Legal questions regarding translations

Nils277

There are a few questions i asked myself about the translation which should probably be figured out/determined before the localization update is released. Maybe @UomoCapra or @Badie can clarify this?

When the update for the localization is released, there will probably be a wave of mod updates with translations. For obvious reasons one modder can't do the translation into all supported languages on their own so they need help from other members of the community (or outside) who are fluent in the missing language. The problem is, it will be very hard for the modder to verify that the translated texts are sane and do not break the rules of the forum. So:

Questions:

1. Who is responsible when a translation made by a third party breaks the forum rules? The modder who is not able to check the texts? The person who did the translation? Will a modder be made responsible for the texts? E,g by getting warning/infriction points or even a ban. 
  2. Is a modder obliged to check any translation? If yes how (he/she does not know the language)? 
  3. What should a modder do when it comes out that a translated text breaks the rules? (Aside from updating the mod to remove the text)
Edited by Nils277

I can't actually answer any of these questions, but as a modder who will be looking at supporting translations the way I'd intended to approach it avoids those questions (I think).

I'm simply going to support loading text strings from a text file so anyone who does a translation of my mod can distribute it themselves, I don't have to get involved.

I intend to go this route to avoid update delays, once a translation is done it can be released in a usable format by the translator, they don't have to forward it to me to compile into the mod and wait for me to get around to it.

It is a bit of extra work in the code to support this, probably more then just directly adding another language myself would be, but if the mod is translated into two or three (or more) languages, this way results in less time required on my part.

And so I avoid those questions you've posted, I distribute only my mod and the translator distributes his translation file. Any issues with the files being distributed by the translator are clearly their problem this way as they (not me) are distribution the translation.

Disclaimer: Not an employee of Squad or a lawyer, just how I intend to handle it.

D.

@Nils277: your question is actually more about the policy with applying forum rules and add-on rules. So, let us consider the following scenario, where one add-on (or a third-party translation for one add-on) is found not compliant with the above rules (what would happen because either forum members report the issue, or because of our own "fantastic" abilities with foreign languages :wink:). As normal policy in these cases, the moderation team will notify the author, and is expected that action is taken shortly to remove offending material from any package (be it the true add-on, or just translation files). We may actually de-link packages from forum posts if no action is taken, so to ensure compliance with the rules, what has occurred in a few cases over the years. Can't tell for sure yet, but if the issue is limited (at least with languages we can actively moderate) we may actually have the ability to suggest proper corrections to the author, so allowing the ability to implement them and bring the package back with minimal delay. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.