[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

2 hours ago, minerbat said:

it has probaly been answered before, but im not going to look at 76 forum pages. what are the minimal required specs in which it's at least playable if no mods like EVE or scatterer are used? because i don't have a very powerfull laptop

Look on the RO/RP-1 GitHub guides, it’ll tell you there somewhere. Realistically though, I’d say 16GB RAM at least, more if you use higher resolution textures or a chunky parts mod like FASA.

RP-1 works fine in KSP 1.11.1, the only real issues I’ve had so far were the broken drag cubes for the LEM (mentioned above, solved by just deleting the part), missing EVA chute and jetpack (due to 1.11 making them separate parts, easily fixed by adding them to a list) and no propellant for said jetpack with RO Kerbalism installed (disable the fuel patches for it so it runs on stock EVA propellant and it’s fine); other than that it’s been more or less plain sailing.

That said, I thing 1.10 would be a better choice if you wanted to move on from 1.8.1, the features that 1.11 added aren’t useful in RP-1 and are more of a hindrance than a help in some cases e.g. the jetpack issues above.

16 hours ago, minerbat said:

it has probaly been answered before, but im not going to look at 76 forum pages. what are the minimal required specs in which it's at least playable if no mods like EVE or scatterer are used? because i don't have a very powerfull laptop

I have played with a i7-860 desktop with HD 5770 graphics (so both 10+ years old) with 12 GB of ram.  I have seen other people who get RO to load on systems with 8GB of ram, but with very long load times, probably caused by windows paging.

I'm currently running RO/RSS in 1.11.1, and everything works fine... except for this strange visual bug that I'm assuming is related to RSS. An image of my current mods and the visual bug can be found in these images.

Does anyone have any idea about what is happening here and any possible solutions?

P.S. the bug goes away once I reach near-space and enter space, but, no matter how many times I reload KSP, the bug is going to be there when I'm at the KSC.

Those images look similar to what people using 1.8.1 report when they have the wrong version of scatterer.  For 1.8.1 I think someone said it should be the august release of scatterer.  No idea what the right version would be for 1.11.1.  (I don't use scatterer).

1 hour ago, AVaughan said:

Those images look similar to what people using 1.8.1 report when they have the wrong version of scatterer.  For 1.8.1 I think someone said it should be the august release of scatterer.  No idea what the right version would be for 1.11.1.  (I don't use scatterer).

Just tried updating Scatterer to the latest version (for 1.11.1), still have the same result. ;-;

Well the fix for those experiencing what looks like the same issue on 1.8.1 was rolling back to an earlier version (it was described as an august version, so I'm guessing one of the 0.06xx versions, but that was for 1.8.1.  No idea what version you need for 1.11.1.  (RO/RP-1 are only officially supported on 1.8.1 atm.  You might get better/faster support on the RO discord https://discord.gg/BCTBzyJqP3 ).

On 3/21/2021 at 6:45 PM, Probro said:

this mod KILLS my computer

May your next computer enjoy a longer life.  :P

However to be a bit more serious, I found that reducing graphic settings helps.

I run KSP on a 2019 MacBook Pro, and also on a 2011 iMac.  Both computers can handle RO/RSS easily IF I reduce the graphics settings.  

I don't need 4k graphics presentations to visualise what going on. It would be nice in the future, but for now it's fine.

One day I will obtain an ultimate windows gaming PC, but until then it's reduced settings...

7 hours ago, Wallygator said:

May your next computer enjoy a longer life.  :P

However to be a bit more serious, I found that reducing graphic settings helps.

I run KSP on a 2019 MacBook Pro, and also on a 2011 iMac.  Both computers can handle RO/RSS easily IF I reduce the graphics settings.  

I don't need 4k graphics presentations to visualise what going on. It would be nice in the future, but for now it's fine.

One day I will obtain an ultimate windows gaming PC, but until then it's reduced settings...

i got a great pc, my cpu can handle it, my gpu can handle it but its my ram that cant handle it, i only have 16gb ram and im planning on upgrading to 32 soon

5 hours ago, Probro said:

i got a great pc, my cpu can handle it, my gpu can handle it but its my ram that cant handle it, i only have 16gb ram and im planning on upgrading to 32 soon

Similar to my experiences with RSS/RO lately. I set up a new install of it a few months back, and was hitting 24GBs pretty easily, at which point the whole game just crashes on me. (I have 32GB in my system.) 

And to think it hasn't been that long ago since we were stuck in 32-bit KSP land and 4GBs of RAM max......

In your case I'd recommend holding back on parts mods. You _can_ run RSS/RO on 16GBs of RAM, but not if you use every parts mod on the recommended (or supported) list. There are a couple very specific large parts and retexture packs that may look fantastic, but I'll never be able to use/enjoy them because they seem to soak up RAM without end.

