KSP Weekly: Per aspera ad astra

SQUAD

5 hours ago, Maars said:

Your devnotes used to be awesome, full of information and that's why KSP fans loved it.  Now, your "KSP weekly" pretty much sucks and everyone knows it.  Basically, your doing a reeeaaally wonderful  job of creating a reeeaaally boring PR exercise.  

4 hours ago, John FX said:

Why not just make next weeks weekly "Nothing much happened, more of the same" if that is the reality and save us all a load of time?

3 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

If it's going to be the same thing over and over why even bother wasting time to post KSP Weeklies?

Would you all rather that Squad stops making updates, stops working on the game all together? IMO a little news is better than no news. 

Don't forget that they don't owe us anything more than what the game currently is. 

4 hours ago, John FX said:

Why not just make next weeks weekly "Nothing much happened, more of the same" if that is the reality and save us all a load of time?

Every week I hope there will be more than "Localisation, minor bug fix, that is all." and every week I am disappointed.

IMO the best course of action would be to just open up the API to the remainder of the internal hard coded variables so people who actually care can carry on working on the game through mods...

You could still do polish and marketing as well if you want because it seems to be your only aim these days.

I still firmly believe it has everything to do with the mass exodus of devs that left.

6 hours ago, Maars said:

yeah!  what on earth?  ..... or rather - what on flat earth???  the firmament?!  i strive to be tolerant but this little doozy is hard to let slip through the cracks.

It's merely a poetic form of speech. I mean really, would you also get so upset if they had used the word "heavens" despite the even more explicit religious connotation? Let's pick our battles here. I for one found it charming.

12 hours ago, /not/pol/ said:

... SQUAD Turning Flat earth on us?

They also mention “reaching for the stars,” using the same logic the new feature is an interstellar option, right?

Or it's just a way of saying things. What do you think?

Edited by Kerbart

It appears: 1) Localization is far more labor intensive than most of us would have guessed. 2) People in general are fairly self-centered (not a complaint just an observation) and since localization doesn't affect them, they're not interested. 3) The impression some have is that nothing worthwhile is being done. 4) Complaints follow - many of which do more harm than any intended good. 5) If the super secret stuff ends up being a fix of the seams, an art pass on the planets/moons, or even some new rocket parts, I'll be ecstatic. 5) If not, hey, I've got my money's worth.

Thanks Squad for the game as it stands today. Looking forward to the future. 

Hm ok another update about other languanges in ksp and some other sidestuff.

Languages are fortunate for many new players but not enough for the old ones...

I know how hard language is but...

Newsflash:

"The hype train needs some flesh on his bones!

Without it will come to a grinding halt and that is something nobody wants..."

(Cause much steam is needed to get it going again and for the hype train flesh on his bones is what coals are for a normal steam engine...)

Squad some flesh on the bones would be much appreciated.

This two cents from my perspective.

Edited by Nightmare

I wish you would all give Squad a break. They're working on localisation, getting the new devs up to speed, fixing bugs, and listening to people whine about them on the fourms. You know who you are. Squad isn't going to quit on us, so please, give them a break. They're working their hardest and I know they will not disappoint us. Patience is key here, guys.

Next week on KSP weekly 2018: LOCALIZATION - Part 100 (plus bonus news about no information about super secret thing!)

sigh...

Oh and by the way, the last sentence of the first paragraph should have been a paragraph itself so that it did not detract from a very nice opening dedication. As it stands, it's just seems like a typical unsympathitic repurposing of an important historical event in support of capitalist marketing. 

Edited by Wallygator

23 hours ago, SQUAD said:

We have been looking for overflowing text fields, kerning/spacing issues, missing text, layout errors, that sort of thing.

In other words, the fiddly 'last 5%' detail work that most people don't even notice if it's done right but makes the game look sloppy if it's done wrong. Thanks, Squad for taking the time to get this right and thanks for the update.

Just a suggestion:

It's become pretty apparent to quite a few people here what they're going to find when they open up a KSP Weekly thread.  Simply put, If you don't like what Squad is saying, don't bother to read the thread.  It's not likely to change.  It's the way it is now.  Stop your damn whining about it and go do something else for a while instead, because y'all are cluttering up a perfectly good discussion space to say that you don't like the discussion.

Edited by razark

1 hour ago, razark said:

Just a suggestion:

It's become pretty apparent to quite a few people here what they're going to find when they open up a KSP Weekly thread.  Simply put, If you don't like what Squad is saying, don't bother to read the thread.  It's not likely to change.  It's the way it is now.  Stop your damn whining about it and go do something else for a while instead, because y'all are cluttering up a perfectly good discussion space to say that you don't like the discussion.

