[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

I've been working on patching RealSolarSystem Expanded to 1.7 and expanding on it. I don't want to advertise but I feel like I should post something here. There is a patch to fix some things incorrect about RealSolarSystem (like the sun's colour) and a new Skybox I've made. It adds to the RSS experience as well, so if you feel like a real challenge, check it out. I made it aimed at people who really want a challenge, so you'll find there are some extreme orbits in the mod (all based on real statistics, still working on some though.

Here's Pallas (I added some more as well)

81cfa052ca08e07f495b9d79bce50d6a.png

Edited by "Our Benefactors"

For anyone wondering there is currently an issue with RO in ckan. It's not currently showing up as compatible with 1.6.1 because of an issue with real heat and kjr. The netkan files for these have an error. I am aware of this and will fix it as soon as I get to my computer. There is no need to report on it.

EDIT: The issue has been fixed you just need to wait for the changes to propagate on ckan

Edited by raidernick

Looks as if the 1.6.1 RO won't play nice with kRPC anymore? I can't get vessel thrust, or available thrust, or any data about engines. Not even their count.

All of that still worked with  RO for 145. I've tried to figure out what has changed but... well, I'm so out of my depth that I better keep my theories to myself. It used to work and now it doesn't, that's all I can say.

1 hour ago, Laie said:

Looks as if the 1.6.1 RO won't play nice with kRPC anymore? I can't get vessel thrust, or available thrust, or any data about engines. Not even their count.

All of that still worked with  RO for 145. I've tried to figure out what has changed but... well, I'm so out of my depth that I better keep my theories to myself. It used to work and now it doesn't, that's all I can say.

Why do people blame RO for these things? RO is just configs that change some part values and by itself can't break something like this. This issue is almost 100% fore sure caused by a change real fuels and NOT RO. The most likely case however is that you have done something wrong in the install though.

I would like to make a side note that this version of RO we just released is almost identical to the previous 1.3.1 install except for the addition of configs for the new parts. If it worked in 1.3.1 and not 1.6.1 then there was either a change in 1.6.1 itself that broke it or a change in some other plugin based mod you are using.

Edited by raidernick

6 hours ago, "Our Benefactors" said:

I've been working on patching RealSolarSystem Expanded to 1.7 and expanding on it. I don't want to advertise but I feel like I should post something here. There is a patch to fix some things incorrect about RealSolarSystem (like the sun's colour) and a new Skybox I've made. It adds to the RSS experience as well, so if you feel like a real challenge, check it out. I made it aimed at people who really want a challenge, so you'll find there are some extreme orbits in the mod (all based on real statistics, still working on some though.

Here's Pallas (I added some more as well)

81cfa052ca08e07f495b9d79bce50d6a.png

Where can we find this stuff?

On 5/23/2019 at 9:24 PM, raidernick said:

Why do people blame RO for these things?

I'm not blaming RO, I'm coming to the RO thread because that's the obvious point to go when something about the RO suite breaks and you don't quite know what or where or how (if I did, I'd open a proper issue on github). Even hearing whether I'm the only one helps a lot.

I've suspected RF as well, but as far as my git-fu goes, there don't seem to have been any sweeping changes in the past year. I couldn't think of anything else, either; hence my reluctance to speculate.

Reason found: Due to the netkan hiccup I had a choice of which KJR flavor to install, and picked the wrong one. Re-install today went without manual intervention, served me the right KJR, and made the problem go away.

5 hours ago, Laie said:

Reason found: Due to the netkan hiccup I had a choice of which KJR flavor to install, and picked the wrong one. Re-install today went without manual intervention, served me the right KJR, and made the problem go away.

That choice should now be gone. You are the 7th person in 3 days to complain about that other kjr and it breaking something related to RO or some mod used by RO. I added it as a conflict to all RO related mods on ckan so it won't happen anymore. From now on anyone who goes out of their way to use it will receive no support from anyone on the RO staff, I'm going to have Theysen make note of this in the OP and I'll note it in the RO/RSS discord, irc and github.

