KSP Weekly: Per aspera ad astra

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_okgtxvBWKQ1rr2wit_540.png

Welcome to KSP Weekly, everyone! Today and tomorrow are marked by the anniversaries of two tragedies within the aerospace history: these being the Apollo I and the Challenger Shuttle disasters, respectively. Both shocked the world and generated doubt and fear about the place of humankind among the stars. These were not, nor will be the last missteps of our way towards the firmament, but we have persevered and the ultimate sacrifice of these brave heroes is a testament of our will to reach for greatness, despite of the hardships the road may lay ahead of us. This idea is beautifully summarized in a latin phrase most of you have probably seen: “Per aspera ad astra” or in other words, “through hardships to the stars”. Let’s never be discouraged of our goals and let us always reach for the stars. But we’re here to talk about everything Kerbal, so without further ado, let’s begin.

QA team this week has been at work, as localization support continues to be tested, reviewed, and revised where necessary. Testing has focused on a few things in this area, particularly keyboard layouts and testing of the elements that were complete but were awaiting feedback. We have been looking for overflowing text fields, kerning/spacing issues, missing text, layout errors, that sort of thing, as well as spotting and reporting other UI bugs. We’d like to give a special shoutout to our team of language volunteers who are doing a great job with correcting errors, ensuring that the unique and subtle kerbal humor is preserved. Bug fixes throughout the game have continued (this week we looked at science transmissions), with special emphasis placed on those relevant to localizations.

Our dear colleague, sal_vager wrote this poem to express his sentiment for the tasks he’s been involved with lately:

Testing keyboqrd lqyouts

Qlzqys forget to szitch

Hqve to pqy qttention

So I donùt type like this1

We’ve had so many people volunteering for Chinese localization testing that poor JPLRepo’s inbox has been overwhelmed. Unfortunately, JPLRepo can’t reply to them all, but we’d like to thank all those that volunteered to help. We now have more than enough people to help with the Chinese localization. Now, just as we were looking for Chinese speakers before, we are looking for Russian natives who are willing to lend us a hand to ensure the quality of the localization. If you are interested, please contact us at [email protected] with the subject “Russian Localization Help”.

On the development front, the team has mainly been focused on localization and what comes after that, but they’ve also spent some time in between to fix a few known bugs. Most notably: the priority of Science Containers has been changed so that they move science from experiments before other Science Containers. Similarly, the MPL Science Lab was changed so that it now only functions with scientists on board (it is currently working even if you have just a tourist inside!). We also encountered an issue where the .cfg files were getting loaded in different states of the game. Gladly it was sorted out! For localization the UI bugs are piling up as we face the challenge of different text and languages fitting into the KSP User Interface.

In other respects, the Loud and Clear update for consoles is coming along nicely. Our friends from Blitworks are doing a fantastic job. This update will include many improvements we’re sure console players will enjoy.

The art team has been working on localizations too, notably on Japanese and Simplified Chinese, as we showed you in a previous edition of KSP Weekly. We are checking every part of the game, including KSPedia, for which Japanese translation is complete and Chinese conversion is ongoing.

We also want to take this opportunity to introduce you to the newest member of the ever growing KSP team, our new PR Manager, Artemisa, who borrowed her nickname from the Greek mythology goddess, has almost ten years of experience working primarily in videogames press, in websites and in print magazines. And in the last few years, Digital Marketing has given her extra work. When she is not playing video games, you will find her watching movies or tv series or eating tacos. Some of her favorite videogames series include Metal Gear Solid, The Legend of Zelda and Persona. Welcome to the team Artemisa!

Finally we are very happy about how the Kerbal Spice Program contest is coming out. We received really cool and impressive entries and now it’s time to vote for your favorite. Click here to vote!

The winner will be announced on Monday, January 31st. Good luck to all participants!

That’s it for this week. Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Stay tuned for more exciting and upcoming news!

Happy launchings!

Hey, I got here first for once!

19 minutes ago, SQUAD said:

Similarly, the MPL Science Lab was changed so that it now only functions with scientists on board (it is currently working even if you have just a tourist inside!).

Awesome!  It did seem a little weird not needing a scientist on board.

Edited by Just Jim

All of KSP team, thanks for your hard work this week.

I hope this advanced game will make a more expansion through promotions and marketings be released by new PR manager. Welcome, Artemisa!

And I enjoyed the event K"Spice"P greatly. Since KSP is attractive crafting and traveling and Kerbals, I hope that events will be held taking advantage of its charm in the future.

Wishing for the universe prosperous!

Edited by EBOSHI

It's good to hear that KSP will be available in so many different languages in the near future.  Aerospace enthusiasts, students, teachers, and space program employees from around the world will be able to enjoy the KSP-addiction and creating fresh craters around the KSC grounds. :cool:

Yes, so many new players will be able to make jokes about the cracked planets in all the different languages Kappa

Seriously, can we get a confirmation that this will be fixed in the next update finally, please?

Edited by Kamuchi

How is the localization of the Kerbal naming system going? It occurs to me it might be useful to have a separate option for the language of Kerbal names only--it might be fun to have (for instance) a Russian-style space program where all the Kerbals get Kerb-Russian names without having to set the entire game to Russian to make it happen. 

5 hours ago, /not/pol/ said:

... SQUAD Turning Flat earth on us?

yeah!  what on earth?  ..... or rather - what on flat earth???  the firmament?!  i strive to be tolerant but this little doozy is hard to let slip through the cracks.  

29 minutes ago, something said:

I guess the super secret fun stuff everybody will like is mod support for further languages...

SQUAD - your staff interject when we all complain, because apparently we're full of too much "salt".  So here's some objectivity for you guys :  Your devnotes used to be awesome, full of information and that's why KSP fans loved it.  Now, your "KSP weekly" pretty much sucks and everyone knows it.  Basically, your doing a reeeaaally wonderful  job of creating a reeeaaally boring PR exercise.  Wow, how to lose support of a large part of the community in a matter of a few months.  I hope you do have something up your sleeves as this is just bullocks. Week after week of mindless cr*p.  

Can someone say "L O C A L I S A T I O N"

Edited by Maars

Why not just make next weeks weekly "Nothing much happened, more of the same" if that is the reality and save us all a load of time?

Every week I hope there will be more than "Localisation, minor bug fix, that is all." and every week I am disappointed.

IMO the best course of action would be to just open up the API to the remainder of the internal hard coded variables so people who actually care can carry on working on the game through mods...

You could still do polish and marketing as well if you want because it seems to be your only aim these days.

55 minutes ago, John FX said:

Why not just make next weeks weekly "Nothing much happened, more of the same" if that is the reality and save us all a load of time?

Every week I hope there will be more than "Localisation, minor bug fix, that is all." and every week I am disappointed.

IMO the best course of action would be to just open up the API to the remainder of the internal hard coded variables so people who actually care can carry on working on the game through mods...

You could still do polish and marketing as well if you want because it seems to be your only aim these days.

If it's going to be the same thing over and over why even bother wasting time to post KSP Weeklies?

14 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Most notably: the priority of Science Containers has been changed so that they move science from experiments before other Science Containers.

Yay! Science containers become much more useful!

Question: will we also be allowed to transfer science to the lab and pods?  Currently this can only be done manually by a Kerbal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.