugins it relies on often do.  Once they're all in place I'll do a release, mostly to satisfy CKAN/AVC concerns.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 9:40 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

I've already experimented on re-balancing, and providing extra instances of the HX HPD engine, configured for a variety of uses. (And I even made plumes for them.) No one has answered my question on Aug 21 (with pic) for desired compatibility so I've left it alone.

• Default Instance: Upgraded LFO and NTR modes. Pseudo-plasma engine modes: greater Isp, makes it much more worthwhile to build HX class DSEVs, not guaranteed to work at Kerbin sea level anymore. (Due to the scale of HX, it is said that such ships should be built in orbit...and there's no HX decoupler? So I'm counting on players to use EL or the new Global Construction.)
  • Nuclear Saltwater Rocket: Single mode: Will use CRP/USI's Karborundum + Water, or WBI's Explodium. Guaranteed to work at Kerbin sea level, may work well on Eve too. But do you want to use this kind of engine on your home planet? I hope not.
  • Ion Drive: Currently dual mode: Epstein Drive/Pseudo VASIMR. Will use CRP's LqdHydrogen or WBI's Propellium. Will provide very modest TWR and amazing Isp at the cost of 1 (or just over 1) added HX reactor per engine. Or you can lower the Isp (and power draw) by a lot for some decent TWR. If time is not an issue, the utility here is unparalleled.

The HX reactor gets reconfigured and maybe an extra instance as well. Its 750 EC/s nerfed in favor of 250EC/s an added, upper NFE or FFT class fusion or fission reactor module (in most cases, 6000 EC/s). The HX Ion Drive instance is tightly balanced against the reactor.

I've also prepared a wide array of extra tank types which will be accessible to (nearly) all HX parts with tankage.

Heavy Ion Drive: Interstellar level stuff. Scoop sold separately.

v3ADu32.jpg

Upgraded NTR "SupraNuclear" with 2000 Isp and more power draw

bCoyJEg.jpg

Nuclear Saltwater/Explodium: The power to deorbit The Mun

1QC9Xlb.jpg

How about some kind of fusion drive using proton-proton, or possibly proton-helium reactions? Could even have a giant deployable magnetic scoop to collect fuel from the solar wind from Kerbol. It's fairly plausible even with current technology, and could provide a means to refuel without sending obscenely huge tankers into orbit (as Jeb as that is our computers do have limits) or landing on low gravity bodies and risking an encounter with the Kraken. Realistic limits could be put on the fuel scoop like you can't use it inside a planetary magnetosphere, and being slow to fill up and would need a huge collector. Something more suited to an HX sized space station orbiting Kerbol that could act like a fuel depot. That would be cool and make a space station useful for more than just sitting there collecting science.

A request if the engine power output is being revisited, maybe take a look at the RCS thrusters too?

I would also ask about HX sized command bridges and hangar bays that open and close but the mod team needs a modeler still? 

@nonono I have published that project with updated details and different plumes to what were shown at the time:

I haven't seen any interest in other propellant types so for now, I believe that the Hydrogen "Epstein-alike" drive with 100,000s Isp "should" be sufficient for most players' end-game propulsion needs. The improved LFO/LF primary engine is meant to make launches from Kerbin (or any permanent colony on its moons) less painful to some degree, far reducing the need for tankers. I've provided more options for RCS where:

• The existing thrusters can switch between MonoPropellant, IntakeAtm (infinitely usable once a ship is in atmosphere), and Heavy ArcJet (LH2 + EC) with 1200s vac Isp, 200s ASL Isp.
  • Clones of them can switch between LFO and Hydrolox.

I already want to provide an HX-sized scoop but I haven't the energy to make parts right now. I don't intend to add any parts at all after that, especially crewed parts, though I also would like to have a few options for bridges, labs and habs. In order for any of those to happen, someone else really does need to come along who's passionate for B9 HX.

