[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

On 5/25/2018 at 4:38 AM, frisch said:

Hope this hasn't been asked before but I can't find it.

Are there any packages that provide large,  high temperature landing gear for RO.  (something like the legs on SpaceX boosters). I'm playing around with reusuable rockets, but its very difficult to get standard landing gear to retract behind a heat shield without doing something that looks dumb.

I increased max temp values for Procedural Fairings so now they can work as a heatshield, at least for Mars landings:

cJsRbqX.png

Regarding landing gears I have RO/RP-0 configs for Adjustable Landing Gears which are now a part of Kerbal Foundries.

Is anyone else having the problem where your rocket magically gains a ridiculous amount of speed, an acceleration in excess of 100g and teleports into space, breaking everything due to g-forces? I've tried to find anyone else who has this problem, but I seem to be the only one. It seems to be a problem with the snubotron. I think it's because the engine experiences infinite acceleration when it reaches 0 fuel because the engine is massless, I would like to fix this, but I can't find the config file.

Please help

1 hour ago, dlathro1 said:

Is anyone else having the problem where your rocket magically gains a ridiculous amount of speed, an acceleration in excess of 100g and teleports into space, breaking everything due to g-forces? I've tried to find anyone else who has this problem, but I seem to be the only one. It seems to be a problem with the snubotron. I think it's because the engine experiences infinite acceleration when it reaches 0 fuel because the engine is massless, I would like to fix this, but I can't find the config file.

Please help

Maybe this will help

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/master/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/VSR/RO_VSR_Engines.cfg

Players struggling with boiloff in the latest Real Fuels (particularly if trying the new radiator mod) should download this file into their RealFuels folder:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/NathanKell/ModularFuelSystem/master/RealFuels/RealSettings.cfg

It will improve the situation when landed on a planet with atmosphere or just when sitting on the pad or ascending through the atmosphere. It will not affect conduction into the tank when in vacuum at all but at least the tank won't have heated up so much before it got to space)

Edited by Starwaster

On 3/24/2018 at 4:38 PM, kerboman25 said:

Hey guys,

i have a little question regarding SRB's cost in game, are they realistic??? I mean i can launch a rocket with a payload capacity of 32T in LEO by using 2 UA1207 SRM's for about 52K while i can do the same and even better (35T LEO) with 4LFB's using NK33's for about 33K. I read online that the use of LFB's in real life is a lot more expensive but the game does not realy reflect that.

Yep, SRBs are very unbalaced in RP-0 and NK-33 on the other hand are absurdally cheap (but also very unreliable if you play with TestFlight).

If you want I can give you a link to my updated RP-0 tree with modified costs for SRBs and various LFB's to make them much more balanced. For instance NK-33 are two times more expensive in my installation (and they're still very cheap for their performance) while SRBs are 2-3x less expensive on average. After my changes SRBs  are one of the the most cost efficient as a first stage, while being crappy as a second and third stage.

51 minutes ago, winged said:

Yep, SRBs are very unbalaced in RP-0 and NK-33 on the other hand are absurdally cheap (but also very unreliable if you play with TestFlight).

If you want I can give you a link to my updated RP-0 tree with modified costs for SRBs and various LFB's to make them much more balanced. For instance NK-33 are two times more expensive in my installation (and they're still very cheap for their performance) while SRBs are 2-3x less expensive on average. After my changes SRBs  are one of the the most cost efficient as a first stage, while being crappy as a second and third stage.

I have to agree when we are talking about KSP 1.2.2/RP-0. In KSP 1.3.1/RP-1 they introduced a tag system to most parts that is used for adding a pricing multiplier to rollout costs. In case of turbopump engines, that modifier is 4 whereas solids only have a multiplier of 1.1. So even though a SRB part may cost 2 times as much as an liquid engine + tank, the final cost will actually be slightly cheaper when you also factor in the rollout costs. Unfortunately those multipliers are not documented anywhere and you have to poke around in the config files to find the actual multipliers for each tag.

