[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

On 8/18/2021 at 7:58 PM, Al2Me6 said:

That is in fact an RP-1 question and not an RO question.

Regardless, the answer is: since a few versions ago, there is no uncrewed science to be gained below 40km altitude. The only flying low science on Earth are the crewed supersonic experiments. This was done to discourage flying a Cessna around to take pictures, since that doesn't make sense.

I think RGV Aerial Photography @RGVaerialphotos would disagree with that but it makes sense game-wise.

On 8/19/2021 at 4:40 PM, mcwaffles2003 said:

You don't recover science after landing, it is constantly transmitted if you have an antenna and that antenna is turned on. Also, many basic science experiments (thermometry and barometry) are worth no science on earth in different biomes. To get science while flying biome to biome I believe starts with photography.

Thanks for the answers, I have been launching biological and photography on  high flying sounding rockets to get science since those had value.

4 minutes ago, Giancarlo Kerman said:

would an RO patch for S.O.C.K be possible?

just a general question as I am too stupid to create a patch of my own

I believe one is in the works. This GitHub branch contains some WIP configs. 

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/tree/SOCKConfigs

3 minutes ago, Russekof71 said:

Hello, I have installed RSS / RO to be able to play in a career. But the problem is that when I go to my career part and that I go to the VAB while I have barely started my part I have access to all the engines. How can I fix this problem thank you.

fJx8LRw.png

To play career with RO you need to use the RP-1 mod.

Hello I am currently playing 1.12.2 and wanted to install RSS/RO/RP-1 But I don't know how to make a new installation without messing mine
I currently have all my mods in a zip I made to share it with a friend and have a all my saves in google drive for back up 
How do I make a new install in 1.10? (playing through steam btw) 
Also I would like to avoid reinstalling the game at any point

Edited by Kapitalizing Every Word

1 hour ago, Kapitalizing Every Word said:

Hello I am currently playing 1.12.2 and wanted to install RSS/RO/RP-1 But I don't know how to make a new installation without messing mine
I currently have all my mods in a zip I made to share it with a friend and have a all my saves in google drive for back up 
How do I make a new install in 1.10? (playing through steam btw) 
Also I would like to avoid reinstalling the game at any point

You definitely need 1.10.1 (or some earlier versions).  From you Steam Library, right click on Kerbal Space Program->Properties->Betas and select 1.10.1 from the pulldown. 

1 minute ago, Pehvbot said:

You definitely need 1.10.1 (or some earlier versions).  From you Steam Library, right click on Kerbal Space Program->Properties->Betas and select 1.10.1 from the pulldown. 

Thanks but could you tell me how to have 2 installs going on with my main being stock

Edited by Kapitalizing Every Word

1 minute ago, Kapitalizing Every Word said:

Thanks but could you tell me how to have 2 installs going on with my main being stock

You can simply copy the entire game folder to anywhere you like.  KSP doesn't do copy protection so you don't need to go through Steam to launch it.  You can find the folder by going to Properties->Manage->Show local files.  Many players have several installs.  Once you copy it, you can then create a fresh install by uninstalling the old (now copied) version and reinstalling.

On 8/22/2021 at 7:27 PM, IronHide4 said:

Thanks for the answers, I have been launching biological and photography on  high flying sounding rockets to get science since those had value.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The experiments you first referenced constantly transmit. Sample collection experiments must be recovered and are un-transmittable.

Working fine for me with 1.11.2 after manual install, but I had to carefully update each component.

But I am still disappointed by the MLI Layers Bug: MLI layers at 100 prevent boil off for long mission with help of radiators. But it is impossible to save a ship with MLI layers at 100. the save is ok after launch but if you revert to launch of VAB you have to struggle through each component of your ship to set its MLI layers at 100.....That's very very annoying and long process each time!!

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible for someone to copy their rp1\ro  gamedata folder so that i can play it without having to go through all the bugs for downloading on ckan mac and download manually? or is that against ksp rules or licence rules

Edited by blurb

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys, first time posting here, I have (I think) some maybe unusual question....so far, I enjoy the Ro features and stuff, but, I also use a lot of stock parts, that I found very useful in my game, and talking about personal preferences, I honestly would like some way of to replace the "non-ro" label for "stock" label in place, this, because for my personal point of view, "non-ro" makes me think on something that is not working, it is not adequate, or will not do what they are supposed to do, and that´s not the case with many stock parts or other mods, that works without issues, and makes the game fun for me.

So, is there some config file that I should edit for what I´m asking?

thanks,

M.