Edited by raidernick

On 5/17/2019 at 5:15 PM, MaltYebisu said:

@dakhr If you want to make sure you install the correct versions of the mods for a 1.6.1 RO install, the Golden Spreadsheet might help you. :)

I figured out this has to do with some probe cores (non RO)messing up staging tree. To prevent this I`m checking my ship build in VAB disconnecting vessel from probe core then reconnecting it .If delta v's still are "all right", after procedure, thrust stops magically disappearing. :)

Edited by dakhr

YUS!!! NEW VERSION!!!

Was it the 1.7 version of the game that had that massive improvement to memory handling? This mod is quite large and could use that optimization.

Talking about optimization, I'm working on a thing that prunes out redundant parts. With procedural parts, there's hardly any need for a lot of stuff in the game, which could save people a ton of time loading the game and prevent crashes, but would make sharing vessels a hassle.

Currently is only a script that deletes parts on a list. Very similar to AutoPruner, but it deletes stuff instead of changing their names and is aimed at Realism Overhaul.

My goal is to eventually make a fully fledged program with an UI that lets people preview the part and decide if they want it in the game or not with a click. Then it moves the part to a separate folder the game won't waste time looking at, so if the user decides he wants that part, he can revert with another click.

Problem is I have no idea how to make it. I'm a very noobish coder. So if anyone is looking for an idea for a project, feel free to use mine.

For now, the best of my abilities is to manually delete every part I think I don't want and upload the pruned folder somewhere.

BTW, is the problem with the bumpy runway fixed on Real Scale? I'd pay good money for an official DLC with the real, to scale solar system.

BTW2: Another thing I want to work on is implementing contracts for BD Armory, so you can earn some cash on the side developing military aircraft.
Should be simple, really. All I need is a custom contract maker compatible with BDA parts. The parameters are "have X weapon(s) on the aircraft, reach a speed of Y m/s at Z height and a Delta-V of W (a shortcut to estimating combat range)". Perhaps even "weight less than M and cost less than F".

Some FASA parts seem to not be showing in the VAB, and aren't available when I try to load craft built using them.  I've checked the mod folder and tried using it on a non-RO install and those parts are there, so my best guess is that the problem is with the RO configs.  It seems to be all/almost all the engines that are missing, as well as the launch clamps.  Are those just not compatible with RO anymore?

1 hour ago, SpartanJack17 said:

Some FASA parts seem to not be showing in the VAB, and aren't available when I try to load craft built using them.  I've checked the mod folder and tried using it on a non-RO install and those parts are there, so my best guess is that the problem is with the RO configs.  It seems to be all/almost all the engines that are missing, as well as the launch clamps.  Are those just not compatible with RO anymore?

I have the FASA launch clamps available. Are you using the RO compatible FASA?

There is no such thing as an "RO FASA". Just because a mod is on the RO git repo doesn't automatically mean it's for RO only, there are several stock mods there. Also, if you had taken the chance to read you'd see the big bold letters that say FASA is for stock...

Also the readme says it's stock compatible several times. Please read.

Edited by raidernick

21 hours ago, Flibble said:

I have the FASA launch clamps available. Are you using the RO compatible FASA?

Yes, there's just one FASA, not a RO version and a non-RO version.  I also have launch clamps that are using the models from FASA, but they're from the ROEngines mod, not FASA itself.  The problem is that FASA contains some specific engine models that aren't in other mods, so for example  even if I have the LR-105 I don't have the LR-105 that fits onto the bottom of FASA's Atlas fuel tank with the fairing.

Edited by SpartanJack17
Formatting fix

1 minute ago, Flibble said:

Hmm, now you mention it my FASA clamps are from ROEngines, not from FASA itself.

Ok, so I'm not the only one with the problem.  I guess the question is if those FASA engines/launch clamps just aren't supported by RO now, or if we both have something wrong with our installs.

3 hours ago, SpartanJack17 said:

Ok, so I'm not the only one with the problem.  I guess the question is if those FASA engines/launch clamps just aren't supported by RO now, or if we both have something wrong with our installs.

I have working clamps (via ROEngines), I don't have FASA itself installed.