[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

Hello, I have installed all the dependencies and the Realism Overhaul mod and in 1.4.2 it works correctly, when I open the game it tells me that it is not compatible but inside the game if it work so that the alert does not come out you just have to delete the DLL file

Is there Resource harvesting mod that is compatible* with realism overhual? Given what the next 10 years apparently have in stall in seems somewhat of a serious omission. Although honestly give SpaceX time I would assume the BFR missions to Mars would be more like in the early 2030's rather than the early to mid 2020's

But ISRU is real, if not dubious in it's utility for single missions at least, with a nuclear reactor and many missions it would be very useful though. Something else that I think would be nice if there was an ISRU package would be a nuclear reactor, but even I if I put my mind to it could mock that up without too much trouble so I suppose I would just be looking for the ability to mine resources and turn them into what I need with sufficient electric charge and a large mass penalty.

Edited by etheoma

5 hours ago, etheoma said:

Is there Resource harvesting mod that is compatible* with realism overhual? Given what the next 10 years apparently have in stall in seems somewhat of a serious omission. Although honestly give SpaceX time I would assume the BFR missions to Mars would be more like in the early 2030's rather than the early to mid 2020's

But ISRU is real, if not dubious in it's utility for single missions at least, with a nuclear reactor and many missions it would be very useful though. Something else that I think would be nice if there was an ISRU package would be a nuclear reactor, but even I if I put my mind to it could mock that up without too much trouble so I suppose I would just be looking for the ability to mine resources and turn them into what I need with sufficient electric charge and a large mass penalty.

I was about to ask if you had looked at Real ISRU, then saw that the last reply was yours.  :) 

I haven't used it, but I believe that would be your only real option. 

Question: I was looking to add another launchsite (the Punta Alta naval base in southern Argentina, where the prototypes for the Tronador II launch vehicle were launched), which would add a second site in the southern hemisphere for polar launches (and there are a bunch of islands just south of it, but I guess they are too close to recover the first stage on them. I also doubt any first stage would be able to fly 1400km to the Falklands for recovery there either) and I'm trying to keep the site above the ground and on plain terrain. What do the non obvious things in the cfg file do? ie:

Site
        {
            name = ar_puerto_Belgrano
            displayName = AR - Puerto Belgrano
            description = Puerto Belgrano is an Argentine Navy base, selected as the launch site by the Argentine space agency for the Tronador II launch vehicle  because of existing Navy facilities, security measures already in place, large enough available area, and a favorable location for launches into polar orbits
            PQSCity
            {
                KEYname = KSC
                latitude = -39.0793591
                longitude = -61.9892
                repositionRadiusOffset = 203
                repositionToSphereSurface = true
                lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
                reorientFinalAngle = 90
            }
            PQSMod_MapDecalTangent
            {
                radius = 20000
                heightMapDeformity = 100
                absoluteOffset = 150
                absolute = true
                latitude = -38.874167
                longitude = 62.105
            }
What does the stuff in bold in the PQSCity part does (and how does it help me to set up this thing properly) and what's the PQSMod_MapDecalTangent and is the heightMapDeformity meant to help with the terrain?

speaking of ISRU, Kerbalism has a chemical plant part with hydrazine production as one of its capabilities but it only produces monoprop for vanilla, has anyone made a patch to rectify?

14 hours ago, Philaphlous said:

I'm encountering an issue where after I launch to orbit it seems my craft no longer has engine gimbal... anyone encounter that? What am I missing here? I can only control my vehicle via RCS or the very weak reaction wheels...

Which engine, did you try other engines, there are engines who dont have gimbel.... hard to help with no information. If you using RP-0 also, you need to have enough avionics control to adjust attitude and co.

2 hours ago, JohnMcLane said:

Which engine, did you try other engines, there are engines who dont have gimbel.... hard to help with no information. If you using RP-0 also, you need to have enough avionics control to adjust attitude and co.

I believe it's with all the engines... Do I need to assign the last part meaning the spacecraft as the root object and also assign an engine ID to the engine? I'm trying to get the lh2 rl10 to work.

