Lifting heavy stuff

I'm wanting to construct my space station in space using mainly parts built in space using the Workshop mod, KIS/KAS etc but some parts require several kerbals. Is there some piece of equipment that would let me move things using less Kerbals?

I was going to suggest the Canadarm mod, but that doesn't look like it's working for everyone currently. Your best bet if that fails (other than a tug) might be building your own construction arm out of Infernal Robotics joints.

Alternately, if you're up for some config editing, I bet there's a variable defined in KIS somewhere that sets an individual Kerbal's part-movement weight. I think it defaults to 1 ton. Could ask in the mod thread if someone knows where to find that.

30 minutes ago, Jarin said:

Alternately, if you're up for some config editing, I bet there's a variable defined in KIS somewhere that sets an individual Kerbal's part-movement weight. I think it defaults to 1 ton. Could ask in the mod thread if someone knows where to find that.

If I'm not mistaken you can configure parts to contribute to weight limit. My suggestion its to ask about in the add-on discussions subforum

9 hours ago, Spricigo said:

Profit until everything starts to wobble and explode. 

OP asked for a alternative method to MOVE parts. I'm supposing he will attach said parts with KIS once in position.

Is very easy to have 10 kerbals on ladders near final part position, so no problem to attach a heavy part. Moving a heavy part more than few meters is the tricky thing (at least for me) and my solution works perfectly if you handle the part with care.  Once near the final attach position, where you previously put 10 kerbals waiting on ladders, attach the part and unplug the winches. Works even better with USI Konstruction parts as some of them give bonus to kerbals weight handling limit, but i didn't mention it because KIS/KAS were the only mods the OP explicitly mentioned.

2 hours ago, DoToH said:

OP asked for a alternative method to MOVE parts. I'm supposing he will attach said parts with KIS once in position.

Is very easy to have 10 kerbals on ladders near final part position, so no problem to attach a heavy part. Moving a heavy part more than few meters is the tricky thing (at least for me) and my solution works perfectly if you handle the part with care.  Once near the final attach position, where you previously put 10 kerbals waiting on ladders, attach the part and unplug the winches. Works even better with USI Konstruction parts as some of them give bonus to kerbals weight handling limit, but i didn't mention it because KIS/KAS were the only mods the OP explicitly mentioned.

And I felt that not mentioning that you method was for MOVING ONLY made your advice somewhat less clear. Considering what you didn’t said previously even the just retracting the winch fits the description of plugging the parts together.

Works even better with USI Konstruction parts as some of them give bonus to kerbals weight handling limit, but i didn't mention it because KIS/KAS were the only mods the OP explicitly mentioned.

This make no sense, he explicit asked:

22 hours ago, Noel32 said:

Is there some piece of equipment that would let me move things using less Kerbals?

I always make little tugs. Three docking ports and a claw in a cross shape, with a probe core, the largest RCS tank, a large reaction wheel, a 4K battery, some lights and a LOT of RCS thrusters. Draws power from whatever it is attached to, sometimes I put a couple of flat solar panels on it, just in case.

Can attach to anything and move it around. You can attach multiple tugs to a heavy piece that needs moving.

49 minutes ago, DoToH said:

Ok, @Spricigo you win.... better for him to follow your suggestion and go and ask in another place.

Maybe there was some minor mistake in how I read your previous post and  a small divergence about what we think may be relevant in OP's situation but definitively not a competition.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.