[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

@OswaldiusB, realplume is the only graphics mod I permit myself because of hardware limitations. 

It is possible to improve performance but there will probably be limitations.

It seems that some plumes take more resources than others, such as SRBs. I set the smokescreen config to 300. 

Right at launch I get a yellow clock, but after the boosters burn out I get a green clock (as long as the camera is pointing away from the planet.

@Aviator17, do you have KSP 1.2.2 installed? 

Edited by Nightside
Question

I'm getting a strange bug trying to land on the moon. The de-orbit and landing process goes almost smoothly, except that when I reach ~3-2 km altitude, it's as if the game disregards my engines and my velocity slowly starts increasing as I'm apparently plummeting down at this point

album of the bug

Edited by KAO

Hello everyone! I'm writing this here not to blame RO for my issues but because RO (in its dependencies) contains almost all of my installed mods :)

I'm having issues on reentry in Earth amosphere. My KSP version is 1.2.2, my modlist is here (it's mainly RSS-RO-RP0 and their dependencies, recommended and some of the suggested mods, plus Chatterer and RSSVE for immersion). After a buggy RP0 CKAN install, I forced myself into manual installing all of the above mods so I *think* they should be all 1.2.2 compatible since I spent an entire afternoon searching on githubs and spacedock for them. 

Problem is, when I launch let's say an Aerobee sounding rocket, capable of reaching 500km apoapsis (sandbox mode for test purposes) and consequently hitting the thinnest parts of the atmosphere on my way back at approx. 2500m/s, air starts to slow me down, I reach ridicolously high G-forces (console tells me 118.8G) until I touchdown terrain at what I think is my terminal velocity (300-500m/s so i presume drag is calculated right) without burning up in the process. I first thought "Hey, maybe newer heat systems are a bit too forgiving, let's try again!", so I launched an A-4 rocket using pre-built parts that I think come from Taerobee. With that rocket, after a vertical ascent, I touched down Earth at about 1000m/s and that's what is making me think that there's definitely something wrong happening. 

My last output log is available here , the two launches mentioned above are in there, as well as others I don't remember correctly; I'm asking for help and I apologize for my bad english and possibly posting in wrong thread

1 hour ago, Lornuir said:

Hello everyone! I'm writing this here not to blame RO for my issues but because RO (in its dependencies) contains almost all of my installed mods :)

I'm having issues on reentry in Earth amosphere. My KSP version is 1.2.2, my modlist is here (it's mainly RSS-RO-RP0 and their dependencies, recommended and some of the suggested mods, plus Chatterer and RSSVE for immersion). After a buggy RP0 CKAN install, I forced myself into manual installing all of the above mods so I *think* they should be all 1.2.2 compatible since I spent an entire afternoon searching on githubs and spacedock for them. 

Problem is, when I launch let's say an Aerobee sounding rocket, capable of reaching 500km apoapsis (sandbox mode for test purposes) and consequently hitting the thinnest parts of the atmosphere on my way back at approx. 2500m/s, air starts to slow me down, I reach ridicolously high G-forces (console tells me 118.8G) until I touchdown terrain at what I think is my terminal velocity (300-500m/s so i presume drag is calculated right) without burning up in the process. I first thought "Hey, maybe newer heat systems are a bit too forgiving, let's try again!", so I launched an A-4 rocket using pre-built parts that I think come from Taerobee. With that rocket, after a vertical ascent, I touched down Earth at about 1000m/s and that's what is making me think that there's definitely something wrong happening. 

My last output log is available here , the two launches mentioned above are in there, as well as others I don't remember correctly; I'm asking for help and I apologize for my bad english and possibly posting in wrong thread

must be Far(ferram aerospace research)

o think so because is the only mod that changes aerodamics

Tried again with a basic RP-0 reinstall (with no mods but required ones), still having the same issues with aerodynamics. Maybe I'm wrong, but i don't think it is possible or intended to touch down Earth at about 950m/s with no additional acceleration but g. Still testing...

