[1.3] FuelCellTweaks [v1.0.4]

DefiantZombie

Download: GitHub | Source

All bugs shall be submitted via the GitHub issues system (see Source link above). No logs, no support.

"This is how fuel cells should work in stock." --DasValdez

fpxvaYO.png

What this mod does is add a minimum electricity storage slider to the fuel cell.
If you have a battery of 50 and set the slider to 50%, the fuel cell will activate when EC is drained to 25 units.
If you have a battery of 50 and set the slider to 10%, the fuel cell will activate when EC is drained to 2.5 units.

This mod makes the fuel cell behave like a backup generator!
Bases: have them use solar during the day and switch over to fuel cell power during the night.
Ships: have them as backup power as we all have time warped or endup on the dark side of a planet and run out of EC cause of not bringing enough batteries along.
Science landers and planes: cause we all know some DMagic science parts can drain the battery like crazy, now you can simply add a fuel cell for backup power instead of bringing several batteries along :)

Installation

1. !!!IMPORTANT!!! If going from KSP 1.2.2 to 1.3, delete the old Collide-o-Scope folder.

2. Install ModuleManager or use the provided version (may be out of date!)

3. Copy Squidsoft Collective into your KSP/GameData folder. OS X Note: You will have to go one level deeper and copy/merge the folders inside Squidsoft Collective into your KSP/GameData/Squidsoft Collective folder.

Usage

Output Capacity Limiter
1. Enable Advanced Tweakables for your save.
2. Right-click on a fuel cell and adjust the output capacity.

History

Added compatibility for parts containing "Fuel Cell" anywhere in the title. (Merge PR #5)
    Fixed part config FillAmount being overwritten in the editors. (Fixes #6)
    Fixed readme install steps.
    IMPORTANT! Delete any past version from your game. Install this one fresh in KSP 1.3.
    Updated dependencies for KSP 1.3.
    Removed MiniAVC module. Version file remains. (Fixes #1)
    Added localization support. Support documentation and submission form planned.

Credits

- DasValdez for always being inspiring and classy. https://twitch.tv/DasValdez
- Popskyy for the creativity fuel. https://popskyy.bandcamp.com/

License

See License.txt

Edited by DefiantZombie

1 hour ago, fourfa said:

fpxvaYO.png

(images post fine for me...?)

So this is just a output rate limiter, nothing else?  I half heard that line line of discussion last night, but what's the situation that this cures?

What this mod does is add a minimum electricity storage slider to the fuel cell.
If you have a battery of 50 and set the slider to 50%, the fuel cell will activate when EC is drained to 25 units.
If you have a battery of 50 and set the slider to 10%, the fuel cell will activate when EC is drained to 2.5 units.

Bases: have them use solar during the day and switch over to fuel cell power during the night.
Ships: have them as backup power as we all have time warped or endup on the dark side of a planet and run out of EC cause of not bringing enough batteries along.
Science landers and planes: cause we all know some DMagic science parts can drain the battery like crazy, now you can simply add a fuel cell for backup power instead of bringing several batteries along :)

Edited by Kamuchi

8 hours ago, Kamuchi said:

Science landers and planes: cause we all know some DMagic science parts can drain the battery like crazy, now you can simply add a fuel cell for backup power instead of bringing several batteries along :)

Awesome! Though, to better inform potential users of this mod, could we get this text added to the OP?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Does the fuel cell only activate after reaching a set percentage of ecs and stays on from then or does it regulate the fuel cells in a way that they activate when ecs<set amount and automatically deactivate when ecs>set amount?

If this is the case then i need to know if its compatible with the current version/ would need constant updating

because if everything goes right i might have found the solution to manage a abomination cluttered with fuel cells,reactors,solar panels,etc. and that would be awesome because tons of features are awesome and being able to handle tons of features without loosing my mind is awesome too :D

apart from that thank you for your work  and effort i rly appreciate it

On 2/7/2018 at 10:24 AM, KampfTomate007 said:

Does the fuel cell only activate after reaching a set percentage of ecs and stays on from then or does it regulate the fuel cells in a way that they activate when ecs<set amount and automatically deactivate when ecs>set amount?

