[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

55 minutes ago, Theysen said:

Do you have Advanced Tweakables enabled in the options?? IIRC that got changed in 1.2 and need to be enabled to show.

Thank you! That's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Fixed, thanks a lot.

20 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@coolguy8445 the issue isn't the solar panels (they're sane for their mass, albeit not their size), or the batteries (I mean, they have hilariously low capacity but whatever)--the issue is the consumers. They're all over the map. Pods use *no* EC, for example, unless they're torqueing, but probes use a lot...but then so do lightbulbs! You'll need to handle that, which has to be done on a part-by-part basis, for EC to make sense.

Hmm, yeah, that makes sense. As I said, though, I'd like to see it as a standalone, though I know how many person-hours it would take to cherry-pick all the configs out (hence why I don't want to do it myself in a codebase I'm unfamiliar with :sticktongue: ). 
That said, any thoughts on KPBS support (or on why you won't support it, as the case may be)?

@coolguy8445 There can't be a standalone because we just use models and then rescale and repurpose them. What you probably should do is (either yourself or with others) make a mod that sanifies KSP electrics. For the parts with their KSP purposes, not "this little piggie is now a Surveyor probe core, and this little piggie is Mariner" and so forth.

@Wallygator I...have no idea what you mean. They're fine in RO, that's what I mean. If you have a problem with stock, you might want to talk about it somewhere other than the thread for the not-stockiest of mods. :P

Edited by NathanKell

19 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@coolguy8445 There can't be a standalone because we just use models and then rescale and repurpose them. What you probably should do is (either yourself or with others) make a mod that sanifies KSP electrics. For the parts with their KSP purposes, not "this little piggie is now a Surveyor probe core, and this little piggie is Mariner" and so forth.

Ah, yes. I knew there was a reason I didn't get into all that myself :D
Thanks for the reply, and the reminder.

@coolguy8445 I have no objections regarding KPBS being supported by RO. However i think that doing this would really be a whole lot of work. KPBS currently has 133 parts (including support for the various life support mods) which were not really designed with realism in mind, meaning they might be unblanced because they are too small/big/light/heavy etc. for their real purpose. Also i wouldn't be able to help for an adaption for RO, because i have never used it and therefore have no idea on how the balancing is done.

On 8/16/2017 at 5:48 AM, Nils277 said:

@coolguy8445 I have no objections regarding KPBS being supported by RO. However i think that doing this would really be a whole lot of work. KPBS currently has 133 parts (including support for the various life support mods) which were not really designed with realism in mind, meaning they might be unblanced because they are too small/big/light/heavy etc. for their real purpose. Also i wouldn't be able to help for an adaption for RO, because i have never used it and therefore have no idea on how the balancing is done.

Makes sense. Thanks for your input! 

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask , but how do I obtain the gas constant (R) for earth or other bodies atmosphere? . Need it to calculate air density in a kOS script .

Also I don't have FAR if that matters.

Edit : Found some stuff (atmosphereMolarMass =0.0289644) in RSS configs  .

Edited by Alpha_Mike_741
Not a question for RO . sorry guys :)

I'm trying to setup Realism Overhaul, but it's causing my game to crash.

I started with a clean 1.2.2 install

Installed CKAN

Added Realism Overhaul + dependencies + recommended mods via CKAN

Game crashes on load.

I've tried it with RSS installed (and tested) before trying on a clean vanilla install, same problem.

Help would be most appreciated!

Link for output logs.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0xlf5529f58g682/AAD48x0Ok2sXFArzlaCpin6ma?dl=0

*EDIT* got it working! Downgraded Custom Barn Kit and MagiCore to versions recommended by Phineas Freak in this thread.

Edited by DocRockwell

16 hours ago, DocRockwell said:

FAR VERSION: 0.15.9 is 1.3 only sorry CKAN fouled that up for you, downgrade to 3:0.15.8.1

Easiest way is to just take the /Gamedata/FerramAerospaceResearch/ folder delete it and replace with the one from here.

https://github.com/ferram4/Ferram-Aerospace-Research/releases/tag/v0.15.8.1_Lewis

@FennexFox

Which leads me to more updates for 1.3 that RO marches toward.  (AJE, FAR and Principia) are now added to the 1.3 Available list

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A7gQkIiQKi0VtRecE6p86KCKuoawZPdzk7NlaxssRJ4/edit#gid=0

Getting Closer!

