FSmeshSwitch doubles down on Shaders?

Having an issue whereby the inclusion of FSmeshSwitch in a part seems to be applying a shader twice. Or that's my assumption. The part is visibly darker, and using previously vetted FStextureSwitch2 to switch through textures works, but they are all also visibly darker. 

Unity Hierarchy is 

GameObject

-Model

-AltModel (tagged "Icon_Hidden")

-collider

-collider

Now my first assumption was that the models shared a parent, and needed to be separated. So I tried dedicated .mu for each, but couldn't switch anymore. Interestingly enough, the model was still darker. This same material/shader is producing the intended results on an identical part that doesn't have FSmeshSwitch. 

Anybody have a clue what's going in here? I'm on my phone, or else I would given pics and the cfg. I can still do that, if necessary. 

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut

Update but still not right:

I realized that I had not referenced the alternate model in FSTextureSwitch MODULE, so changed that. So something like

objectNames = model;modelALT

And then I realized I might be able to workaround it so I dialed both shaders (KSP/Specular) down to 

_Opacity 0.5

In the hopes that if both were going to be visible, they could get along instead of overlapping. If it's of any importance, they share a material template. But nope. No visual difference. Meshes switch and so do textures, but the textures are very noticeably darkened to the point that features are hardly visible. 

Hi,  although it's not something i dont do often due to the limitations with colliders etc, the image below shows the usual set up and arrangement that works for me.

5 hours ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Update but still not right:

You must reference the mesh name not the model name you want to switch in order for it to work Ps if you want to test a working mesh switch i can send you the mod that contains the object below

vaLW8ES.png

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

19 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Mesh not model

Thanks for helping Spanner. Sorry, I used the wrong terminology. I think my dilemma might be better explained with pics:

hierarchy and partial config:

f2g2WZv.jpg

and the problem part is on the right. They are both set to the same texture currently:

j5V3HEO.jpg

Spoiler

EDIT: oops! Just realized you likely weren't pinged @SpannerMonkey(smce)

Just tried doing different module ID (both 0 & 1, and 1 & 2) for the two FS modules. No dice. I'm not so sure that matters, as the documentation 

Spoiler

name = FSmeshSwitch
// If there are multiple instances of this module in a part, they must each have a unique module ID to avoid conflicts
moduleID = 0

From here leads me to believe it's only necessary when using 2 of the same modules, ie.: FSTextureSwitch used twice in the same part cfg. 

I also just tried deleting the FStextureSwitch from the cfg, and it's still misbehaving. 

For the record, I'm doing a complete reboot, not a DB reload. And I'm deleting MM caches each time. (Edit: and and I just tried removing the offending part from PartDatabase.cfg )

1 hour ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:
  Reveal hidden contents

EDIT: oops! Just realized you likely weren't pinged @SpannerMonkey(smce)

Just tried doing different module ID (both 0 & 1, and 1 & 2) for the two FS modules. No dice. I'm not so sure that matters, as the documentation 

Reveal hidden contents

name = FSmeshSwitch
// If there are multiple instances of this module in a part, they must each have a unique module ID to avoid conflicts
moduleID = 0

From here leads me to believe it's only necessary when using 2 of the same modules, ie.: FSTextureSwitch used twice in the same part cfg. 

I also just tried deleting the FStextureSwitch from the cfg, and it's still misbehaving. 

For the record, I'm doing a complete reboot, not a DB reload. And I'm deleting MM caches each time. (Edit: and and I just tried removing the offending part from PartDatabase.cfg )

Grasping at straws here, how did you create your colliders? did you create meshes and forget to delete the mesh render for the collider?  Or is there a bump/normal map, is it set right in unity?,

1 minute ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Grasping at straws here, how did you create your colliders? did you create meshes and forget to delete the mesh render for the collider?  Or is there a bump/normal map, is it set right in unity?,

I think I see what your getting at. 

Colliders created in Unity. Right click the model>add empty>add component>physics>capsule collider. Width set to .05 (don't ask) length set appropriate. Angle as needed with local parameters. Repeat as necessary. NOT set as triggers. 

Bump/normal maps: haven't pulled one off yet, so certainly not. material is png texture. shader is KSP Specular, currently opacity 1.0, but I've tried others (noted above). Shininess .03. 

If that doesn't do anything for you, then I think I'll be starting one from nil, see if I can repeat from completely clean slate. it's gonna suck if every one of these damn things does this haha. 50 models, or so. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.