[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

Abpilot: I would certainly like to see the same thing soon, but I just double-checked (using the link on the initial post in this thread), and Real Heat, one of RO's pre-requisites, has yet to update.  Pushing mod makers to update when their mod's pre-requisites have not yet done so is futile (and will only serve to annoy them).  If something in Real Heat that RO uses changes when the former updates, the latter must take that change into account for its own update.  Real Heat is the only RO pre-req not yet compatible with 1.3 (or at least not throwing loading screen warnings) that I am aware of, so once it updates, everything should be in place for RO to do so as well.

On 17/10/2017 at 2:26 AM, cgwhite4 said:

Abpilot: I would certainly like to see the same thing soon, but I just double-checked (using the link on the initial post in this thread), and Real Heat, one of RO's pre-requisites, has yet to update.  Pushing mod makers to update when their mod's pre-requisites have not yet done so is futile (and will only serve to annoy them).  If something in Real Heat that RO uses changes when the former updates, the latter must take that change into account for its own update.  Real Heat is the only RO pre-req not yet compatible with 1.3 (or at least not throwing loading screen warnings) that I am aware of, so once it updates, everything should be in place for RO to do so as well.

And it seems that a branch of Real Heat is updated to 1.3 and is waiting for a merge in release since august :

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealHeat/pull/4

Hi all, 

I would like to know which RO dependency is actually breaking the RO experience with  KSP 1.3? 

I'm going to start to set up a full  KSP 1.3 RO/RSSVE. Looking at the dependencies & forks etc It seems that almost everything is available. 

I will go step by step, recompiling & fixing if I see any exceptions on the log.  

1 hour ago, jrodriguez said:

Hi all, 

I would like to know which RO dependency is actually breaking the RO experience with  KSP 1.3? 

I'm going to start to set up a full  KSP 1.3 RO/RSSVE. Looking at the dependencies & forks etc It seems that almost everything is available. 

I will go step by step, recompiling & fixing if I see any exceptions on the log.  

idk But Ask @Theysen if you are allowed to recompile RO To 1.3

@jrodriguez there is a spreadsheet with alle the dependecies and how far there are for 1.3 see here if i read that right, the only missing thing is the realismoverhaul.dll and enginegroupcontroller.dll

See also here https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/pull/1775

Edit: Testflight has a little questionmark. Cant remember right now, if the testflightcore works with the .dll's from here: https://github.com/KSP-RO/TestFlight/pull/176/files
         The rest i got working in 1.3.

Edited by JohnMcLane

One of these days, I am going to get brave enough to try this. I have been wanting to for a long time but I probably lack the skills needed or I just think I do. Stock KSP is semi easy enough. But as soon as this becomes happy with 1.3, I might give it a try and see how inadequate my building and flying skill really are. I must do much reading first I see. Where is the best place to read up on all that is required? I will certainly be reading the links in the OP. I also wonder if 1.4 is going to cause some grief for RO. I bet it will probably cause some grief for all modders. I would help if I could. Always did want to learn how. Is it too late to start into modding? Im not exactly a young one any more. Im sure its much harder than programming my CNC. lol At any rate, I have a desire to get into the world of RO.

4 hours ago, Kevin Kyle said:

One of these days, I am going to get brave enough to try this. I have been wanting to for a long time but I probably lack the skills needed or I just think I do. Stock KSP is semi easy enough. But as soon as this becomes happy with 1.3, I might give it a try and see how inadequate my building and flying skill really are. I must do much reading first I see. Where is the best place to read up on all that is required? I will certainly be reading the links in the OP. I also wonder if 1.4 is going to cause some grief for RO. I bet it will probably cause some grief for all modders. I would help if I could. Always did want to learn how. Is it too late to start into modding? Im not exactly a young one any more. Im sure its much harder than programming my CNC. lol At any rate, I have a desire to get into the world of RO.

The RealismOverhaul Wiki contains the most important pointers.

It might seem like a huge amount of new stuff, it actually is, but it is very rewarding :)

Building your first orbit capable rocket can be really interesting. Lots of fails, but each iteration, you will have learned something new, until you start blasting them into orbit fully manually, by the seat of your pants :)

The difference between ascent trajectories will probablxy freak you out, as well the long time it can take to get something into orbit. Even finalizing/circularizing your orbit after Apoapsis, when you are basically faling back to Earth, happens quite often^^

Staging can be funny, especially if it happens right in the wrong time, like during max Q on a buttheavy rocket, they tend to flip over and disperse themselves quite spectacularily or separated stages running into each other, fairings smashing into the rocket, SRBs detaching crappy and smacking your rocket, lots of fun, that's where the most Kerbal-actions happen :D

I found out for myself that engine burn time restrictions (TestFlight) are a really interesting factor.

It's never really too late for anything, go for it :D

That spreadsheet is indicating RealHeat as ready.  Found the .dll, downloaded it and swapped it for the old one.  The warning for RealHeat has stopped, but due to the RO compatibility issue, I still cannot clear the loading screen (which is showing signs of a invasion by dozens of feline aliens most likely sent by sarbian).

