[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

I was thinking of taking a stab updating the config files for Near Future Solar so that the solar cell degradation worked properly and I wanted to check if I was doing the right thing. I started with the updated config from https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/issues/2231. That config looks something like this, as an example:

@PART[nfs-panel-deploying-blanket-arm-1]:FOR[RealismOverhaul] // OKEB-500 Blanket Photovoltaic Array
{
	%RSSROConfig = True
	!MODULE[TweakScale]
	{
	}
	@mass = 2.94
	@description = OKEB offers a new take on solar arrays - really, really big. Their first entry into the market dwarfs even Kerb Kastria Inc.'s Megalador panel. Uses the latest state of the art technology. 420m^2.
	@MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]
    {
		@chargeRate = 199.92
    }

Going off what I can see in the config files for solar panels from other mods, I was going to add the following:

!SolarConfig,* { }

%useSolarConfig = true
	%solarUseMass = true
	SolarConfig
	{
		area = 420
		level = 4
		type = folded
	}

Would that work or would I need to change it? This is my first time looking at stuff like this and any and all help would be much appreciated.

Update: doesn't seem to work. Perhaps it is related to the switchable variants of the solar panels?

Edited by pt1243

I tried using RO Solar instead but I encountered a strange bug where the solar panels seem to be invisible and with zero size or mass. Tested on a clean 1.8 install with the latest version of RO and all dependencies, and RO Solar v0.2 and RO Lib v0.4.

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/7RrPL9B

Log File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yvxb4z2n0mavca/Player.log?dl=0

From what I can see in the logs, there appears to be some issue with "ModuleROSolar". Any and all help is much appreciated.

50 minutes ago, pt1243 said:

I tried using RO Solar instead but I encountered a strange bug where the solar panels seem to be invisible and with zero size or mass. Tested on a clean 1.8 install with the latest version of RO and all dependencies, and RO Solar v0.2 and RO Lib v0.4.

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/7RrPL9B

Log File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yvxb4z2n0mavca/Player.log?dl=0

From what I can see in the logs, there appears to be some issue with "ModuleROSolar". Any and all help is much appreciated.

Try downloading the master branch from here: https://github.com/KSP-RO/ROSolar

And the 1.8 branch from here: https://github.com/KSP-RO/ROLibrary/tree/1.8
If you don't know how to install mods directly from GitHub then please refer to that page: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/How-To-Install-a-Mod-From-Github

Edited by siimav

3 hours ago, siimav said:

Try downloading the master branch from here: https://github.com/KSP-RO/ROSolar

And the 1.8 branch from here: https://github.com/KSP-RO/ROLibrary/tree/1.8
If you don't know how to install mods directly from GitHub then please refer to that page: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/How-To-Install-a-Mod-From-Github

Unfortunately this did not seem to work either - the issue appeared to be exactly the same. Thank you for the assistance though.

I think at this point I will just have to go ahead and stick with the stock solar panels.

I've noticed something unexpected with the water purifiers from TACLS. 3 kerbals output 3 x 86400 x 5.7E-5 = 14.77 waste water per day. Using 2 Water Purifiers, their inputs are 7.02 x 2 = 14.04 waste water per day. No problems there. However, they output 2 x 6.62 = 13.24 water per day, and the three kerbals only need 3 x 86400 x 4.48E-5 = 11.61 water per day, leaving a water surplus of 1.63 water per day. Is is realistic to essentially be able to have infinite water, given enough food and oxygen? Apologies if this is a stupid question - it is quite possible that this is intentional, and that the extra water is assumed to be coming from the food.

Hello ppl I need some guidance. Im playing from KSP 1.7 with RO/RSS and I want to know how to make ShadowWorks, Cormorand Aeronology and Modular Lanchpads working for me. I ve adressed the issue to each specific page and they all told me to adress the issue here. Can someone plz help me? I also have to admit that Im not good with programming stuff so plz you have to keep it simple. Thanks in advance!:) 

Hi I wanted to add a part from SXT a hollow 3.75 to mk3 adapter to realism overhual, I did do a patch for a part once but I forgot how and I didn't save the page which explained how to do it. I don't suppose anyone could point me in the right direction? I could just change the resscale factor and add in SkinMaxTemp to get it working, but I wanna do it properly through a patch, so that it shows up properly in the parts as part of RO and have all my own custom patches in 1 place so I don't need to hunt them down. Like if I want to use the Sabre M it needs changing in various ways to actually work with RO and be like the real proposed engine, eg. (Vac ISP from ~330 to 460, thrust changed from 600KN to 2000KN etc.)

