To Boldly Go interstellar challenge!

19 hours ago, Leafbaron said:

My god, This challenge is epic. very interested.... Any idea on the Dv requirements for the nearest star system? and time to get there? its gotta be hundreds of years! I mean with the dark drive from OPT and an 87.5% fuel mass ratio. you can achieve 265191.1798 m/s of dv. but getting that kind of ratio with life support is going to be extremely difficult. 

Difficult? Jeez, if that's difficult, than I must be close to the level of Scott Manley, because I managed it easily with a xenon setup. To be fair, I'm getting that readout with no cargo loaded in, but still!

2 hours ago, Thomas P. said:

No, it is you ignoring the suggestions of others. Yes, this is caused by Kopernicus. But about 3 updates ago I implemented a workaround for it, and people posted about it in your thread

Please try to actually fix problems instead of outright blaming Kopernicus for it. Thank you.

Yes, this worked for the issue but also deleted the galaxy. I hope daniel l. can solve the problem.

On 01/29/2017 at 10:25 AM, Linventor said:

I would love to take place, but I've only just landed a craft on the Mün. And even then, it was extremely over engineered, with 8 km/s of ▲v total. That's not to say I'm not gonna try the challenge! It's just that I'll probably fail horribly.

Oh, another thing: is the SETI-Greenhouse mod okay? Cause I doubt I'll be able to manage the challenge otherwise.

EDIT: I'd like to know if these mods are allowed before I start building: Fuel tanks plus, Hangar, Interstellar fuel switch, and infernal robotics.

Sorry i didn't notice this post earlier. Yes you may use all those mods. :)

1 hour ago, Linventor said:

Difficult? Jeez, if that's difficult, than I must be close to the level of Scott Manley, because I managed it easily with a xenon setup. To be fair, I'm getting that readout with no cargo loaded in, but still!

with the standard xenon engine in the game at 4200 ISP it is impossible to get over 189,742 m/s dv. The craft would need to be 100% fuel to achieve that 189 number. not to mention adding life support for possibly thousands of years of travel. Cargo makes a huge difference.

5 hours ago, Thomas P. said:

No, it is you ignoring the suggestions of others. Yes, this is caused by Kopernicus. But about 3 updates ago I implemented a workaround for it, and people posted about it in your thread

Please try to actually fix problems instead of outright blaming Kopernicus for it. Thank you.

I understand the fact that you feel blamed for the problem here. However, no one singled you out, or pinged you, because we understand that you are most likely working on a fix. However the case remains that there is in fact a glitch in Kopernicus (a truly wonderful mod that we would be screwed without) and the proposed workarounds only work for some people. Honestly, I found your words highly ironic as it is sadly your job to actually fix this glitch, not people who depend on your mod for their own. Now I'm quite sure that you are working on a fix but I would respectfully request that you refrain from blaming people for not installing your partial fix, and claiming that they do not listen to the requests of others, without knowing the whole story. This will get us nowhere. I know @daniel l. and he does actually listen to the requests of others very well. All suggestions are taken seriously and responded to. Also please kindly refrain from taking on such an aggressive tone in posts on another modmakers thread. You and I both know what that does. 

Respectfully,

Mycroft, CEO of CMAU Incorporated 

Edited by Mycroft

11 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

I understand the fact that you feel blamed for the problem here. However, no one singled you out, or pinged you, because we understand that you are most likely working on a fix. However the case remains that there is in fact a glitch in Kopernicus (a truly wonderful mod that we would be screwed without) and the proposed workarounds only work for some people. Honestly, I found your words highly ironic as it is sadly your job to actually fix this glitch, not people who depend on your mod for their own. Now I'm quite sure that you are working on a fix but I would respectfully request that you refrain from blaming people for not installing your partial fix, and claiming that they do not listen to the requests of others, without knowing the whole story. This will get us nowhere. I know @daniel l. and he does actually listen to the requests of others very well. All suggestions are taken seriously and responded to. Also please kindly refrain from taking on such an aggressive tone in posts on another modmakers thread. You and I both know what that does. 