1 hour ago, Philaphlous said:

I believe it's with all the engines... Do I need to assign the last part meaning the spacecraft as the root object and also assign an engine ID to the engine? I'm trying to get the lh2 rl10 to work.

Right click the engine and make sure that its gimbal is not locked (Gimbal button should have Free next to it instead of Locked) and that the Gimbal Limit slider is at 100 percent.

It's the little things that count

Hello!  I started playing ksp again with RO version 1.3.1.  I've noticed a few little things that are missing compared with previous RO versions:

• I can't seem to find any radiators.  This makes inter-planetary travel with cryogenic fuels almost impossible.  Is this intentional (i.e. does the technology not exist in real life)?  All the future NASA / SpaceX missions seem to involve at least liquid oxygen, which boils off significantly for example when going to mars.  I select cryogenic tank type to minimize boil off but this is not enough for long distances.  

• In map view, zoomed out:   I could previously double click on the planet's orbit line to focus view on the planet.  Now I have to double click on the planet sphere itself, lot harder to do.

• In map view, zoomed out:  Directly looking down on the ecliptic plane is fine.  However when I adjust the camera viewing angle and zoom, I see a bunch of extra flickering lines / noise which makes it very hard to plan inter-planetary maneuvers (and also causes minor seizures :)).  I have seen a couple of discussions on this topic but no solution.  Maybe an Anti Aliasing setting? 

• I have the files for the SpaceX raptor engine in my directory (US engines pack), but it doesn't show in the VAB.  

As always, any solutions to the above would be much appreciated.  Happy space travels!

"Lift is a gift but thrust is a must."

4 hours ago, Galile-Ho said:

Hello!  I started playing ksp again with RO version 1.3.1.  I've noticed a few little things that are missing compared with previous RO versions:

• I can't seem to find any radiators.  This makes inter-planetary travel with cryogenic fuels almost impossible.  Is this intentional (i.e. does the technology not exist in real life)?  All the future NASA / SpaceX missions seem to involve at least liquid oxygen, which boils off significantly for example when going to mars.  I select cryogenic tank type to minimize boil off but this is not enough for long distances.  

• In map view, zoomed out:   I could previously double click on the planet's orbit line to focus view on the planet.  Now I have to double click on the planet sphere itself, lot harder to do.

• In map view, zoomed out:  Directly looking down on the ecliptic plane is fine.  However when I adjust the camera viewing angle and zoom, I see a bunch of extra flickering lines / noise which makes it very hard to plan inter-planetary maneuvers (and also causes minor seizures :)).  I have seen a couple of discussions on this topic but no solution.  Maybe an Anti Aliasing setting? 

• I have the files for the SpaceX raptor engine in my directory (US engines pack), but it doesn't show in the VAB.  

As always, any solutions to the above would be much appreciated.  Happy space travels!

"Lift is a gift but thrust is a must."

Every "issue" listed here except the last one has absolutely nothing to do with RO at all and can't possibly be caused by any direct RO related mods either so this is definitely not to right place to get help for that. As for the last thing, if the part is not showing in the VAB at all(not even as non RO) and you aren't getting any mm errors during game load, then this is not a Ro issue either but rather an issue with the part itself or how you installed it.

4 hours ago, Galile-Ho said:

RO configures all of the stock radiators to provide refrigeration for cryogenic tanks as long they are Real Fuels tanks. In fact, if anything, the stock radiators are overpowered.Other tanks by other mods may have their own boiloff implementation but those are not compatible and not supported so make sure you don't use those or you may get extra boiloff beyond what Real Fuels inflicts.

Aside from radiators, you can also add insulation to your tanks by right clicking them and looking for the MLI Layers slider. Adding insulation increases cost and mass. Cryogenic tanks already come with 10 layers of insulation aside from any insulation that you add. Adding insulation reduces the amount of heat leakage that needs to be removed by radiators.

For radiators with more realistic power requirements, try Real Active Radiators. Also fixes certain bugs that reduce radiator cooling power the faster you timewarp.

