[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

18 minutes ago, Flibble said:

You have over 8000 instances of MissingFieldException: Field '.KSPParticleEmitter.pe' not found. I suspect that's the issue.

Possible causes, the following mods didn't load:

• BahaSP/Plugins/BDAnimationModules.dll
  • KSPWheel/Plugin/KSPWheel.dll
  • SSTU/Plugins/SSTUTools.dll

I suspect it's one of those breaking things. In particular SSTU is known to be broken with RO at the moment, so I'd try uninstalling that as a starting point.

Okay, i’ll try that. If SSTU is uninstalled and problem persists what should i do? Delete the other mods?

19 hours ago, MadArkael said:

Not sure by your comments if you sorted it, but KSP also does not like negative mass objects. Sometimes TweakScale works funny with specific parts.

I'm at a loss on this.  In the link below is a log file and three craft files.  The "ApolloTest" flies fine, the other two get stuck on the pad.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hnyoOz5lm8LGN4DbqnTaMIIVudqNQ4GS

3 hours ago, jdub3350 said:

I'm at a loss on this.  In the link below is a log file and three craft files.  The "ApolloTest" flies fine, the other two get stuck on the pad.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hnyoOz5lm8LGN4DbqnTaMIIVudqNQ4GS

Part RO-sspx-iss-demo in station.craft is having its mass adjusted -5.96999979. 

That would be my prime suspect. According to its config file (https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/master/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/StationPartsExpansion/RO_SSPX_Extendable.cfg) it has a mass of 6 (5.97 if TAC Life Support is installed... which it is)

That brings that part's mass to 0.00000021 which is extremely low at 0.21 grams. Negative masses will pin your rocket to the ground. It cannot launch and I have even seen them spin around like ferris wheels. I have not known very small positive masses to have the same effect but anything could be happening in the code when it comes time for KSP to assign a mass to that part's rigidbody

The part has ModuleFuelTanks on it so try adding 5 tons of lead ballast to it and see if it still happens. (MFT is one of the modules on that part which is capable of adjusting mass but it shouldn't be capable of causing this problem, at least not by itself. Pretty sure we did put some sanity checking in there but we can't account for other modules)

Edited by Starwaster

3 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Part RO-sspx-iss-demo in station.craft is having its mass adjusted -5.96999979. 

That would be my prime suspect. According to its config file (https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/master/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/StationPartsExpansion/RO_SSPX_Extendable.cfg) it has a mass of 6 (5.97 if TAC Life Support is installed... which it is)

That brings that part's mass to 0.00000021 which is extremely low at 0.21 grams. Negative masses will pin your rocket to the ground. It cannot launch and I have even seen them spin around like ferris wheels. I have not known very small positive masses to have the same effect but anything could be happening in the code when it comes time for KSP to assign a mass to that part's rigidbody

The part has ModuleFuelTanks on it so try adding 5 tons of lead ballast to it and see if it still happens. (MFT is one of the modules on that part which is capable of adjusting mass but it shouldn't be capable of causing this problem, at least not by itself. Pretty sure we did put some sanity checking in there but we can't account for other modules)

Pretty mindblowing how you're able to figure that all out.  I appreciate it and I'll mess with it/remove it tonight and see what effect it has.  Thanks for the help. 

Edited by jdub3350

2 hours ago, jdub3350 said:

Pretty mindblowing how you're able to figure that all out.  I appreciate it and I'll mess with it/remove it tonight and see what effect it has.  Thanks for the help. 

Just experience with the various systems involved and knowing where to look and what to cross reference.

But after looking at your craft file a bit more and the log file I also noticed that ModuleFuelTanks was missing a parameter. On a hunch I tried removing that from the configs on a local install and reproduced your problem using only a minimal mostly stock installation (with Real Fuels)

Create a cfg file somewhere in your GameData folder (anywhere in there) and paste the code at the bottom into it. Assuming there aren't other physics killing mass issues then this will fix it.

Once the problem is patched in RO you can remove the file but it's written in a way that it won't hurt if you leave it.

ModuleFuelTanks_type_fix.cfg

@PART[RO-sspx-iss-demo]:AFTER[RealismOverhaul]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]
	{
		%type = LifeSupport
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]:HAS[~type[*]]]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]
	{
		type = Default
	}
}

44 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Just experience with the various systems involved and knowing where to look and what to cross reference.

But after looking at your craft file a bit more and the log file I also noticed that ModuleFuelTanks was missing a parameter. On a hunch I tried removing that from the configs on a local install and reproduced your problem using only a minimal mostly stock installation (with Real Fuels)

Create a cfg file somewhere in your GameData folder (anywhere in there) and paste the code at the bottom into it. Assuming there aren't other physics killing mass issues then this will fix it.

Once the problem is patched in RO you can remove the file but it's written in a way that it won't hurt if you leave it.

ModuleFuelTanks_type_fix.cfg

@PART[RO-sspx-iss-demo]:AFTER[RealismOverhaul]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]
	{
		%type = LifeSupport
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]:HAS[~type[*]]]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]
	{
		type = Default
	}
}

Thanks again!!  Will report back once I try it. 

