[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

the dev version is on the RO discussion thread, it works fine for me with a couple of recommended mods.. follow these links, but remember that it is a beta, the authors are working on it to make the official 1.2.2. release : 

On 13/02/2017 at 1:25 PM, Sol Invictus said:

@JeeF No need rolling back. RO for KSP 1.2.2 is in it's pre-release stage, and it's working perfectly for me. Just download the latest master from github repository, then go after dependencies. Just don't use scatterer v0.0300 with it, as it will obliterate the framerate. Scatterer 0.0256 + RSSVE is fine however.

I have a question about the lander cans.

LanderCabinSmall and landerCabinMedium can transport one or two kerbals, differ in weight and volume for tanks. Is it intended, that they are of the same size? I think it would be more reasonable if the smaller one would be about 1/3 less in size. 

I suspect that comes from repurposing the original 3D lander can model. In addition, pods tend to come in two sizes (2m and 3.9m in RO/RP-0 AFAIK) so a different-sized pod would be confusing. 

Besides - Kerbals are used to tight spaces. Bill probably just bolted in a bunkbed or something and called it a 2-kerbal pod. 

Just out of curiosity: is nathankell dead or something? He was the guy who cared for most of the real-ish mods and surely knows the most about them and it seems like he simply disappeared.

Of course I'm not saying it like "where the heck is he it's all coz he's lazy that I can't play RO on 1.2 yet" but did I miss something or did he just leave without a trace? That's kinda worrying :/

1 hour ago, ColKlonk2 said:

Has throttling been turn off for the Russian engines ?, Or how does one set the throttle range in the config files .. maybe ?

Trying not to turn my naughts into pancakes at the end of a stage... :D

Most engines don't throttle IRL unless specifically designed to like the LEM engines, or the RD-171. You CAN edit the config files for this but you'd basically be cheating as the engines aren't meant to work that way. If you are getting extreme G forces on your upper stages you aren't designing your rockets properly.

3 hours ago, Zuppermati said:

Just out of curiosity: is nathankell dead or something? He was the guy who cared for most of the real-ish mods and surely knows the most about them and it seems like he simply disappeared.

Of course I'm not saying it like "where the heck is he it's all coz he's lazy that I can't play RO on 1.2 yet" but did I miss something or did he just leave without a trace? That's kinda worrying :/

He was hired by SQUAD a ways back, he kept doing modding work while working there. He then was one of the mass exodus of basically the entire KSP development team after 1.2 came out who all quit SQUAD. He has been on the forums a couple of times since to check on things, I assume he is busy with life. Many mods that were used by RO have either been abandoned or are not ready for stable 1.2 releases yet (1.2 changed a lot and therefore broke mod compatibility a lot), a lot of talented people are still working on getting things back together though but certainly KSP has had a somewhat uncertain future since the mass dev walkout.

I am just a lowly fan who appreciates the work of everyone who has made KSP my favorite game so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

4 hours ago, Zuppermati said:

He is here and he's taking a break from KSP. As for him knowing/caring the "most about realism", that is simply not true and is basically a spit into the face of everyone else who works on the project. There are plenty of people who know less than him and plenty that know more than him. This is especially true with the insane amount of work being done in the past few months by a couple of very dedicated members.

The project has ALWAYS been a collaborative project and at this point MOST of the work on it has been done by others, not him so discounting all the work done by everyone else is insulting. Him being here or not has absolutely NOTHING to do with the release state of the mod. He was never even the one who released these mods anyway. Most of the configs are made by independent contributors and the actual releases can be done by anyone in the upper management project team. For the past long while this has been @stratochief66 and he is very active on the RO project both internally and on IRC.

On a side note, RO has been ready for release for months now, it is the dependencies NOT CONTROLLED by the RO team that are holding it up. So you really should be complaining to those mod authors not belittling the team here by ignoring the work they have been doing. So I'm going to say this again for the 100000th time, stop asking for mod release updates, it's against the forum rules anyway.

Edited by raidernick

Now i don't want to start a flame war so I'll answer once to make all clear and let's stop here. Then moderators then can do whatever they want with my message.

You totally misunderstood what I was trying to say (and I thought I made it pretty clear). If I meant such arrogant things I would be spitting in my own face too since I made the RO configs for both DECQ's SLS and tiktaalik's MEM.

All I was asking about was simply what happened to him. Not because I feel that he must work 25/8 to ksp but because after RSS for 1.2 I noticed he went totally silent and when you are a very active figure in the realism mods suite and often give the community loads of status updates it kinda gets noticed. All I wanted to know was simply if anyone knew *why* he disappeared. For what I knew something bad could've happened to him and simply nobody noticed it. I simply missed that he leaved after 1.2 and kerrigan told me that with 2 rows, thing that you didn't in 5.

