[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

13 hours ago, Rothank said:

Hello there everyone, I've got a small question for you! I'm planning on doing alternate history RO/RP-0 playthrough where Western Europe joins the space race. And so, I am looking for modpacks that include EUROPEAN engines, the more the better. Since you guys have been playing the **** out of this game you'd probably know better than me which ones I need.

@MacLuky has taken over for Lionhead and these are mostly configured for RO still.

12 minutes ago, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

Hi, I have a problem. when  I detach my second stage and then activate the engine, it flips over, going crazy. Why?

You could probably help people getting to help you if you post a screenshot of your vessel and post some specific circumstances under which it flips, like altitude or engine model, speed etc.

Such a generic question will most likely only end up in guessing and that is not efficient. Cheers :)

7 hours ago, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

Hi, I have a problem. when  I detach my second stage and then activate the engine, it flips over, going crazy. Why?

1. Chances are your second stage is aerodynamically unstable. They usually are.
  2. With realistic reaction wheels, if your stage doesn't have RCS, you're relying on engine gimbal for attitude control. That means you don't have full control authority until the engine spools up to full thrust.
  3. If you're pointing off prograde or have a significant rotation rate at the moment of separation, it can throw you into a pretty significant tumble in the couple of seconds it takes to recover control.
  4. If your first stage is also unstable and relying on gimbal for attitude control, you start drifting toward "out of control" as soon as the first stage burns out.
  5. If you're too low in the atmosphere at staging, the instability can overpower your ability to react.

If you're staging below 35-40 km, you may want to add more burn time to your first stage. Try to make sure you're right on prograde before burnout, and keep the staging sequence as quick as possible so you spend less time uncontrolled. If you can arrange for second-stage RCS to come on at the moment of separation, that will help.

On 6/13/2017 at 9:05 PM, undercoveryankee said:
  1. Chances are your second stage is aerodynamically unstable. They usually are.
  2. With realistic reaction wheels, if your stage doesn't have RCS, you're relying on engine gimbal for attitude control. That means you don't have full control authority until the engine spools up to full thrust.
  3. If you're pointing off prograde or have a significant rotation rate at the moment of separation, it can throw you into a pretty significant tumble in the couple of seconds it takes to recover control.
  4. If your first stage is also unstable and relying on gimbal for attitude control, you start drifting toward "out of control" as soon as the first stage burns out.
  5. If you're too low in the atmosphere at staging, the instability can overpower your ability to react.

If you're staging below 35-40 km, you may want to add more burn time to your first stage. Try to make sure you're right on prograde before burnout, and keep the staging sequence as quick as possible so you spend less time uncontrolled. If you can arrange for second-stage RCS to come on at the moment of separation, that will help.

I was in the upper atmosphere (around 70km). I had a medium AOA to raise my apoasis. My second stage had an AJ-10 with RCS on the side. The RCS had been activated before the sep to add extra control in the lower atmosphere. I had first activated my ullage motors. (no problem there, the stage flew away from the first stage.) but when I pressed spacebar again to activate the engine, it spun out of control.

19 hours ago, JeFir said:

Hi, thank you for doing this mod, i really like it.
I have a question.
Does rp-0 is compatible with half-sized rss http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/142336-122-half-size-rss-v17-updated-2-8-2017/
or is there any way to make it work?

It will work. The engines and tank will be overly efficient, not that big of an issue.  A vessel for RO/RSS that will barely get to orbit in full scale will make it to Lunar orbit in Half. Some of the contract may be higher than expected orbits.

23 hours ago, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

I was in the upper atmosphere (around 70km). I had a medium AOA to raise my apoasis. My second stage had an AJ-10 with RCS on the side. The RCS had been activated before the sep to add extra control in the lower atmosphere. I had first activated my ullage motors. (no problem there, the stage flew away from the first stage.) but when I pressed spacebar again to activate the engine, it spun out of control.

If the RCS seemed to have the vehicle under control until the second-stage main engine spooled up, that rules out a lot of the obvious possibilities. 

• Double-check that you're not coincidentally running out of ElectricCharge or RCS propellant. It seems obvious, but it's not hard to overlook in the excitement of a tumbling rocket.
  • What are you using for attitude control? MechJeb, stock SAS, or something else? If it's some kind of PID tuning issue, a lot of the advice will depend on whose PID has the issue.
  • Pictures – of the design of the stage, and of your full screen just before and just after ignition – will help a lot.

