[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

Well, it fixed the framerate, and the DRE icon now shows in the stock toolbar, whoose absence slipped my eye, but still the issue with antennae and panels on those probes^^

What I did:

I deleted and updated DRE, deleted the Squad folder inside gamedata, moved the gamedata folder away, cleaned out the KSP folder excluding saves and ships, reinstalled KSP via steam verification, copied KSP without gamedata, moved saved gamedata and copied fresh Squad folder to the new location.

Started KSP, made a new career game, exited it, made a new sandbox game, placed Molniya-1 which unfolded immediately, deleted it, took a look at a few other probes and deleting them, then I stuck together a FASA Titan II GLV and left again.

Logfile: (12MB)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6QoFtOsM0n-ZXM3VGdDd1ZlVW8/view?usp=sharing

Thank you for your time :)

@h0yer The provided log is clear and the craft loading/editing phase does not show any kind of NullRefs or stuff like that. Now it is time to start a search: temporary remove any of the mods that are not required by RSS/RO (move them in a folder outside of the GameData) but keep the RN stuff. Check if the problem persists. If not then start adding back the mods one by one until the issue appears again.

For the record, i installed the RN Soviet Probes pack, selected the Molniya probe and it did not deploy it's antennas or solar arrays. Seeing that you have a large amount of mods installed i could make a guess (again...might be also wrong) and say that it is an inter-mod compatibility issue.

Next dumb question. With stock RO install, my MK1 pod consumes ~46k EC per 24 hours. Description states 530W. This should be 12744/day? likewise the Agena Avionics Package states 250W but consumes ~24000 EC/day.

Is EC = WH? if not, what is the conversion factor and why are the parts stated in W but resource is in EC?

Or perhaps it's a kerbal 6 hour day vs. 24 hour day issue? 

Edited by g00bd0g

2 hours ago, g00bd0g said:

Is EC = WH?

Close, it is 1 EC = 1 kWh. To convert between the two you have to multiply (kWh to EC) or divide (EC to kWh) your value at hand by 3.6.

Before KSP 1.3 you could not set the abbreviation of the EC RESOURCE_DEFINITION to read "kWh". Now we can do it, as part of either CRP or RO.

If you are seeing a different consumption for the duration of a day check to see if the KSP settings have the time display as "Kerbin" instead of "Earth" time.

1 minute ago, Phineas Freak said:

Close, it is 1 EC = 1 kWh. To convert between the two you have to multiply (kWh to EC) or divide (EC to kWh) your value at hand by 3.6.

Before KSP 1.3 you could not set the abbreviation of the EC RESOURCE_DEFINITION to read "kWh". Now we can do it, as part of either CRP or RO.

If you are seeing a different consumption for the duration of a day check to see if the KSP settings have the time display as "Kerbin" instead of "Earth" time.

Once again, thanks! BTW, love the name, I have some original Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers comics ;p

Question: I'm currently writing a config for Kerbal Atomics, and I'm not sure how to size the Nerva I/II engines.

Apparently the config says 1.25m, but that one is quite old now. The VEN and SXT NERVA I have their own scale, but seems absurdly large compared to actual images, with a 3m nozzle diameter. SXT also has a massive difference between Nerva 1 and 2; I know the latter is smaller, but I'm not sure it's that much smaller.

Only really interesting size I've seen is the Timberwind 75, which is supposed to fit to a 2m diameter stage. Of course only a proposed, later design, but quite remarkable considering it's a high thrust upper stage engine.

edit: Hm, pictures do indicate that the NERVA-1's 1.25m is a fairly good measurement, the final nozzle might be even smaller. Nerva-Alpha+Gamma are also specifically stated to be 1.24m diameter. So 1.25 it is! Also a slight size increase to the Nerva-2 for good measure, KA's short engine is a bit small.

Also, BNTR is apparently 1.56m diameter according to a 2004 NASA presentation.

Edited by Temeter

@Phineas Freak

Hi again!