Be warned that the power requirements will be steeper than the stock radiators which use a flat rate. (a cheating rate). Real Active Radiators properly calculates the amount of cooling you actually get for a given input of power according to the Carnot equations. 

8 hours ago, river said:

Hey,

These two documents show that the RL10 CECE Base achieved a 17.6:1 throttling ratio.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20100032918.pdf

http://www.rocket.com/files/aerojet/documents/Capabilities/PDFs/RL10 data sheet Feb 2016.pdf

Perhaps that would be a better value instead of the current 15:1?

Make a PR

On 9/30/2018 at 6:39 PM, juanml82 said:

Hi, I'm casually going through this and I'm wondering if there are some good mods for hypersonic planes and maybe some sort of Skylon spaceplane that work well with RO

You can create a working Skylon pretty much from Procedural mods like I did. Other than that I can suggest installing B9 Aerospace which adds many spaceplane cockpits and fuselages.

TvC3R60.jpg

pOI1ESH.png

On 9/4/2018 at 12:23 AM, hargn said:

You should find the instructions to install it, only for KSP v1.3.1 in the wiki : https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/Setting-up-for-Development-Install-:Temp-Page:

Hey there

I was going through the instructions on this page to set up a new game. One of the instructions is to download a replacement DLL for RemoteTech and ContractConfigurator incompatibility. The file downloaded is called CC_RemoteTech.dll however this doesn't match the DLL files supplied by either RemoteTech or ContractConfigurator. Do I just add this file to the GameData folder, or does it need to be renamed to replace one of the files supplied by one of those mods?

Also are those instructions still valid. It seems the RO installation doesn't include some of the mods I'd expect to be included (such as Kerbal Construction Time). I'm not super familiar with the RO setup though, so I'm not entirely sure what mods should be included.

Thanks

16 hours ago, strudo76 said:

Hey there

I was going through the instructions on this page to set up a new game. One of the instructions is to download a replacement DLL for RemoteTech and ContractConfigurator incompatibility. The file downloaded is called CC_RemoteTech.dll however this doesn't match the DLL files supplied by either RemoteTech or ContractConfigurator. Do I just add this file to the GameData folder, or does it need to be renamed to replace one of the files supplied by one of those mods?

Also are those instructions still valid. It seems the RO installation doesn't include some of the mods I'd expect to be included (such as Kerbal Construction Time). I'm not super familiar with the RO setup though, so I'm not entirely sure what mods should be included.

Thanks

Contract Configurator 1.23.3 is for KSP 1.3.1 https://github.com/jrossignol/ContractConfigurator/releases/tag/1.23.3

and

RemoteTech 1..8.13.131 for 1.3.1 https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/releases/tag/1.8.13.131

no need for dll file change. I dont use RT, but CC works without problems.

personal i would use with RO, of course all the dependencies (ok, i dont use FAR, but thats because there where some bugs sometime ago) and than most of the Recommandations:

i dont use:
Remotetech: because of flightplanning and the flightcomputer that you have to program
SemiSaturableReactionWheels: last time i checked its not working in 1.3.1
TextureReplacer: only if you want to replace textures.....
Principia: its fun for gravitiy assist, but changes the way you make manouvers(and makes it a little bit harder and cpu intensitive)

DeadlyReentry: (i use it in an easier version) Reentries are really something, they have to be done right.

Other Mods
KerbalConstructionTime: A must in my opinion, adds construction times, roll out times and stuff. No building of 12 rockets on your first day in KSP :D
KRASH: Testflights/Simulations for your rockets, needed for KCT, because you cant launch, test and revert to VAB anymore with KCT
ShipManifest: Dump Fuel, change the location where the science data is stored in your ship, so you dont forget it at Mars,... really handy
KerbalAlarmClock: Alarm, so you never forget a probe landing at mercury without your supervision
Transferwindowplanner: calculates your transfers and needed deltaV to other planets and ats the launch windows to KAC
FlightPlan: shows you the flightplan of your craft, more important: You can click any entry to focus on celestial body or maneuver, thats such a live saver!