Also (since that's what upsets me) please quote me the exact portion of my message where I asked for the status mod (which I know it's ready since I'm currently enjoying it). I just asked for how a person was doing. Personally I'm waiting for DECQ to finish some of his works since half a year and even through I would point a gun to him to get his awesome works I'm silently waiting and I never ever asked him anything because I know he has a life too.

Dude you went mad without a reason.

Maybe someone can help me out with a code fragment for MM. I want to catch all parts from the MOLE-Mod and let them appear in the VAB correctly and not in the category "NON RO". What I need here is a way to call the parts name beginning with "WBI".

@PART[WBI*]:FOR[RealismOverhaul]
{
  %RSSROConfig
}

But this does nothing :-(

13 hours ago, raidernick said:

Most engines don't throttle IRL unless specifically designed to like the LEM engines, or the RD-171. You CAN edit the config files for this but you'd basically be cheating as the engines aren't meant to work that way. If you are getting extreme G forces on your upper stages you aren't designing your rockets properly.

Nah.. not cheating... and designed for throttling at the last 5% of each stage

The RD701 and NK 'one' (forget which) can throttle (RL according to RO) to 40% and 60% respectively. It just not happening and at '99.9999999'% throttle, the engines turn off.

Using the latest RO master from GitHub and KSP V1.22 ?

Maybe RO is just not ready !

:cool:

FYx7E8o.jpg

EDT: Solved

Not to worry = My BAD.. and KOS doesn't like you playing around with a LOCKED throttle. :blush:

Edited by ColKlonk2
add pic

On 3/10/2017 at 8:04 PM, New Horizons said:

I have a question about the lander cans.

LanderCabinSmall and landerCabinMedium can transport one or two kerbals, differ in weight and volume for tanks. Is it intended, that they are of the same size? I think it would be more reasonable if the smaller one would be about 1/3 less in size. 

I'm inclined to agree. Feel free to make a PR with your suggested change to RO, or note the inconsistency as an Issue there. :)

On 3/11/2017 at 5:49 PM, New Horizons said:

Maybe someone can help me out with a code fragment for MM. I want to catch all parts from the MOLE-Mod and let them appear in the VAB correctly and not in the category "NON RO". What I need here is a way to call the parts name beginning with "WBI".

@PART[WBI*]:FOR[RealismOverhaul]
{
  %RSSROConfig
}

But this does nothing :-(

I think you're pretty close, you just missed an important element.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/33048702d67e2ceed46054a48a533db7247c73dd/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_RecommendedMods/Procedurals/RO_ProceduralWing.cfg#L3

I pasted an example of how RO configs set that property. You've got to add the " = True " bit, then you should at least see your bit of MM code do something. :)

Not sure if here is the right place or i should post it elsewhere but i seem to notice some issues things with SSTU RO configs . So basically when i grab an engine and make it a cluster ignitor resources won't scale up .for example one could pick a F-1 . It originally comes with 1.0  of TEATEB  and its fine  but making a cluster using SSTU's own RMB menu has no effect on TEATEB value . Doesn't  seem to affect anything but just thought I'd put it here .

However SSTU H1/RS27 doesn't have any TEATEB at all and is NOT ignitable .

Spoiler

This

dRYWaax.png

Dug into Engine configs and SSTU RO configs and i think i found it (Not for resource scaling though)

Turns out resources were missing (TEATEB/EC)

SSTU H1 should be fine now

Spoiler

@PART[SSTU-SC-ENG-H1]:NEEDS[SSTU]:FOR[RealismOverhaul]
{
	%RSSROConfig = True
	%engineType = H1
	@mass = 0.988
	@maxTemp = 1973.15
	@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
		@minThrust = 1037.2
		@maxThrust = 1037.2
		@heatProduction = 100
		@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]
		{
			@name = Kerosene
			@ratio = 0.384
		}
		@PROPELLANT[Oxidizer]
		{
			@name = LqdOxygen
			@ratio = 0.616
		}
		@atmosphereCurve
		{
			@key,0 = 0 306
			@key,1 = 1 262
		}
		!IGNITOR_RESOURCE,* {}

}

//ADDED THESE .ENGINE IGNITES NOW
	RESOURCE
    {
				name = ElectricCharge
				amount = 0.5
				maxAmount =0.5
    }

RESOURCE
     {
                name = TEATEB
                amount = 1
				maxAmount = 1
     }

}

This is the first time i did anything for RO aside from making cheats  very real part upgrades for myself , I want to make a few more configs and i don't have a clue about the contribution process , so a little help here would be much appreciated . All i know from github is the "releases" tab :)

Edited by Alpha_Mike_741
Firefox totally messed everything up

3 minutes ago, Alpha_Mike_741 said:

Not sure if here is the right place or i should post it elsewhere but i seem to notice some issues things with SSTU RO configs . So basically when i grab an engine and make it a cluster ignitor resources won't scale up .for example one could pick F-1 . It originally comes with 1.0  of TEATEB  and its fine  but making a cluster using SSTU's own RMB menu has no effect on TEATEB value . Doesn't  seem to affect anything but just thought I'd put it here .