I removed all mods so I have basically a barebone RSS/RO install, including Raidernick's US-rockets/probes, Soviet-rockets/probes, Salyut and the BahaSP animation module which comes with them, but still weird antennae and panels.

I did it in some reverse method, I first removed only SCANsat and SSTU, then everything elsv, leaving only the visual mods, and then even removed them.

Here a short piece of the log, showing addon composition only:

Spoiler

[LOG 01:58:18.462]

Environment Info
Win32NT 7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF  Args: KSP_x64.exe

Mod DLLs found:
Stock assembly: Assembly-CSharp v1.0.0.0
ModuleManager.2.7.6 v2.7.6.0
SolverEngines v3.0.0.0 / v3.1.0.0
AJE v2.8.0.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2
BDAnimationModules v0.6.4.4
CustomBarnKit v1.1.10.0
ModularFlightIntegrator v1.0.0.0 / v1.2.4.0
FerramAerospaceResearch v0.15.7.2
ferramGraph v1.3.0.0
Scale_Redist v1.0.0.0
KerbalJointReinforcement v3.3.1.0
Kopernicus.Components v1.0.0.0
Kopernicus.OnDemand v1.0.0.0
Kopernicus v1.0.0.0
Kopernicus.Parser v1.0.0.0
KSCSwitcher v1.0.6238.17503
RealChute v1.4.6131.28216 / v1.4.2.0
RealFuels v0.12.1.298 / v0.12.1.0
RealHeat v0.4.4.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2
RealismOverhaul v0.12.0.0
RealSolarSystem v0.11.5.0
RNModules v1.1.2.0
SigmaBinary v1.0.0.0
SmokeScreen v2.7.2.0
Stock assembly: KSPSteamCtrlr v0.0.1.35
Stock assembly: Steamworks.NET v9.0.0.0 / v9.0.0
TextureReplacer v2.5.4.0

Folders and files in GameData:
AJE
BahaSP
CommunityResourcePack
CustomBarnKit
FerramAerospaceResearch
KerbalJointReinforcement
Kopernicus
KSCSwitcher
ModularFlightIntegrator
RealChute
RealFuels
RealHeat
RealismOverhaul
RealPlume
RealSolarSystem
RN_Salyut
RN_Soviet_Probes
RN_Soviet_Rockets
RN_US_Probes
RN_US_Rockets
RSS-Textures
Sigma
SmokeScreen
SolverEngines
Stock folder: Squad

TextureReplacer
ModuleManager.2.7.6.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree

Guys,

first of all i want to thank you ALL for your great work!!!

I'm encountering  a rather strange bug and i don't know if this is only happening to me. My Kerbals are instantly dying as soon as i push the EVA-button. There's a "puff" sound and the Kerbal just disappears in a grey smoke cloud. :(

It happens in space as well as on kerbin.The only Mods which i have installed are RO and RSS (via Ckan).

I would really appreciate any help or advice!

Thx in advance and greetings from Germany.

2 hours ago, Lersus said:

I'm encountering  a rather strange bug and i don't know if this is only happening to me. My Kerbals are instantly dying as soon as i push the EVA-button. There's a "puff" sound and the Kerbal just disappears in a grey smoke cloud. :(

You need a Deadly Reentry patch

@h0yer speaking about weirdness:

• Only the basic mods installed
  • RN parts use only part modules provided by stock
  • No errors when loading the craft file(s)

WTH is going on?

I will drop another suggestion and ask you to remove:

• AJE v2.8.0.0
  • CustomBarnKit
  • KerbalJointReinforcement
  • KSCSwitcher
  • RealChute
  • SigmaBinary
  • TextureReplacer

Just to make sure that only the really basic (and required mods) are installed, Heck, i would suggest to also test the RN mods in a stock KSP installation to see if you can reproduce it without any mods.

@Phineas Freak

Weirdness indeed^^

I cleaned out the entire gamedata folder and left only squad, MM and everything prefixed RN-*, I even threw out BahaSP and firespitter (had only the .dll installed)

Things worked again.