If it's the same thing over and over again then what is there to discuss?

23 minutes ago, razark said:

If it's the same thing over and over, why is there new the same whining about it every week?

Most of the time, the people who complain the most are the ones who care the most.

As an aside: this attitude that "if you don't like it, then go away" is horrendously flawed. Without dissent, there is nothing to hold one accountable, nothing to motivate one for greater achievement, and nothing to indicate success or failure. Not saying one isn't able to hold oneself up to standards, but without that safety net.... Not only that, but it doesn't really hold much weight when you consider that it could very easily be turned around and applied to your post.

Don't like all the whining? Why don't you just stop reading the devnotes then?
It works both ways.

There is a good reason for all this general "doomsday" feeling floating around right now and it certainly didn't start with these new devs. These feelings have been growing for a long time and now that we had "the great departure of 2016" with 80-90% of key developers and other personnel leaving, a lot of people are finding those feelings validated.

I can say with relative certainty that no one is blaming the new devs. We get it. They need time to learn how to KSP and they're sort of in an unfair position where the previous devs left rather large shoes to fill. But there is a lot of worry going around and not a lot of reassurance on Squad's part. Add to that that every week seems to be more of the "there's a serious problem here, but we're not going to talk about it. Have some localization info instead," and yeah, it doesn't help.

We care about KSP and it's community and we don't want to see it die. Telling people to speak only about sunshine and butterfly farts when the ship is taking on water is only hurting everyone.

Anyway, my core point is this: Telling people to go away is not solving the main issue which is a lack of meaningful communication. One could argue that Squad doesn't owe us that luxury, and they would be correct, but since Squad has taken it upon themselves to keep this line open, the responsibility then falls onto them to make it worthwhile. Otherwise if Squad is no longer willing to seriously entertain the KSP Weekly posts, then they need to stop leading their own community on and discontinue it.

We just want a little reassurance is all. And I don't think that's an unreasonable request.

54 minutes ago, Greenfire32 said:

As an aside: this attitude that "if you don't like it, then go away" is horrendously flawed.

Then think of it more as "If you're going to continuously whine about the same crap, don't.  We've heard it, and doing it again is not going to get you what you want."

55 minutes ago, Greenfire32 said:

Without dissent, there is nothing...

It's not dissent.  It's constant whining about not getting what they want.

56 minutes ago, Greenfire32 said:

Don't like all the whining? Why don't you just stop reading the devnotes then?
It works both ways.

Oddly enough, I come here to read about the KSP Weekly (it's not dev notes.  Hasn't been for a long time.) post, and to read what people have to say about it.  Sadly, it seems people keep cross-posting from the "Complaints about Squad" thread.  Those posts should go in that thread, not this one.

58 minutes ago, Greenfire32 said:

There is a good reason for all this general "doomsday" feeling floating around right now and it certainly didn't start with these new devs. These feelings have been growing for a long time and now that we had "the great departure of 2016" with 80-90% of key developers and other personnel leaving, a lot of people are finding those feelings validated.

While I agree with much of this, I disagree that this thread is the location for that discussion.

1 hour ago, Greenfire32 said:

Telling people to speak only about sunshine and butterfly farts when the ship is taking on water is only hurting everyone.

Again, I agree.  Complaining "Hey, why don't you say something about Specific Bug Reference, instead of about how many people volunteered for language help?" is valid.  It's a perfectly fine response to what Squad is saying.  However, "Dev notes too short; not enough about all the things I want to hear about; I miss the old format" is not.  That crap has gotten old, and it's not going to help anything.

Go ahead and ask Squad about the game, tell them all about the things you want fixed, and what color they should paint the wheels on their rovers.  But if you don't like the way they communicate, go start a "I want to complain about the way Squad communicates" thread if you have those concerns.

Anyway, my core point is this: Telling people to go away is not solving the main issue which is a lack of meaningful communication.

I bought some bread from the bakery at the grocery store.  I was quite disappointed to find that it was moldy when I got it home.  So I went back to the store, walked up to the guy stocking shelves, and told him all my complaints.  All he said was "There's nothing I can do for you.  This isn't really the place for those sort of complaints, and all you're doing is making a scene and not getting your concerns addressed.  Perhaps if you take your complaint to the correct department, you'll see a better response and quicker resolution."

We just want a little reassurance is all. And I don't think that's an unreasonable request.

I want a billion dollars.  And I don't think that's an unreasonable request.  However, screaming at the carrots isn't going to get me any closer to that goal, but buying a printing press might.

