[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

@Inspierio  Many of the dependencies haven't updated for 1.4 yet.

If you are on Steam previous versions should be available from Steam's Beta tab.  (On windows you right click on KSP in Steam - > properties -> Betas, and then select the version you want from the drop down tab).

Edited by AVaughan

So I just started playing RSS with RO and I have the following “need to knows” for new players that I wish I would have known myself:

1) Get the procedural fuel tanks and procedural fairings mods before starting. The default decouples, fuel tanks, and fairings generally do not work well and the sizes do not match up. I also highly recommend a dV calculator mod.

2) Remeber that engines have limted ignitions so besides planning on your total delta V requirements, also plan on WHEN you need those engines/dV and if you will need multiple ignitions in order to use the engine/fuel properly.

3) Almost always put RCS on your ship. You need it for both attitude control as well as for dealing with ullage.

4) Speaking of ullage, ALWAYS check your engine BEFORE starting the engine to make sure that ullage isn’t a problem. If it is a problem make sure to accelerate with your RCS for a few seconds and then start the engines.

5) When using procedural tanks, you MUST use the “service module” tank type if you don’t want your “liquid” fuels from completely boiling off within a few hours or days. This requires electric power to maintain, so ensure you bring adequate solar panels or batteries to keep your ship from running out of power.

5) Sometimes adding fuel to a tank decreases overall DV. As such make sure to play around with the fuel in all your stages to get a feel for how it affects the design. Also keep in mind bullet 2) as lower overall DV is better if it actually lets you use the engine properly. Otherwise you  might end up in orbit with an engine/fuel tank half full with no ignitions remaining!

6) The designs of rockets can feel counter intuitive compared to stock KSP. In general adding more fuel to a stage (especially the first stage if it is a liquid fuel booster) is usually a much better option than adding additional boosters if your craft has a high enough TWR already.

7) Beggining career mode (without RO - Zero in 1.3.1 as I don’t think it works yet) is fairly difficult because most engines don’t have a throttle so accomplishing certain contracts (such as hauling something in flight at a certain speed/altitude) can be extremely difficult. You also basically need to upgrade you’re launch pad and VAB as soon as possible because your ships will be WAY bigger and WAY heavier than in stock.

8) You will often have to use RCS to make orbital corrections because they don’t have limited ignitions so make sure you bring enough fuel for them.

9) Plan your launches so that you use a specific base at certain times of day in order to get the kind of inclination you need for your final orbit. The DV requirements to change your inclination in orbit of Earth is extremely high so you generally want to avoid having to do it by more than a few degrees at most.

10) In order to take a probe anywhere other than the moon, you will at least need the parabolic 4Tm anntena in one of the 300 science research nodes.

11) Adding crew to a part will increase the weight of the ship and will drastically decrease your delta V, unlike in stock KSP. As such make sure your ship is either loaded or unloaded (depending on its purpose) before designing the stages!

Edited by MechBFP

Quick question. I have a Ranger I probe core form SXT and I cannot get Ship Manifest to transfer experiments into it. I have tried comparing the configs to the Early Controllabe Core which I can transfer into to but do not see a difference. I know I had this working in 1.2.2 and even look through those configs to see if I could find something but no luck. Any thoughts on this? 

So I think I found a bug. 

I am unable to actually get science points from transmitting science from a probe UNLESS I set the antenna to allow partial transmissions.

With partial transmissions turned on, the transmit itself gets to 100% and then a second or two later I get another message with the amount of science I got from the transmitted data.

If require complete is turned on instead, it still transmits to 100% but I never get the second message and my total science doesn’t increase. If I look in the science archives I can see the experiments I ran in the list, but they are all at 0 science gathered. 

@smartdummies tagging you incase it is relevant to your issues. 

Edited by MechBFP

HI! Just a quick question, im still on the 1.2.2 set and will probably wait for the 1.4 to be released before updating (because lots of parts mod still are only compatible for 1.2.2).

I'm trying to find a working Soyuz TMA and Progress M for RO, i tried bobcat's, DECQ's but i can't find one that works fine ( i believe these are no longer supported). Some parts are missing and some parts do not work as they should. Any ideas on a working mod for these spacecrafts? 

Too bad they are discontinued though, they look sexy^^

10 hours ago, MechBFP said:

So I think I found a bug. 

I am unable to actually get science points from transmitting science from a probe UNLESS I set the antenna to allow partial transmissions.

With partial transmissions turned on, the transmit itself gets to 100% and then a second or two later I get another message with the amount of science I got from the transmitted data.

If require complete is turned on instead, it still transmits to 100% but I never get the second message and my total science doesn’t increase. If I look in the science archives I can see the experiments I ran in the list, but they are all at 0 science gathered. 