I get that I need to do something like this

@PART[SXTadapterSize3Mk3]:FOR[RealismOverhaul]
{
	%RSSROConfig = True
	@title = 6.4m to Mk3 Hollow Adapter
	@mass = 2.2
	//%maxTemp = 2273.15
	%skinMaxTemp = 2500
}

but is there anything else I need to do for a new patch, obviously change the extension of the file to .cfg, but do I need to do anything other than that? Like how do I add in the rescale because that is the most important part because it's not the standard 1.6 rescale it's 1.7066

Edit; d.w. I was right also added in "@rescaleFactor = 1.7066"

Also the mk3 tanks suck, which is why I wanted a hollow adapter rather than a tank adapter, 10 tons dry for the tank adapter while a shielded procedural tank with ~5 times the volume is 17 tonnes dry :wacko:

Edited by etheoma

Hi!  I installed all the essential stuff in the list in the first post of this thread, onto a fresh install of 1.8.1. I also followed the youtube tutorial by Raiz Space on how to install RO on 1.8.1 but none of the included ships can be loaded. Every single one of them has missing parts. Can some one point me to the modules that are needed for the parts for the included ships? 

Weird thing is that I downloaded several space shuttle models that are supposed to be "stock" but they are not possible to load with a stock install of 1.8.1, neither after RO but STS-7 Space Shuttle seems to only be missing "linearRcs" but I cannot find any reference to that one, looks like it's supposed to be a stock part? 

Any help will be much appreciated!

No Super seriously this time, is there a way to load a craft file with missing pats and just re-place it with the updated part. I sware that was a thing in a version of KSP, or a mod... and I don't mean a launched ship I mean in the VAB. There was a minor update to RO and it broke the craft file I was working on for the past 2 days...

Considering the positions of the other parts are saved it should be possible to do that at least.

Well I have learned to always say no to updates at a bare minimum, unless I am willing to start all over again. Or at least copy and paste the current onto spining rust, which funnily enough I have always done before now and have never had any issues... the one time i don't and this is what I get... I even have a copy from 3 days ago that I made...

Edited by etheoma

On 4/7/2020 at 3:09 PM, etheoma said:

No Super seriously this time, is there a way to load a craft file with missing pats and just re-place it with the updated part. I sware that was a thing in a version of KSP, or a mod... and I don't mean a launched ship I mean in the VAB. There was a minor update to RO and it broke the craft file I was working on for the past 2 days...

Considering the positions of the other parts are saved it should be possible to do that at least.

Well I have learned to always say no to updates at a bare minimum, unless I am willing to start all over again. Or at least copy and paste the current onto spining rust, which funnily enough I have always done before now and have never had any issues... the one time i don't and this is what I get... I even have a copy from 3 days ago that I made...

If the part actually still exists then it might have had its name changed, in which case you can edit the craft file and change the name of the part from old to new. It will load properly if that's all that changed.

Note that you may get a warning about missing a PartModule which is NOT the same thing as a missing part and it is just a warning and you can ignore it and load the craft anyway.

I don't know if it's you are someone ever at RO that made the change, but someone reduced the max temp and skin temp of the Raptor engines down to ~640 in the RO config which considering heat shields in KSP don't work unless you are in front of the craft in line with the craft it means that the engines will always burn up on reentry even if you do put a heat shielded skirt around them. I personally only needed to increase the skin and max temp to 1000 and 1200 as I am reentering with large wings, large, empty, relatively light tank to reenter

Craft kinda more like a scaled up Dyna-Soar rather than a Starship / Super Heavy, but I hate powered landings on Earth at the best of time.

With an actual Super Heavy / Starship config you would likely need to increase that to ~2000, which is still a large reduction over the stock Max Temp 3000 Skin temp 3500. Which yeah is just unrealistic.

I have also posted this on the KK Launchers KSP.com forum page. The patch that I believe does this is

/RealismOverhual/Engine_Config/Raptor.cfg

as it applies the defualt ModuleEngineConfigs without restating a higher max and skin temp, at any rate you can change it from there. Although honestly I think it would be better to just replace the old patch in OR_SuggestedMods/KK Launchers rather than just add on another patch ontop in Engine_Configs

I am probably just complaining because it caused me a headache in trying to edit the part because I kept trying to edit the old patch and it wasn't working.

Edited by etheoma

On 4/13/2020 at 3:44 AM, etheoma said:

I don't know if it's you are someone ever at RO that made the change, but someone reduced the max temp and skin temp of the Raptor engines down to ~640 in the RO config which considering heat shields in KSP don't work unless you are in front of the craft in line with the craft it means that the engines will always burn up on reentry even if you do put a heat shielded skirt around them. I personally only needed to increase the skin and max temp to 1000 and 1200 as I am reentering with large wings, large, empty, relatively light tank to reenter

I am probably just complaining because it caused me a headache in trying to edit the part because I kept trying to edit the old patch and it wasn't working.

It could happen if the part just in front of the Raptors has incorrect drag cubes. 

I have few space planes with Raptors that could re-enter without any serious problem and once I had that engine overheat issue, but the reason was as I said before - incorrectly set part drag cubes. 