I'm currently trying to recreate one of the slick SSTOs from the old B9 banner images. However I'm running into an issue of the nosecone, which is actually a tail, causing the whole craft to have a downward center of lift. Obviously if it's used as a tail facing backwards the craft is fine, but then I've got a backwards plane.

hIpoAFZ.png

17oWu9d.png

So is there a way to duplicate the part and edit it's flight model in the config to serve as a nosecone?

2 hours ago, SwissArmyKnife said:

So is there a way to duplicate the part and edit it's flight model in the config to serve as a nosecone?

You can rotate part by 180 degree on roll axis. Textures might not match, but it should fix lift issue in stock aerodynamic.

On 4/8/2020 at 9:02 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

@nonono I have published that project with updated details and different plumes to what were shown at the time:

I haven't seen any interest in other propellant types so for now, I believe that the Hydrogen "Epstein-alike" drive with 100,000s Isp "should" be sufficient for most players' end-game propulsion needs. The improved LFO/LF primary engine is meant to make launches from Kerbin (or any permanent colony on its moons) less painful to some degree, far reducing the need for tankers. I've provided more options for RCS where:

• The existing thrusters can switch between MonoPropellant, IntakeAtm (infinitely usable once a ship is in atmosphere), and Heavy ArcJet (LH2 + EC) with 1200s vac Isp, 200s ASL Isp.
  • Clones of them can switch between LFO and Hydrolox.

I already want to provide an HX-sized scoop but I haven't the energy to make parts right now. I don't intend to add any parts at all after that, especially crewed parts, though I also would like to have a few options for bridges, labs and habs. In order for any of those to happen, someone else really does need to come along who's passionate for B9 HX.

Lovely! I'm just coming back to the game after a hiatus after the Kraken struck my save game so I didn't know that was there. 

I respect the amount of effort it takes to make models, I work with SolidWorks as part of my job and sometimes doing seemingly simple things takes a lot of time. As far as a scoop goes, DMagic has made one that I think could work and fit within the art style with some changes to the texturing. Maybe he would let you use the model?

im using this on version 1.9.1 and the fuel tanks have clones inside of them and none of them have fuel nor oxidizer. how do i fix this? (i don't have .CKAN) are there any solutions?

Screenshots:  how to add them?

Edited by SM280
to add screenshots

On 4/18/2020 at 10:48 AM, SM280 said:

im using this on version 1.9.1 and the fuel tanks have clones inside of them and none of them have fuel nor oxidizer. how do i fix this? (i don't have .CKAN) are there any solutions?

Screenshots:  how to add them?

Do you have B9PartSwitch installed?

On 4/2/2020 at 9:20 AM, Syczek said:

Anyone can help me?? I using Sabre engines i build for them intake/precooler and engines and engines overheat and blow up when i switch modes. What i am doing wrong because precooler states there is no intakes

The precooler is just structural.  But I can't reproduce any issues with engine overheating.  Do you have any other mods installed that might affect engine heating?

On 4/6/2020 at 9:26 PM, Mytrenet said:

Hey, Is there a reason why this is not on CKAN? b9 seems to work fine, only switchpart and some others show, but b9 aerospace says its not compatible on CKAN.

KSP version?

On 3/8/2020 at 8:38 PM, The Space Man said:

Is the emissive texture on the large hollow structural pieces broken?

I use a blue color emissive and noticed straight away that the emissive no longer shows on the large hollow parts for some reason :confused:

i4ov9x9.png

Im having the same issue here and just wanna know if the problem got already adressed ?

On 4/25/2020 at 10:13 PM, blowfish said:

Do you have B9PartSwitch installed?

The precooler is just structural.  But I can't reproduce any issues with engine overheating.  Do you have any other mods installed that might affect engine heating?

KSP version?

thanks a lot but i have a bit of a new problem that i don't really know how to describe, the mk1 cockpit says that it has a pressurizing problem when i select it in the SPH.

7 hours ago, SM280 said:

thanks a lot but i have a bit of a new problem that i don't really know how to describe, the mk1 cockpit says that it has a pressurizing problem when i select it in the SPH.