OK, I watched every video on RSS i could find on this subject but I can't get this to work.

I'm having trouble launching to the moon, in every video I watch I see people use mechjeb to launch into the plane of the moon from KSC using the "launch into target plane" option in ascent guidance and it works. However when I try it, it never seems to work, I Always end up in some wonky plane needing 2KM of dV to adjust it.

I watched Nathankell's video's and I see his mechjeb giving a 28 degree launch angle, but mine shows something like -5 degrees which never works.

Also when looking at the rendesvous planner my relative inclination never neems to drop below 23 degrees, no matter how much time I go forward.

Am I missing someting here???

is my install wrong? or do i need to change something in my mechjeb settings?

2 hours ago, Rob K said:

I'm having trouble launching to the moon, in every video I watch I see people use mechjeb to launch into the plane of the moon from KSC using the "launch into target plane" option in ascent guidance and it works. However when I try it, it never seems to work, I Always end up in some wonky plane needing 2KM of dV to adjust it.I

I'm not really sure of what you are doing wrong, 2000m/s dV is a BIG deviation, but I'll try to help:

1. You will never be able to, at launch, get an orbital inclination less than your launch latitude (the laws of physics (gravitation) so demand... sorry :) ). You can, afterwards, reduce the plane inclination when you pass Earth's equator, of course. At the expense, usually, of large amounts of dV...

2. I assume you are launching from Kennedy Space Center. KSC is at a latitude of 28.5N, considering that the Moon orbit has an inclination from 18.29 to 28.58 relative to Earth's equator this is just perfect :) if and only if you choose the correct date to launch, that is. So, please, check the time of the year when you are launching.

3. You do not, actually, need to launch into the plane of the Moon to get there, the most important is the timing, so that you reach Moon's sphere of influence (it has quite a big one, it should be easy enough). Sometimes, depending where in the moon you want to go, you may even find it more interesting launching off the plane of the moon.

4. If you have to make a plane correction, and you, almost certaintly, will. Do it midcourse! Those 2000m/s dV you are getting is because you are trying to match planes while on LEO! Once in LEO just plot an approximate course and then insert a node midcourse and make a correction there using MJ node editing. You'll se it is much less expensive. Apollo 11 did a midcourse correction of around 20m/s and when replicating that mission I made a 171m/s correction to get where I wanted. Yes, it was that cheap :)

5. Final advice. I use mechjeb for the Saturn V, SI-C only, from there on I prefer manual flight. Launch from KSC on heading 090 yielding a true flight path azimuth of around 072 and an inclination of around 30 degrees, which was almost as Apollo 11 did... Watch my flight here:

Have fun, and remember... "We go to the Moon not because it's easy, but because it is hard :) )

Edited by Jaeleth

Well I figured it out...

Somehow the 23 degrees of inclination I was missing sounded familiar and I took another look at my game. Somehow I forgot to remove RSS Expanded after fooling around with it and trying to get it to work. In one of its configs it sets earth's inclination back to 0 degrees, making it so the moon never gets over KSC.

Stupid stupid me.....

What happened to the default pod resource config? I had a few error a couple of days before so I whipped the whole game install and did it again. When I was finishing the RO install I started to have this problem. The resource (electricity, life support, hypergolic propellant for reentry control, etc.) are all wrong and resemble a erroneously applied patch or something. 

I have tried reinstall multiple times but the problem strangely persisted...

Edit: That was a hasty and rude post I have posted, apology for that.

I have encountered a problem where most of the containers, including tanks, pods, pre-loaded stages and the likes are holding the wrong resources of incorrect amount. For example, the Mk1 2m pod is suppose to contain a large amount of electricity charge, about 40 liter or so of HTP, and enough life support for a good few days; however, now when I place a Mk1 pod in VAB, it only contains 10 units of monopropellant (the stock one) and nothing else. Another example I have found is all the TAC lifesupport canisters, which now contain no resource whatsoever when placed (have to manually assign resource amounts). I have installed RO many times since this happened to me a couple of days ago, and the problem did continue to show up. Is this my own oversight or a problem? Should I open an issue for this?