2 hours ago, undercoveryankee said:

If the RCS seemed to have the vehicle under control until the second-stage main engine spooled up, that rules out a lot of the obvious possibilities. 

• Double-check that you're not coincidentally running out of ElectricCharge or RCS propellant. It seems obvious, but it's not hard to overlook in the excitement of a tumbling rocket.
  • What are you using for attitude control? MechJeb, stock SAS, or something else? If it's some kind of PID tuning issue, a lot of the advice will depend on whose PID has the issue.
  • Pictures – of the design of the stage, and of your full screen just before and just after ignition – will help a lot.

I double-checked. It's not the RCS  or electricty. I use Stock SAS for control. here is the stage design

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/8yfYW1n0rZm4bQzbWqR9PYjStE69razkl4SAt_QFeb9zXixl8Sdg6ymxhA-XPOW1uAi3Ta757CrYWtF822MyNwksTK1soKd22s22ttOisWKQ9Ca-ixCEEVuPg3Dtyy3e5v9EiWEq

So there u go

This mod is truly beautiful and makes the game a lot more enjoyable , but I ran into a pretty big problem : I'm trying to make a Constellation Mars mission and I need to refuel my ships with ISRUs on the surface of Mars , but the in-game stock ISRUs produce Oxidizer and Fuel only (so not the fuels RO uses).Is there a way to fix this or a mod?

Hi,

Firstly: I am sorry for my English, secondly: I am sorry if I am asking about something really stupid, I'm new here, I don’t know how it is working here.

I want to thank you for this mod, because it is amazing, really great!

But I have a problem. I was working on my first plane in realism overhaul, when I realized then I can’t go EVA on earth. Every time I tried it from plane, kerbals just exploded, from flight results I know it is from overheating. I tried to do eva from MK1 pod and in this case he was capable of walking on the surface but exploded immediately after jump in the air.

What is wrong? How do I fix it? When I am starting KSP, it is saying something about 4 compatibility problems but until now everything was perfect... Is there a possibility that overheating kerbals are because of this?

Is RO compatible with Infernal Robotics and Tweakscale? (sorry for dumb question)

9 hours ago, Salvi said:

Hi,

Firstly: I am sorry for my English, secondly: I am sorry if I am asking about something really stupid, I'm new here, I don’t know how it is working here.

I want to thank you for this mod, because it is amazing, really great!

But I have a problem. I was working on my first plane in realism overhaul, when I realized then I can’t go EVA on earth. Every time I tried it from plane, kerbals just exploded, from flight results I know it is from overheating. I tried to do eva from MK1 pod and in this case he was capable of walking on the surface but exploded immediately after jump in the air.

What is wrong? How do I fix it? When I am starting KSP, it is saying something about 4 compatibility problems but until now everything was perfect... Is there a possibility that overheating kerbals are because of this?

Maybe you have to update Deadly Reentry.

On 6/17/2017 at 2:36 PM, Mr. Sandman said:

This mod is truly beautiful and makes the game a lot more enjoyable , but I ran into a pretty big problem : I'm trying to make a Constellation Mars mission and I need to refuel my ships with ISRUs on the surface of Mars , but the in-game stock ISRUs produce Oxidizer and Fuel only (so not the fuels RO uses).Is there a way to fix this or a mod?

RealISRU is a development sub mod for Mars specific use.  https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealISRU  Use at your own risk :) 

Pretty sure something in RO/Realfuels mods them also.

@Salvi DRE needs either 7.6.0   https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/tag/v7.6.0   or a patch from the DRE thread for EVA kerbals. https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/master/DeadlyReentry/DeadlyReentry-KerbalEVA.cfg   if you want to continue to use 7.5.0

@NSEP  Yes and no, tweakscale can cause interactions with Realfuels, mostly tanks, that will have negative or zero mass. This will make the craft hang in the air or have a fixed velocity. I use TS for structural parts and fins. It also may have problems with lifting surfaces/control surfaces and FAR.    I've heard that IR has a working dev version but never had much luck getting 1.2.2 to work with IR.