I then added back TextureReplacer, no impact, BahaSP, no impact, but firespitter melted it again, then i realized it beeing quite outdated, 1.1.0.

Updating firespitter.dll fixed it basically, but only temporarily.

Adding back everything else broke it again, so I threw out firespitter again, no change, out went BahaSP, no change.

I furtherly noticed, that almost all solar panels, both fixed and extendable ones lack any functionality.

Funky.

OK, back to Squad, MM, RN-stuff, TextureReplacer, firespitter and BahaSP. Works.

Added RSS, ModularFlightIntegrator, RSSVE, Kopernicus, scatterer, EVE, KSCSwitcher, PlanetShine and DistantObject, works.

Added FAR, KJR, RealChute, RealFuels, RealHeat, RealPlume, SmokeScreen, SolverEngines and AJE, works.

Added RealismOverhaul, got stuck loading Squad/Parts/Engine/JetEngines/JetEngineAfterburning/TurboJet, removed AJE, worked not really, most right click menus were gone, although partmodules were shown...

Whatever, I guess I'll completely delete everything, and re-download everything from scratch, maybe I just got files broken in way they don't spam the log, however that might work.

3 minutes ago, h0yer said:

Whatever, I guess I'll completely delete everything, and re-download everything from scratch, maybe I just got files broken in way they don't spam the log, however that might work.

Just make sure to download only 1.2/1.2.2 mods. Some are already at 1.3, for others you need to search to find the 1.2 version.

Edited by Temeter

Just now, Temeter said:

Just make sure to download only 1.2/1.2.2 mods. Some are already at 1.3, for others you need to search to find the 1.2 version.

Aye, when downloading all that 1.2/1.2.2 stuff, I think I did pay extra attention to not download any 1.3 mods, but thanks for the reminder :)

Is it normal for engines to cut off when acceleration exceeds 3.6g ? Because that is my problem I am experiencing.
I understand that fuel would get pressed but I dont think that should be for all engines?

Edited by pololop

45 minutes ago, pololop said:

Is it normal for engines to cut off when acceleration exceeds 3.6g ? Because that is my problem I am experiencing.
I understand that fuel would get pressed but I dont think that should be for all engines?

check your MechJeb settings for "Max acceleration value" and the checkbox for "keep limited throttle above > 5%". Otherwise MJ cuts the throttle when the max acceleration value is exceeded. 

3 hours ago, Theysen said:

check your MechJeb settings for "Max acceleration value" and the checkbox for "keep limited throttle above > 5%". Otherwise MJ cuts the throttle when the max acceleration value is exceeded. 

Yes SIR! That did it!

Hi, I am loving this mod so much. This is exactly what I've needed since Kerbin lost its appeal (unrealistic).

However, I'm stuck on one issue regarding "missing parts" for more than a dozen different files in the VAB. Based on their name, I thought they were part of Kerbal-Konstructs, so I reinstalled it. Unfortunately, that didn't work. they are still missing, so I don't know what to do. Could it be from using 1.2.2 with some sneaky mods updating to 1.3?

I've tried linking screenshots via tinypic but it doesn't seem to be cooperating. There are about a dozen different crafts, named such as "RO RN KK Deep Space 1," that are listed as containing parts that are locked or invalid (this is on sandbox). When opening the craft file, I get the list of parts that are missing, such as KK.ULA.D2.PAF3712A, KK.ATK.Star37FM, KK.GEM-40.GL, etc (there are about 14 missing parts). Most of the part names are repeated in the other missing craft files

Thank you for your help and information. If you need additional information or logs, I would be happy to provide it.

Edited by Krazy_Kerbal

1 hour ago, Krazy_Kerbal said:

Hi, I am loving this mod so much. This is exactly what I've needed since Kerbin lost its appeal (unrealistic).

However, I'm stuck on one issue regarding "missing parts" for more than a dozen different files in the VAB. Based on their name, I thought they were part of Kerbal-Konstructs, so I reinstalled it. Unfortunately, that didn't work. they are still missing, so I don't know what to do. Could it be from using 1.2.2 with some sneaky mods updating to 1.3?