On 10/23/2017 at 5:54 AM, Kevin Kyle said:

Is it too late to start into modding? Im not exactly a young one any more. Im sure its much harder than programming my CNC. 

I'm not old but I can tell you modding may be perceived as difficult, but it is not. You might not find a better game to start modding on than KSP either. The community is willing to answer any question you have. Not to mention there is an entire thread filled with  tutorials to help you learn about modding KSP. I myself started modding because I wanted a Dragon V2 to play with. With no programming or artistic background I downloaded my first 3d program not even 5 months ago. Check out my page and see where I am now. Farther than I ever thought I would be.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

Im going to give it a try. Im hoping my cad.cam background will make it go a bit smoother. I have soooo much reading to do. I found those starting tutorials. I also need to find a spacecraft no one has done to work on. Ive already started reading. My only problem right now is I have a lot of Dyno parts to make before I have any real free time. Actually, maybe I should model one of my dyno parts as a first project since I know all those dimensions by heart. Would be worthless in KSP but might make a good first part to learn on.

Sorry for straying a little off topic

Edited by Kevin Kyle

I just finished reading all the Wiki's and my head is spinning a bit. Im going to have to absorb it all over the next day or 2. Im sure I will have some questions as I go and I would bet a lot of them have already been asked an answered. I am curious though about which mode to start out on. I have to assume that starting out in career mode should probably be avoided during the learning stages of RO? I guess we are in waiting mode at this time for some things to get updated so I should just wait a bit for things to settle before trying to install this? Looks like CKAN is the recommended method of installing? Never used it before, always did the manual install in KSP up to this point. My head is still spinning. :) Is there a recommended tutorial to look at going forward from here? I seen the Scott Manley video of installing RO, is it still viable at this time? Im going to go watch it just for some guidance for now anyway. I feel more rookie than ever now. lol

3 hours ago, Kevin Kyle said:

I just finished reading all the Wiki's and my head is spinning a bit. Im going to have to absorb it all over the next day or 2. Im sure I will have some questions as I go and I would bet a lot of them have already been asked an answered. I am curious though about which mode to start out on. I have to assume that starting out in career mode should probably be avoided during the learning stages of RO? I guess we are in waiting mode at this time for some things to get updated so I should just wait a bit for things to settle before trying to install this? Looks like CKAN is the recommended method of installing? Never used it before, always did the manual install in KSP up to this point. My head is still spinning. :) Is there a recommended tutorial to look at going forward from here? I seen the Scott Manley video of installing RO, is it still viable at this time? Im going to go watch it just for some guidance for now anyway. I feel more rookie than ever now. lol

I can only speak for myself but my very first time playing RO, I played in career mode.  I found it helped me by limiting the parts I had to chose from.  I also found it a useful way to learn the proper way to build, launch and fly rockets.  And with the current version of RP-0 (think I'm on 0.53) thee are a lot of extra contracts which also help you learn by doing.  One mod I would highly recommend that isn't on the RO list is the Historic Missions Contract Pack.  It'll add even more contracts which will help you learn how RO works.

We are waiting for the 1.3 (or 1.3.1) update to RO but playing on 1.2.2 works just about fine.  The only real concern you'll have is if you include TAC LS which (in 1.2.2) can't manage resources for inactive craft.  So you either have to stay with a manned craft for the duration of the flight or make sure you don't completely rely on life support systems (like CO2 scrubbers or oxygen generators).  But otherwise, playing RO on 1.2.2 is great.

Does Nathan Kells RO tutorial series still apply? Ive been watching those. Im on #3 so far, had to rewatch a couple of them. Never stopped to consider all of those little details before. I did notice that not all that many people have watched them. It seems the RO group is a rather small proportion of the player base.

Is there a better thread to be asking this stuff or is this thread fine for that?

17 hours ago, Kevin Kyle said:

Does Nathan Kells RO tutorial series still apply? Ive been watching those. Im on #3 so far, had to rewatch a couple of them. Never stopped to consider all of those little details before. I did notice that not all that many people have watched them. It seems the RO group is a rather small proportion of the player base.

Is there a better thread to be asking this stuff or is this thread fine for that?

I'd say you can ask anything regarding RealismOverhaul :)

And yes, Nathan Kell's tutorials still apply. The mechanics didn't change a lot between 1.0.3 and 1.2.2 iirc, besides comnet stuff.

I don't really know how many RO players actually exist, but I think it's actually quite a lot. At least enough to make this entire thing a... thing^^

I believe that quite a lot of bored NASA employees / desktop pilots have a secret KSP/RO install hidden behind a boss-screen :D

Attempting to install this. I have mostly used CKan but as you all know, not everything can be installed that way. I really hope I am doing this right. What about installing TacLifeSupport, RemoteTech,SemiSaturable Reaction Wheels. Dmagic Orbital Science, KAS, Scansat and those new parts? I see by ckan that some are already installed but I chose them based on ckan optional installs for RO. Im stopping for some breakfest as my tummy and my head needed a break. Havent tried to fire it up yet. I did a few visual installs too. What a daunting task.

Oh and contract packs and such, what about those or are they already there?

Edited by Kevin Kyle