[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

14 hours ago, itsthatguy said:

I'm just getting back into RO after a few years of absence.

I enjoy playing in career mode, and I'm currently designing my first lunar flyby probe of my save. I decided that I wanted to recover the probe so that I could maximize the science gain. There is one small problem: all of the heat shields I have unlocked are "rated for LEO reentry". I can't seem to find any additional heat shields anywhere in the tech tree.

Am I blind, or is there something afoot here?

As per your words I assume you are playing career, I am currently playing RO in sandbox so the things I have access will differ. You can try to download FASA Saturn V mod. (the parts for the Saturn V), the Apollo capsule heat shield is rated for lunar reentry BUT... I do not know if you will have research points to unlock it or if it comes unlocked by default (I doubt that) so the trick is... stack 2 (or more) LEO shields.

I know this technique Works because I once sent a probe to "sink" on Jupiter (study the lower layers of the atmosphere) and a single (even lunar rated) heatshield wouldn´t work to prevent destruction of the vessel while entering Jupiter´s dense atmosphere at 50Km/s so I stacked them... :) First is consumed, explodes, second consumed, explodes, third.... halfway consumed... Perfect :)

So, 2 LEO heat shield stacked on top of each other should do the trick, if not... Use 3 :)

Hope I helped.

16 hours ago, itsthatguy said:

I'm just getting back into RO after a few years of absence.

I enjoy playing in career mode, and I'm currently designing my first lunar flyby probe of my save. I decided that I wanted to recover the probe so that I could maximize the science gain. There is one small problem: all of the heat shields I have unlocked are "rated for LEO reentry". I can't seem to find any additional heat shields anywhere in the tech tree.

Am I blind, or is there something afoot here?

I'm playing with RP-0 and a few parts mods (FASA, SSTU, etc).  I started getting lunar rated heat shields when I researched "General Construction".

I seem to have accidentally deleted the part files for the better heat shields while cleaning out some of the redundant parts from the part packs I have installed.

I have NO idea where they could have been, I've already checked the mods that I suspect could have contained them. Can anyone help me out as to what mod the heat shields are from, so that I can re-install that particular mod?

8 hours ago, itsthatguy said:

I seem to have accidentally deleted the part files for the better heat shields while cleaning out some of the redundant parts from the part packs I have installed.

I have NO idea where they could have been, I've already checked the mods that I suspect could have contained them. Can anyone help me out as to what mod the heat shields are from, so that I can re-install that particular mod?

LEO rated heatshields come from Deadly Reentry and Lunar rated heatshields are from Squad with RO change them a little.

I am interested in this mod but don't know which part packs to get. I know procedural fairings and fuel tanks but I do not see procedural engines, which is something I would like to see because from what I can tell almost all of the realistic engines are Soviet this or NASA that, or just based off of some other engine that was developed in real life and I would much rather have a few simple, unique, configurable engines.

Also if anyone knows, is Kerbal Konstructs (and subsequently, KSC++) compatible with this mod and/or RSS?

8 hours ago, Pavel ☭ said:

I am interested in this mod but don't know which part packs to get. I know procedural fairings and fuel tanks but I do not see procedural engines, which is something I would like to see because from what I can tell almost all of the realistic engines are Soviet this or NASA that, or just based off of some other engine that was developed in real life and I would much rather have a few simple, unique, configurable engines.

Also if anyone knows, is Kerbal Konstructs (and subsequently, KSC++) compatible with this mod and/or RSS?

Yes KerbalKonstructs is compatible/works for me with RO and RSS.

- SSTU, lot of low count parts and a lot of real engines, that why its called Realism Overhaul. But you can easy choose between one and 18 engines via right click configuration in the vab

- RealScaleBoosters, comes with real life rocket craft files, so you dont need to choose a engine at all. And you have a rocket for every situation.

But i never heard of configurable engines in KSP.

6 hours ago, JohnMcLane said:

Yes KerbalKonstructs is compatible/works for me with RO and RSS.

- SSTU, lot of low count parts and a lot of real engines, that why its called Realism Overhaul. But you can easy choose between one and 18 engines via right click configuration in the vab

- RealScaleBoosters, comes with real life rocket craft files, so you dont need to choose a engine at all. And you have a rocket for every situation.

But i never heard of configurable engines in KSP.

I've noticed a problem with using the SSTU multi engine configurations.  The mass of the engines is wrong.  Mass is fine if you just select one engine but when you use 2+ engines in a cluster, the mass for each engine is about twice what it should be.  So if a particular engine should weigh 1t, it'll be fine if you use just a single SSTU engine.  But if you try to use a SSTU engine in a cluster of 2, the total mass will be closer to 4t.