Edited by jdub3350

Hello,

I haven't played RO since January, partially as I became disinterested with it, and partly as I sort of assumed that with the accelerated update schedule of "Take Two KSP" the RO team would just give in and the community would wither away. Fast-forward to a week ago and my interest was revived, and I found out that my fear was not true (quite the opposite, in fact). :D So, I backed up my KSP data, uninstalled, upgraded to 1.6.1, and loaded up CKAN (which I also updated) in preparation to upgrade RSS and RO.

They didn't show up on CKAN. So then I briefly thought that though they were upgraded to 1.6.1, they weren't on CKAN yet... which is contradicted by this thread. So, I decided to see what happens when I opened KSP regardless. It told me that RO and a lot of other mods were incompatible with 1.6.1, which makes sense for the versions I had, but why CKAN wasn't allowing me to upgrade mystified me. Upon fully loading the game, I found that it was using the stock system and had few RO parts and visible mods. Also worth noting is that this happened both upon loading it from Steam (which loaded stock in 1.3.1) and CKAN.

So, what should I do to solve this? I noticed that my GameData folder was full (typically uncharacteristic of a reinstall), so I thought that maybe purging that would allow me to reinstall the fresh versions of RO. Is that an advisable course of action, or should I do something else?

9 hours ago, Grant Exploit said:

Hello,

I haven't played RO since January, partially as I became disinterested with it, and partly as I sort of assumed that with the accelerated update schedule of "Take Two KSP" the RO team would just give in and the community would wither away. Fast-forward to a week ago and my interest was revived, and I found out that my fear was not true (quite the opposite, in fact). :D So, I backed up my KSP data, uninstalled, upgraded to 1.6.1, and loaded up CKAN (which I also updated) in preparation to upgrade RSS and RO.

They didn't show up on CKAN. So then I briefly thought that though they were upgraded to 1.6.1, they weren't on CKAN yet... which is contradicted by this thread. So, I decided to see what happens when I opened KSP regardless. It told me that RO and a lot of other mods were incompatible with 1.6.1, which makes sense for the versions I had, but why CKAN wasn't allowing me to upgrade mystified me. Upon fully loading the game, I found that it was using the stock system and had few RO parts and visible mods. Also worth noting is that this happened both upon loading it from Steam (which loaded stock in 1.3.1) and CKAN.

So, what should I do to solve this? I noticed that my GameData folder was full (typically uncharacteristic of a reinstall), so I thought that maybe purging that would allow me to reinstall the fresh versions of RO. Is that an advisable course of action, or should I do something else?

You should start with a fresh KSP install that only have Squad and possibly SquadExpansion inside the GameData. RO is definitely available on CKAN for KSP 1.6.1.

11 hours ago, siimav said:

You should start with a fresh KSP install that only have Squad and possibly SquadExpansion inside the GameData. RO is definitely available on CKAN for KSP 1.6.1.

Ok then, I then deleted all extraneous GameData, and nope, CKAN still didn't recognize RO as installable, and as previously, still recognizes a couple residual mods as installed.

CKAN said that RO and a few other mods (unfortunately, I did not take notes on which) had "updated metadata", and offered an upgrade when I launched the program, to which I selected no, partially as I thought it extremely bizarre that it was offering an upgrade to a mod it didn't show as officially installed or installable.

Then I uninstalled all those residual mods using CKAN... Nope. Then I deleted the entire CKAN downloads archive... Still nope.

I don't know what you exactly mean by a "fresh install"—I did reinstall it.... at least I thought, though it left most of the files in the KSP folder intact.

So what should next? Should I total my CKAN folder and reinstall CKAN?

On 6/8/2019 at 10:23 AM, Flibble said:

I occasionally get that weird camera glitch, going into the vab and back out usually fixes it. Not tracked which mod it is.

You helped me a lot by now. Only one (hopefully) thing left for it to be perfect. I built EA-1941 with diameter 0.8m. Only using procedural cone, procedural avionics, antenna, proc. tank, aerobee engine and spin motors as ullages. Altho i have quarter of my rocket made of avionics and antenna, it shows no telemetry. Can you please help? I can give you log if you need.

so... only just digging back into RO/RSS after a long hiatus...

When I select the links on the recommended list I really get no joy.  the RSS ref is a dead link, and many others all seem to reference 1.3.1.  I did not check them all, as I lost the will.  

Has there been any maintenance on the OP to assure any references and links are pointing to the appropriate 1.6.1 (or compatible) mod?

I'm not complaining, I can figure it all out given time.  My concern is if there are any new RO/RSSers out there it might be (more than) a bit confusing, especially if the OP of this thread is their first point of call.

Our RO/RSS modders have done a lot of work on the latest RO release - I'm sure updating all the links are the least of their worries.

21 hours ago, KnedlikMCPE said:

Thanks god, someone finally reacted. I right click the avionics on the pad and there’s control state: no telemetry

I'm not sure what would cause that, might be lack of connection to KSC, i.e. your comms mod is broken?