Sounds like some life support mod?  B9 Aerospace doesn't do anything like that on its own.

I highly recommend reading the "how to get support" link in my signature.  It will tell you want information to provide with support requests so that you can get answers faster.  If you only provide a general description of the problem most modders will not be able to help you other than wild guesses at what's wrong.

On 4/28/2020 at 4:47 PM, blowfish said:

Sounds like some life support mod?  B9 Aerospace doesn't do anything like that on its own.

I highly recommend reading the "how to get support" link in my signature.  It will tell you want information to provide with support requests so that you can get answers faster.  If you only provide a general description of the problem most modders will not be able to help you other than wild guesses at what's wrong.

i don't have a life support mod just so you know, the funny thing is that it's the only capsule that says that. i can try to send a screenshot if i knew how to do that (copy and pasting doesn't work for some reason).

On 4/29/2020 at 8:49 AM, SM280 said:

i don't have a life support mod just so you know, the funny thing is that it's the only capsule that says that. i can try to send a screenshot if i knew how to do that(copy and pasting doesn't work for some reason).

it might be because a mod i had called "FreeIVA" which allows internal movement in IVA, i tried to delete but somehow got stuck to the game.

EDIT: never mind i fixed the problem by re downloading the mod.

Edited by SM280

On 4/13/2020 at 3:58 AM, SwissArmyKnife said:

17oWu9d.png

The slightest tilt upward should be enough to meet your needs. I just tried that part in-game and it's definitely weird.

On 4/2/2020 at 12:20 PM, Syczek said:

Anyone can help me?? I using Sabre engines i build for them intake/precooler and engines and engines overheat and blow up when i switch modes. What i am doing wrong because precooler states there is no intakes

On 4/25/2020 at 10:13 PM, blowfish said:

I think that's a KSP Interstellar thing. In KSPI, many engines demand to be attached directly to a part which would precede them if they were built IRL (like the nuclear nozzles needing to be attached to reactors). So I'm betting that since the B9 SABRE precooler actually isn't (doesn't have an intake module) then the SABRE engine doesn't actually get precooled and threatens to have meltdowns. I've seen this same problem in the YouTube series of a user of KSPI + B9 Aero.

It's legit funny that at the end of the really long part description that the precoolers actually say -- "Just kidding, this knockoff piece probably isn't doing anything."

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can someone point me to the instructions on how to setup the B9 VTOL engines?

I havent used them yet but played with them in the SPH.  I am making an assumption those settings in the PAW map action keys or something but if a wiki or post has the details I would love to read about it first.

I found some videos on youtube I'll watch in the meantime.

Thanks for the mod, I use the parts extensively and just discovered the engines.

Edited by SkiRich

• 2 months later...

I've got a bit of a weird problem with the Mk2 Cockpit: nothing attaches correctly to its attachment point.  Regardless of what part I try to attach, stock, B9, ect., the part always clips into the cockpit and attaches ~500mm too high.

(And for some reason, the forum won't let me upload the screen shot from imgur.)

9 minutes ago, rpayne88 said:

I've got a bit of a weird problem with the Mk2 Cockpit: nothing attaches correctly to its attachment point.  Regardless of what part I try to attach, stock, B9, ect., the part always clips into the cockpit and attaches ~500mm too high.

(And for some reason, the forum won't let me upload the screen shot from imgur.)

Okay, the mk2 CRG-04 cargobay fits, but not the standard mk2 cargo bay (nor anything else.  And no other parts line up with the mk2 CRG-04.)

Update: This seems to be the case with EVERY B9 part.

Edited by rpayne88

On 7/29/2020 at 2:10 AM, SkiRich said:

Can someone point me to the instructions on how to setup the B9 VTOL engines?

If you don't have Firespitter Core (the FS plane parts aren't important), install it. According to the B9 GitHub, The VTOL tilt action requires that mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.