This feels like a dumb question because I know must have just done something wrong somewhere, but I installed Realism Overhaul (and all the dependencies, except RP-0 since I'm playing on a custom solar system and not RSS) recently and added SSTU since it's my favourite parts mod. Everything seems to work fine except the modular SRBs aren't anywhere to be found. I checked the install for SSTU, and they're in there, they just don't show up in game at all. I tried reinstalling everything, but they're still absent. What am I missing here?

17 hours ago, Lmoy said:

This feels like a dumb question because I know must have just done something wrong somewhere, but I installed Realism Overhaul (and all the dependencies, except RP-0 since I'm playing on a custom solar system and not RSS) recently and added SSTU since it's my favourite parts mod. Everything seems to work fine except the modular SRBs aren't anywhere to be found. I checked the install for SSTU, and they're in there, they just don't show up in game at all. I tried reinstalling everything, but they're still absent. What am I missing here?

As far as I know, the procedural SSTU SRBs are not part of Realism Overhaul.  SSTU-SC-ENG-SRB-A, SSTU-SC-ENG-SRB-B, SSTU-SC-ENG-SRB-C, & SSTU-SC-ENG-SRB-D are stripped out of RO.  The only SSTU SRBs that exist are fixed size ones.

2 hours ago, chrisl said:

As far as I know, the procedural SSTU SRBs are not part of Realism Overhaul.  SSTU-SC-ENG-SRB-A, SSTU-SC-ENG-SRB-B, SSTU-SC-ENG-SRB-C, & SSTU-SC-ENG-SRB-D are stripped out of RO.  The only SSTU SRBs that exist are fixed size ones.

Ah, looks like you're right. Any idea why that is?

And what can I do to put them back in?

4 hours ago, Lmoy said:

Ah, looks like you're right. Any idea why that is?

And what can I do to put them back in?

My guess is they were never setup for RO.  There's a lot of SSTU parts that aren't currently functional in, or setup for, RO.  If you really want them back in, look in your RealismOverhaul\RO_SuggestedMods\SSTU folder, in the SSTU_EnginesBasePatch.cfg file.  Look for the lines that read "-PART[SSTU-SC-ENG-SRB-A]{}" and remove or remark them.  That would keep the parts from being deleted.  Can't say they will actually work or how they might compare to the existing Procedural SRB that comes with RO, but there you go.

Hey there:

I think I found a minor issue in version v11.5.1 of Realism Overhaul. I had a heck of a time trying to figure out why my Gemini Pod didn't seem to have the right CO2 Scrubber data. Anyhoo, after many hours of looking around (I'm not a programmer you understand) I was able to locate what I think might be an issue. In "..\GameData\RealismOverhaul\RO_SuggestedMods\FASA" there seems to be a couple issues with the object: INPUT_RESOURCE within RO_FASA_Mercury_Pod.cfg and RO_FASA_ApolloCSM.cfg, etc. Some of the objects "INPUT_RESOURCE" have a '%' and others do not (Check RO_FASA_Mercury_Pod.cfg to see that this one doesn't have '%'). I believe that the '%' must be removed for mod manager to import this into its cache (I have tested this and it seemed to work in my install).

Here is the example of the end product in the ModuleManager.ConfigCache with the unedited install of Realism Overhaul, it took me forever to figure out where Mod Manager was pulling this data from.  As you can see below for comparison, there was an issue and the Apollo, Gemini and other pods (except for MercuryPod) all had very wonky outputs that didn't make any sense and also make the CO2 scrubber do nothing.

name = FASAGeminiPod2 (not the way it should look when KSP imports into its system)

MODULE
{
    name = TacGenericConverter
    converterName = CO2 Scrubber
    StartActionName = Start AirFilter
    StopActionName = Stop AirFilter
    conversionRate = 2.0
    INPUT_RESOURCE
    {
        ResourceName = LithiumHydroxide
        Ratio = 0.00001189
    }
    OUTPUT_RESOURCE
    {
        ResourceName = Waste
        Ratio = 0.00003932
        DumpExcess = false
    }
}

name = FASAMercuryPod (AKA this is the way it should look when KSP imports the data into its system)

MODULE
{
	name = TacGenericConverter
	converterName = CO2 Scrubber
	StartActionName = Start AirFilter
	StopActionName = Stop AirFilter
	conversionRate = 1.0
	INPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		ResourceName = ElectricCharge
		Ratio = 0.1
	}
	INPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		ResourceName = CarbonDioxide
		Ratio = 0.0058912100
	}
	INPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		ResourceName = LithiumHydroxide
		Ratio = 0.0000085683
	}
	OUTPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		ResourceName = Waste
		Ratio = 0.0000320045
		DumpExcess = false
	}
}

A little about my install:

• KSP Windows x64: v1.2.2.1622
  • FASA: v7.2
  • TAC Life Support: v 0.13.0.0
  • ModuleManager: v 2.7.6
  • A billion other installs, most to support Realism Overhaul/RSS & make the game as realistic as possible

Last but not least.. LOGS!

