[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

R E A L I S M   O V E R H A U L

KSP-1.12-orange  687474703a2f2f696d672e736869656c64732e69  License-CC--BY--SA-yellowgreen

screenshot196.png

Intention: 

Realism Overhaul is a mod that makes Kerbal Space Program behave more like real life. If you're interested in seeing what it's like to fly rockets in the real world, this is the mod for you! Realism Overhaul does this by combining and configuring other mods, and mod and stock parts to perform as their real-life equivalents. You can expect things to be a little harder, and rockets to be a bit bigger, but the scenes far more epic, and the accomplishment that much greater.

Some of the most signfiicant changes include:

• Engines have real sizes and performance values, and use real fuels. Most of them have limited ignitions and suffer from ullage.
  • Pods are as large as their real-life counterparts and weigh what they should.
  • Propellant tanks have correct dry mass ratios.
  • Solar panels don't produce massive amounts of energy, but they are lighter. Similarly reaction wheels aren't magically powerful anymore (though they still don't require momentum dumping).

screenshot306.png?width=1093&height=684screenshot315.png?width=1214&height=683

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Contributors to Realism Overhaul:

A1Ch1, Raidernick, james3838, camlost, JandCandO, Sarbian, marcelocoelhorodrigues, NathanKell, hattivat, batuhan, Ravenchant, bax-, advice-dawgg, jean400, RedAV8R, jedi95, MedievalNerd, regex, Felger, Temeter, Replica17, veskenapper, ferram4, leudaimon, BevolJ, RezzyD, Agathorn, TheKosmonaut, TheVoid2, Theysen, Phredward, ChrisPBacon, Kibbick, Niemand303, AlimOncul, AjentK, pjf, rocketscience, John-Long-Silver, doktorjet, Ippo343, Dragon01, Probus, BryceSchroeder, Bsd0, asmi, Starman4308, stratochief66, StupidChris, OvidHamburg, awang, winged, rsparkyc, PhineasFreak, Zarbizaure, JoseEduardo, ctiberious, SirKeplan, Schnobs, pap1723, ec429, assassinacc, AntiClockwisePropeller, AlphaMike741, olympic1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

RealismOverhaul Wiki

P

Installation

In the current state of the mod's development and future, accurate and proofed-to-be-working installation instructions can be found here:

Installation Guide

You can ignore the RP-1 part later on that page, if you do not intend to play a career mode.

Support

No support is granted without providing logs and easy to follow reproduction steps. Also make sure to drop by the official discord server where active users can provide help! https://discord.gg/ZGbR6nv

Legacy / Manual Installation (expand)

Spoiler

Original Installation: 

To install Realism Overhaul you can either use CKAN, or do things manually. IF YOU HAPPEN TO INSTALL IT MANUALLY - USE ONLY THE MODULARFLIGHTINTEGRATOR VERSION SUPPLIED BY KOPERNICUS.

Pre-Packaged installation via CKAN

CKAN is an excellent tool for installing mods in an orderly fashion. We have prepared a set of installation packages for the mods in Realism Overhaul. Here follow instructions for how to install via CKAN (alternatively check out the CKAN User's Guide):

1. Start out by creating a clean installation of KSP. (If you don't, beware the dragons!)
  2. Download the latest CKAN release here and install it accordingly (preferred to move the ckan.exe into the fresh parent directory of the new KSP installation folder).

CKAN offers you two modes of use. You can use the graphical user interface, as explained below, or you can use its command line interface. If you wish to do the latter, check out the CKAN user's guide for more information on the command line interfrace.

1. Launch the CKAN GUI by double-clicking the ckan.exe in your KSP directory
  2. Use the Filter to find Realism Overhaul
  3. Select Realism Overhaul to install
  4. Click Go To Changes
  5. Proceed through the menus to select your installation.
  6. Watch CKAN install Realism Overhaul and all the other mods for you
  7. Launch KSP. Enjoy!