If this is the case then i need to know if its compatible with the current version/ would need constant updating

because if everything goes right i might have found the solution to manage a abomination cluttered with fuel cells,reactors,solar panels,etc. and that would be awesome because tons of features are awesome and being able to handle tons of features without loosing my mind is awesome too :D

apart from that thank you for your work  and effort i rly appreciate it

Hey! I apologize for not responding to this sooner. All this mod does is expose a hidden value on the fuel cells. Kamuchi did a great job (where I failed) to explain what this does:

On 1/25/2017 at 1:45 PM, Kamuchi said:

If you've ever done ore processing with the stock parts, it's the same feature that the processors have.

16 hours ago, DefiantZombie said:

Hey! I apologize for not responding to this sooner. All this mod does is expose a hidden value on the fuel cells. Kamuchi did a great job (where I failed) to explain what this does:

If you've ever done ore processing with the stock parts, it's the same feature that the processors have.

Nothing wrong with being bussy dear friend :wink:

im sry if this sounds silly but i never got a real clue about resource processing behavior

Spoiler

i do understand that there are in and outputs and ratios and that it doesnt work/shuts down if one of the dependent resources is missing

i also knew about the value after trying to get a clue about said behavior while looking into files

but what i dont know is the detailed behavior of resource processing units besides the obvious on/off status / the ominous 95 value

does the value deactivate the fuel cell when > said value, does it stay on but does not produce/consume resources while at or > the value

does it activate if < the value  and continue producing/consuming resources until reaching storage cap

if it does does it then stop consuming/producing resources or is it continuesly draining resources while dumping excessive output resources

many different parts seem to behave differently to me

e.g. stock fuel cell, ISRU, universal storage fuelcell, near future nuclear reactor/capacitor

im trying to create a craft which is secured and acts on multiple levels and knowing how to automate atleast some of these elements would be a big relief

My idea of how it might work would be like this:

(fuel cells value) ecs= 10%

if max ecs= 50 it will start generating ec if ecs<5 (btw as far as i know 10% of 50 is 5 not 2.5 :D)

what im looking for is that it only produces if < 10% and then stays in a "standby" mode in which it tries to "hold" the set value e.g.10% so that i can use it as a reliable backup source while keeping the production/consumption minimal

so that it doesnt produce so much energy that potential energy produced by solar panels during day time is wasted due to hitting storage capacity and therefore using fuelcells more than neccessary and therefore being less efficient

i might already got a solution for NFE reactors by a fork from blackliner and maybe for the capacitors aswell by a kos script wrote by Magnevv

TL;DR: i hope this is done right

[snip] i try to minimize the amount of wall in text but as you probably already noticed im horrible at it :/

ty for your attention and patience i do appreciate it :D

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

On 2/9/2018 at 7:51 AM, KampfTomate007 said:

Nothing wrong with being bussy dear friend :wink:

im sry if this sounds silly but i never got a real clue about resource processing behavior

Hide contents

i do understand that there are in and outputs and ratios and that it doesnt work/shuts down if one of the dependent resources is missing

i also knew about the value after trying to get a clue about said behavior while looking into files

but what i dont know is the detailed behavior of resource processing units besides the obvious on/off status / the ominous 95 value

does the value deactivate the fuel cell when > said value, does it stay on but does not produce/consume resources while at or > the value

does it activate if < the value  and continue producing/consuming resources until reaching storage cap

if it does does it then stop consuming/producing resources or is it continuesly draining resources while dumping excessive output resources

many different parts seem to behave differently to me

e.g. stock fuel cell, ISRU, universal storage fuelcell, near future nuclear reactor/capacitor

im trying to create a craft which is secured and acts on multiple levels and knowing how to automate atleast some of these elements would be a big relief