and of course RP-0 Dev version and dependencies, but that is something heavy, brings realistic progression with contracts, courses for astronauts, part tooling, procedural avionics and much more...

and so many nice parts packs.....thats the hardest thing to decide which ones to choooooose, or all of them if the pc can handle it :D

On 9/30/2018 at 5:39 PM, juanml82 said:

Hi, I'm casually going through this and I'm wondering if there are some good mods for hypersonic planes and maybe some sort of Skylon spaceplane that work well with RO

Use B9's Sabre engine if you are using Real Solar System edit the Sabre engine to have a vacuum Specific Impulse of 460 seconds leave the default sea level performancas it is not important as you will be up at 20km+ when you light the engines also change the thrust to 2,940 kN. Although I have the problem that the runway is not long enough as the Skylon is suppose to have a 5km runway, I carry a couple of tanks attached to the underside of the wing with a lead weight at the front and small winglets or fins what ever you what to call them at the rear.

Unfortunately however even though FAR is a better Aerodynamic simulation than stock, it still does not model lifting surfaces how they should be and simply models the angel of attack and generates lift based on that, so you will have to put tail fins on the back unlike the real Skylon which will add extra drag during hypersonic flight.

Oh I just realized are you asking for a complete craft, or the parts you can build your own with? Because I have built my own with parts available in B9 and RO, but I did have to edit the heat tolerance of the procedural tank up to 300 shy of the shielded one, also due as said due to the Skylon needing a longer runway I do have to use the rockets to take off and have added fuel tanks with parachutes that will land not too far from the runway so the percentage cost recovered is high.z

jI9mpin.jpg

you can build that yourself, although I must admit the first time it is a pain in the ass.

Edit: the deltaV stats are just for the take off rocket fuel, it has about 8 km/s of deltaV in rocket fuel after burning the hydrogen to get upto 1650 m/s in air breathing mode, which is enough to get you into a polar LEO orbit with a 17 ton payload. Also it's a pig to fly and you have to change the AoA to 200 before making your final pitch to put you into a 15 degree heading, 20 degree pitch from the horizon also making sure not to exceed 3G while trying to get that pitch and heading and even then I use AtmosphereAutopilot with Fly By Wire to reliably not blow up, I don't think it's a cheat to use that because craft like this wouldn't be flyable by a human unassisted IRL so it's fine, and Fly by wire isn't really an auto pilot, it just makes the plane super flyable.

I use mech jeb's Smart A.S.S to re-enter using the Surface SVEL+ at a 25 degree pitch, 0 roll, 0 Yaw then Switch over to AtmosphereAutopilot when I get below 3500 m/s then correct any deviation from where I want to land, I also save some hydrogen to run the air breathing engines so I have a large cross range ability.

Once you get down below 1700 m/s it's actually a nice plane to fly empty as it doesn't weight 320 tons as long as you have set your AoA right, and yes I matched the performance numbers on the Wiki page for Skylon and the Sabre engine for Wet mass, engine specific impulse and Thrust although editing air breathing engines is a b**** so I didn't change the air breathing thrust.

I keep asking for a edit for the RO file for B9, even gave the code for the edit, explained that it was editing the engine to be realistic, but nothing was done. If a proper modder were to do it then they could also edit the air breathing thrust. I can give you the code and instructions if you want to add it to your own instillation.

Although I suppose it should really be added under Real Solar System.

Edited by etheoma

btw is there a mod I can use to grow food with RO that is somewhat realistic, I have RealIRSU and I can make Water and Oxygen and I want to make a permanent Moon and Phobos base to Fuel and Refuel craft. Because I have set my self the limit of launching everything by something that has the same specifications as a Skylon 17 ton payload to LEO, and carrying up full tanks of of LOX or MethLOX would be very time consuming. So I plan to bring up empty tanks and refuel them in lunar orbit with a tug vehicle using a nuclear thermal rocket.

Also is there a way to service a NTR in orbit? Because 60 ignitions seems a bit limiting, I might change that to a more conventional rocket if there is no way to service them in orbit at the very least for Phobos.