Alternative: Manual Installation

If you don't like automation, there's always the old 'by hand' way:

1. Start with a fresh, unadulterated, install of KSP.
  2. Download and install the required mods. Ensure you have the most up to date version and have followed their respective installation instructions.
  3. Download and install Realism Overhaul itself. To do so, download the zip archive and unzip all folders inside its GameData folder into your KSP/GameData folder.
  4. Launch KSP. Enjoy!

IMPORTANT - DELETE YOUR OLD REALISM OVERHAUL FOLDER!

D O W N L O A D

(1.10)

Source

Changelog

Career Mode - Realistic Progression One: 

If you are interested to take Realism Overhaul to a whole different level of playing KSP, you might be interested in the accompanying suite of mods. It integrates a completely new career system tailored for an early realistic space race and spreading into the modern ages - all at your own imagination and approach.

The working installation instructions can be found on the GitHub wiki page.

This mod was created by NathanKell and RedAV8R, Contributions by many others. If you were missed in the contributors list at the top of the post, PM Theysen and he'll add you).

Edited by Theysen
Update

Hum...

Unless for space suits, I don't believe that Texture Replacer add some realism. I believe that it doesn't make the game more difficult too.
Maybe the color isn't chosen very well?

I also think that the links should be updated.

But thanks to you @Theysen for this new thread (where I've a good place too :P)

You are awesome, and to be even more awesome add the Space Launch System ... pronto :D

If needed i can provide rescales and facts

and just to repeat you are awesome!

Thank a thousand times for your hard work!

Edited by TTKramer

1 hour ago, DECQ said:

Strange, why update the thread if it is not 1.2.2.

This is a pure "revive" of the last current RO thread which went missing in the forum kraken attack a few weeks back and is still the latest version of Realism Overhaul. Once 1.2.2 RO goes out of prerelease this will be the thread which will be updated as well. Hope that answers your question.

3 hours ago, hargn said:

Hum...

Unless for space suits, I don't believe that Texture Replacer add some realism. I believe that it doesn't make the game more difficult too.
Maybe the color isn't chosen very well?

I also think that the links should be updated.

But thanks to you @Theysen for this new thread (where I've a good place too :P)

This is a pure rebuilt from the waybackmachine of the missing thread. I didn't change anything but will do so over the weekend - since I had exams until now. I will check the links for working versions for the 1.1.3 version of RO. Once 1.2.2 is out those mod links will be updated to the 1.2.2 compatible versions (be it forum threads or forks on github from otherwise deprecated mods). We will also review part mods which got RO compatibility in the mean time to add them in the OP as well. Thanks for pointing out the TR color mismatch :) 

2 hours ago, Theysen said:

This is a pure "revive" of the last current RO thread which went missing in the forum kraken attack a few weeks back and is still the latest version of Realism Overhaul. Once 1.2.2 RO goes out of prerelease this will be the thread which will be updated as well. Hope that answers your question.

Should this not be 1.1.3 then?

2 hours ago, Sol Invictus said:

Besides, there is already thread for 1.1.2 Realism Overhaul on the forum. What went missing is thread for 1.1.3, as rsparkyc said. Now it's even more confusing than before, as there are two semi-identical threads for 1.1.2 RO.

No. Look at the last page and see that this thread has been closed due to creating a new OP back in May of 2016. The new one was originally posted by @stratochief66 - but again: It went missing in the forum voids. As @stratochief66 asked to have a new one created by the waybackmachine this is what I did. I hope this clears your misunderstanding. There is no confusion as you can't even post in the other one. 

21 minutes ago, Theysen said:

No. Look at the last page and see that this thread has been closed due to creating a new OP back in May of 2016. The new one was originally posted by @stratochief66 - but again: It went missing in the forum voids. As @stratochief66 asked to have a new one created by the waybackmachine this is what I did. I hope this clears your misunderstanding. There is no confusion as you can't even post in the other one. 