@raidernick raidernick released this 2 days ago

• Make Mk2b compatible with Squad's Mk2
  • Tweakable utilization for B9
  • Add NEEDS for TAC-LS modules for Kerbalism to avoid mm errors if tacls isn't installed
  • Hide deprecated parts from the editor
  • Fix missing model errors
  • WACCorporal TU fixes
  • Fix Star 27 burn time
  • Fix Star 31 burn time
  • All solid engines are now throttle locked by default
  • Updated burn times of many global engine configs
  • RD-120 TF
  • fix Agena engine configs
  • Make Juno engines PF
  • Correct RS-27 burn time
  • Updates to Universal Storage 2 configs
  • Update SSTU to use new plumes
  • Fixed many errors in SRM global configs such as incorrect fuel amounts and masses
  • Update BDB configs
  • Fix Atlas load reactor ejection force
  • Add non-highly-pressurized bicoupler to stock configs
  • Add compatibility for KAS/KIS
  • Add 38 cm size options to realchute
  • Restore original ejection force on payload bases, this is adjustable in game now
  • Fix issue with KSPWheel when VSR is installed, lower steering response
  • Fix GATV SPS fuel, scale Able and Vanguard to be more realistic
  • Add power consupmtion to NSTAR Ion Engine
  • Fix old NFP configs, add some more hall thrusters
  • Fix VASIMR engine and make them switchable in flight
  • Disable EC fuel gauge for vasimr
  • Global solar panel patch supports OUTPUT_RESOURCE
  • Change chute type for mercury pod drogue chute
  • Improve compatibility with RP1
  • S5.98M engine gimbal added back for global configs
  • Rutherford engine global config overhaul
  • Fix incorrect descriptions in various global engine configs
  • Add support for RN commercial titan and solids
  • Update thrust curves of various solid global configs, such as star 63 and orbus 21
  • Add support for RN Mars Observer spacecraft
  • Fix RN aerobee plumes and node positions
  • Add more delta rocket subassemblies for KK delta ii pack
  • KK fix plumes on various engines and srbs
  • RS68 ablator only applied if testflight/testlite is installed to prevent limiting burn times in sandbox
  • Add suport for RN Tsiklon 2 and 3 rockets
  • Fix MM error in rd250 config
  • Add full stock comm system support to all RN mods for people who hate remote tech
  • Add full stock comm system support to all KK mods also with realistic RSS values for planets
  • Add support for RN strela-3/Gonets-D1 satellite
  • Update all RN and KK craft files and subassemblies for all previously listed changes above and to ensure continued RO support
  • Update the physics file to have more realistic aerofx and thermalfx fade in, this should not be happening at the previous stock values

Thanks to @raidernick, @whale2, @Standecco, @naet1, @rsparkyc, @Capkirk123, @nepphhh, @DocRockwell, @IronKerbal, @mcd0uble, @lukecologne, @siimav, @jwvanderbeck, @TransparentElemental, @blowfishpro, @RCrockford, @stratochief66 and @formicant for work on this latest update!

On 4/19/2020 at 10:39 AM, Calvin_Maclure said:

Sweet! Thank you all for your work! 

Question: when a new version comes out like this, is it better to update via CKAN or manually, or does it not really matter?

Thanks,

CM

It really doesn't matter. Back up of course, but just swapping it out with the update will almost always work. Half the time it's just config changes.

Love your reddit posts.

hello

i'm playing with KSRSS, and i've find a lots of mistake in the mars map biome (directly from RSS) , so i've used my "confinement time" to correct that.

in case of you want to add this into rss-ro, you can find info here :

Regards

ps: sorry for my english, it's not my spoken language :)

Edited by winproof

I'm trying to complete a career mode contract that requires you have 4000 units of liquid fuel in a space station. It seems this is impossible because with the RO mod, it removes liquid fuel with the RF config that is with it. It's not recognizing kerosene as a replacement, and RO doesn't work with RF stockalike. Any way to add liquid fuel manually, or tweak the contract to use kerosene or something else?

Edit: Ok nevermind, looks like I was able to unlock the non-RO engines later, which unlocked (I think) Liquid Fuel/Oxidizer (stock), and it only works with the stock fuel tanks, not procedural tanks.

Edited by jkenny23

31 minutes ago, jkenny23 said:

I'm trying to complete a career mode contract that requires you have 4000 units of liquid fuel in a space station. It seems this is impossible because with the RO mod, it removes liquid fuel with the RF config that is with it. It's not recognizing kerosene as a replacement, and RO doesn't work with RF stockalike. Any way to add liquid fuel manually, or tweak the contract to use kerosene or something else?

There is no supported career mode for RO unless you play RP-1. Play RP-1 to have a realistic career.

3 hours ago, nepphhh said:

There is no supported career mode for RO unless you play RP-1. Play RP-1 to have a realistic career.

I did try RP-1 but it's basically a completely different game.. I kinda like just the KSP career mode but with RO, though it seems the science progression is painfully slow. There are also some rather unreasonable contracts since there's no longer infinitely restartable engines.