[0.16] X-7/9 Scram Jet [Assimilated Inc.]

Johnnyd

Assimilatedinclogo.png

by: Johnnyd

X-7/9 ScramJet

The X-7/9 Scram jet is my first project for KSP and the first project I have actually

finished for 3D modeling. Its based on the X-43 from NASA with a few personal

modifications. Many hours have been spent tuning this craft to work decently

yet it still needs some work. Usually a scram jet is deployed in supersonic speeds

of 4700 mph and more. But since that is 2400 m/s I decided to tone it down and

keep it away from escape velocity. This craft is alot of fun to play with, but needs

further tuning. I am open to any suggestions on how to improve on this hull and

make it more realistic and enjoyable.

Id recommend deploying the scram jet above 10,000m otherwise the dense

atmosphere wont allow it to gain speed. In the RAR file I added a deploying

craft to allow you to do this as well as the method in which all five parts for

the Scram jet are assembled.

Enjoy!

Download

http://www./download.php?apjb4b539e270v8

sc4.jpg

sc1.jpg

sc2.jpg

sc3.jpg

Edited by Johnnyd

Scram jets dont really.... 'land' they crash lol. I might devise some way to land but im not entirely sure it would make sense because the engines fail once the speed is below supersonic.

This model has five components, the Hull, Command pod, engine, engine shield/asas, controls surfaces. Because of the nature of how small and light it is, the ASAS doesn\'t work as intended.

Well, I know the hypersonic scram jets we have currently flying are not supposed to land, but there\'s designs for everything from bombers to suborbital people transports that use scram jets, and I\'m pretty sure they were meant to land, not crash. Why don\'t you look up one of the designs and see what it used for landing mechanisms?

this looks cool, downloading. Would love to see it divided more and made into a semi modular set. Heres to hoping.

This is my plan, im going through iterations on how I want to cut up the Craft and add different options like different shaped hulls, engines, wings, nose, etc. Id also like to add a rocket like seen above that launches the Scram-jet into supersonic.

I see what you did here Im hoping you can do something about the lack of wings landing wheels and engines us plane builders use. :D

P.S. Im hoping you could make some f-14 sweeping wings (one small one large B-1 wings) and a f22 main hull/jet/engine thx

I have plans for a lot of things, the question is how to make modular pieces while still maintaining a unique look. Such as the f22 raptor, to cut that up it would only fit together one way. Thats the issue.....

where\'d you get the parts? do them yourself?

No,i don\'t know how i create one part.

I download the parts from the creators and i do only the textures with photoshop,and i change the parameters to part cfg.

No,i download the parts from the creators and i do only the textures with photoshop,and i change the parameters to part cfg.

Your idea inspired me greatly! I completely forgot about that rocket system they use and I was dead focused on the Scram jet itself. Now I have something to add to it with. :)

Great job, Johnny. Glad to see this project post-release. I\'m also pretty surprised with what people have done with the craft. It\'s a pretty narrow, non-adaptable system but people are still adding stuff like standardized launch and recovery.

Here\'s to hoping you can develop a more modular system with room for control surfaces, parachutes and gear.

Your idea inspired me greatly! I completely forgot about that rocket system they use and I was dead focused on the Scram jet itself. Now I have something to add to it with. :)

My friend Johnnyd,you inspired me,and you give us the happy with your creations,continue your so good work,i like so much this Scram jet!!! :) :) :)

I have been working on X-43 and SCRAMs, but you finished it first :( In 0.15 SCRAMs not worked, I have tried to make, but X-7/9 prompted me to think that it\'s possible to make it work.

But I planned it to make one-part. If you agree to make it one-part, can you give .max file?

And I can help with tuning, I have a lot of ideas how to make it fly better.

Got the craft to launch altitude (10k+) and let fly WITH SAS ON (pretty important for the first-stage craft) and could hold a higher altitude. It\'s got a pretty thin band of altitude it can function at but that\'s rpetty conducive to balance. Once it got going it worked pretty well.