Better IVA for future updates

As an player with experience. (well I've recently started in the forum) this idea looks like it would ve nice to do in future updates. IVA looks awesome, you can move the throttle and had the experience as the Kerbal is there. But my idea is to move in the interior of the spaceship, for example. Imaginate a MK1-2 attached to a PPD-10 crew cabin and instead of simply transfer with the right click move the Kerbal in the interior opening the connection between the Xapsule and the crew cabin and then transfer it. Also interact items or with the Kerbal in Zero-G in the interior of the spaceship, so. SQUAD. Did you like that idea? Or someone of the development? Put it below in the comments :wink:. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I must admit this is on my wish list too.    If you've gone to the effort of putting more than a simple capsule in space, it'd be nice to be able to play around with this cool space vessel you made.    Being able to move around  the cabin and interact with items would be great,  and have the kerbals do autonomous actions when not controlled by the player .

For example, after collecting data from an instrument, the dialog might suggest you show your results to [Kerbal Name].  If you go up to the named Kerbal and show them the data, you get bonus science points.

Also, virtually every action of the astronauts was monitored back on Houston, in the name of science.   Scientists even wanted to know about their "restroom activities", hence the infamous "Apollo Bags" and the "bring it all back" policy.   Whilst I don't want to inflict our Kerbals with such horrors, using the space shower in high orbit/eating a snack  / doing other random hab related functions should all count as low grade science experiments.

Without turning KSP into a game of The Sims ofc...

IVAs seem to be a vast amount of effort for a very tiny return.

When I add a mod with IVAs, I tend to load of of them up and look at the IVA on the pad. In actual use, I sometimes load them up just because, or to make a (rare) screenshot. I'd estimate the % of play time where I'm in IVA at substantially less than 1%. When a new crew part is created, do you think the IVA takes more, or less time that 1% of the total for the part? I'm guessing rather a lot more than 1%.

To be honest, after moving my crew around their spacecraft once, maybe twice, I would most likely ignore this feature in favour of quick and easy right-click moving. And I say that as somebody who really likes the current cutaway views. It would also be a ton of work to implement and (much as I hate to use this argument) that developer time could be better spent elsewhere.

Basically, the interiors of some existing parts would need to be completely re-modeled to provide access routes for the crew and to make sure those access routes seamlessly match up to openings in the other parts. Taking this to its extreme, any inline part would need to be made hollow. Otherwise you'd face the somewhat immersion breaking prospect of opening the nose hatch on your Mk1-2 pod and having the exit blocked by the battery pack that you installed between the capsule and that nose-mounted shielded docking port.

Also, Unity does not handle hollow parts well due to the way colliders are implemented. If I recall correctly, the structural fuselage section (only example of a hollow part that springs to mind) needs a patchwork of separate colliders to make it work, which has a noticeable effect on performance. That's only going to get worse with more hollow parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.