@smartdummies tagging you incase it is relevant to your issues. 

RO doesn't touch how science is collected. It only increases antenna ranges and only if you are using remotetech. It doesn't support the stock antennae at all. Also, any career related things are changed in rp0 not ro. So you should be posting about this issue there and not here.

Edited by raidernick

1 hour ago, raidernick said:

RO doesn't touch how science is collected. It only increases antenna ranges and only if you are using remotetech. It doesn't support the stock antennae at all. Also, any career related things are changed in rp0 not ro. So you should be posting about this issue there and not here.

I don’t have RPO installed at all as I am running 1.3.1 and as far as I am aware it hasn’t been updated for this version so I didn’t even bother looking at it  

I don’t have remote tech installed. I basically have the bare bones required for RSS+RO. I’ll post a list of mods later in any case when I am home. 

The attena I am using is the 4Tm parabolic one. I don’t remeber the exact name “RP-01 Parabolic” or something like that. Not stock in any case.

Thanks for the reply. :)

12 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

I don’t have RPO installed at all as I am running 1.3.1 and as far as I am aware it hasn’t been updated for this version so I didn’t even bother looking at it  

I don’t have remote tech installed. I basically have the bare bones required for RSS+RO. I’ll post a list of mods later in any case when I am home. 

The attena I am using is the 4Tm parabolic one. I don’t remeber the exact name “RP-01 Parabolic” or something like that. Not stock in any case.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Well RO doesn't support the stock career at all either...

Edited by raidernick

1 minute ago, raidernick said:

Well RO doesn't support the stock career at all either...

Not supporting it, and it knowingly causing issues are two different things though.

Is it just unsupported because it is an unbalanced mess or is there actually technical issues? 

I can’t see anything in the original post or the Wiki saying to not use career mode. 

1 hour ago, MechBFP said:

Not supporting it, and it knowingly causing issues are two different things though.

Is it just unsupported because it is an unbalanced mess or is there actually technical issues? 

I can’t see anything in the original post or the Wiki saying to not use career mode. 

RO doesn't touch stock career and the reason it doesn't support it is because it's not balanced for it at all, not because it breaks things. If it broke things way more than just two guys would be making complaints about it, especially seeing how long career has been out.

19 hours ago, raidernick said:

RO doesn't touch stock career and the reason it doesn't support it is because it's not balanced for it at all, not because it breaks things. If it broke things way more than just two guys would be making complaints about it, especially seeing how long career has been out.

The antenna in question is the “RA-15 parabolic antenna” which I have confirmed comes with RO. I haven’t had a chance to try other antennas so not sure if they also have the same problem or not. If anyone else reading this has had the same issue though, please let me know. I’ll try to do a test tonight with stock antenna and see if they act the same or not. I took a quick look at my mod list and it is literally just the mods core requirements + transfer window planner, KAC, procedural tanks, procedural fairings. Nothing that should touch antennas or science either. 

15 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@MechBFP Even if it is compatible with RO, the stock CommNet system is not supported by RO. RO recommends/requires RemoteTech in order for all the antennae to work.

Requires and recommended are 2 HUGELY different things. If things don’t work without it, then clearly it should be listed as a dependency. 

Considering RO. However, do not want to start game from scratch, or at least wish to preserve some of my craft already in orbit.

Does anyone have advice on modifying the save file from stock KSP to work with RO, e.g. by changing orbital parameters. Let's assume there are no problems with mod conflicts, missing parts, etc. Is there something else that I haven't thought of that makes this a foolhardy endeavor.

Yes, I know the best answer is to try it out, but thought I'd check with the collective wisdom.

Thanks.

@jiver RO is hugely different from stock.  Whilst it might be possible to change orbit parameters so that you can moving existing craft into an RO install, they probably won't be of any use except as passive rendezvous/docking targets.  You are better off starting a new game to learn RO mechanics.

@MechBFB RO without RP-0 isn't intended to be played in science or career mode, so it's quite likely that things like science transmission are only rarely tested.  And even when someone does test it, they probably have remote tech installed, because remotetech is sort of straddling the line between recommended and requires.  Things should work without it, but most people who are doing anything beyond playing in sandbox should have it installed.  RP-0, is Ro's career mode, and it requires all of RO recommended mods, and a quite a few more.  Hence there are probably very few players playing career in RO without remote tech installed.

I'm not sure where else to ask this since KSC switcher is now maintained by you RO guys.