However SSTU H1/RS27 doesn't have any TEATEB at all and is NOT ignitable .

Reveal hidden contents

This

dRYWaax.png

Dug into Engine configs and SSTU RO configs and I'm confused . apparently There's a !IGNITOR_RESOURCE , *{} in SSTU_H1.cfg , It's my first time trying anything for RO so i may be well off track but i think the logic behind it was to leave IGNITOR_RESOURCE configs to RealFuels engine configs . but it's not working . However adding the lines below to SSTU_H1.cfg seems to fix it (workaround per say)

Hide contents

@PART[SSTU-SC-ENG-H1]:NEEDS[SSTU]:FOR[RealismOverhaul]
{
	%RSSROConfig = True
	%engineType = H1
	@mass = 0.988
	@maxTemp = 1973.15
	@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
		@minThrust = 1037.2
		@maxThrust = 1037.2
		@heatProduction = 100
		@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]
		{
			@name = Kerosene
			@ratio = 0.384
		}
		@PROPELLANT[Oxidizer]
		{
			@name = LqdOxygen
			@ratio = 0.616
		}
		@atmosphereCurve
		{
			@key,0 = 0 306
			@key,1 = 1 262
		}
		//!IGNITOR_RESOURCE,* {}  					Why is this here? other SSTU engine configs don't have it 
		//ADDED THESE .DONT KNOW HOW THE LOGIC SHOULD BE BUT THIS SEEMS TO WORK 
		%IGNITOR_RESOURCE
            {
                name = ElectricCharge
                amount = 0.5
            }

%IGNITOR_RESOURCE
            {
                name = TEATEB
                amount = 1
            }
	}
}

Also F-1B configs don't have !IGNITOR_RESOURCE lines at all .confusing:confused:

the Ignitor resource used to be core to how restart-able engines were. Now, they are mostly just important for 'balancing'/making more realistic the restart of very restartable engines, since starting up an engine in reality sort of wastes a bit of fuel to inefficient combustion & spinning up pumps each restart.

If you're not sure what an engine (or any part) finally looks like when it is used by the game, I suggest checking it out in your local ModuleManager.ConfigCache. If you're more curious and want to know which patches lead to that final configuration, I'll have to Grep or poke through various MM patches to find all the ones that touch that config during load. Here, the " engineType = H1 " line flags the part to have this RO patch apply the central H1 config to the part in a later MM cycle:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/master/GameData/RealismOverhaul/Engine_Configs/H1_Config.cfg

Nobody is currently managing/updating RO configs for SSTU, but if you post any oddities you notice as an Issue on the RO Github, someone who comes in with an interest in doing that will have an easy place to look for existing bugs they could address. My general suggestion would be to check for other parts that are similar (like the Merlin, which takes multiple engine configs in RF/RO) and see if it experiences the same problem. If it does, you'd want to note that issue as well in an RO Issue. If it doesn't then "make the config for the broken part look/work more like the config for the working part" is good general advice. Regardless, I'm glad you found a quick fix that got it working for you. :)

I have a question to the guys running the RO on 1.2.2.   I have manually installed the RO/RSS and RP-0 twice now and while everything works pretty much fine as far as i can tell i have a problem with all the parts showing in non-RP0 category. Like... ALL of em. Is that a common issue or i did something wrong?

19 minutes ago, species said:

I have a question to the guys running the RO on 1.2.2.   I have manually installed the RO/RSS and RP-0 twice now and while everything works pretty much fine as far as i can tell i have a problem with all the parts showing in non-RP0 category. Like... ALL of em. Is that a common issue or i did something wrong?

Compile the tree.ymml from the RP-0 branch into tree.cfg with a PERL compiler, otherwise the parts won't be tagged correctly. 

Edited by Theysen

20 minutes ago, Theysen said:

Compile the tree.ymml from the RP-0 branch into tree.cfg with a PERL compiler, otherwise the parts won't be tagged correctly. 

Had no idea is not compiled! Thank you so much! 

15 hours ago, Theysen said:

Finally, after some hours of learning Perl, managed to get tree.cfg :P Its finally working!!!! Is there a similar process with any of the dependencies? Or i shuold be good to go? (i can finally see the parts! )