My idea of how it might work would be like this:

(fuel cells value) ecs= 10%

if max ecs= 50 it will start generating ec if ecs<5 (btw as far as i know 10% of 50 is 5 not 2.5 :D)

what im looking for is that it only produces if < 10% and then stays in a "standby" mode in which it tries to "hold" the set value e.g.10% so that i can use it as a reliable backup source while keeping the production/consumption minimal

so that it doesnt produce so much energy that potential energy produced by solar panels during day time is wasted due to hitting storage capacity and therefore using fuelcells more than neccessary and therefore being less efficient

i might already got a solution for NFE reactors by a fork from blackliner and maybe for the capacitors aswell by a kos script wrote by Magnevv

TL;DR: i hope this is done right

[snip] i try to minimize the amount of wall in text but as you probably already noticed im horrible at it :/

ty for your attention and patience i do appreciate it :D

I can't speak for other mods. What the resource conversion limiter does is run the equipment (ore processor or fuel cell) until the converted resource (fuel or EC) reaches the % that you set.

So if you want to maintain 50% EC at all times, set the fuel cells to 0.5. The fuel cells will turn on when EC drops below the limit and turn off when it reaches or exceeds. This gives you power through the night while allowing solars to do their job and not waste your fuel during the day.

Alright i just tested the fuel cells (and several other parts while at it) and learned that it works just as i hoped for

stock fuel cells, universal storage (alkaline) fuel cells and stock converters act like this which is great

now i only need to worry about nfe reactors and capacitors because the reactors dont seem to have a "resource preservation" factor

but i most likely already got a solution for that

Ty for your patience and insights about ksp logic and also thank you for this small yet lovely little mid which lets my ocd heart shine :D

• 1 month later...

Heya, I was reviewing my mod list and when I came across this mod, I naturally decided to  revisit this thread, but I have noticed that the download links (GitHub) in the OP of this thread are giving 404: Not Found! It seems the entire repository has been moved/deleted, which is unfortunate. Has this mod been discontinued, or moved elsewhere?

On 10/02/2018 at 10:05 PM, KampfTomate007 said:

Alright i just tested the fuel cells (and several other parts while at it) and learned that it works just as i hoped for

stock fuel cells, universal storage (alkaline) fuel cells and stock converters act like this which is great

now i only need to worry about nfe reactors and capacitors because the reactors dont seem to have a "resource preservation" factor

but i most likely already got a solution for that

Ty for your patience and insights about ksp logic and also thank you for this small yet lovely little mid which lets my ocd heart shine :D

I think it is intended for the reactors and capacitors in NFE to not turn on and off so conveniently, to add some drawbacks to them. You can try to use Smart Parts if you really need some automation.

About the mod being removed, I have the archives and the license included is this one: GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 3, 29 June 2007

This license allows me to re-upload it here for people wanting this mod?

46 minutes ago, fourfa said:

the author went into dark mode on all of their mods - it seems in order to review which license to use, and because of forum users pestering for updates in times of massive upheaval like a core Unity engine update.  I've seen work continuing with a small group of private testers.  Be patient.

Putting words in someones mouth is not a kind thing to do. Please don't speak for me.

58 minutes ago, Supercheese said:

Heya, I was reviewing my mod list and when I came across this mod, I naturally decided to  revisit this thread, but I have noticed that the download links (GitHub) in the OP of this thread are giving 404: Not Found! It seems the entire repository has been moved/deleted, which is unfortunate. Has this mod been discontinued, or moved elsewhere?

I apologize for leaving y'all in the dark for so long. I removed public support for reasons I shall keep to myself. Those reasons have since been resolved and I do intend on getting the mods back to the public space. However my current schedule is not allowing the time to get this work done. If Curse hadn't bugged out and deleted the projects, I could unarchive the files and it would be good. Unfortunately... Curse is Curse and seemed to delete the projects and the messages I left there to let everyone know what's up.