@LordOfMinecraft99  Is one of those snubotrons blasting into a tank? asymetric thrust can ruin your day.

Edited by Bornholio

1 hour ago, Salvi said:

No, I have 7.5.0, It is the latest version. I even tried to reinstall all KSP.

Very strange, maybe try removing deadly re-entry in general? It does drop the fun however, but it might be the only solution. If it still does not work, i cant help

Edited by NSEP

52 minutes ago, Bornholio said:

RealISRU is a development sub mod for Mars specific use.  https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealISRU  Use at your own risk :) 

@Salvi DRE needs either 7.6.0   https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/tag/v7.6.0   or a patch from the DRE thread for EVA kerbals. https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/master/DeadlyReentry/DeadlyReentry-KerbalEVA.cfg   if you want to continue to use 7.5.0

@NSEP  Yes and no, tweakscale can cause interactions with Realfuels, mostly tanks, that will have negative or zero mass. This will make the craft hang in the air or have a fixed velocity. I use TS for structural parts and fins. It also may have problems with lifting surfaces/control surfaces and FAR.    I've heard that IR has a working dev version but never had much luck getting 1.2.2 to work with IR.

@LordOfMinecraft99  Is one of those snubotrons blasting into a tank? asymetric thrust can ruin your day.

I said earlier that the craft does not spin out of control until I fire the main engine of the second stage.

8 hours ago, Bornholio said:

Yeah I saw it's still in development (the drill doesn't work as example).Can you give me a date (at least an extimation) on when the mod will be at least Beta?

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sandman said:

Yeah I saw it's still in development (the drill doesn't work as example).Can you give me a date (at least an extimation) on when the mod will be at least Beta?

Nope its idle right now, but normal drills work. Collect Ore, and process it into LH2+O2 is main process, from there it provides various fuel manufacturing steps, main one being the methane process.  it includes two nasa specification methane engines, or you can use a mod that has one like the blue origin engine.  Otherwise pressure is low enough Hydrolox works fine at near vacuum rating. If i get to it later I'll start it up again. When i use it if i find an problem i make sure to make an Issue.  You could look at the code for the ISRU and just borrow that for yourself easily.  just don't expect support in any reasonable time.   if DoktorJet or the other contributors

I have a post in DRE thread with a full refueling MAV/ISRU/HIAD system of about 70t, Takes a long time since no engineer is on hand, and I didn't include enough Life support for that either.

Among the hings the real ISRU mod can also supply is water and oxygen for life support if you use TACLS.  Can eliminate a lot of burden (nearly half the weight or more) of that part of LS.

Also on the point of drills there are a bunch in other mods.

10 hours ago, Bornholio said:

Nope its idle right now, but normal drills work. Collect Ore, and process it into LH2+O2 is main process, from there it provides various fuel manufacturing steps, main one being the methane process.  it includes two nasa specification methane engines, or you can use a mod that has one like the blue origin engine.  Otherwise pressure is low enough Hydrolox works fine at near vacuum rating. If i get to it later I'll start it up again. When i use it if i find an problem i make sure to make an Issue.  You could look at the code for the ISRU and just borrow that for yourself easily.  just don't expect support in any reasonable time.   if DoktorJet or the other contributors

I have a post in DRE thread with a full refueling MAV/ISRU/HIAD system of about 70t, Takes a long time since no engineer is on hand, and I didn't include enough Life support for that either.

Among the hings the real ISRU mod can also supply is water and oxygen for life support if you use TACLS.  Can eliminate a lot of burden (nearly half the weight or more) of that part of LS.

Also on the point of drills there are a bunch in other mods.

Thanks a lot , those a ton of useful tips I'll need.I really hope that RealISRU becomes an official RO mod on the main thread someday.Thank you for your help , i appreciated it.

59 minutes ago, Benji13 said:

Hello. I do not know if it is this or RP-0 that does it but how do I get rid of the 'not ro/rp-0 supported' bit in the name and description of a lot of my parts?

Hi,

Just create a new folder NoNonRP0 in your GameData folder. It will hide all the not ro/rp-0 parts from your game.

EDIT : Can you please update the OP with the new RP-0 thread :

Thanks

Edited by hargn