I've tried linking screenshots via tinypic but it doesn't seem to be cooperating. There are about a dozen different crafts, named such as "RO RN KK Deep Space 1," that are listed as containing parts that are locked or invalid (this is on sandbox). When opening the craft file, I get the list of parts that are missing, such as KK.ULA.D2.PAF3712A, KK.ATK.Star37FM, KK.GEM-40.GL, etc (there are about 14 missing parts). Most of the part names are repeated in the other missing craft files

Thank you for your help and information. If you need additional information or logs, I would be happy to provide it.

Those KK parts that are missing I believe are from Kartoffelkuchen's launchers pack when it had the Atlas family in it.  That portion of the mod is no longer available as far as I know.  

Has anyone written a comprehensive guide to RSS/RO about being able to get in to perfectly circular orbits? (margin of error less than a km) I'm perfectly fine with automated assistance. In fact, if anyone can point out any instance of flight--manned or unmanned--where a spacecraft got into orbit -without- automated assistance, I'd love to know about it...

I don't have any issues getting in to orbit with RO; I have SERIOUS issues controlling the orbit I get in to.  They tend not to be even slightly circular.  Or the height I want.

On 6/3/2017 at 4:27 AM, Temeter said:

Question: I'm currently writing a config for Kerbal Atomics, and I'm not sure how to size the Nerva I/II engines.

Apparently the config says 1.25m, but that one is quite old now. The VEN and SXT NERVA I have their own scale, but seems absurdly large compared to actual images, with a 3m nozzle diameter. SXT also has a massive difference between Nerva 1 and 2; I know the latter is smaller, but I'm not sure it's that much smaller.

Only really interesting size I've seen is the Timberwind 75, which is supposed to fit to a 2m diameter stage. Of course only a proposed, later design, but quite remarkable considering it's a high thrust upper stage engine.

edit: Hm, pictures do indicate that the NERVA-1's 1.25m is a fairly good measurement, the final nozzle might be even smaller. Nerva-Alpha+Gamma are also specifically stated to be 1.24m diameter. So 1.25 it is! Also a slight size increase to the Nerva-2 for good measure, KA's short engine is a bit small.

Also, BNTR is apparently 1.56m diameter according to a 2004 NASA presentation.

Take the Timberwind sizes from Wiki with a big caveat, also the 75 must be wrong.  The sizes listed are "System" sizes not engine sizes.  If the SNTP pictures after it are an indication it should be about Phoebus 1-2 sized with a larger nozzle. Probable 200-300:1 That means an extendable nozzle quite a bit larger than the engine body.

http://i.imgur.com/yHQhA.png

You can go see the Phoebus 1A in Los Vegas.

Edited by Bornholio

2 hours ago, Slainte Maith said:

Has anyone written a comprehensive guide to RSS/RO about being able to get in to perfectly circular orbits? (margin of error less than a km) I'm perfectly fine with automated assistance. In fact, if anyone can point out any instance of flight--manned or unmanned--where a spacecraft got into orbit -without- automated assistance, I'd love to know about it...

I don't have any issues getting in to orbit with RO; I have SERIOUS issues controlling the orbit I get in to.  They tend not to be even slightly circular.  Or the height I want.

"Ride the apoapsis"

Get a decent thrusted engine and climb up to apoapsis by adjusting your pitch, then once past it pitch up or down to maintain 0 m/s vertically.

19 minutes ago, Theysen said:

"Ride the apoapsis"

Get a decent thrusted engine and climb up to apoapsis by adjusting your pitch, then once past it pitch up or down to maintain 0 m/s vertically.

Yes, but once it gets close to 0 periapsis, the apoapsis goes nvts and skyrockets.  Even with negative pitch.  It's -very- tricky with something like sputnik where you don't get a second stage, or a payload with thrust to clean up after.

Close as I can get is Pe: 184km

Ap: 1.76853Mm.  I just can't react that fast.

Edited by Slainte Maith