[1.3.0] [Kopernicus] Interstellar Adventure Revived v1.2.9 - A Taste of the Upcoming Grand Update! [18August17]

ProtoJeb21

Thank You for the reply, I got it to work and now I'm excited to travel to new planets! however, I do have a question about lich, Is it suppose to be very white, spinning really fast and have boxes of what looks like the sections in the VAB and alternating white and black rings? I don't know how to post a picture on here other than Imgur, if you need a picture I can add one tomorrow

Edit: Nevermind, I just read the description, cool idea but the boxes spewing out kind of ruins the idea.

Edited by MrChittyChad

24 minutes ago, MrChittyChad said:

Nevermind, I just read the description, cool idea but the boxes spewing out kind of ruins the idea.

That's voltage. Lich is a pulsar, so it's jets of energy are visible. The little *boxes* are for effect

I've come to understand that star light curvatures may affect the tracking of solar panels. Wanted to let you know i'm using the 1.2.2 version of your mod for Koppernicus and all the tracking solar panels are having tracking issues. I don't know if these two are related, but I thought I'd let you know just in case, just make sure the panels are tracking right for 1.3

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

8 hours ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

Confirmed, solar panels are pointing incorrectly on Koppernicus using Interstellar Adventure. Behavior ceases when IA is removed.

This Behavior is because the solar panels want to track every light source. This is why when its completely dark, and it says "Direct Sunlight" or it has more than 100% percent exposure. just a bug with Kopernicus solar panels and multiple light sources.

6 minutes ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

This mod sort of requires Koppernicus though doesn't it?

Yes, of course! Just a weird thing with kopernicus. Retract anf extend the solar panels if you want to fix it when it happens.

2 hours ago, Cabbink said:

Yes, of course! Just a weird thing with kopernicus. Retract anf extend the solar panels if you want to fix it when it happens.

That doesn't "fix" it. I've tried this repeatedly and the panel extend/contract is an obvious thing to try to fix the problem and trust me, I've been rigorously trying to resolve this for about a week now. I've shut and re-opened the same panels about 20 times, sometimes even switching craft between modes. It doesn't do anything to the bugged state.The panels might work for 5 seconds, sometimes they don't work at all and they definitely stop working again after a single orbit.  The most common thing they do is point out into deep space exactly away from the sun without aiming at  apparently anything in the distance.

The game is seriously broken when other stars are present. The curator of IA might want to get with the Koppernicus curators and figure out what's causing this because if the behavior continues in the 1.3 release it will still make this mod practically unusable with solar panels other than the fixed variety. They say they have no tracking issues, and after I've played without IA this appears to be true, but there are no other stars present to validate. I just know it stops as soon as IA is gone.

I would love to use this mod, and even feature it on the stream I do each evening, but I can't when it breaks key elements of game play merely by being present.

@Cabbink Thanks for keeping this thread going while I didn't have the time!

@JPGSP This mod does work with KSP 1.3, but you need to use the latest version of Kopernicus to do so. The reason it's taking long for an update to KSP 1.3 is because of how much work needs to be done on, basically, everything.

@Khatharr I actually have never used CKAN before, although I thought I did upload it to both SpaceDock and CKAN. Maybe it was with KerbalStuff. I'll try to get the next version on CKAN.

@Maelstrom Vortex I've encountered this solar panel issue before. In fact, it actually doomed my Go-Everywhere-Vessel mission. For now I recommend using the RTG power generators until I can figure out how to fix it.

Now, time for the new stuff: I've been taking a break from KSP to enjoy the outdoors, since I spent most of the first half of my summer vacation indoors. However, that doesn't mean I didn't make any progress with the TRAPPIST-1 system. Most objects have had their semi-major axes, masses, orbital inclinations, and eccentricities updated to the newer data reported in spring. As of right now, Irene is 99% complete, with Theros, Eiar, and Cheimon recently being re-textured. I still have to work on Auxo, Thallo, and Carphos. However, I'm not too sure about changing Thallo's texture, because new temperature estimates done by the Planetary Habitability Laboratory show that it isn't as hot or close to being a small Venus analogue as previously thought. It seems more likely that instead of an eyeball planet like THIS, Thallo would have a rather even mixture of forests and deserts on its front side. 

