[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

2 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

This would be amazing. FAR is the bane of my existence and will make RO so much better.

FAR is definitely important to a complete RO experience (as it's literally Realism Overhaul) but it's certainly usable without FAR in my experience.

Hi guys. Just wondiering, is there any information on how the 'residuals' mechanic works?

For instance, will the amount of unburnt fuel remaining in a tank depend on the size of the tank? Or is it all to do with the engine?

What if the engine is being supplied by multiple tanks of different capacity? Will that have an effect?

Many thanks! :)

Hello,

Just update RO to last version (from 1.13) and now there is a part that is missing from the vessels in my save, the part is RCSBLOCK.V2

as the part is missing, the vessels are not loaded and I´m losing my save..

log´s here

https://www.mediafire.com/file/g2n3wvq11vx27ap/KSP.log/file

thanks in advance,

Disclaimer: just in case, I´m aware of the issues related to update RO from 1.13 to 1.14, this is not something related to fuel pressure in tanks or whatever else that make engines on a previous save not functional, that is not the topic of my question, this is a missing part--thanks.

16 hours ago, New Horizons said:

I was surprised about deadly reentry not being a part of important mods anymore. What does that mean?

News to me as DR’s maintainer. 

possibly that 90% of the mod is sensible part failure temperatures. Maybe they moved responsibility for that into RO?

edit: which obviously would affect my reply to you in the DR thread. 

Edited by Starwaster

On 12/25/2022 at 8:50 AM, RealTimeShepherd said:

Hi guys. Just wondiering, is there any information on how the 'residuals' mechanic works?

For instance, will the amount of unburnt fuel remaining in a tank depend on the size of the tank? Or is it all to do with the engine?

What if the engine is being supplied by multiple tanks of different capacity? Will that have an effect?

Many thanks! :)

@Theysen I did some testing of the residuals and it seems to me that tank size has no effect. The result of this being that when I'm trying to land the StarShip, the Raptor engine cuts out when the header tank is still about 45% full

This is surely ridiculous, SpaceX are using a little header tank in the nose to carry the small amount of fuel required for a propulsive landing. I'm pretty sure that they don't expect the Raptor burn to cease when the header tank is still nearly half-full

Is there any way I can disable or edit the parameters of this feature?

Hello, another question, it seems that in my install Near future electrical are not working with RO, reactors have no power at all, they were working fine before the update, I´m not using kerbalism on this install so uninstalling dynamic battery storage, as is suggested on another forums makes no change at all.

Any clue or suggestion to where to look at?

thanks

Edited by Makrom

• 2 weeks later...

Batteries do not charge? RO in KSP1.9.1

I played  RP with RO for a while. I have it on KSP 1.9.1 My first Polar Satellite is in orbit.

But I am just not able to get the solar panels to charge batteries. Power is produced in the solar panels, but the batteries just drain down.  Nothing is running that use the power so fast.  I need help please. If I do not fix it, I will delete RO.

Edited by SpaceRaven

22 hours ago, SpaceRaven said:

Batteries do not charge? RO in KSP1.9.1

I played  RP with RO for a while. I have it on KSP 1.9.1 My first Polar Satellite is in orbit.

But I am just not able to get the solar panels to charge batteries. Power is produced in the solar panels, but the batteries just drain down.  Nothing is running that use the power so fast.  I need help please. If I do not fix it, I will delete RO.

That is a pretty old version of KSP.  The latest version of RO is for ksp 1.12.3.  

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/RO-&-RP-1-Express-Installation-for-1.12.3

Currently having an issue with a CKAN-installed instance of RO for 1.12.3, on the procedural fairings side of things. It appears that fairing diameter cannot be larger than 1.5 meters. Upon attempting to increase their diameters further, nothing happens.

I have an incredibly faint memory of something like this appearing in the past, but I can't recall a single detail past that. I may be blind, but I have not been able to find any settings that would allow me to increase fairing diameters further. This may very well be some hidden option that I am too dim to notice.

Thank you for the help.

Edited by Matuchkin

From memory if not playing

8 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

Currently having an issue with a CKAN-installed instance of RO for 1.12.3, on the procedural fairings side of things. It appears that fairing diameter cannot be larger than 1.5 meters. Upon attempting to increase their diameters further, nothing happens.

I have an incredibly faint memory of something like this appearing in the past, but I can't recall a single detail past that. I may be blind, but I have not been able to find any settings that would allow me to increase fairing diameters further. This may very well be some hidden option that I am too dim to notice.

Thank you for the help.

From memory when playing RO without career mode, you need to enable "Part Upgrades Enabled" or similar in the saves difficulty options. 

I loaded this up via the "Express Install" in CKAN.

I have zero interest in playing a career game, but when I select sandbox I still have a bunch of stuff that seems extraneous to my sole desire to build and fly rockets.  Decades to build stuff?  How long before folks retire.  Etc.

Which brings up my second point, that "express" means different things to different people.  Do I really need 87 mods to have a baseline realistic flight experience with reasonable approximations of real-world rockets? Which ones of these can I remove and not break things?

My third point is that I thought I'd start by loading  a Mercury Redstone and just let her rip to see what all the fuss is about.  The included craft file reports missing many parts.  Do I need to go download something more?  I tried building one from scratch in the VAB.  All of the capsule seems to be there, but the decoupler is lacking any kind of shroud/fairing when I attach it.  The tank and thrust structure and fins are AWOL.  The Redstone engine is present.