Just for reference, I use an i7 9700k @ 5ghz, RTX 2080, 64gb RAM @ 3.2ghz plus the RSS / RO /RP-1 suite + additional mods (approx. 125 total mods including Katniss' Cape, EVO and all the visual candy mods) and I get an average 40 FPS with simple craft and an average 15 FPS with crafts over 100 parts.

Usually when I get to orbit I get a 10% increase in FPS but that's it. This has been my experience throughout different KSP and RO/RSS/RP-1 versions. I also had comparable performance with my previous PC (i7 4700k @ 4ghz, GTX 780ti, 32gb RAM DDR3 @ 1.8ghz) so my conclusion is that poor optimization and single-threading are the 2 main culprits for low performance with heavily modded installs.

EDIT: the aforementioned is excluding Principia. Using this mod will further impact your performance, significantly. I have to say though I will trade FPS any day of the week to get the mesmerizing physics from Principia, it really is a game-changer.

Edited by hypervelocity

On 3/22/2021 at 6:44 PM, Cydonian Monk said:

Similar to my experiences with RSS/RO lately. I set up a new install of it a few months back, and was hitting 24GBs pretty easily, at which point the whole game just crashes on me. (I have 32GB in my system.) 

And to think it hasn't been that long ago since we were stuck in 32-bit KSP land and 4GBs of RAM max......

In your case I'd recommend holding back on parts mods. You _can_ run RSS/RO on 16GBs of RAM, but not if you use every parts mod on the recommended (or supported) list. There are a couple very specific large parts and retexture packs that may look fantastic, but I'll never be able to use/enjoy them because they seem to soak up RAM without end.

im running near future parts and rssve 32k textures so...yeah

On 3/22/2021 at 6:44 PM, Cydonian Monk said:

7 hours ago, Probro said:

do you also run rssve on 32k textures? wth 16k earth?

13 hours ago, Probro said:

do you also run rssve on 32k textures? wth 16k earth?

16k Earth, yes. I can't run RSSVE, or any of those visual overhauls. I have an older cloud setup that I use instead along with a default scatterer config.

10 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

16k Earth, yes. I can't run RSSVE, or any of those visual overhauls. I have an older cloud setup that I use instead along with a default scatterer config.

i can run rssve 32k with 16k earth i have 16 gigs

9 hours ago, gilflo said:

Hello Guys

What is this stucking launch? My rocket stay on launch pad flying as if she was in the sky, TWR, Thrust are ok, fuel is burning.

Does anybody have an idea of what's happening ? Same problem in simulation

https://youtu.be/FRv1eTkjYEY

Try using launch clamps, and elevate the vehicle slightly above the launch platform surface.

This fixed it for me.

Hey, had some problems installing RO from the wiki guide.  Problems I solved and will now share for anyone else passing by.

The RO mod itself was failing to install from CKAN;  It was fetching it (v13.0), and then throwing an error along the lines of "Manifest error, GameData/Realism Overhaul contains no files to install".

Went back and forth through the process several times, reinstall KSP, purge CKAN cache etc.  Even tried manually adding RO but was fazed by its dependencies.  The solution was to update CKAN itself, after which the mod went in just fine.

Always stuck, thrust and TWR ok, ignition OK, everything seems ok, except that this damned rocket stays stuck. My first one the small auto rocket and launch was successful.....I really can't see what's the problem

vggKJud.jpg

Could one of the guys that's good with RO configs give this a check over for me please. I'm doing a few configs for the Tantares modules, which I have done and seem to be working fine. However I'm trying to do one for the S5.79 engines that go on the Zvezda module and it doesn't seem to work. I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to what I may be doing wrong for it to not show as a WIP RO part in game. Here's my config...

@PART[eridani_engine_s0_1]:NEEDS[RealismOverhaul]
{
	%RSSROConfig = False
	@mass = 0.04

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
	{
		@minThrust = 0
        	@maxThrust = 3.1
        	%ullage = False
        	%pressureFed = True
        	%ignitions = 70

@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]
        	{
            		@name = UDMH
            		@ratio = 0.4977
        	}

@PROPELLANT[Oxidizer]
        	{
            		@name = NTO
            		@ratio = 0.5023
        	}

@atmoshereCurve
		{
			@key = 0 302
			@key = 1 110
		}

IGNITOR_RESOURCE
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			amount = 0.5
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleGimbal
		gimbalTransformName = thrustTransform
		gimbalRange = 5
	}

}

Hey @si2504, I might be completely wrong (apologies if I am) but I think the following string determines if a part is shown as compatible with RO:

%RSSROConfig = False

I think if you change that to True the part should show as compatible with RO.

Edited by hypervelocity