7 hours ago, razark said:

Just a suggestion:

Agree, but only if we all also subscribe to the notion that children should never be disciplined :wink:

On a more serious note... If we don't agree with squad, and therefore don't read the thread, then how would we continue to know if we agreed or disagree with squad?

Logic is a thing - although very recently alternative logic seems to be bullish at the moment. (Sorry couldn't help myself)

Note: I appreciate your 5 dots and number of posts greatly exceed mine, but regardless, constructive open discussion, debate, criticism and civil discourse should never be quelled or suppressed (including sarcasm - even if it is considered the lowest form of humour according to some. I prefer to consider "lowest" as inferring the utter "foundation" of all humour).  THIS is what makes for a "Perfectly good discussion space".

TL;DR: I disagree with you. I feel Squad's current communication paradigm must be constructively disrupted, influenced by (and for) customers and subsequently improved with continuous monitoring.

5 hours ago, razark said:

I bought some bread from the bakery at the grocery store.  I was quite disappointed to find that it was moldy when I got it home.  So I went back to the store, walked up to the guy stocking shelves,

maybe you should have started with the dude sweeping the floor? (ok that was a joke!)

But seriously and in the context of this small discussion - let us extend the mouldy bread metaphor to a piece of software or service, say "Squad and KSP".  The primary channel for communicating displeasure with KSP or any related aspects of its support or development is what?  Calling up a specific coder at Squad?  Writing a letter to the people who clean the office after hours?  No, it is using this channel (the forum) to conduct discussion and posit suggestions and criticisms.

Go ahead and ask Squad about the game, tell them all about the things you want fixed, and what color they should paint the wheels on their rovers.  But if you don't like the way they communicate, go start a "I want to complain about the way Squad communicates" thread if you have those concerns.

And when any governing body says you can only protest in a specific out of the way ketteled location... that is totally acceptable also? Seriously?

I do not like the way Squad is communicating IN THIS THREAD.  I believe it is every customers right to therefore make such complaints in this thread and also to draw connections to other areas as well so as to make their point clear, amplified, and sufficient.

I also believe that totalitarian/authoritarian edicts do not improve customer relations or approval ratings.

Edited by Wallygator
Schpelling

8 hours ago, razark said:

Just a suggestion:

Umm. Now, where else have I seen this "believe what I believe or go away" attitude recently?

Dissent is important, but unconstructive complaining achieves nothing. I am not bothered by the dissent in and of itself, but the nasty tone of some of it is getting on my nerves. 

I would also like to hear more specifics from Squad, even if the specifics are "current project is localization, don't expect anything else in next update." That would honestly make sense from a financial standpoint (localization opens up new markets and potentially creates new sales in a way fixing rover-killing terrain seams does not), and frankly would be fine with me. 

Frankly, as far as I'm concerned I got my forty bucks' worth with 1.2. It's not perfect, far from it, but if Squad dropped off the face of the Earth tomorrow I'd still be left with an extremely fun (and eminently moddable) game to put many hundreds more hours into. Any additional improvements, while appreciated, are, as they say, icing on the cake. 

I bought some bread from the bakery at the grocery store.  I was quite disappointed to find that it was moldy when I got it home.  So I went back to the store, walked up to the guy stocking shelves, and told him all my complaints.  All he said was "There's nothing I can do for you.  This isn't really the place for those sort of complaints, and all you're doing is making a scene and not getting your concerns addressed.  Perhaps if you take your complaint to the correct department, you'll see a better response and quicker resolution."

If you bought mouldy bread at the shop you should be able to address your concerns with any employee working in any department. The company is at fault so you are taking up your concerns with the company by talking to any employee.

I would use the company complaints procedure about any employee who basically told me they were not going to help when I told them their bread was mouldy.

37 minutes ago, Hotaru said:

Dissent is important, but unconstructive complaining achieves nothing. I am not bothered by the dissent in and of itself, but the nasty tone of some of it is getting on my nerves. 

I would also like to hear more specifics from Squad, even if the specifics are "current project is localization, don't expect anything else in next update." That would honestly make sense from a financial standpoint (localization opens up new markets and potentially creates new sales in a way fixing rover-killing terrain seams does not), and frankly would be fine with me. 

Frankly, as far as I'm concerned I got my forty bucks' worth with 1.2. It's not perfect, far from it, but if Squad dropped off the face of the Earth tomorrow I'd still be left with an extremely fun (and eminently moddable) game to put many hundreds more hours into. Any additional improvements, while appreciated, are, as they say, icing on the cake. 

I agree, and would like to add that it is nasty tones on both sides (the dissent side and the "stop dissenting" side) that pollute the constructive nature of debate. (That's probably exactly what you meant = sorry to repeat)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.