[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

Hello there,

One of the suggested mods in the RO folder is Smart parts, there is a config file for it, and the mod is being supported in Ckan so I install it, but I have the issue that not all the parts of the mod are loaded into the game, the RO config file actually has the parts included, but for some reason of the 10+ parts of the mod I always get only 7...no matter what I try, (different versions, checking config files etc..), beside this, the parts that I was interested on are exactly the ones that are not loaded.

This is the ksp log , any clue would be appreciated: https://www.mediafire.com/file/g2n3wvq11vx27ap/KSP.log/file

Nevermind: after seeing a youtube video about the mod, I realized that the parts not loaded just do what decouplers and other parts already do, I though they would have another behaviour with more possibilities.

thanks,

M

Edited by Makrom
the info I need..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, guys!  I would really like to be able to play RSS/RO/RP1, and I would like to know your opinion if these two notebooks with different processors will run well with these mods that I mentioned, because I am thinking of buying one of them, but I am afraid to make a choice bad and not satisfied with the performance:

Notebook: Acer Nitro 5
CPU: i7 11800H 4.6Ghz 8 Core / 16 Threads
GPU: GTX 1650 4Gb VRAM
RAM: 16GB 3200 Mhz
SSD: 512Gb M.2 Nvme

Ou

CPU: i5 11400H 4.5Ghz 6 Core / 12 Threads

Obrigado!

Edited by Kaduloso_007

1 hour ago, Kaduloso_007 said:

Hey, guys!  I would really like to be able to play RSS/RO/RP1, and I would like to know your opinion if these two notebooks with different processors will run well with these mods that I mentioned, because I am thinking of buying one of them, but I am afraid to make a choice bad and not satisfied with the performance:

CPU: i7 11800H 4.6Ghz 8 Core / 16 Threads

Ou

CPU: i5 11400H 4.5Ghz 6 Core / 12 Threads

Obrigado!

Any of these will run KSP just fine. AFAIK, sadly, KSP is not really optimized for multi-threading so you won't get any real benefit with the I7 (comparing with the I5). Keep in mind that, when launching really big ships (which you'll eventually do if you want to play RSS seriously), you will have lag no matter how good your computer is, take a look at this video from Raiz Space where he tested a couple huge ship in a computer that seems to have even better specs than those you posted:

De nada.

Edited by mateusviccari

• 3 weeks later...

I want to get the SABRE working in my install, but the part just isn't showing up. I assume it's RO that is doing that although there are still config files for B9 and entries for the Sabre in RO, so I don't know why it would filter it out. Any ideas?

DW I had just copied it to the wrong install my B. btw  the 1.12  version of realism overhual had been great, I don't know if it's because 1.12 is just naturally more stable being able to use more RAM, the modders have stepped up there game, or a mix of the 2 but 1.12 with realism overhaul has been rock solid. Good job.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2023 at 6:15 PM, GuessingEveryDay said:

Are there any robotics mods that will work with KSP 1.12.4 with RSS? I found out that Infernal only works on 1.6...

There seems to be a version of Infernal Robotics that runs on 1.12: 

I know of a few mods that extend Breaking Grounds systems, there are probably more if you dig into the forum search. I haven't used them myself so you might have to test them:

Also...

... which has a BG compatible stuff: servo controller, more servos (Canadarm) and SLOTH. Also Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit (SOCK) comes with some robotics/canadarm. There's also an Inverse Kinematics mod or two (in-dev), plus I suppose BG itself, DockRotate, winches from KAS, Konstruction, perhaps Coriolis Systems (for deployable tethers). Not really tried them, and not sure how well they work in RSS/RO/RP-1 though. 

Can anyone tell my why im still getting random engine failures when i specifically turned the feature off and how i can go about stopping them from occurring in future?

these are the settings for those preferences from my save file so i don't see why i keep getting engines just shutting down mid flight

PreferencesReliability
        {
            highlights = True
            mtbfFailures = False
            criticalChance = 0
            safeModeChance = 0
            incentiveRedundancy = True
            engineFailures = False
            ignitionFailureChance = 0
            engineOperationFailureChance = 0
        }

On 3/24/2023 at 11:51 AM, sisyphean said:

Can anyone tell my why im still getting random engine failures when i specifically turned the feature off and how i can go about stopping them from occurring in future?

these are the settings for those preferences from my save file so i don't see why i keep getting engines just shutting down mid flight

PreferencesReliability
        {
            highlights = True
            mtbfFailures = False
            criticalChance = 0
            safeModeChance = 0
            incentiveRedundancy = True
            engineFailures = False
            ignitionFailureChance = 0
            engineOperationFailureChance = 0
        }

Could the failure be from something other than Kerbalism? (which is what that looks like it's from)

For instance, Real Fuels engines can fail if they ingest vapor, which can happen due to unstable ullage. In orbit it might happen because the fuel drifted around and you need to settle it with RCS or solid fuel rockets. (ullage motors). Stage separation during launch can cause it. In which case you need to either delay ignition  while ullage motors settle the tank or use hot separation. (where you ignite the next stage motor just before separation)

• 3 weeks later...