I promise I will get these back in your hands as soon as time allows.

3 hours ago, MaximumThrust said:

I think it is intended for the reactors and capacitors in NFE to not turn on and off so conveniently, to add some drawbacks to them. You can try to use Smart Parts if you really need some automation.

About the mod being removed, I have the archives and the license included is this one: GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 3, 29 June 2007

This license allows me to re-upload it here for people wanting this mod?

Statements like this are why I will be switching to All Rights Reserved for all future licensing. Not contacting the mod authors to get info on whether the mod is abandoned before you take it upon yourself to distribute/patch/fork causes many problems down the road for mod authors that have not abandoned their work.

I don't intend to direct my comment at you specifically, but this is an issue that is starting to creep into the KSP culture more and more. It's not the right path for modding to take.

2 minutes ago, DefiantZombie said:

Statements like this are why I will be switching to All Rights Reserved for all future licensing. Not contacting the mod authors to get info on whether the mod is abandoned before you take it upon yourself to distribute/patch/fork causes many problems down the road for mod authors that have not abandoned their work.

I don't intend to direct my comment at you specifically, but this is an issue that is starting to creep into the KSP culture more and more. It's not the right path for modding to take.

I can't see the possible harm in a simple re-upload, here in the topic, while the link is broken and you haven't show up (and if the license allows). I prefer a community where people would do this for me if I'm needing the files, or If I had a problem with something I shared. A lot of mods I use are not maintained by the original authors, or only work in recent versions of KSP due to unofficial updates, I think this is a good path.

But it's your work, just choose a license that don't allow that if you think otherwise :)

14 hours ago, MaximumThrust said:

Well i do understand that balancing act but when im creating a spacecraft which has for example 120 different sorts of capaccitors or 12 reactors ( *COUGH* or both) then it becomes very annoying to handle all 120 capacitors/12reactors by hand

(especially if you are into efficiency/as much options as possible and mentally ill at the same time :D)

i mean i could use "only" stock batteries, solar panels, stock fuel cells, alkaline fuel cells and leave reactors and capacitors where they are and not use every possible method to achieve energy but then again

.../as much options as possible and mentally ill at the same time :D

Now i do heard a thing or two about smart parts but im afraid of (in order to create a proper setup) having to stick dozens of extra parts which have different functions to a craft that already has about ~1-1.5k parts instead of getting my hands on something as simple as a script that i may be able to configure by myself

then again im relatively new to scripting/mods like kos,smart parts and similar so maybe one or some of these might be the key of mine who knows?

Btw thanks for the hint im probably gonna take a proper look on smart parts one day :D

5 hours ago, KampfTomate007 said:

Well i do understand that balancing act but when im creating a spacecraft which has for example 120 different sorts of capaccitors or 12 reactors ( *COUGH* or both) then it becomes very annoying to handle all 120 capacitors/12reactors by hand

(especially if you are into efficiency/as much options as possible and mentally ill at the same time :D)

i mean i could use "only" stock batteries, solar panels, stock fuel cells, alkaline fuel cells and leave reactors and capacitors where they are and not use every possible method to achieve energy but then again

Now i do heard a thing or two about smart parts but im afraid of (in order to create a proper setup) having to stick dozens of extra parts which have different functions to a craft that already has about ~1-1.5k parts instead of getting my hands on something as simple as a script that i may be able to configure by myself

then again im relatively new to scripting/mods like kos,smart parts and similar so maybe one or some of these might be the key of mine who knows?

Btw thanks for the hint im probably gonna take a proper look on smart parts one day :D

Wow, are you trying to build a functional Death Star? :) I never used more than one reactor or more than 4-5 capacitors in the same ship, so for me the balance of the mod is interesting. I don't think smart parts will help you much with this one, but still a very useful mod that is worth knowing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.