Respectfully,

Mycroft, CEO of CMAU Incorporated 

Apologies to daniel - I didnt want to sound agressive, but I just dont like it if you say that mod xyz is broken, but you dont submit anything closely related to a bugreport (noone told me that PostSpawnOrbit is broken for example).

@daniel l. If I can help, please PM me. :)

Musk this is gonna be a hard challenge! I'm doing it the super-hard way (bring along a colony) and this will be difficult! I'm also going to use Extraplanetary Launchpads and Civilian Population (which I've hacked into working in 1.2.2) to make it self-sustaining in resources, population, and craft building! 

The KSS Spirit of Kerbin (named after Macey Dean's ship of the same name) is currently being assembled in LKO in an Extraplanetary Launchpads drydock. The ground crew at the KSC is hard at work refueling and re-payloading SSTOs that are shipping up RocketParts. The best Kerbonauts are being trained to fly the ship. 

Propulsion: Medusa drives (courtesy Umbra Space Industries) 

Power: Enourmous Tweakscaled reactor from Near Future Electrical

Crew Capacity: 25 crew members, 250 colonists 

Life Support Mod(s) Used: Kerbalism (crew), Civilian Population's Built-In Life Support System (colonists) 

Cargo: Fully Automated One-Use Landers (FAOULs) with automatic Drill-O-Matics, Convert-O-Trons, Augers, Smelters, 3-D Printers (from an EL expansion mod), and a Launch Pad, along with room and life support for one engineer (so they can connect up the FAOULs with KAS pipes) 

Mission Goal: Construct a self-sustaining (in all respects) colony on an exoplanet

12 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

Musk this is gonna be a hard challenge! I'm doing it the super-hard way (bring along a colony) and this will be difficult! I'm also going to use Extraplanetary Launchpads and Civilian Population (which I've hacked into working in 1.2.2) to make it self-sustaining in resources, population, and craft building! 

The KSS Spirit of Kerbin (named after Macey Dean's ship of the same name) is currently being assembled in LKO in an Extraplanetary Launchpads drydock. The ground crew at the KSC is hard at work refueling and re-payloading SSTOs that are shipping up RocketParts. The best Kerbonauts are being trained to fly the ship. 

Propulsion: Medusa drives (courtesy Umbra Space Industries) 

Power: Enourmous Tweakscaled reactor from Near Future Electrical

Crew Capacity: 25 crew members, 250 colonists 

Life Support Mod(s) Used: Kerbalism (crew), Civilian Population's Built-In Life Support System (colonists) 

Cargo: Fully Automated One-Use Landers (FAOULs) with automatic Drill-O-Matics, Convert-O-Trons, Augers, Smelters, 3-D Printers (from an EL expansion mod), and a Launch Pad, along with room and life support for one engineer (so they can connect up the FAOULs with KAS pipes) 

Mission Goal: Construct a self-sustaining (in all respects) colony on an exoplanet

Have you searched your galaxy for a suitable target? Though all planets might be merely clones of stock ones, The surrounding scenery can significantly impact the feel. Orange stars will cast a beautiful warm glow for example.

Three Medusa-powered probes are at cruising speed, flying towards three different star systems. The plan is to send the ship to a Laythe clone, since the planned colony is similar to Laythe Colony Alpha, and lessons learned there can easily be applied to here.

I'm thinking an orange or red dwarf due to their long lifespans.

Probe Two detects several planets orbiting the red dwarf JEB-5. Initial spectral scans indicate oxygen levels identical to Laythe in the atmosphere of the second planet. Trajectory has been adjusted for a close flyby to confirm it is a Laythe clone.

Edited by KAL 9000

2 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

Probe Two detects several planets orbiting the red dwarf JEB-5. Initial spectral scans indicate oxygen levels identical to Laythe in the atmosphere of the second planet. Trajectory has been adjusted for a close flyby to confirm it is a Laythe clone.

what was the Dv and time to get there?