Let's say a person playing a non-RO game wanted to have engine thrust spool up and down instead of being instant on and off.  You can set useEngineResponseTime to True and then give some values for engineAccelerationSpeed and engineDecelerationSpeed.  The stock jet engines and solid rockets work this way, I think.  Smaller numbers mean a slower spin-up or down, bigger numbers mean quicker spin-up.

My gut says that liquid fuel rockets are somewhere in the middle between jets and solid rockets as far as how quickly they can respond.  I can take a WAG and make what "feels right" but is there any source of information for how long it took for e.g. the Rocketdyne J-2 to go from zero to full-thrust?  I've seen information about the 1, 3 or 8 second pre-burn for this specific engine, but what I'm talking about is how fast did it take to go from firing the spark plugs to running full blast.

Barring a documented source of information, is there some kind of rule of thumb that might inform an educated guess?

My understanding is that LF rockets do this in RO, but. . . I can't for the life of me figure out from the code/configs on the github where or how it is getting applied.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know why I can't see some parts from the FASA mod? I know it didn't install from ckan, I added it my self later. The titan booster is there and most of the parts are, but the MIRV and some other small parts are not. I think RO is blocking them, any way to stop that?

Please forgive me if this has been addressed, I DID search for it, but couldn't find it.   I've been a long time "player?" of KSP but have been away from it for a long time and attempting to get back into it.

I'm running the latest KSP (1.12.5.3190) and DID follow the installation instructions to the letter.  Using CKAN I installed the Realistic Progression One (RP-1) Express Install. which installed a BUNCH of stuff!  

The issue I'm having is after installing RO-1, (or even just RO) ALL of the stock space craft in my inventory have "locked or invalid parts".    What is the work around for this issue?  

I had the same issue running the previous version of KSP, but I did not install RP-1, only RO.

If there are any log files or images I need to attach, please let me know which ones and I'll get right on it.

Thanks!

TB2

UPDATE, I did read one post that the stock craft are no longer available.  That kind of sucks, but I'll play around with this and see if I want to keep it or not.

Edited by TBryson2

So, I'm pretty sure something to do with a recent update to Realism Overhaul/RP-0 has messed up adding oxygen to service modules. All of a sudden, it says lacking tech for oxygen.... but I'm already to SM level III and IV... way past the point when you research Crew Survivability. I can also add food and water no problem.

Edited by Minowara

On 5/30/2023 at 1:29 PM, Minowara said:

So, I'm pretty sure something to do with a recent update to Realism Overhaul/RP-0 has messed up adding oxygen to service modules. All of a sudden, it says lacking tech for oxygen.... but I'm already to SM level III and IV... way past the point when you research Crew Survivability. I can also add food and water no problem.

This is a known bug, and is fixed in the latest release. Update all your mods to get the fix.

On 5/26/2023 at 3:32 PM, vladbush said:

Anyone know why I can't see some parts from the FASA mod? I know it didn't install from ckan, I added it my self later. The titan booster is there and most of the parts are, but the MIRV and some other small parts are not. I think RO is blocking them, any way to stop that?

eh, you probably don't want those hidden parts as they probably aren't configured for RO. But if you really want them delete the RP1 express install folder from your gamedata

Edited by bill_billy_lee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How do you guys plan maneuvers with ion engines? Since the thrust is so mediocre and it takes months to do a burn, we can't reliably plan and execute a maneuver since ksp computes the burn as an instant impulse. I know Principia helps in this matter but my setup can't handle that mod. 

Edited by mateusviccari

• 1 month later...

I installed kronometer and it changes... nothing. Still stuck with the stupid 'year 1, day 1' type stuff.

Log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jk_7pEI10CoExbNT0M3_t34T0hqdlein/view?usp=drive_link

What am I doing wrong? I'm going to be very dedicated to RSS/RO from now on, so having realistic dates is going to be very important. :(