7 hours ago, Kurld said:

I loaded this up via the "Express Install" in CKAN.

I have zero interest in playing a career game, but when I select sandbox I still have a bunch of stuff that seems extraneous to my sole desire to build and fly rockets.  Decades to build stuff?  How long before folks retire.  Etc.

Which brings up my second point, that "express" means different things to different people.  Do I really need 87 mods to have a baseline realistic flight experience with reasonable approximations of real-world rockets? Which ones of these can I remove and not break things?

My third point is that I thought I'd start by loading  a Mercury Redstone and just let her rip to see what all the fuss is about.  The included craft file reports missing many parts.  Do I need to go download something more?  I tried building one from scratch in the VAB.  All of the capsule seems to be there, but the decoupler is lacking any kind of shroud/fairing when I attach it.  The tank and thrust structure and fins are AWOL.  The Redstone engine is present.

The express install is for RP-1, there is no supported way to install only RO. You have to use the RP-1 express install and either remove mods or disable features.

When starting a new game go into the mod settings prior to actually making the new save. From there you can disable retirement, tooling, mission training, etc from under the RP-1 settings. Once in the game you have 5000 points to assign to the VAB to speed up building or you can open the KCT settings and disable the build queue entirely.

I think the craft files you are talking about are prefixed with RN or MLP. The RN ones need RaiderNicks mods and MLP ones probably need BDB. None of those craft files will probably work under RP-1 express install. Under RO/RP-1, there are no premade tanks or fins, you need to make everything from procedural parts. There are also no shrouds and you need to make them from procedural fairings.

Hello, I'm trying to add an rcs config for my personal in RO use but it seems your RCS_Config has some sort of modifier applied to it that changes its stat values based on which rcs thruster/block/etc so you don't need a separate config file for every rcs.

But I have no idea what it is or where I can find it so I can make the config I want.

Can a dev or someone tell me what it is or where I could find it? 

Or just tell me I need to input for these stats as a config on the Angleg RCS Block [2200/3560 N class]:

Thruster Power: 50

Thruster Isp:240 (ASL) - 330 (Vac)

-LqdMethane: 7.9719/sec. Max.

-LqdOxygen: 10.5673/sec. Max.

Or (as it would look in the RCS_Config file without modifier):

CONFIG
        {
            name = Methalox
            specLevel = operational
            thrusterPower = 30
            PROPELLANT    
            {
                name = LqdMethane
                ratio = 7.9719
                DrawGauge = True
            }
            PROPELLANT
            {
                name = LqdOxygen
                ratio = 10.5673
            }

IspSL = 240
            IspV = 330
        }

FYI: the goal is to make it like the rcs thrusters on Starship at least as seen in the starship expansion project RO mod but as its own RCS Block instean of integrated in the starship parts so I can use it for other things.

FYI2: I'm pretty new to modding of atleast modifying game files so I have no idea what I'm doing, sorry!

FYI3: I would post a picture of the values I'm getting in game for what I'm putting in the RCS_Config but for some reason the forums not letting me upload from google drive or imgur. But safe to say it is no where close to what I need. (thrust power is about 300, lqdmethane usage is around 0.013-something, and ISP is in the 1000's)

Please Help

Edited by Vortexian101

The entire reason i got into ksp was the realism overhaul and realistic solar system, but downloading it on my mac doesn't seem to work. I try to extract the zip file and keep the RO folder in ksp but i'm not sure what to do after that and it doesn't seem to show any results. Can any experienced player with a macbook(or PC i don't care) tell me how to download the realism overhaul on a macbook thanks.

7 hours ago, whytho said:

The entire reason i got into ksp was the realism overhaul and realistic solar system, but downloading it on my mac doesn't seem to work. I try to extract the zip file and keep the RO folder in ksp but i'm not sure what to do after that and it doesn't seem to show any results. Can any experienced player with a macbook(or PC i don't care) tell me how to download the realism overhaul on a macbook thanks.

The recommended way to install RO https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/RO-&-RP-1-Express-Installation-for-1.12.3 .  Those instructions probably still apply to Macs, although details of how to do individual steps might be slightly different.  There is also at least one Mac user active on discord, so you might be able to get better answers for Mac specific questions there.  https://discord.gg/VdsxK9p7QC 

10 hours ago, whytho said:

Following up with AVaughan above:  CKAN on a Mac it can be a bit tricky to get it running at first and it will only run in console mode (i.e. run in the Terminal) but it does work and will install RO/RP-1 correctly.  CKAN is an 'unsigned' app so when you try to run it the first time, it will fail.  You'll need to go to your System Preferences->Security & Privacy settings to allow it to run.  Also I would suggest avoiding the visual mods at first.  They don't do all that well on a Mac.

4 hours ago, AVaughan said:

The recommended way to install RO https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/RO-&-RP-1-Express-Installation-for-1.12.3 .  Those instructions probably still apply to Macs, although details of how to do individual steps might be slightly different.  There is also at least one Mac user active on discord, so you might be able to get better answers for Mac specific questions there.  https://discord.gg/VdsxK9p7QC 

Thanks for the info, but what do you do after you install RO/RSS?

4 hours ago, whytho said:

Thanks for the info, but what do you do after you install RO/RSS?

I generally play an RP-1 career (which has custom contracts and is different and  more challenging that a normal stock career).  other people prefer to play around in sandbox, some of them build historical re-creations.  There is a number of wiki articles on getting started in RO/RP-1 on the wiki.  (Some of the individual mods also have wiki pages).