Perhaps we could use this cached copy, it seems more up to date:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:mPTqhScKNiQJ:forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php%3F/topic/140070-113-realism-overhaul-v1132-august-31/%26page%3D1+&cd=18&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

2 minutes ago, rsparkyc said:

Sorry, I was stuck in the edit mode for 20 minutes. The current OP now should be inline with those except updated mod thread links. Thanks for the digging though. :)

1 hour ago, dennislee said:

I have problems engine turning off too early... Does anyone know how to solve this?

If you have TestFlight installed as recommended by RO, then you have your explanation.

TestFlight simulates the lack of reliability of untested rocket engines : more you fly with an engine, more it is reliable.
You can also pay for R&D for engines that increase their reliability for the first time you fly with them.
I encourage you to read the mod's thread to know how it works.

Edited by hargn

4 hours ago, hargn said:

If you have TestFlight installed as recommended by RO, then you have your explanation.

TestFlight simulates the lack of reliability of untested rocket engines : more you fly with an engine, more it is reliable.
You can also pay for R&D for engines that increase their reliability for the first time you fly with them.
I encourage you to read the mod's thread to know how it works.

I don't think I have TestFlight...

5 hours ago, dennislee said:

I have problems engine turning off too early... Does anyone know how to solve this?

Do you have MechJeb installed and clicked 'Limit Acceleration' ? If you don't leave it a minimum greater than 0, it tries to throttle down - which doesn't work with real engines of course (most of them). Then MechJeb sets throttle to 0 at some point. Try to check those settings. 

20 hours ago, Theysen said:

Do you have MechJeb installed and clicked 'Limit Acceleration' ? If you don't leave it a minimum greater than 0, it tries to throttle down - which doesn't work with real engines of course (most of them). Then MechJeb sets throttle to 0 at some point. Try to check those settings. 

I think thats the problem. I'll try to do that  

I need some advice for Venus entrys. I tried one with a 90km periapse, a pretty light craft and a 2m lunar heat shield. It just burned up instantly.

So I have some questions:

1. Is a Venus entry possible with a lunar rated heat shield? And if not with what is it possible?

2. Do I need to go in more gradually, maybe with multiple aerobraking passes?

3. Will a Kevlar-Parachute survive?

4. Someone told me that the reentry corridor is 90-105 km periapse. What's you opinion on that?

Thanks a lot for any help!

22 hours ago, Warp11 said:

I need some advice for Venus entrys. I tried one with a 90km periapse, a pretty light craft and a 2m lunar heat shield. It just burned up instantly.

So I have some questions:

1. Is a Venus entry possible with a lunar rated heat shield? And if not with what is it possible?

2. Do I need to go in more gradually, maybe with multiple aerobraking passes?

3. Will a Kevlar-Parachute survive?

4. Someone told me that the reentry corridor is 90-105 km periapse. What's you opinion on that?

Thanks a lot for any help!

1) A Venus entry with a lunar rated shield is possible even from an hyperbolic trajectory. I usually set the periapsis above 100km (trajectories mod helps a lot for this) but still a lot depends on your speed and on what your are trying to land. 

2) You can do that, you can do a lot of things with Venus atmosphere you can even enter the atmosphere on the dark side and aerobrake until the illuminated side (I think venera 9 and 10 did something similar)

3) Yes, yet you may just need a flat surface to brake you down. Venus atmosphere is very thick. 

4) See 1 :)

Edited by Epox75

Been looking around for any news on this - 1.2.2 has been out for a while, when are we getting the update for RO?
Trying to run this on the latest version, and i'll probably just downgrade in a week or so to have RO run correctly.  
I'd happily play a dev version of a 1.2.2 RO, if there is one.

On 25/02/2017 at 9:03 PM, mered4 said:

Been looking around for any news on this - 1.2.2 has been out for a while, when are we getting the update for RO?
Trying to run this on the latest version, and i'll probably just downgrade in a week or so to have RO run correctly.  
I'd happily play a dev version of a 1.2.2 RO, if there is one.

Yes! I have the same question. Doesn't it seem a bit like production grinded to a halt?