Pd: Just in case, I´m not into career/rp1

On 9/13/2021 at 4:46 PM, NAVForums said:

Hey man, are you going to think in updating the mod for 1.11? or 1.12?

It will be updated when we are ready.

On 9/24/2021 at 4:30 AM, blurb said:

Is it possible for someone to copy their rp1\ro  gamedata folder so that i can play it without having to go through all the bugs for downloading on ckan mac and download manually? or is that against ksp rules or licence rules

You answered your own question. I personally suggest working through the command-line CKAN installer, it's a lot easier now (only one 'mod') with the express install package.

8 hours ago, Makrom said:

Hello Guys, first time posting here, I have (I think) some maybe unusual question....so far, I enjoy the Ro features and stuff, but, I also use a lot of stock parts, that I found very useful in my game, and talking about personal preferences, I honestly would like some way of to replace the "non-ro" label for "stock" label in place, this, because for my personal point of view, "non-ro" makes me think on something that is not working, it is not adequate, or will not do what they are supposed to do, and that´s not the case with many stock parts or other mods, that works without issues, and makes the game fun for me.

So, is there some config file that I should edit for what I´m asking?

thanks,

M.

Pd: Just in case, I´m not into career/rp1

Yep, the easy way is to edit this file. https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/d81d50848d60e1a7cb69b2b7de6cb15e4b621090/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RealismOverhaul_Global_Config.cfg#L308

Config Changes

• Updated Space Shuttle System Configs (#2522)
  • Update SOCK Aero to match latest changes to SSS
  • Configure NFExploration dishes (RA-only) (#2524)
  • Merge & Deprecate XLR43 (#2513)

Contributors:

Thanks to: @giuliodondi, @StonesmileGit, @lpgagnon, @Capkirk123

Thanks to all who have given support in issues, comments and discord discussions. Your contributions are greatly valued!

Hello, I just downloaded RSS/Ro/Rp-1, and started a new career. I eventually made a rocket that had enough dv to get close to orbit, about 7300 dv asl. I simulated it, and as mechjeb piloted it I saw that it thought I was 3000 m/s short by the end of my last burn. Sure enough, moving at nearly 8km/s I was far short of orbit. I tried again with an upgraded rocket and was still suborbital at over 10km/s. After looking online I see low orbit (200km, which is what I was aiming for myself), was achieved by others moving at only about 7500 ms. My question is, why do I have to go so fast to orbit? (At least 11 km/s)  Is it possible that earth is scaled more than it should be? Thanks.

37 minutes ago, Froost said:

Hello, I just downloaded RSS/Ro/Rp-1, and started a new career. I eventually made a rocket that had enough dv to get close to orbit, about 7300 dv asl. I simulated it, and as mechjeb piloted it I saw that it thought I was 3000 m/s short by the end of my last burn. Sure enough, moving at nearly 8km/s I was far short of orbit. I tried again with an upgraded rocket and was still suborbital at over 10km/s. After looking online I see low orbit (200km, which is what I was aiming for myself), was achieved by others moving at only about 7500 ms. My question is, why do I have to go so fast to orbit? (At least 11 km/s)  Is it possible that earth is scaled more than it should be? Thanks.

Delta-v for Earth orbit is somewhere around 9500m/s.  It varies a bit depending on the rocket and the launch profile.

1 hour ago, Froost said:

Orbital velocity in LEO is around that, but that doesn't mean you can reach LEO with 7500m/s of delta v.  You also need some delta v to get through the atmosphere, and you'll lose some to drag and gravity loss.  The general recommendation is around 9500m/s of delta v to reach low earth orbit.

The trajectory also matters, if you don't do it right you could put yourself into an elliptical suborbital trajectory even if you've got the right velocity.  I recommend looking at the Delta v map, and maybe look up some videos of people reaching orbit in RSS to see how they do it.

Edited by SpartanJack17

Ok. So I have this issue where the textures for almost all of the realism overhaul parts are grey in the part select menu, then are pink in the editor.

Here is the modlist.

And here is an example screenshot from after reinstalling KSP and checking for file issues via Steam.

(Look in the spoiler)

Spoiler

137213823-30df4b31-cafd-4676-b915-93e41d

137213918-b2f30586-26cf-4822-8207-19942c

Here is the Log file

Edited by verniervonkerman

• 2 weeks later...

New Realism Overhaul RP1 install following the RO RP1 guide. No additional mods. In FARRAM, Atmospheric viscosity seems to have not loaded correctly leading to an absence of drag, lift etc. In game it shows as 0.00002 whereas at 288K it should be more like 01.17894? Ive fed it back on the FAR thread but thought you guys might want to take a look?

Edited by Sunscreen
edited numerical value