I have also updated TRAPPIST-1's light color. The previous one was too deep red to see much color on the planets from space. I'm now going for more of a cheery red-orange color, similar to that of the NASA renditions of the system. I will also have to change the colors of the two other red dwarfs, Amphion and K2-3, to make sure they are not equal in light color to TRAPPIST-1. Amphion will be a brighter red, while K2-3 will be close to orange due to it being about as large as a red dwarf can get before becoming an orange dwarf. In fact, it is the second-largest main sequence red dwarf in existence!

13 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

@Cabbink Thanks for keeping this thread going while I didn't have the time!

@JPGSP This mod does work with KSP 1.3, but you need to use the latest version of Kopernicus to do so. The reason it's taking long for an update to KSP 1.3 is because of how much work needs to be done on, basically, everything.

@Khatharr I actually have never used CKAN before, although I thought I did upload it to both SpaceDock and CKAN. Maybe it was with KerbalStuff. I'll try to get the next version on CKAN.

@Maelstrom Vortex I've encountered this solar panel issue before. In fact, it actually doomed my Go-Everywhere-Vessel mission. For now I recommend using the RTG power generators until I can figure out how to fix it.

Now, time for the new stuff: I've been taking a break from KSP to enjoy the outdoors, since I spent most of the first half of my summer vacation indoors. However, that doesn't mean I didn't make any progress with the TRAPPIST-1 system. Most objects have had their semi-major axes, masses, orbital inclinations, and eccentricities updated to the newer data reported in spring. As of right now, Irene is 99% complete, with Theros, Eiar, and Cheimon recently being re-textured. I still have to work on Auxo, Thallo, and Carphos. However, I'm not too sure about changing Thallo's texture, because new temperature estimates done by the Planetary Habitability Laboratory show that it isn't as hot or close to being a small Venus analogue as previously thought. It seems more likely that instead of an eyeball planet like THIS, Thallo would have a rather even mixture of forests and deserts on its front side. 

I have also updated TRAPPIST-1's light color. The previous one was too deep red to see much color on the planets from space. I'm now going for more of a cheery red-orange color, similar to that of the NASA renditions of the system. I will also have to change the colors of the two other red dwarfs, Amphion and K2-3, to make sure they are not equal in light color to TRAPPIST-1. Amphion will be a brighter red, while K2-3 will be close to orange due to it being about as large as a red dwarf can get before becoming an orange dwarf. In fact, it is the second-largest main sequence red dwarf in existence!

I think your best bet in solving the whole solar pointing issue is sit down and talk with the folks over at Koppernicus and figure out how they orient panels and try to work from that. It's obvious the two aren't talking to each other correctly in some manner.

The kopernicus guys know about the issue. Whether it can be fixed or not, I don't know, but the last few kopernicus updates have practically revolved around trying to get multiple stars to work together. It's been a very tricky situation, as ksp does not support multiple stars natively, so they are having to figure it out on their own. There is nothing that can be done current to fix the issue, unfortunately, and a new kopernicus release doesn't seem to be coming any time soon :/ it sucks. All we can do is wait though

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

The kopernicus guys know about the issue. Whether it can be fixed or not, I don't know, but the last few kopernicus updates have practically revolved around trying to get multiple stars to work together. It's been a very tricky situation, as ksp does not support multiple stars natively, so they are having to figure it out on their own. There is nothing that can be done current to fix the issue, unfortunately, and a new kopernicus release doesn't seem to be coming any time soon :/ it sucks. All we can do is wait though

I don't know enough of the code to try it myself, but I assume stars are represented by an XYZ position relative to the Sun. Shouldn't it then be as simple as determining the absolute summed difference between the craft and the star's XYZ co-ordinates, multiply that by the relative inverse magnitude of the given star (for energy output comparison purposes) and then pointing at the star that had the lowest distance calculation? Once you had angle for the nearest star by magnitude you could then calculate power output based on distance times luminosity?

It sounds like this is a math problem, I can do the math if someone else can do the code.

Something along the lines of 

StarX - CraftX = RelativeX 
StarY - CraftY = RelativeY
StarZ - CraftZ = RelativeZ

abs(RelativeX) + abs(RelativeY) + abs(RelativeZ) = |Relative Distance(StarA)|

If RelativeDistance(StarA) > RelativeDistance(StarB) 

point(StarB);

(do this comparison for all star relative distances til the one with he shortest route is evaluated in a string of else-ifs)

And my geometry is kind of weak so I looked for information on a solution to eular rotations on stack overflow which gave the following formula set that someone may want to try:

rotx = Math.atan2( y, z );
 if (z >= 0) {
    roty = -Math.atan2( x * Math.cos(rotx), z );
 }else{
    roty = Math.atan2( x * Math.cos(rotx), -z );
 }

Source article: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1251828/calculate-rotations-to-look-at-a-3d-point

Nother reference regarding facings, but adding all the calcs here would consume a lot of space so I'll leave it to the author: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/NormalVector.html

But basically, determining the best star by distance and magnitude should be relatively trivial, after that it's just the geometry of the facing from the craft's position relative to the star.