Edited by Bornholio

6 minutes ago, a_schack said:

You'll probably need to provide some logs if anyone's going to figure out what could be wrong. :)

I'm pretty sure it's just an outdated cfg. What I saw was nothing but a MM config error while game loading.

1 minute ago, a_schack said:

Yeah, but which errors?

Not sure, since it says "5 errors detected: related to...(blah blah)...Buffalo.cfg". It must be some gramatical error I guess. It's an RO issue, because the cfg is under RO_Suggested directory. If it's not supported by current RO, it must be moved into REWORK.

Edited by FennexFox

If memory serve, I saw a comment on NathanKell's current YouTube playthrough asking "Why don't you use RealScience instead whack-a-mole style stock science?"

But it seems like the thread is dead, so I'm confused. Is it available with RO, or the commenter asked NathanKell to revive that mod?

Edited by FennexFox

20 hours ago, FennexFox said:

If memory serve, I saw a comment on NathanKell's current YouTube playthrough asking "Why don't you use RealScience instead whack-a-mole style stock science?"

But it seems like the thread is dead, so I'm confused. Is it available with RO, or the commenter asked NathanKell to revive that mod?

If you take a look at RO/RP-0 Dev branches you will see a whole boatload of science work. Pap has added a crew science system using wildblue tools plugins that add a reason to use more advanced pods as you get them.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/Crewed-Science-Extension-(Dev)

also see the changes to new instruments and balance versus the new extended tech tree.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/Science

This on top of a lot of contract, tree and the new systems in RO/RP-0 https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/wiki/RO-RP-0-DEVELOPMENT-CHANGES-(Training,-Tooling,-Maintenance-Costs-and-Facilities)

I got a question regarding SSTU and RO. Why are some of the SSTU engines, like the LMAE, LMDE, Solid Rocket Boosters, and NERVA engines, disabled? I noticed the Agena engine has several variants disabled that are available for the default and FASA versions of the same engine. I've gone and added the LMAE and LMDE back in, using the stats from the FASA version of these engines, and enabled the Agena variants. I'm curious as to why they've been removed in the first place though.

10 hours ago, DocRockwell said:

I got a question regarding SSTU and RO. Why are some of the SSTU engines, like the LMAE, LMDE, Solid Rocket Boosters, and NERVA engines, disabled? I noticed the Agena engine has several variants disabled that are available for the default and FASA versions of the same engine. I've gone and added the LMAE and LMDE back in, using the stats from the FASA version of these engines, and enabled the Agena variants. I'm curious as to why they've been removed in the first place though.

LMAE and LMDE are in https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/master/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/SSTU/SSTU_Engines_US.cfg

9 hours ago, Bornholio said:

Weird. I installed via CKAN and the version file and zip archive both say v.11.5.1, but it's different from the latest release on GITHUB. Thanks!

*Edit* my mistake, it's the same as the latest official release. Are the files listed in the link you provided for the next release? Should I go "clone or download>download as zip" and install these files?

Edited by DocRockwell

6 hours ago, DocRockwell said:

Weird. I installed via CKAN and the version file and zip archive both say v.11.5.1, but it's different from the latest release on GITHUB. Thanks!

*Edit* my mistake, it's the same as the latest official release. Are the files listed in the link you provided for the next release? Should I go "clone or download>download as zip" and install these files?

I think the current master branch shouldn't break saves, but you'd best back up your save. Download as zip, and then extract the RealismOverhaul folder into your gamedata. You should remove the existing Realism Overhaul folder before that though.

Alternatively you can cherry pick the SSTU files.

I'm currently playing on the updated Master branch, and it's definately stable, but I started a new game for that, so I can't tell you from experience how it is with regards to breaking saves.