Does any one have or know of any configs for KSC switcher for Kerbin? I don't want to use anything like Kerbal Konstructs as I am playing on a re-scaled Kerbin and things just end up all screwy even with Sigma's fixer, and I don't have the requisite free time to spend trying to locate decent spots and set up a config :/ I've already spent 4 days worth of free time building out this 1.3.1 install and I just wanna play!!!

If you know of a better venue for this question please direct me there and I will remove this comment.

Edited by Akira_R

5 hours ago, Akira_R said:

I'm not sure where else to ask this since KSC switcher is now maintained by you RO guys.

Does any one have or know of any configs for KSC switcher for Kerbin? I don't want to use anything like Kerbal Konstructs as I am playing on a re-scaled Kerbin and things just end up all screwy even with Sigma's fixer, and I don't have the requisite free time to spend trying to locate decent spots and set up a config :/ I've already spent 4 days worth of free time building out this 1.3.1 install and I just wanna play!!!

If you know of a better venue for this question please direct me there and I will remove this comment.

just to understand correct: you need cfg files for ksc switcher for kerbin rescaled x10 !?

i made a ksc swichter cfg for normal-scaled kerbin with 2 additional bases (kind of spacex and baikonur counterparts)

14 hours ago, Euer_Hochwuergen said:

just to understand correct: you need cfg files for ksc switcher for kerbin rescaled x10 !?

i made a ksc swichter cfg for normal-scaled kerbin with 2 additional bases (kind of spacex and baikonur counterparts)

Well I'm running a 3.2x rescale, and yeah I was mostly wondering if someone had already done the leg work of finding some good alternate ksc locations on Kerbin

On 5/17/2018 at 11:00 PM, Akira_R said:

Well I'm running a 3.2x rescale, and yeah I was mostly wondering if someone had already done the leg work of finding some good alternate ksc locations on Kerbin

Ok i made a quick heightmapfix to fit with the 3,2x rescale but i cant test it.
Feel free if you want to try them

and the normal ones just in case

Edited by Euer_Hochwuergen

Has anybody here gotten Tweakscale to work in the RO suite?

In my previous RO install, Tweakscale worked like a charm, but now I'm getting two scale sliders. One is just allows the integer values 1 & 2 and has no effect on the size of the part, the second slider just says "default" and also does nothing.

Hey guys, new mod here to replace Heat Pump mod for Real Fuels.

This is intended to be used with the latest version of Real Fuels and its new insulation system to reduce or eliminate boiloff. It works a bit differently than Heat Pump did in that how efficiently it can cool depends on the temperatures of parts being cooled and the temperature of the radiator; it's harder to pump heat from cold pumps to hot radiators so it uses the same equations used to determine a real heat pump's efficiency (refrigerators, air conditioners, cryocoolers, etc).  It extends and replaces the stock radiators so it will work with stock systems such as the converters and Core Heat.

Hope this hasn't been asked before but I can't find it.

Are there any packages that provide large,  high temperature landing gear for RO.  (something like the legs on SpaceX boosters). I'm playing around with reusuable rockets, but its very difficult to get standard landing gear to retract behind a heat shield without doing something that looks dumb.

17 hours ago, frisch said:

Hope this hasn't been asked before but I can't find it.

Are there any packages that provide large,  high temperature landing gear for RO.  (something like the legs on SpaceX boosters). I'm playing around with reusuable rockets, but its very difficult to get standard landing gear to retract behind a heat shield without doing something that looks dumb.

We should make KRE by embersarc compatible 

Edited by Theysen

On 2/1/2018 at 3:58 PM, arconaut said:

I have Tantares and TantaresLV installed but it says the parts are non-RO, is anyone else having this problem?

Since I didn't see a followup to this I'd like to bring this up. somewhere along the way the part names for TantaresLV's parts name structure in their config files changed and there hasn't been any update to the compatability path to reflect that.

For example:

RO calls for: ALV_Engine_A for the proton rocket

TantaresLV has since renamed the engine to: ALV_1_Engine_1 (not sure when this changed, but it was pre-1.3.1 release)

Since this naming scheme was changed for every TantaresLV part they will not be compatible unless a) you go through the comp. patches and make them point to the correct name or b) you wait until someone updates the patch.

I'd do this myself, but even though I really, REALLY, love TantaresLV's designs I'm about burnt out on modding text files for this game for the time being. If I change my mind at some point I'll try my best at guessing which part matches the new naming structure (the biggest headache in all of this, since some of the naming structures had me scratching my head as to what part they were referring to) and post it.

I've decided to at least start a project for this on my github. After I get it organized I'll throw a link up for it.

Here: https://github.com/shoe7ess/KSP/tree/master/RSS-RO/RO_SuggestedMods/Tantares

Edited by shoe7ess