MORE TRAPPIST-1 OVERHAULS:

THEROS:

qN5DAeb.png

EIAR:

6jtUuf0.png

CHEIMON:

Lt8IF5V.png

I still have more tweaking with atmospheric hazes and star light color to do, along with the overhauls of the other Trappist planets. Also, I will not be able to finish the work I want to do on the other systems before I leave for South Carolina, so this week I will upload a PRE-RELEASE of 1.3, titled 1.2.9, to Space Dock. It won't be the finished version 1.3 - not by a long shot - so expect a few bugs that will be fixed later.

I just did another clean install of ksp and this mod is causing an access violation and crashing the game. I first installed Kopernicius and booted up the game, and it worked fine. I then installed this mod and the main menu came up correctly but crashed the game instantly upon trying to start a new game. Is the spacedock download the current version of this mod?

1 hour ago, zachdogg said:

I just did another clean install of ksp and this mod is causing an access violation and crashing the game. I first installed Kopernicius and booted up the game, and it worked fine. I then installed this mod and the main menu came up correctly but crashed the game instantly upon trying to start a new game. Is the spacedock download the current version of this mod?

The crash was probably caused by how huge the mod is (over 300 kigabytes). Did you run it with KSP x64 bit?

PRE-RELEASE 1.2.9 UPLOADED TO SPACEDOCK

This update includes all the features so far completed for the Grand Update of 1.3.0. This means that there are likely many bugs and unfinished things, so just be patient and enjoy the plethora of features currently in it. I will not be able to work on this mod for the next few weeks. This is due to my vacation to North/South Carolina, the 2017 Eclipse, and the busy end-of-summer schedule.

36 minutes ago, emerald said:

820MB :o Thatsa lotta stars 'n' planets :o 

Thanks alot for the prerelease!

820 megs? I thought it was only around 400!!!

(maybe I should start using .dds files. I heard they take up a lot less space)

Yesterday, Kopernicus updated to 1.3.0-5 from 1.3.0-4.  Since that time my main menu screen is completely black and i have to alt-tab and kill KSP.. over on the Kopernicus thread people are reporting a lot of problems with 1.3.0-5 and everyone is saying that the planet packs need to rebuild against the new version to fix this.  Is the 1.2.9 release compatible with kopernicus 1.3.0-5 ?

update: no, it isn't.  CKAN is already installing 1.2.9 and the bug is still present.  I did try removing the main menu modulemanager patch that changes the background planet, that did not help.  Uninstalling Kopernicus/this mod fixes the problem.  Reinstalling it brings the problem back.  However my current save is heavily dependent upon this mod being present, so I can't play atm.. is this something you know about @ProtoJeb21 ?

Edited by ss8913

3 hours ago, ss8913 said:

Yesterday, Kopernicus updated to 1.3.0-5 from 1.3.0-4.  Since that time my main menu screen is completely black and i have to alt-tab and kill KSP.. over on the Kopernicus thread people are reporting a lot of problems with 1.3.0-5 and everyone is saying that the planet packs need to rebuild against the new version to fix this.  Is the 1.2.9 release compatible with kopernicus 1.3.0-5 ?

update: no, it isn't.  CKAN is already installing 1.2.9 and the bug is still present.  I did try removing the main menu modulemanager patch that changes the background planet, that did not help.  Uninstalling Kopernicus/this mod fixes the problem.  Reinstalling it brings the problem back.  However my current save is heavily dependent upon this mod being present, so I can't play atm.. is this something you know about @ProtoJeb21 ?

I wasn't aware of any huge issues with 1.3.0-5, and there's no way I can fix the mod anytime soon to be compatible with the latest Kopernicus version. Just use 1.3.0-4 for now, which is the version pre-packaged with IA-Revived.

3 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I wasn't aware of any huge issues with 1.3.0-5, and there's no way I can fix the mod anytime soon to be compatible with the latest Kopernicus version. Just use 1.3.0-4 for now, which is the version pre-packaged with IA-Revived.

yeah, 1.3.0-4 works fine.  update to 1.3.0-5 and it's 100% game breaking.  Not sure why.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.