On 31-1-2017 at 6:29 PM, Leafbaron said:

My god, This challenge is epic. very interested.... Any idea on the Dv requirements for the nearest star system? and time to get there? its gotta be hundreds of years! I mean with the dark drive from OPT and an 87.5% fuel mass ratio. you can achieve 265191.1798 m/s of dv. but getting that kind of ratio with life support is going to be extremely difficult. 

Just simple math shows you want to go at least 1% the speed of light for a 400 years trip to reach the closest star (4 light years away)

1% lightpeed = 299792458  * 0.01 =  2997924 m/s. To speed up and speed down you need double the amount of delta V, which mean 5995848   ~6000000 delta V !!

The minimum isp to achieve that kind of delta V without horrendous mass fraction is about  6000000 / 30 = 200000 Isp !!

You ain't going to achieve that with an Orion/Medusa, it's effective Isp is simply too low for that

Edited by FreeThinker

On 2/3/2017 at 4:01 AM, FreeThinker said:

Just simple math shows you want to go at least 1% the speed of light for a 400 years trip to reach the closest star (4 light years away)

1% lightpeed = 299792458  * 0.01 =  2997924 m/s. To speed up and speed down you need double the amount of delta V, which mean 5995848   ~6000000 delta V !!

The minimum isp to achieve that kind of delta V without horrendous mass fraction is about  6000000 / 30 = 200000 Isp !!

You ain't going to achieve that with an Orion/Medusa, it's effective Isp is simply too low for that

There was also... A KSP-I Daedalus engine as well. Forgot about that one :) Orion drive did non-relativistic speed maneuvers (i.e. Flying between planets in the target system)

Edited by KAL 9000

On February 1, 2017 at 6:16 AM, daniel l. said:

Please don't use that tone. Now, I have tried those suggestions. The result was a broken game. They simply don't appear to work.

Yo, this seems like an awesome mod and challenge, but are their orbit lines outside the suns' SOIs? What are they orbiting around?

On 2/3/2017 at 2:53 PM, seanth said:

Can we use something like this:

I was going to ask that same question, but then you asked it for me. :P

On 2/3/2017 at 5:07 PM, daniel l. said:

Well. Seeing as Gyro drives are pretty much impossible. I wouldn't think so.

that's what I was afraid of.

Yesterday, an SSTO brought up the final shipment of EL parts and the civilians and crew came in three other SSTO shipments! 

IT IS COMPLETE! 

The launch of the ship (transcript):

SPACEDOCK CONTROL: Begin final systems check. 

CAPTAIN JEB: You heard the Kerb. 

FIRST OFFICER VAL: All systems look good from here. 

CHIEF ENGINEER BILL: Same here. 

SCIENCE OFFICER BOB: Although I do have many concerns about this ship, all systems are surprisingly okay. 

CHEIF MEDICAL OFFICER WILCOY: All systems green. 

HELMSKERB BILLY-BOBFORD: All systems five by five. 

CAPTAIN JEB: My systems are okay, too. Spacedock Control, we are GO for departure. 

SPACEDOCK CONTROL: Roger. You are cleared for launch procedure. 

CAPTAIN JEB: Bill, activate the reactors. 

CHEIF ENGINEER BILL: Yes, sir. 

CAPTAIN JEB: Billy-Bobford, plot a course to JEB-5. 

HELMSKERB BILLY-BOBFORD: On it, sir. 

CAPTAIN JEB: Val, switch us from Spacedock life support to internal life support. Same thing with power. 

FIRST OFFICER VAL: Yes, sir. 

CAPTAIN JEB: And someone get me some koffee! 

INTERN GELTRIX: Yes, sir! 

SPACEDOCK CONTROL: Fueling, power and boarding arms retracting. Stand by for decoupling. 

CAPTAIN JEB: Roger. Bill, activate inertial dampeners! 

CHEIF ENGINEER BILL: That's only in Star Trek, sir. 

CAPTAIN JEB: Oh, right. 

SPACEDOCK CONTROL: We have undocking! 

Edited by KAL 9000

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.