Thanks to all the Developers for maintaining this and other mods that with with this one. Cheers! *gives you all a gold star*

On 12/29/2017 at 6:15 AM, Friedrich Nietzsche said:

Following this spreadsheet since a few weeks - not much happening there anymore? 

Note that the "Last edit was made x days ago by y" at the top of the spreadsheet opens a menu to see the change history.

I'm not sure anyone is willing to claim they've tested something enough to mark it green.  I sure am not.  [My KSP activity is extremely bursty and inconsistent.]  From my observation, the main holding pattern is that the spreadsheet indicates a lot of updates available via github [usually] that are in mod PRs but not yet merged into the mod's dev or master branches, let alone a release.  And if those haven't released, RO doesn't itself want to cut a release when its dependencies are not easily available.  I'm not sure why some of the 1.3/1.3.1 update PRs seem to be sitting for a long time in some of the mods.

However, if you do follow the spreadsheet for installation, you have a playable game.  [I don't know that the significant amount of updates to RP-0 are balanced yet, so a formal (non-beta) release might still be a ways off, but they are playable.]  Some of the mods are still marked yellow, but I don't see that any of those should prevent a release.  It's also possible that someone just hasn't marked some of them blue yet.

On 1/4/2018 at 10:25 AM, Oneiros said:

Very interested in trying this once it works on 1.3.1

Ya. I think I need to wait for the 1.3.1 to be finished before I can try Real Solar System.  - But RSS is also still in 1.2.2 :(

I should have backed-up 1.2.2 before Steam automatically upgraded.

42 minutes ago, enewmen said:

I should have backed-up 1.2.2 before Steam automatically upgraded.

I never use my steam install as modded. The prevent problems, I copy paste a clean install from the steam folder to another folder (not steamapps), in my case to (C:/Programs Files (x86)/Games).

And only install mods on that install. Usually that's the only install I mod and play with. 
This way, you'll never get bothered with auto updates or anything that has to do with steam. 

On 12/20/2017 at 4:44 PM, chrisl said:

I've noticed a problem with using the SSTU multi engine configurations.  The mass of the engines is wrong.  Mass is fine if you just select one engine but when you use 2+ engines in a cluster, the mass for each engine is about twice what it should be.  So if a particular engine should weigh 1t, it'll be fine if you use just a single SSTU engine.  But if you try to use a SSTU engine in a cluster of 2, the total mass will be closer to 4t.

You can fix it by modifying GameData\RealismOverhaul\RO_SuggestedMods\SSTU\SSTU_Engines_GLOBAL.cfg and make sure it contains a part looking similar to:

@MODULE[SSTUModularEngineCluster]
	{
		@diameterIncrement = 0.1	// Allow increments of 1 cm
		%adjustMass = false
	}

The %adjustMass part is the important bit which needs to be added.

Edited by Mike`

lH4kBzY.jpg

UzIOhFX.jpg

FASA alternate engine configs are not available in Science or Career mode. TreeToppler does not fix this, Community Tech Tree does not fix this, unlocking all tech in the debug menu does not fix this. RP-0 does not fix this (same result with or without RP-0).

Is this a common issue/solved already? I am posting this here because RealismOverhaul is the folder with RF configs for the J-2, RL-10, etc, not Realfuels. 

Any help appreciated

Not sure if there is any interest in this beyond plebs like me but figure I might throw it out there.

Would it be beneficial to throw some instructions in the first page on "de-real" this mod with some regular expression config edits to take away the really difficult parts and prevent people from having to rely on other simplification mods that may or may not stay updated. Namely ullage, ignitions, and throttleability are what I find really sucks the playability out of this mod for me.

Find/Replace in files in the realism overhaul folder with notepad++:

Remove ullage requirement for all engines:
ullage = .*
ullage = False

Remove ignition limit for all engines:
ignitions = .*
ignitions = 100

Allow full throttle-ability for all engines:
minthrottle = .*
minthrottle = 0

I really appreciate and enjoy all the work that went into this mod but I find the supreme realism really frustrating in certain respects and turns my play sessions into long periods of success followed by a sudden outburst of rage and failure when I put myself in an unforeseen situation or mess up in some way. The above three changes really make this mod much more forgiving in-line with the stock game while retaining the other more interesting (to me) aspects of a realism overhaul.

Edited by li7in6