I'm wondering if someone can help me figure out why RO isn't working for me. When I start the game it puts me on a regular sized Kerbin, though the other mods show they are installed and I even have the buttons/bars in-game for the rest of the mods. Here's my process:

1.Uninstall CKAN/KSP and reboot system.

2. In steam make sure KSP is in betas/1.3 and uncheck the DLC so it does not download. Install game after checking both.

3. Download CKAN from link on first page making sure it's the most recent version, then put in the KSP folder

4. Launch CKAN and check RO option.

5. Install RO and all dependencies/suggested files through CKAN.

6. Close CKAN, reboot computer.

7. Start KSP from CKAN -or- from the root folder the x64 version

8. Don't profit....because it's noraml Kerbin with all the other mods installed.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I looked through several pages of the post but couldn't find anything addressing this. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Elon Kerman Jr said:

Can someone tell me how I can download this with ckan and still have my normal 1.4.3 save and stuff and how can I switch back 

You will have to go into your steam files where KSP is installed.  Just rename your KSP 1.4.3 folder.  Now go back to steam and uninstall KSP.  Nothing will happen here, it just gets us ready for the next steps.  Now right click KSP in steam and select properites, and head over to betas.  In the dropdown select KSP 1.3.1.  Now install KSP like you normal would, and presto!  KSP 1.3.1.

I would always suggest renaming your KSP folder so that Steam never auto updates it.  Having multiple KSP installs is just being a master KSP player :cool:

4 minutes ago, Elon Kerman Jr said:

@DeltacThanks but what would I name in the ksp folder and do I need to put the 1.4.3 in a separate folder then unistall ksp and get 1.3.1 

We're talking about the Kerbal Space Program folder.  You just rename it.  Nothing needs to be moved.  Steam will not delete that folder because you renamed it.

13 minutes ago, Deltac said:

We're talking about the Kerbal Space Program folder.  You just rename it.  Nothing needs to be moved.  Steam will not delete that folder because you renamed it.

Ok just wondering because I don't want to mess thi up as I have lots of saves

8 hours ago, Elon Kerman Jr said:

@DeltacThanks but what would I name in the ksp folder and do I need to put the 1.4.3 in a separate folder then unistall ksp and get 1.3.1 

Also when you have a clean 1.3.1 install in a seperate folder make sure you run the game at least once before proceeding with installing RO from CKAN.

3 hours ago, Jeb's Pirotecnics Guy said:

By any chance is anyone using the launchers pack (Space X Rockets) having only the falcon 1 parts as RO compatible but the Flacon 9 Parts keep saying Non-RO.

not a bug there are no configs for the newer falcon rockets because nobody wants to make them. I did the configs for all the other kk rockets but since I don't like spacex i didn't do the newer stuff.

4 minutes ago, raidernick said:

not a bug there are no configs for the newer falcon rockets because nobody wants to make them. I did the configs for all the other kk rockets but since I don't like spacex i didn't do the newer stuff.

What can I do to get them to be RO compatible, I know it's possible since I've scene Youtubers like Marcus House using them.

7 hours ago, Jeb's Pirotecnics Guy said:

What can I do to get them to be RO compatible, I know it's possible since I've scene Youtubers like Marcus House using them.

6 hours ago, raidernick said:

make the configs...

Exactly. Make the configs and Test them and then PLEASE - 

submit them to the RO GitHub repo so they don’t start scattering and become „exclusive“ to some people, were a big community and we’d love to have the same basis for everyone. :) 

2 hours ago, Theysen said:

Exactly. Make the configs and Test them and then PLEASE - 

submit them to the RO GitHub repo so they don’t start scattering and become „exclusive“ to some people, were a big community and we’d love to have the same basis for everyone. :) 

Um, I'm not a mod maker

The most I know is how to some what edit kopernicus planets.

Edited by Jeb's Fireworks Guy

On 1/28/2017 at 5:38 AM, Theysen said:

Texture Replacer

Why is TR recommended?? It has nothing to do with realism... In fact, it doesn't even add parts. It just allows you to change textures. Just wondering. Thanks!