Edited by wb99999999

@wb99999999 Still, a log file would be required to see what is broken and how.

Since most of the resources in RO are managed via RF then it may be a recent change of how RF handles things. RF also had an update for both KSP 1.2 and 1.3 but the metadata were broken. So, if you are installing the mods via CKAN then it will use the KSP 1.3 RF version in the place of the KSP 1.2 one, breaking a ton of things.

X-Post from the discussion thread: 

I'd love to see RO support for Kerbal Planetary Base Systems. It's my go-to mod for ground bases, for one simple reason: it's flat. I believe it already has its own configs for TACLS, RealFuels, RemoteTech, CLS, etc., so presumably it wouldn't be a huge pain to add support for*, assuming @Nils277 OKs it.

* This coming from the perspective of a Software Engineer who's been poking around at the RO files and understands the number of person-hours involved.

On another note: I'd love to see the electrical configs (battery capacity/charge/discharge rate and solar panel rebalance/nerf) as a standalone mod. Basically I'm trying to have a realistic stockalike experience (yes, yes, I know), without the rescaling/real-world-ifying of the parts. I want to feel like I'm still playing KSP, not a Historical NASA Rocket Simulator that happens to run on KSP's engine. Also because I want to at least sort of maintain the option of other mods (like KPBS) that are not explicitly supported by RO and would be broken in a standard RO setup. I know about Real Battery, and have toyed with it, but it feels...unfinished, and doesn't support other mods/isn't supported by other mods, to my knowledge.

Can anyone tell me which tech increases the maximum pressure parts can handle above 4000Kpa? 

I've been searching trough the tech tree for a while after my first Venus lander blew up at 10km altitude. But I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

I assume it is one of the construction techs? 

@Rob K There is no tech node that allows that but i can reassure you that the pressure limits are currently "bugged" under RO (fixed the the next official release though). In the mean time, you can use the following MM patch to allow the parts work in the surface of Venus or deep under the atmospheres of the gas giants:

@PART[*]:HAS[~maxPressure[<4000]]:BEFORE[RealismOverhaul]
{
	%maxPressure = 20000
}

(This will increase the pressure tolerances from 4 MPa to 20 MPa - Venus has a surface pressure of approximately 10 MPa).

@coolguy8445 the issue isn't the solar panels (they're sane for their mass, albeit not their size), or the batteries (I mean, they have hilariously low capacity but whatever)--the issue is the consumers. They're all over the map. Pods use *no* EC, for example, unless they're torqueing, but probes use a lot...but then so do lightbulbs! You'll need to handle that, which has to be done on a part-by-part basis, for EC to make sense.

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

@coolguy8445 the issue isn't the solar panels (they're sane for their mass, albeit not their size), or the batteries (I mean, they have hilariously low capacity but whatever)--the issue is the consumers. They're all over the map. Pods use *no* EC, for example, unless they're torqueing, but probes use a lot...but then so do lightbulbs! You'll need to handle that, which has to be done on a part-by-part basis, for EC to make sense.

Thank you! THIS is my issue :)

However, I WILL WAIT patiently for a resolution.  Thanks @NathanKell

I upgraded from 1.1.3 to 1.2.2 recently and everything is working great except one tiny detail:
The pitch/yaw/roll and translation RCS axis toggles don't show up anymore which screws up a lot of my control builds. Does anyone know which mod was doing that and how I can get it back?

Thanks a lot!

25 minutes ago, Warp11 said:

I upgraded from 1.1.3 to 1.2.2 recently and everything is working great except one tiny detail:
The pitch/yaw/roll and translation RCS axis toggles don't show up anymore which screws up a lot of my control builds. Does anyone know which mod was doing that and how I can get it back?

Thanks a lot!

Do you have Advanced Tweakables enabled in the options?? IIRC that got changed in 1.2 and need to be enabled to show.